How fit do we really have to be?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

How fit do we really have to be?

Can a human being possibly be fit enough to constantly sprint up and down a footy ground, for 2 hours - and still maintain their skills?

The concept of playing footy like basketball makes sense - if it was played on a basketball court. Problem is, it's not.

Is it realistic to expect big forwards to be able to sprint from one goal square to the other, constantly, and still win contests and kick straight? Is it humanly possible?

We looked tired last night.

I'd hate to think what we'll look like in August.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

I think Adelaide reached that point last year - Neil Craig tried to make them fitter again in the summer of 06/07 and the whole side broke down with injury and looked tired.

The interchange bench is the main problem.

If you limited rotations, a gameplan where players run up and down for 2 hours would be impossible.

It's the only way to go.

Geelong's forwards do the same thing (to a lesser extent) ..... watch the GF tape from last year, and Steve Johnson, Garry Ablett and Cam Mooney all win possessions in the backline in the first quarter.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Yep.

I think Adelaide reached that point last year - Neil Craig tried to make them fitter again in the summer of 06/07 and the whole side broke down with injury and looked tired.

If you limited rotations, a gameplan where players run up and down for 2 hours would be impossible.

It's the only way to go.

Geelong's forwards do the same thing (to a lesser extent) ..... watch the GF tape from last year, and Steve Johnson, Garry Ablett and Cam Mooney all win possessions in the backline in the first quarter.
That proves you know nothing about the game but I should have known that little d.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: That proves you know nothing about the game but I should have known that little d.
How? Why?

I like hearing someone disagree with my opinion, but I can't really reply when they don't give any reasons.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It's the only way to go.

That proves you know nothing about the game but I should have known that little d.
Totally uncalled for..appears in more than one thread..cut out the baiting plugger66

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's the only way to go.

Totally uncalled for..appears in more than one thread..cut out the baiting plugger66

Isnt his name dave and he is little. Surely that isnt baiting.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
plugger66 wrote: That proves you know nothing about the game but I should have known that little d.
How? Why?

I like hearing someone disagree with my opinion, but I can't really reply when they don't give any reasons.
Can you provide anything to support your point of view?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Re: How fit do we really have to be?

rodgerfox wrote: We looked tired last night.

I'd hate to think what we'll look like in August.
Not directly related, but no team since 2005 has won a match after playing 3 games in a row at Telstra Dome (I'm fairly sure that is correct).

We are playing our fourth game in a row there this week.

Will be interesting to see how much run we have.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How? Why?

Can you provide anything to support your point of view?
Just that you are very young and have a very limited knowledge of the AFL.

ace
Saintsational Legend

You need to be a whisker fitter than the Bulldogs and Geelong - and that is just possible.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i didn't think we looked tired, i thought we looked lazy

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.