Change the structure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Change the structure

Kossie to CHB
Gram to the Wing
Armitage, just play the kid and give him game time
How's Ferguson travelling, has this kid ever been given a fair dinkum go?

Ross Lyon stated in the press only months after his arrival that it was his intention to play Kossie at CHB.................still waiting :roll:

IMHO, I believe that this is ATM where Kossie should be played.

Chad Cornes played there for Port and became so damaging that it played a huge part in that team winning a premiership.

KOSSIE has CHB written all over him and as a defensive structure with S.Fisher, Hudghton, Goddard etc... we would be up there with the best of them.

Geelong's defence, the best in the AFL is a huge part of their success.

Playing Kossie, Riewoldt and Gehrig all up forward at once is the sort of nuffieness I'd expect from our previous coach, not one with an actual clue.

GRAM is NOT a defender, when is the penny going to drop ? GRAM is a WINGMAN, FAIR DINKUM why can our coach/coaches current/previous NOT see this?

Gram is as soft as butter when it comes to an overhead contest, he as a defender is a liability.

Gram as a wingman IMHO has the potential to be one of the most damaging and offensive players in the AFL, ala Peter Matera.

ARMITAGE, we need to play some kids and this one has a huge upside, just give him games, it's the best way to fast track him and the fastest way for our overall team to become a better unit.

PLAY HIM

FERGUSON, has this kid ever been given a FAIR GO, FAIR DINKUM

Been given precious few opportunities in defence when it's obvious he's more suited to a HFF, but never been played there :roll:

I'm not proposing monumental changes but seriously the structure IMHO could be a lot better by simply putting Kossie at CHB and Gram out of defence and onto a wing, just for starters.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Dank25
Club Player

Change the structure

:D Change your "tune" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FAIR DINKUM! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Change the structure

barks4eva wrote:Kossie to CHB
Gram to the Wing

Ross Lyon stated in the press only months after his arrival that it was his intention to play Kossie at CHB.................still waiting :roll:

Chad Cornes played there for Port and became so damaging that it played a huge part in that team winning a premiership.

KOSSIE has CHB written all over him and as a defensive structure with S.Fisher, Hudghton, Goddard etc... we would be up there with the best of them.

Playing Kossie, Riewoldt and Gehrig all up forward at once is the sort of nuffieness I'd expect from our previous coach, not one with an actual clue.

GRAM is NOT a defender, when is the penny going to drop ? GRAM is a WINGMAN, FAIR DINKUM why can our coach/coaches current/previous NOT see this?

Gram is as soft as butter when it comes to an overhead contest, he as a defender is a liability.

Gram as a wingman IMHO has the potential to be one of the most damaging and offensive players in the AFL, ala Peter Matera.

ARMITAGE, we need to play some kids and this one has a huge upside, just give him games, it's the best way to fast track him and the fastest way for our overall team to become a better unit.

PLAY HIM

Been given precious few opportunities in defence when it's obvious he's more suited to a HFF, but never been played there :roll:

I'm not proposing monumental changes but seriously the structure IMHO could be a lot better by simply putting Kossie at CHB and Gram out of defence and onto a wing, just for starters.
i agree with everything you have said here,
fergo needs a go he is a good player the coach needs to give him a go just like he needs to give armo a game or 2,

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was interested in how the team balance worked in the NAB cup -we had Armo, CJ and couple of other young runners really moving the ball well, but now the forward line is ponderous. Gehrig has no place in the team now. I think at least Armo and CJ need to get a berth in the seniors, as they do attack the contest at all times.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

well drop, Raph, bring in armo, cj, both gardys,

drop PERHAPS
fiora,
&
Blake,

i would give gilbert a rest, he needs to find his form back, and give us what he did last year!

i would also put gram on the wing,

put riewoldt on the other wing

maybe Kosi CHB would be good for a change and i would have Charlie gardiner as the CHF, and have schneider/milne next to gehrig and the resting ruckman,

i would also put armo in the midfield and put him in the backline next to max & geary

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gram to the Wing

PLAY HIM

wow barks...
good post, I agree

SainterX
Club Player

Define the words actual clue.

Personally I would rather entertain and just come up short then bore people and come up short.

We may not have won it all in 04 or 05 but 2 prelims and the most venomous attack in the AFL certainly spelt entertainment.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:

Personally I would rather entertain and just come up short then bore people and come up short.

We may not have won it all in 04 or 05 but 2 prelims and the most venomous attack in the AFL certainly spelt entertainment.
barks has this thing about GT, SainterX.

sort of a pathalogical hatred. i wouldn't take it too seriously. no-one else does.

saintjake
Club Player

i no i sound like a broken record.
but
BRING BACK GWILT.
he was in the best last week for the scorps
but back in '05 he played hff/wing, and did fantastically.
he DOES have good delivery, sure he isnt that fast, BUT LOOK AT THE REST OF OUT TEAM, RAPH/BLAKE
give him ago and see what he can do,
but play him out of defence,
or in defence.
jsut give him a bloody.
last year he played of fev and o'laughlin/hall
held fev to only 3 goals when fev was in fine form.,
and murdered o'laughlin + picked up a brownlow vote.

is twice the player raph and blake are.

SainterX
Club Player

Anyone know what Luke Penny is doing these days ?

:P

parky
Club Player

but Barks, I thought that "Taps to advantage" was going to solve all our problems......

but then again perhaps you didn't know "squat" in 2005 and you sure haven't learnt anything by now

I woiuld argue that with the benefit of perspective (and ask the real thruth of the injuries at 3/4 time of the 2005 Prelim Final) that coaching is largely a matter of luck and timing. If you've got it, your a legend (Thompson....yuk), if you haven't your a dunce (Thommo).....but fair dinkim it's a very fine line!

dsreg1
Club Player

SainterX wrote:

i think barks has a RAGING clue right now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Looks like you had your crystal ball out.... Ferg reportedly played very well last night

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

jimmygwilt wrote: BRING BACK GWILT.
..........no

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:
jimmygwilt wrote: BRING BACK GWILT.
..........no
isnt he injured at the moment ??

im suspect of bringing in ferg as hes never really taken up the challenge b4 what has change to make us think he will this time ? i think armo ,jones and Allen with the possibility of Charlie G would be who i would be lookg at for recall but then again RL might want to show some faith in the boys to turn it around

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Looks like you had your crystal ball out.... Ferg reportedly played very well last night
:wink:

Good to hear, would like to see him given a chance on the HFF this week

along with Armitage

Kossie to CHB
Gram to the wing

out Fiora, Blake, R. Clarke

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Barks original post is on the ball. Fergs deserves a spot. When he and Sam Fisher were brought in at CHB and FB a few years ago to cover injuries he did very well, even though only 187cm. An excellent overhead mark for his size.
Kosi to CHB and Roo to Wing would be great moves. Both have dominated in those positions in the past. I would love to see BJ at CHF. He could kick a bag full from there.
Gram on the other wing probably a sensible move.

kalsaint
Club Player

spert wrote:I was interested in how the team balance worked in the NAB cup -we had Armo, CJ and couple of other young runners really moving the ball well, but now the forward line is ponderous. Gehrig has no place in the team now. I think at least Armo and CJ need to get a berth in the seniors, as they do attack the contest at all times.
Gehrig needs a job to be accountable. CHB is my preference.

Kosi is now better at Full Forward. He has grown and is too slow forthe CHF defensive role. His high marks serve as a spark for forwards but mostly, Kosi's short kicking is not all that good. Isus pect under forward pressure he would cough up the ball too easily when short passsing.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think this is the best team available right now (assuming Gards will be out for a couple of weeks).

B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, Geary
HB: L.Fisher, S.Fisher, Goddard
C: Gram, Hayes, Montagna
HF: X.Clarke, Riewoldt, C.Gardiner
F: Schneider, Gehrig, Milne

Foll: Koschitzke, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Armitage, Fiora, Harvey, King

Defence: Hudghton, Sam Fisher are two quality key defenders. Raph can take a medium forward, Geary takes a small and Goddard is loose. Fisher tags a goalkicking mid.

Midfield: Gram, Montagna, X. Clarke, Schneider and Fiora provide run and goalkicking options. Lenny, Ball and Dal take care of the clearances and Armo and Harvs are there to provide support.

Ruck: Koschitzke as the number one ruckman with a license to roam forward whenever an opportunity arises. He'll be beaten in the hitouts but his clearance work at ground level is excellent, and obviously his marks in defence will save many goals. King a solid backup ruckman.

Forward: Roo starts 40m out from goal and can do what he wants. Charlie to lead all day and provide a second option when coming out of defence. Gehrig the deep leading target as always while Milney can either look for crumbs or find space and be a marking option.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

(assuming m. gardiner is fit)

B: L. Fisher, Hudghton, X. Clarke
HB: Goddard, S. Fisher, Blake
C: Gram, Ball, Riewoldt
HF: Dal Santo, Kosi, Gilbert
F: Milne, Gehrig, Schneider
Foll: King, Hayes, Montagna

Int: C. Jones, Armitage, M. Gardiner, Harvey

In: C. Jones, Armitage, M. Gardiner
Out: R. Clarke, Fiora, Geary

if m. gardiner doesn't come up, i'd bring in c. gardiner and get blake to pinch-hit in the ruck. he's done it before successfully and gives you something around the ground.

riewoldt to wing with a license to go forward and kick goals.

i think we've just become too reliant on the big blond superstar at chf and feel that taking him out of there for a while could be the spark we need to get others (including our mids) kicking goals.

i've a feeling that gilbert could be very good across half forward. also why not get some value out of dal in terms of goals on the board rather than have him cleaning up in the backline the whole time
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 06 Apr 2008 5:43pm, edited 3 times in total.

awesome_days
Club Player

Lets be really daring.....

B: Ferguson Hughton Geary
HB: SFisher Koschitzke Dal Santo
C: Gram Hayes Montagna
HF: Gilbert Goddard CGardiner
F: Schneider Reiwoldt Milne
Foll: MGardiner Ball Armitage

Int: Harvey King XClarke LFisher

3 strong tall lead-up forwards to send it in to Reiwoldt who will be given all of the forward 50. Milne as the alternate target/crumber.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
spert wrote:I was interested in how the team balance worked in the NAB cup -we had Armo, CJ and couple of other young runners really moving the ball well, but now the forward line is ponderous. Gehrig has no place in the team now. I think at least Armo and CJ need to get a berth in the seniors, as they do attack the contest at all times.
Gehrig needs a job to be accountable. CHB is my preference.

Kosi is now better at Full Forward. He has grown and is too slow forthe CHF defensive role. His high marks serve as a spark for forwards but mostly, Kosi's short kicking is not all that good. Isus pect under forward pressure he would cough up the ball too easily when short passsing.
the days of gehrig in the back line are LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG gone there is no way know to man that you would risk a bloke who has the regular brain fades and gives silly frees and will not chase and bump rather then tackle !!! silly silly idea

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Richter
SS Life Member

Wow. Welcome back Andrew! Your best and most thought provoking post in two years.

Problems we have......

- midfield. SOFT. slow. old. I'm hopeful that the lack of toughness was a one off. Need to bring in youth and pace i.e. Armo, CJ. Also need ball winners not a preponderance of taggers - Leigh Fisher and Blake do not get enough of the ball themselves to play both of them on the ball. I'd drop Leigh Fisher, play Ball, Hayes, Harvey, Armo, X on the ball and trust them to win it to offload to the likes of Fiora, Joey, Dal, Gram to deliver to the forwards.

- back. Raph is not up to it. Dempster? Goose to come back soon

- forward. 3 Talls? Not sold. Still not enough defensive pressure from the forwards so that if the ball is not marked by one of the talls it reboundes quickly.

On Kosi, I'm really not too sure about moving him back to CHB as long time FF is his position and in the short time he'd only be marking time there until Goose comes back in.

Probably best rotating the 3 Talls up front, with Roo spending occasional time on the wing or behind the ball, and Kosi some time in the ruck.

Schneider, Milne to continue as small forwards/part time mids.

I don't see a spot for C Gradiner - he doesn't do anything that Blake/Goddard rotating from defence can't.

/my 5c.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Settle down, you guys are acting like one loss and we're in crisis mode. Now i'm not one for accepting mediocrity, but a shakeup of the magnitude you are suggesting (and others are backing up) can only be detrimental to the team.

Our structures are good, our players efforts over four quarters are not. Whether this is due to fitness, inspiration, or good ol' fashioned guts and glory, i've no idea.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Our structures are good, our players efforts over four quarters are not. .
indeed......but I would like only 2 tall forwards and a bit less tagging..and I like the idea of Gram on a wing, but that may have to wait till Goose comes back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....