Good Signs in my opinion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnak
Club Player

Good Signs in my opinion

I think there are some good signs, there were definitely some great midfield breaks and clearances. There were some good efforts in the backline and there was some risk taking by midfielders to kick goals.

Yes at times we were sloppy but the blues didn't punish us.

We started flat but really we just cruised today.

And of course our forward line in terms of talls didn't function today, but I'm not super concerned at this point as other options popped up. We had 2 goals from a ruckman, 4 goals from Milne, 3 from the X man. These are the things we've been after all preseason.

When you consider 2004 we came out firing and smashing teams. Our big forwards were firing, however; we were predictable and we didn't have much improvement left in us.

I for one am quite pleased with tonights win. There are quite a number of great signs. And of course Kosi is gonna come back and dominate when he hits form again. He has just come back from an injury ffs!

Carn the Saints!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

We won easily playing fairly average football for a lot of the game ...

That's a good sign if we improve over the next few weeks.

It's not a good sign if tonight was our best match.

But purely through the addition of Goddard and better games from Kosi, Rooey and Dal we can improve ... and starting the game better.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We get sucked into the opposition's game.

Last week....this week.

Should have really monstered Carlton after half time...got ten goals up and took the foot off.

One of the worst displays of umpiring...worse each week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The signs are good 'if' we improve to what we are capable of,but I'm starting to doubt whether we are capable under Lyon. Whenever we win we win messy,and we say imagine if we play well?? But we've been saying this for a year now!!

Let's make no mistake,Carlton were an utter disgrace tonight,they should of been done by 80+ if we were fair dinkum.

Our entire structure doesn't gel,we are terribly inefficient going forward,we look tired finishing off games due to the taxing gameplan. I am not convinced at the moment we are going in the right direction, and thats up!

It is a positive that there is a lot of 'potential' improvement,but is Lyon capable of finding that improvement??? He's shown nothing to me yet that he has or will.Painfully overcoached springs to mind when watching this side. A lot of people are saying he's a genius,I've not seen that yet! Loved the way he's rebuilt the list this year,but we're not putting together on gameday..

Let's hope he can sort out this junk football,and quick smart,cos the opposition get's tougher from here on in. We wouldn't of got within Cooee of a good side tonight.

st paddy
Club Player

jonesy wrote:The signs are good 'if' we improve to what we are capable of,but I'm starting to doubt whether we are capable under Lyon. Whenever we win we win messy,and we say imagine if we play well?? But we've been saying this for a year now!!

Let's make no mistake,Carlton were an utter disgrace tonight,they should of been done by 80+ if we were fair dinkum.

Our entire structure doesn't gel,we are terribly inefficient going forward,we look tired finishing off games due to the taxing gameplan. I am not convinced at the moment we are going in the right direction, and thats up!

It is a positive that there is a lot of 'potential' improvement,but is Lyon capable of finding that improvement??? He's shown nothing to me yet that he has or will.Painfully overcoached springs to mind when watching this side. A lot of people are saying he's a genius,I've not seen that yet! Loved the way he's rebuilt the list this year,but we're not putting together on gameday..

Let's hope he can sort out this junk football,and quick smart,cos the opposition get's tougher from here on in. We wouldn't of got within Cooee of a good side tonight.
Yes I agree - he really is struggling on game day this year.

6 wins from 6 starts - he really needs to have a major rethink. :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I must have witnessed a different match.

We were pathetic really.

Still, after all this time, we seem to be poorly drilled in terms of what hell it is that we're actually trying to do.

Thank god for Lenny Hayes is all I can say.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:
jonesy wrote:The signs are good 'if' we improve to what we are capable of,but I'm starting to doubt whether we are capable under Lyon. Whenever we win we win messy,and we say imagine if we play well?? But we've been saying this for a year now!!

Yes I agree - he really is struggling on game day this year.

6 wins from 6 starts - he really needs to have a major rethink. :roll:
Last time I checked it was round 2...unless you're counting that Mickey mouse 'SUPERGOAL' rubbish in febuary :roll: . If so,then all is well and good,we won a flag hooray all is rosy.

P.S- I want to win a day flag! The rubbish we've dished up the last fortnight won't come close!

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

I think Walls actually made a good point, if we're playing badly and winning, what will we be like when we play well...and i'm sure we will (touchwood)

admittedly Carlton are a dud team compared to the Geelongs etc. so we have to lift our game.. the 3rd quarter was shocking really... rather painful to watch, lots of laboring, just seemed like everyone was on lag

what is with Roo and Kozzi kicking for goal? one feels with all the talk of those two who are fine players, that G-Train will once again be the go to man mainly at FF

can't wait for the inclusions of Maguire and Goddard - massive

Huzzad
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:I must have witnessed a different match.

We were pathetic really.

Still, after all this time, we seem to be poorly drilled in terms of what hell it is that we're actually trying to do.

