Rd 2 v Carlton. Pre Match thread !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Bakes is suspended he is fit....

but i suspect there will be 2 or 3 ins

gehrig/Goddard/Blake maybe

super dooper
Club Player

Id give Gilbert first crack at juddy, followed by fish

would Geary get the gig perhaps??

just hope we get the 4 pts and dont care how its done!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:In: Gehrig, Goddard, Blake

Out: Raph, Fiora, Jones/Gilbert

Reckon Gilbo needs a game or two with the Scorps to get his mojo back. Seems to have lost confidence in his ability to break lines
i like them both but atm gilbert >>> jones. more versatile, bigger and (believe it or not) a better kick.

jones's gutsy mark (which is on the back page of my herald sun) was a beauty, though.
purely and soley on the back of CJ's awesome mark, he must get a game next week.

Stuff like that is rare in a young player and must be rewarded.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:In: Gehrig, Goddard, Blake

Out: Raph, Fiora, Jones/Gilbert

Reckon Gilbo needs a game or two with the Scorps to get his mojo back. Seems to have lost confidence in his ability to break lines
i like them both but atm gilbert >>> jones. more versatile, bigger and (believe it or not) a better kick.

jones's gutsy mark (which is on the back page of my herald sun) was a beauty, though.
purely and soley on the back of CJ's awesome mark, he must get a game next week.

Stuff like that is rare in a young player and must be rewarded.
well i wouldn't drop either of them. imo fiora out for gehrig and c. gardiner out for bj.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i'd drop, in order:

Raph, Fiora, CJ, Geary, Gardiner, Fisher

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Lynch Beast
Club Player

Judd out in space = average

Judd in a contested situation with a quick but outside player on him = C. Judd - 3 votes

Judd in a contested situation with a tough, stoppage expert/contested style tagger on him = solid grunt but nothing special (Look at games against Rawlings, Ball, Baker, Sewell, Shirly, Mark McVei, kane Johnson - all decent games but very rarely polled brownlow votes)

Never play a quick player on Judd (Aka, McMahon, Walker, Delideo ect) put the same player that you would put on Sam Mitchell, Michael Voss or Simon Black because Judd is for the most part a very inside player, a grunt, a grunt with unbelievably clean hands, decision making, strength, balance and acceleration but still a grunt.

90% of the time his disposal will come from a contested situation and possibly linking from that, this includes the majority of his goals which will be from a boundary throw ins and ball ups around the forward 50 - this was a set play for eagles in 06 leading up to the finals because of Hansens injury problems. The ball would be kicked to the half forward flank repeatedly (much to the chagrin of the commentators who would just blame Lynch and Staker for leading to the wrong spot) it gained 80m for the team and allowed Cox/Judd/Cousins/Kerr to be at there most dangerous, I think the 4 of them ended up combining for 80 goals that year.

Avoid stoppages forward of centre !

This is VITAL, Judd WILL create goals if given the slightest opportunities anywhere forward of the interchange gates.

Richmond did a very good job avoiding the stoppages in the Blues forward line but every time there was one a score was very likely.

Judd in a free running game is no better than any other inside mid in space like Sam Mitchell or Simon Black, solid but nothing at all special - but put them in a contest and they will kill you. He rarely uses his pace to run off half back or push out to space and mark on the wings or flanks like most guys with pace.

Play a guy like Fisher or Ball on him, tougher the better just don't put an outside/run the lines type player on him because he will carve him a new one.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

How can you drop CJ after his effort in the forward line? What does that send to the players? Lyon has highlighted it a number of times, has to play...whether his form warrants it or not.

Why would we drop Gram when he nearly made AA last year and was best on ground in a GF two weeks ago?

Raph or Gilbert don't make sense to me either given neither Goddard or G are defenders?

Fiora for Goddard - spare parts player on the night
Gehrig for C Gardiner - 3rd tall.

Gives a team of:

R Clarke Hudghton Geary
Gram S Fisher Gilbert
Montagna Hayes Schneider
Jones Riewoldt X Clarke
Milne Koschitzcke Gehrig
M Gardiner Dal Santo L Fisher
King Harvey Goddard Ball

EMERG C Gardiner Blake Fiora

That's of course doing the team without matchups!!!

nicko016
Club Player

I'd probably go with Gehrig and Goddard in for Fiora and C. Gardiner but it could easily be Raph and Fiora or C. Gardiner and Raph. A lot of it could depend on where Goddard plays. He may be eased in across HF in which case it would have to be C. Gardiner but if he is to play across HB it could instead be Raph. Finally, they may be reluctant to drop Fiora to keep because of his run and carry, even though he's been providing little of late.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:How can you drop CJ after his effort in the forward line? What does that send to the players? Lyon has highlighted it a number of times, has to play...whether his form warrants it or not.
says that:
5 kicks (1 clanger)
4 handballs (7 unconested possessions)
4 marks
in 66minutes of football may not quite be what Ross is after... only player that performed worse was Fiora

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:How can you drop CJ after his effort in the forward line? What does that send to the players? Lyon has highlighted it a number of times, has to play...whether his form warrants it or not.

So Jones gets a go because he got crunched last week, while Fiora and Gardiner get dropped despite the fact that they both clearly played better than Jones...I really don't see the logic there.

I'm not having a go at you (and I'm certain that Lyon won't drop Jones), I just can't understand how actual football skill is so low on people's priorities.

mischa
Club Player

If we can't beat that criminal crap by at least 60 points, it will be very disappointing.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

If we go through form from preseason and round 1, you'd have to think Gehrig's a straight swap for Fiora, the guy who came in for him.

