What's wrong with Kosi ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jk23
Club Player

What's wrong with Kosi ??

He is having a very bad run... Why ?????

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

He's playing forward. He's not very good at it.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

How can you say that, he had a bad game tonight but everyone can't be great every week. The last week his issue was goalkicking. But so was everyone's.

Is he going to be the whipping boy for this week? If so, let's hope he responds the same way Raph, Fizz and JB did tonight.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Has only ever done well as a forward when he's the primary target. Has never been able to work with two other talls.

And he's lost all condifence in his kicking for goal.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Has only ever done well as a forward when he's the primary target. Has never been able to work with two other talls.

And he's lost all condifence in his kicking for goal.
Also never had great results as a forward when against a genuine defender.

Needs to drift down back for mine.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Listening to the reverend he seems to think Kosi is a ruck man that drifts forward not a forward that can ruck a bit. At present he hasn't got the tank to play on ball and with Gardi and kinki there there isn't much time available for a third ruckman. So what do we do with him to get him firing?

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

will kick 5 next week :p ... whats he done in the last two games against dogs again? pretty crazy stuff iidr

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's wrong with Kosi ??

jk23 wrote:He is having a very bad run... Why ?????
He's over-rated IMO. Has the talent to be a gun, but is way too inconsistent.
Just couldn't get near the ball tonight. Fraser showed him up and Frase had the same number of possessions. His terrible kicking doesn't help either. Doesn't look much like a FF to me. I'm with Rog on this one, Think he'd be better off playing across half back.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Starting to think he's going to be no more than a quality pinch hitter. Has enormous potential,but struggles to put it together apart from little bursts. We've been waiting a long time now for him deliver greatness,perhaps he just won't get any better? He'd do well at CHF I think,but they're not going to give him that spot ahead of Rewoildt.
It's a little perplexing to know what is ever going to become of him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:How can you say that, he had a bad game tonight but everyone can't be great every week. The last week his issue was goalkicking. But so was everyone's.

Is he going to be the whipping boy for this week? If so, let's hope he responds the same way Raph, Fizz and JB did tonight.
Not a question of who's the whipping boy. Just a question of not performing. kosi's goal-kicking is way short of the mark for a FF.
Thought Fiora was ok tonight, but he's still a front runner. Can't recall him winning a contested ball in the last two weeks. Looses his footing in a contest and then it's all over.

Huzzad
Club Player

LaUrEnCe wrote:will kick 5 next week :p ... whats he done in the last two games against dogs again? pretty crazy stuff iidr
So long as he keeps away from Giansiracusa :P

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Lay off him - fair dinkum.

The took the #1 defender (very much in form as well), freeing up Gehrig to take a weaker defender...

Seriously, some perspective please, and in the structure of our forward line, if Kosi can iron out his kicking woes, he'll make a great forward option.

Neale Daniher doesn't seem to read our play very well, so I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.

Next week, playing three tall forwards against the Dogs will stretch their defence no ends.

Lake goes to Kosi, Hargrave to Riewoldt (big win)....? to Gehrig?

Seriously, before dismissing a bloke, think of the tactical approach first - Kosi in the forward line will cause MASSIVE headaches for the opposition because you can't send a dud his way. He'll chop them up - a bit like Gehrig can (and like he did tonight).

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Seriously, before dismissing a bloke, think of the tactical approach first - Kosi in the forward line will cause MASSIVE headaches for the opposition because you can't send a dud his way. He'll chop them up - a bit like Gehrig can (and like he did tonight).
Do you think Kosi would be happy to play out his career as a decoy forward?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Lay off him - fair dinkum. The took the #1 defender (very much in form as well), freeing up Gehrig to take a weaker defender
exactly right everton. i like a bit of lateral thinking.

it wasn't kosi's night tonight but, mark my words, it will be a huge mistake not to play him forward.

carlton was worried all week about being able to cover all of our three tall forwards and it turns out that their concerns were justified.

I knew at least one of our guys would hurt them and tonight fraser broke free.

without kosi as an option it will back to the one-dimensional kick-it-to-riewoldt-and-fraser set-up that could not kick winning scores in 2007 and was unable to counter flooding in the GT era.

also, there's no spot for him in the ruck and he's too good a player not to have on the park.

we won by 40 points and for once in recent memory our forward line looked potent. i say we're on the right track with kosi forward.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 30 Mar 2008 12:00am, edited 4 times in total.

nicko016
Club Player

His goal kicking is a very big concern. Should of kicked 5.2 so far instead of 2.5 this season which would make a big difference to how he's playing. But what makes his goal kicking worse is that all his shots have been relatively easy shots but it will surely turn around soon.

Tonight he had a bad game and from tonight it doesn't look like he is a true FF but I see no reason why he can't play well as more of a roaming full forward pushing both deep and also pushing out onto the flanks and wings. He didn't get that much opportunity tonight and was quite often in massive packs or when he was one on one the delivery wasn't all that good. However, he still crashed the packs and made sure the ball came to ground. Hopefully, he can just put tonight behind him and have a good game next week.

So far this season including the NAB Cup I think he's been quite good without being outstanding. Against Richmond he looked good and should have kicked 4 and then he dominated against Geelong. He did little in limted opportunities against Adelaide and then last week played relatively well and should have kicked 4. So, thats 3 decent games out of 5 which isn't too bad.

However, he does struggle against decent opposition but I think this is partialy due to the fact that we kick it on top of his head and he gets into a wrestle with the defender and then gets out of position and infringes. The ball needs to be kicked out in front of him so he can get a run at it and isn't so occupied with his opponent. If hes get more of this delivery I'd expect him to look much better. However, in situations such as tonight, he needs to be relasd much earlier if he's struggling up forward. I think he should of been given a run in the ruck or around HF as early as the 1st or 2nd quarter becuase he is a confidence player and can't work himself into the game as well if he's struggling such as Riewodlt did tonight.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

This is not a criticism, just fact, but Koz played the worst game possibly in his career tonight, his kicking is off at the moment. Tough night though for the forwards, with 2 or 3 players on them ever time they went near the ball. I thought tonights game was a battle of the CHF lines. Koz seems to play well under pressure, he will be very aware of how he is playing and I think we will see a return to the Koz we know very soon.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Do you think Kosi would be happy to play out his career as a decoy forward?
What a bizarre comment.

I hadn't factored in Gehrig playing into his 40s. But now I will.

Seriously, FFS - he's played several excellent games up forward and for people to write him off after one off match is ridiculous. He'd have kicked five last week if he was a bit straighter. Tonight he's just had a bit of a dirty one...BUT has still freed up Gehrig to carve up a weak defender.

That's the beauty of Kosi up forward. I've been saying it for eternity...he doesn't always have to be brilliant to have an impact. Riewoldt, too, was beaten by an excellent player.

Both Thornton and Waite would have chopped Gehrig - no doubt. But they didn't. They couldn't - they were busy elsewhere. And Fraser's good enough to take out any nearly any club's third best backman.

I really do believe that tactical acumen is really important in modern day football, but others may disagree.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 29 Mar 2008 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Lay off him - fair dinkum.
Everton, tactically I agree with you. In practice, Kosi is too inconsistent to receive the rapturous glow he does from some on here.
Easy for you to lazily drop in "if he can sort his kicking out". He's playing FF. It's not an option to have kicking that needs sorting out. We've already got a CHF who can't kick straight, now we've got a FF too.
I'm bagging him a bit, agreed. ANd I agree that he's a walk up start in the 22. But he is inconsistent and to me, looks like he doesn't know what he's doing at FF.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Play like that again next week and he must be dropped.

Too much pressure from guys in the 2's to have anyone performing badly.

Was our worst by a mile tonight.

jk23
Club Player

I hope he kicks a bag next week for his 100th hard earned games !!! Just do your best Kosi :lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Easy for you to lazily drop in "if he can sort his kicking out". He's playing FF. It's not an option to have kicking that needs sorting out. We've already got a CHF who can't kick straight, now we've got a FF too.
I reckon Kosi is actually a really good set shot when his confidence is up. He really kicks through the ball well - obviously it's not coming to him at the moment.

I'm not too worried. He freed up other forwards to do well, and quite frankly, so long as our forward line is kicking 125+ scores and there's a tactical rationale, I'm not overly concerned.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Easy for you to lazily drop in "if he can sort his kicking out". He's playing FF. It's not an option to have kicking that needs sorting out.
It's a bit like a great defender that just can't spoil.

Or a great midfielder than can't run.

Or a ruckman that can't get hitouts.

Kicking for goal is what forwards do. If they can't, then they aren't good forwards.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
I'm not too worried. He freed up other forwards to do well, and quite frankly, so long as our forward line is kicking 125+ scores and there's a tactical rationale, I'm not overly concerned.
Our forward line didn't kick 125 points.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Do you think Kosi would be happy to play out his career as a decoy forward?
tonight fraser was hot and kosi was the decoy. next week it might be kosi who is hot and fraser is the decoy. or roo is on fire ...

not all of your guns can fire every week and it is all about having many possible avenues to goal ... not just one or two like last year.

for the first time in a while our forward line looked reasonably potent and we had a good spread of goal-kickers.

kosi might not have contributed much himself but at least his ability to take contested marks will encourage us to belt it in there quickly and that has to be a good thing.

imo taking kosi away from the forward line would be the biggest mistake RL could make.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 29 Mar 2008 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.