Thank god for Lenny Hayes is all I can say.
Thank God for Max, Lenny and the G-Train. Would have been very different without those 3.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
widereceiver
Club Player

I agree and add Milne. He could certainly hold his head high, not just for his goal-sneaking either.

Welcome back G

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Rodger, Rodger, Rodger, what a sad bastard you are. Yep, we aint setting the world on fire, but we are winning. You use words like pathetic as if we should be disgusted. It's nonsense. Give me a 2-0 start any year, especially with improvement to come.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
spert
Saintsational Legend

Good win, but our onballers and midfielders needed a lot more intensity around the packs and ball ups earlier in the game -we won't get away with that against stronger teams.

mischa
Club Player

LaUrEnCe wrote:I think Walls actually made a good point, if we're playing badly and winning, what will we be like when we play well...and i'm sure we will (touchwood)
Good or just the glaringly obvious. I think if a hearse could talk it would sound like 'scumbag'-the sound of death.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
BelfastSaint
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:Rodger, Rodger, Rodger, what a sad bastard you are.
:D :D :D

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i dont see an issue as we have won both our games...sure we havent played too well and certain players havent played the way we know they can....its not as if the coaching staff and players dont know this...

its only round 2, be thankful we have had two wins...it would be alot worse and the typical saintsational panicking would have settled in...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt we can play better, our 22 can get better, cannot complain about being 2 zip and no new injuries, best position we've been in for a while.

We gave them a 4 goal start and let them kick the last 3, that's 42 points we gifted.

hAyES
Club Player

Good post, completely agree. When you've got Riewoldt, Kosi and Gehrig in your forward line get it in there quickly! We're too busy manning up which kills our counter attack, and too many times at the game I saw the players giving the slow it down sign with their hands when their mindset should be the exact opposite. If we want to make a grand final this year, we need to focus on ATTACK rather than trying to shut teams down, particularly a joke team like Carlton.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Rodger, Rodger, Rodger, what a sad bastard you are. Yep, we aint setting the world on fire, but we are winning. You use words like pathetic as if we should be disgusted. It's nonsense. Give me a 2-0 start any year, especially with improvement to come.
So you think the signs are good from what you've seen so far this year? In particular last night?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Rodger, Rodger, Rodger, what a sad bastard you are. Yep, we aint setting the world on fire, but we are winning. You use words like pathetic as if we should be disgusted. It's nonsense. Give me a 2-0 start any year, especially with improvement to come.
So you think the signs are good from what you've seen so far this year? In particular last night?

It was round 2 doofus ,ROUND 2!! Give it time to gel, jeezus!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

It was round 2 doofus ,ROUND 2!! Give it time to gel, jeezus!
Doofus??

I was responding to a thread created after ROUND 2.

A thread which after ROUND 2, suggests the signs are good.

I disagree. I don't think the signs are good at all so far.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I agree with you Rodge, we're already 2 weeks into a 26 week season, we should be peaking now and smashing teams by 183 points, even teams we haven't played yet!!!!
The guys should be drilled to the level where they instinctively finish each others sentences in interviews and the AFL should concede that we are so far in front of the competition that they should just call the whole thing off now and give us the cup !!
Gee, it's not like any other teams players are competitive elite athletes that play to win, they really just want the privilege of being at the ground so they can tell their grandkiddies in years to come that they were pounded by the legendary 08 Saints side. Really more like living witches hats if you will.

Tool.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I agree with you Rodge, we're already 2 weeks into a 26 week season, we should be peaking now and smashing teams by 183 points, even teams we haven't played yet!!!!
The guys should be drilled to the level where they instinctively finish each others sentences in interviews and the AFL should concede that we are so far in front of the competition that they should just call the whole thing off now and give us the cup !!
Gee, it's not like any other teams players are competitive elite athletes that play to win, they really just want the privilege of being at the ground so they can tell their grandkiddies in years to come that they were pounded by the legendary 08 Saints side. Really more like living witches hats if you will.

Tool.
In the context of a thread that talks about good signs from last night, I cannot see the relevance of what you have just posted.

Are you sure you were responding to my post?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Well I think the signs are good.
Lenno has returned to his best.
Max is injury free
King and Gardiner are playing and contributing
Joey and Chips continue to excel
X is finally showing some consistency
Geary looks a find
Ball is improving and is back to B grade at least...

Some good signs for me, game plan comes with time, sheez its not like these blokes have played in the same side before, half the side has been missing for 3 years....

fred

I'm disappointed with how they played the first two games, especially against Carlton. To even think about having extra players in defence is wrong against the blues.
If we haven't got the skill and talent to play them on our terms - fast and direct - we'll never beat teams like Geelong. They don't muck around in the backline waiting for something to happen. They move it down fast so the other team has no time to get back. Speed of movement will open the forward line for our big blokes.

villasaint
Club Player

any win is a good win. I just dont think we played that well. bulldogs will be a decent test for us this week as they have started well. BJ in probably Raph out.