If Goddard is ready, it's a no brainer to include him, but for who? Candidates would have to include Gilbert (love the guy, but he's out of form at the moment), Raph (not because he's done anything to be dropped as the usual suspects would have it - Gilbert's been worse - but because he's on that borderline right now, and Goddard is simply better), Geary (shame, played well, but again, who'd you rather have?)... Gram also had a stinker against Sydney, but his form leading up to it has been good, so you just take it as a one off.

The other option is CJ, not because he deserves to be dropped (for once), but because after a knock to the head like that, giving him a weeks rest may be the easiest solution to the numbers problem.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
yipper
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:If we go through form from preseason and round 1, you'd have to think Gehrig's a straight swap for Fiora, the guy who came in for him.

If Goddard is ready, it's a no brainer to include him, but for who? Candidates would have to include Gilbert (love the guy, but he's out of form at the moment), Raph (not because he's done anything to be dropped as the usual suspects would have it - Gilbert's been worse - but because he's on that borderline right now, and Goddard is simply better), Geary (shame, played well, but again, who'd you rather have?)... Gram also had a stinker against Sydney, but his form leading up to it has been good, so you just take it as a one off.

The other option is CJ, not because he deserves to be dropped (for once), but because after a knock to the head like that, giving him a weeks rest may be the easiest solution to the numbers problem.
Gehrig in for Fiora.
Goddard in for either L.Fisher (dead stiff) or Jones. I defended him strongly on the basis he was labelled useless - he was far from that. But did he do enough over the whole game to hold out a Goddard - no he didn't. What he did was very good - he was MOST DEFINATELY not "useless" - anyone who thinks he was, just doesn't know how to play footy.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Goddard in for sure, but on the HF line. Is our best long kick at goal. We desperately need someone who can dob the odd 50m+ goal.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

So Jones gets a go because he got crunched last week, while Fiora and Gardiner get dropped despite the fact that they both clearly played better than Jones...I really don't see the logic there.

I'm not having a go at you (and I'm certain that Lyon won't drop Jones), I just can't understand how actual football skill is so low on people's priorities.
I agree with you on football skills and in the context of the game, I would give CJ one more. Gardiner may have got more possies but in my eyes had a shocker and is the perfect swap for BJ.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

After what I saw at training today, I would say the only change will be Fraser (who was dropped last week) for who knows.

Gehrig was never going to play last week and was not injured.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Quixote
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:Play Ball on Judd. Didn't work a couple of years ago and made Ball look second rate, but Judd has slowed down he's ready to be destroyed by Ball.
Tend to agree here. I have major doubts on Fish running with Judd, injured or no.

Bring on the battle of the groins I say.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I agree Bernard, G in for Fizz.

I think Carlton will try to exploit us for pace as they can't match us for height and size so as BJ may not be ready to hit top gear immediately it may pay to hold on to Charlie who is quick, 100% AFL match fit and deserves a couple of games in a row at his new club.

Carlton appeared underdone last week and ran out of puff so I don't subscribe to helping them out by them a couple of our players who may be underdone.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Oh yeah, great post above Lynch Beast, I enjoyed reading your obs of someone you would have watched a lot of, very informative.

Boppa
Club Player

I cant understand why so many on here are so keen for L.Fisher to be one of the guys dropped for this week. He had a massive job on Goodes and absolutely destroyed a guy who is probably Sydney's most dangerous player. Fish must be kept in and given the job on any one of Judd, Stevens or Murphy. He can definitely do a job on any of them, Judd is nowhere near the same guy at the moment we saw destroy opposition teams at the Eagles.

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
Quixote
SS Life Member

Also think Raph is going ok - give him more game-time and he could break loose.

No way known Jones will be dropped and rightly so. His pace completely alters the dynamic of our defensive/tackling game - it creates a mindset of pressure in the opposition players, even when he is off the ground. All the Jones bashers need to get over it - the kid can play.

So I'd say Fraser in, Fiora out. Goddard in, and... Geary out. As an aside, wouldn't be surprised to see one or two pull up sore from Saturday's game and miss.

Wrapped ATM with X Clarke, M Gardiner. X is obviously further ahead and on the verge of tearing the place apart (if you don't think he is already; I encourage you, re-watch some of his quarters so far this year and you'll see what he does and what I mean), M Gardiner is coming on super-well and as another poster noted, if he's still fit and playing mid-year - look out.

Don't underestimate the win against the Swans. They were desperate, brutally tough, fit and completely hungry for the win. Think they'll play finals again, at least. Yet we got over the line - were in front 100% of the time, actually. Whilst (first q aside) not playing all that well. And important quality to return. Thought it was a very encouraging win.

Let's hope we don't let all that slip this week against the Blues.

Somehow I don't think we will.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:After what I saw at training today, I would say the only change will be Fraser (who was dropped last week) for who knows.

Gehrig was never going to play last week and was not injured.
Why was G never going to play then?

rexy
SS Life Member

The way I see it G comes in for CGardiner and Roo pushes further up the ground and BJ comes in for Fiora and plays off the bench anywhere between HB and HF as Fiora did last week.

According to the paper (small one) Scneider and Milne the lowest ranked players on the ground yet have no preassure from any of us??????

Maybe this year?
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

rexy wrote: According to the paper (small one) Scneider and Milne the lowest ranked players on the ground yet have no preassure from any of us??????
Milne played a good game, didn't capitailse on all of his opportunities, but kicked 1, set up M Gardiner (who missed an easy shot) and didn't do too much wrong.

Schneider was ok, obviously pretty nervous, and will be a LOT better for the run, especially getting the syndey game out of the way

Carpe Diem
Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

I think G should come in for either C Gardiner or Geary
and if Goddard is ready but i would give him another week he should come in for Gilbo who too me looks very tired and suffering from 2 year blues in his 3rd year.

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz