St Kilda Vs Western Bulldogs - Pre-Match Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:absolutely agree.

it's not conceivable to have all of our front 6 fire on one day.

if they do, we probably kick 35 goals.

However even the forwards who aren't necessarily marking and scoring can do a job.
Just Kozi's presence alone can drag a double team away from Riewoldt.

and Riewoldt leading up the ground can isolate Kozi one out for a contested mark.
good call. i hope RL sticks to his guns on our tall forward set up and doesn't change it around just because fatpryk smith and rodgerfox :wink: don't like it
I'm sure he hangs on my every word!

Of note, is that we kicked 7 of our 19 in the last quarter when the game was all over, and when Kosi went into the ruck.

Gilbert=Legend

devil saint wrote:The change that should occur this week is a no brainer...

In: BJ Out: R Clarke

R Clarke has been horrible the last 2 weeks and to be honest, it has been a lot longer than the last 2 weeks. He is way out of his depth atm & i struggle to believe all the praise ppl in other threads have been heaping on Raph. His decision making is woeful along with his 'double fisting tactic' which was on fine display on sat night.
Injuries, i concede have been an issue but why play a bloke who is obviously unable to handle the heat of the main game. Playing him in the 1s for confidence is one of the more humorous and idiotic things i have read recently. Some ppl on here need to take a more objective look at our players and say what needs to be said, rather than thinking everytime somebody makes an obvious statement about a player that they are bashing them.

Simply Raph must be dropped. Dropping geary or gilbert would be stupid as geary is showing great qualities, while gilbert has shown he has what it takes at this level, unlike RC. Gilbert's start to the year has been average but taking on a slightly new role can be attributed for this.

As for saying king is in the mix to be left out, or indeed a fringe player, well have these ppl been at the last 2 games? These are moronic ideas clearly coming from inept brains
Spot on.

Did anyone go to game and see the stupid things Raph did. 3 times he was in the clear and he punched it, why not mark it. Gilbert did a good job on the week end and has earned a spot on the team.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:Did anyone go to game and see the stupid things Raph did. 3 times he was in the clear and he punched it, why not mark it. Gilbert did a good job on the week end and has earned a spot on the team.
The two handed punch would be a deliberate tactic that he practices at training. Unless he has a team mate right next to him telling him that he's clear I think he will do it every time. He's actually starting to direct those punches to team mates (worked brilliantly a couple of times). I'd rather that he goes for the punch if he's uncertain whether opposition forwards are around.

Raph did nothing wrong on the weekend yet we still have people coming on here calling for his head. He reads the play beautifully, is willing to throw himself back into a pack, is a good spoiler and generally disposes of it well. He has had lapses in concerntration throughout his career but they're fading out of his game now.

yipper
SS Life Member

Ask Maxie how Raph played - Max would be thankful that Raph was able to help him out a couple of times dropping back into Fev's path with courage to spoil the mark attempt.

Those fists on the ball went either out of play, through for a point or straight to a teammate - so I reckon the coach would have been rapt that a defender was stopping the Carlton forwards getting the ball. Raph is doing ok - he is developing into a reliable defender.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

was Higgins in their team last week.

DOGS LOSE HIGGINS FOR TWO MONTHS
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 at 9:42 amBY MARK OPOLION
http://www.footyheads.com.au/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Im at a loss to see what both Raph and Gilbert have done so wrong. They have played in the backline that has had one multiple goal scorer against it in two weeks. Youd honestly beleive that two or three blokes have kicked bags on these two if you read whats on here.
Last edited by CURLY on Tue 01 Apr 2008 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Im at a loss to see what both Raph and Gilbert have done so wrong. They have have played in the backline that has had one multiple goal scorer against it in two weeks. Youd honestly beleive that two or three blokes have kicked bags on these two if you read whats on here.
I'm with you Curly.

The only real issue with us right now, is that we seem to be confused.

We don't look really drilled and polished.

At times, we look like chooks with no heads. Basic errors, poor decision, poor skills.

To single out one or two guys is a bit rough. I thought we had 3 guys who were great on Saturday. And a couple more who were good. The rest were pretty average.

We need Raph and Gilbert. Maybe not right now, but by seasons end and next year and beyond - we must have these guys as genuine top 10ers for our club. Tall, athletic defenders who can win their own ball.

If you keep dropping guys, we're never going to get that cohesion that a great teams needs and guys like Raph and Gilbert won't come on as quickly.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:was Higgins in their team last week.
Yes

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

what about mc Dougall?
http://www.footyheads.com.au/

http://footyheads.com.au/index.php/2008 ... st-saints/

I wouldn't exactly call our Boys 'Monsters' though :? Big yes-

[quote]Three big monters in Koschitzke, Riewoldt and Gehrig is very hard to stop,â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Jeff
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:I'd argue that Gilbert could do what Raph does - Yet Raph couldnt do what Gilbert does
I'd dispute that. Two different style players. Raph is better overhead.

FQF
devil saint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:Did anyone go to game and see the stupid things Raph did. 3 times he was in the clear and he punched it, why not mark it. Gilbert did a good job on the week end and has earned a spot on the team.
The two handed punch would be a deliberate tactic that he practices at training. Unless he has a team mate right next to him telling him that he's clear I think he will do it every time. He's actually starting to direct those punches to team mates (worked brilliantly a couple of times). I'd rather that he goes for the punch if he's uncertain whether opposition forwards are around.

