Raph Clarke !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Whenever I see someone defending Raph, it's always someone saying something like "FFS leave him alone" or "Everybody bags him, leave him alone" or "oh look, another Raph thread!", but rarely do I see one defending his play. Is there anybody here who can tell me what Raph is good at, apart from getting caught after holding the ball for forever? I'd like to see that rather than the pathetic "leave him alone" posts which he gets just because he plays for St Kilda.

Once Goddard and Goose come back, if Raph isn't dropped by then I'm going to lose hope with Ross (selection wise) or whoever it is that keeps giving him a game.
thats cute, asks people to put forward reasons for defending him and yet in the same paragraph gives no reason to drop him?

Contested marks, running the lines in a contested tight match, can actually spoil (apart from max can anyone else?). Full of talent and needs to play 10+ games in this defence to get the feel for who is around the options the coaches want him to make.

But don't let facts get in the way....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
hAyES wrote:Whenever I see someone defending Raph, it's always someone saying something like "FFS leave him alone" or "Everybody bags him, leave him alone" or "oh look, another Raph thread!", but rarely do I see one defending his play. Is there anybody here who can tell me what Raph is good at, apart from getting caught after holding the ball for forever? I'd like to see that rather than the pathetic "leave him alone" posts which he gets just because he plays for St Kilda.

Once Goddard and Goose come back, if Raph isn't dropped by then I'm going to lose hope with Ross (selection wise) or whoever it is that keeps giving him a game.
thats cute, asks people to put forward reasons for defending him and yet in the same paragraph gives no reason to drop him?

Contested marks, running the lines in a contested tight match, can actually spoil (apart from max can anyone else?). Full of talent and needs to play 10+ games in this defence to get the feel for who is around the options the coaches want him to make.

But don't let facts get in the way....
110% agree Solar, why do we need DEFENDERS who can SPOIL in the team anyway???

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Basically IMO this year is make or break for Raph.

He is injury free and had a decent pre-season.

He is being given a proper run in the team.

He's played 30-odd games now and knows the ropes at this level.

2008 is time for him to step up and produce good football (which he has shown he can play) CONSISTENTLY at AFL level.

If we don't see that this year then I would start to think that the won't make it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If Raph is our 15th, 22nd, 25th or even 30th ranked player on our list then our list is in pretty good shape. He's about 6'3", can leap, mark and spoil. With Max retiring soon, I believe he's quite valuable as he's going to be a semi fixture of our back 6 this year.

All these critics whinging about him being run down, not one has mentioned that he ignored a player who was open or on a good lead or running beside him when he was run down. The reason? Because none of those situations were happening.

Far worse players played last Saturday, shouldn't a player be criticised for a game and not a perception held over from previous games?

hAyES
Club Player

Reasons for dropping him? Ok:

- My grandmother is quicker than him
- Is not a good kick
- Gets beaten by his man every week
- Game after game gets run down

One thing I do like about him is occasionally he takes a mark backing back, but apart from that there's nothing to like about him.

IMO this is our best back 6:

Gram Max Gilbert
Fisher Maguire Goddard

Not to mention players like Baker, L. Fisher. To all those who think he needs to be a permanent backmen in this team, who out of those 8 players that I just mentioned does he deserve to get a game over?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Reasons for dropping him? Ok:

- My grandmother is quicker than him
- Is not a good kick
- Gets beaten by his man every week
- Game after game gets run down
If any of that were true then he wouldn't be playing.

Yet he is....... :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As a permanent back, I'd play him in front of Baker and L. Fisher. Also for when we play a side whose 4th tall forward is over 6', I'd play him in front of Gram.

Once Max retires, someone will need to step up to pick up an oppos 3rd tall, that will probably be Gilbo unless we pluck a full back from our proverbial. Which means a permanent spot opens up for a versatile defender who can play on tall forwards.

Gets beaten by his man EVERY week, somehow I do not think that has been the case. Game after game gets run down, again I don't think that's happened.

I'm impressed though, you have a super quick grandmother, you two must be a formidable combination in the retirement home's egg and spoon race.

hAyES
Club Player

Raph over Gram? Nice choice taking out the only player in our backline that will take on the opposition. If Raph tries that, it's holding the ball against him. And I'm not even 21. You'll be seeing a retirement home before I do.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:As a permanent back, I'd play him in front of Baker and L. Fisher. .
youd pick raph before u picked baker????
i seriously cant agree with that.
Baker can tag, play back pocket and is one of the most fearless toughest nuts in the comp...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Raph over Gram? Nice choice taking out the only player in our backline that will take on the opposition. If Raph tries that, it's holding the ball against him. And I'm not even 21. You'll be seeing a retirement home before I do.
I'll try again, you are getting confused with your ridiculous and emotional biased perceptions of Raph. I would not play Gram on a tall forward, that is what I actually said.

I love Gram running off the half back line, unfortunately for him he had a worse game than Raph last week so you are trying to bait an argument in the wrong week. Gram made some uncharacteristic disposal errors last week, was exposed on some fundamental defensive skills and showed some stupidity in getting a ball back to a Sydney player in the first quarter, allowing his opponent to run off and kick Sydney's first goal. This was the end of our excellent start and allowed Sydney to be in the game at quarter time.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:As a permanent back, I'd play him in front of Baker and L. Fisher. .
youd pick raph before u picked baker????
i seriously cant agree with that.
Baker can tag, play back pocket and is one of the most fearless toughest nuts in the comp...
Matrix, Hayes asked about permanent backs. I realise Baker is more a tagger or a back pocket on a small forward.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

baker is a backman....when he plays he's named in the back pocket.
so i thought that means he's a backman.
since when has baker played on the centrehalf backline or the back flanks?
if he did then picking raph before baker would make sense, but he doesnt play on the back flanks.

and no way would i play raph over gram either
but thats just my opinion

i hope raph plays a blinder tonight....im just glad birss aint getting a game
:twisted:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I definately agree with you on Birss, Matrix. If he's playing, we have some serious injuries or form slumps. We'll agree to disagree on Bakes. I don't care where he's named but more often than not I associate him picking up the opposition's most damaging midfielder...that puts him in the centre square.

Like I've said, I love Gram running off the half back line but IMO he must pick up their least effective small to medium forward for him to be effective. I never want to see Gram picking up O'Loughlin, O'keefe or Grundy or a similar player from another club.

jill
Club Player

Well done tonight Raph!

Huzzad
Club Player

Yeah a better game from Raph tonight. Bit of a question mark over his disposals (especially one- I am sure you know what I am talking about) but definatly an improvement on last week.

Still VERY skeptical that he will be fruitful for us, but if he could build on this game I'd atleast be a little happier.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:.

Still VERY skeptical that he will be fruitful for us, but if he could build on this game I'd atleast be a little happier.
Who cares what you think. Raph is getting better every game and Ross Lyon is showing that he knows a hell of a lot more about football than you and the other flogs who are always on Raphs back.

Was again very good in a very tight backline, but the anti-Raph agenda will continue I am sure.

His disposal and clam under pressure was very good and if Gram could dispose like Raph we would be in much better shape.

And John from Dandenong who rings up 3AW or SEN every time the Saints play and bags the s.hite out of Raph - get stuffed you know nothing cabbage :evil: :evil: . Neale Daniher put you in your place tonight when you demanded Raph be dropped :roll: .

Daniher said that a coach would love a Raph type. Can play on a tall or a small, has "Rhys-Jones" like pace and will improve with confidence and Ross Lyon is correct to continue to play him.

Raph made you pathetic internet hero's eat your words tonight and will continue to do so.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Who cares what you think. Raph is getting better every game and Ross Lyon is showing that he knows a hell of a lot more about football than you and the other flogs who are always on Raphs back.

Was again very good in a very tight backline, but the anti-Raph agenda will continue I am sure.

His disposal and clam under pressure was very good and if Gram could dispose like Raph we would be in much better shape.

And John from Dandenong who rings up 3AW or SEN every time the Saints play and bags the s.hite out of Raph - get stuffed you know nothing cabbage :evil: :evil: . Neale Daniher put you in your place tonight when you demanded Raph be dropped :roll: .

Daniher said that a coach would love a Raph type. Can play on a tall or a small, has "Rhys-Jones" like pace and will improve with confidence and Ross Lyon is correct to continue to play him.

Raph made you pathetic internet hero's eat your words tonight and will continue to do so.
Well said young man !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Raph had a shocking first half.......a better second...

he looks short on confidence....looks to handball at every opportunity (which is an indicator)....