Raph did nothing wrong on the weekend yet we still have people coming on here calling for his head. He reads the play beautifully, is willing to throw himself back into a pack, is a good spoiler and generally disposes of it well. He has had lapses in concerntration throughout his career but they're fading out of his game now.
The two handed punch is ridiculous! I doubt he would be practicing that at training - surely our coaching staff would not be advocating that. If you can get two fists to the ball then you can clearly get to open palms to the ball to MARK it! Its not rocket science!
Laughable that you think he "generally disposes of it well". Haha! He turns it over most times, looks for his brother to get him out of strife or just shites himself and gets caught. He needs to go!

james rose
Club Player

think raph has taken many goal saving marks... and if you look at who was near him when he goes the punch it will seem more like a deliberate play.. for the record its whenever the opponent's power forward is near.

raph also does use the ball well.. the only part of his disposal you can fault is sometimes he pauses to think too long

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Most teams prefer to setup from a kick in rather than a mark in the square too.

Rushed behinds are more common for this reason.

devil saint
Club Player

He was up in the air by himself with two clear fists to the ball. He could have marked it! I don't see how you can defend that point.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's indefensible! He should have marked it. But when did Sam Gilbert ever take a pack mark? He is not as skillful. If BJ plays, and I doubt very much that he will, then Sam will make way.

I would hope RL can assemble the most able group (Maguire is the other one to come back in) and see whether it is balanced.

Pace may be an issue against the Bulldogs, but I doubt it, given the massive flooding that will occur. Fitness (and a bit of luck) won it for us in week one, in week two, we tired in the last ten minutes but Carlton were kind enough to operate the wax rule - if one of our players mis-kicked the ball to them, they very kindly kicked it straight back to him.

supersaints
Club Player

Excuse my ignorance , but how does resting BJ for half a game mean he will play in the AFL next week? I would have thoght he would require mire fitness and have to run out a full game with the Scorps???
By the way I hope I am wrong looking forward to his return

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Gotta agree with the two fisters. On his own, and should have grabbed the one that stood out to me. Don't really care who makes for BJ to be honest, so long as we win, and he doesn't break down again.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

supersaints, that was the 4th game BJ has played with Casey. Was bog in 2 of them. He's ready. :lol:

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

will he play this weekend?

have a feeling goose might

Solar
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Excuse my ignorance , but how does resting BJ for half a game mean he will play in the AFL next week? I would have thoght he would require mire fitness and have to run out a full game with the Scorps???
By the way I hope I am wrong looking forward to his return
He has come off a good 4 matches to get his fitness up (a preason cup so to speak). It was a sunday match and with only 5 days until the friday night game they gave him a good hit out on the ball in the first half and rested him in the second. Smart thinking.

Can't wait for this game, two undefeated teams who play very contrasting styles. As many have said we should have them covered at both ends and it will like usual come down to the midfield. Medium sized forwards always kill us if we don't win the hard ball and give the opposition space and time with it. Fish to go with cross, ball to go head to head with west. We have to get our rotations up to at least 20 a quarter. The likes of schneider, fish, geary and BJ will need to also work through the mdifield rotations.

Tempo football is on our side, zone defence to clog up space works very well against a leading bulldogs forward line. If the ball goes deep, spoil to the front. The bulldogs forwards always head for goal side, with welsh and johnno loving balls that head behind the back of the pack.

No excuses, saints by 25

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Gilbert=Legend

The Saints will battle this weekend against the dogs. The only thing that will get them over the line is the success we have had over them.

My prediction is that from the first bounce, they will flood, we will flood, and once again we will not know what to do and how to get the ball into the 'best' forward line in the league

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA
Sean Dempster (knee) – 2-3 weeks
James Gwilt (groin) – 2-3 weeks
Brendon Goddard (knee) 1-2 weeks
Matt Maguire (leg) 2-3 weeks

the injury list form afl.com.au

wheres attard....

Gilbert=Legend

BG should play and has played in the VFL on the week end as well as Goose. The Afl injury list is wrong

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:ST KILDA
Sean Dempster (knee) – 2-3 weeks
James Gwilt (groin) – 2-3 weeks
Brendon Goddard (knee) 1-2 weeks
Matt Maguire (leg) 2-3 weeks

the injury list form afl.com.au

wheres attard....
hope noone told the senior coaching team and casey selection panel because all four played for casey on sunday and will either play seniors or casey this coming weekend....

only two that can't be selected are attard and baker

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Should be an interesting game....and the history of the last few years is perhaps not so readya guide as both teams now have significant differences.

As observed by some earlier in the string the Dogs have addressed a number of their weaknesses by a combination of recruiting and younger players now coming through. So they are now a better balanced and more complete side than they were in 2006.

However the Saints too have addressed a number of their weaknesses.

The Saints however should have that extra touch of class all over the ground starting in the ruck.

The Dogs cannot be underestimated though and the Saints will need to work hard to pressure the Dogs to limit their pace and run.

The Gtrain should be the better for his run last week.....and even though the stats have both teams with similar average heights the Saints have better talls and this will once again cause the Dogs grief.

The Saints need to win the midfield though to win the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....