He was very indecisive early.....not sure wheher to fly or not, or whether to mark or punch....

He improved after HT....I reckon Ross spoke to him about backing himself

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: He improved after HT....I reckon Ross spoke to him about backing himself
His brother did.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Huzzad
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Well that is kinda redundant and ironic considering this is ap ublic forum, and by definition, a place to share opinion. Whether you care what I think or not is completely pointless. If you don't care what i think, perhaps you should not read forum posts....
Plus to further your hipocricy you start ranting on about what you think. Um...hello?
I hold you to that. And like I have said before, I am more than happy for Raph to prove me wrong, in fact I'd love for him to prove me wrong, I am more than happy to swallow my pride in order to have a good player. As I have said before, for the amount of times I have seen this chap play, I don't see what RL sees in him. Can we move on now?

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Just got back form the game with my old man and sister and he kept saying that every time the blues went forward Raph would punch. This was actually clever, becuase by punching it, he formed congestion which meant Carlton needed a contested possession to goal and they were struggling to get contested possessions all night. His second half was terriifc. He fought hard, made some mistakes, but truly earnt his place in the team tonight.

Will only get better. To all the nay sayers, just watch him. He will prove you wrong and prove to you that he fair dinkum DESERVES to be out there, certainly much mroe than you keyboard heroes.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Joffaboy wrote: Raph made you pathetic internet hero's eat your words tonight and will continue to do so.
Huzzad wrote:I hold you to that.
Who gives a f### what you hold me to? I couldn't care less about some flog and their insipid turgid and pathetic opinions and idiotic chest beating threats to - hold me to something. :roll:

What a cabbage

Huzzad wrote:And like I have said before, I am more than happy for Raph to prove me wrong, in fact I'd love for him to prove me wrong,
Well you must have been more than happy tonight. He was very good.

Huzzad wrote:I am more than happy to swallow my pride in order to have a good player. As I have said before, for the amount of times I have seen this chap play, I don't see what RL sees in him. Can we move on now?
What pride? All you and the other flogs do is get on here and critisise someone you couldn't ever hold a candle to. I hear people like you at the football every week, the ones who scream the loudest and crtisise the most are the one who have never played the game, or any game for that matter.

tell you what mate. You get fit, get drafted and then go out and do better.

You people who bag and crtisise our own team and players are pathetic losers.

Hold me to that you tool. :evil:

Lance or James??

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Thought Raph again defended well tonight, yes he punched a couple of times when he should have marked, but I wonder if that was instructions from the coaching staff???

Not sure if many of you were there, but Raph (and Chips) read the play very well and plug holes in defence with their positioning and contesting especially with leads. Good defenders for mine.

Raph also did some good work in close round the ball as well.

Improving well, didn't really have a matchup tonight which didn't help him...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Joffaboy wrote: Raph made you pathetic internet hero's eat your words tonight and will continue to do so.
Huzzad wrote:I hold you to that.
Who gives a f### what you hold me to? I couldn't care less about some flog and their insipid turgid and pathetic opinions and idiotic chest beating threats to - hold me to something. :roll:

What a cabbage

Huzzad wrote:And like I have said before, I am more than happy for Raph to prove me wrong, in fact I'd love for him to prove me wrong,
Well you must have been more than happy tonight. He was very good.

Huzzad wrote:I am more than happy to swallow my pride in order to have a good player. As I have said before, for the amount of times I have seen this chap play, I don't see what RL sees in him. Can we move on now?
What pride? All you and the other flogs do is get on here and critisise someone you couldn't ever hold a candle to. I hear people like you at the football every week, the ones who scream the loudest and crtisise the most are the one who have never played the game, or any game for that matter.

tell you what mate. You get fit, get drafted and then go out and do better.

You people who bag and crtisise our own team and players are pathetic losers.

Hold me to that you tool. :evil:
Nice and relaxed Joffaboy after the hols??

Solar
Saintsational Legend

started to use his body a little better tonight, one situation he thought through the situation very well, put himself between the ball and the opposition football, allowing a saint to come in and grab the ball to clear. Lead to a goal at the other end.

With the amount of ball coming in I thought the whole backline was awesome!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith