The selection mix...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The selection mix...

Always interesting to consider......and this week is perhaps more so as with the large turn around in the Dogs game one might expect some changes.

However as the week cools things perhaps RL's initial reaction may cool as well from his initial statement.

However some of the names thrown up by various forumites have been:

Possible Outs:

Raph. has had a poor year and was omitted alst week before coming back to replace M Gardiner.
raph would seem to bea likeky choice to be omitted.

L Fisher. Yes hada shocker in the Dogs game bit in the two previous weeks had excellent report cards for jobs on Goodes and Judd.

GTrain. Is the forward line too crowded?? The vibe from the club would seem to be that RL will concentrate on getting the midfield to work better to deliver the ball in the way thata a 3 tall forward structure reqires.

Milne. Not by me, but many are calling for his head.

Fiora. By my reckoning has had 2 handy games and then a quiet one.

Blake. Dogs game was not good, though some had him in the votes!!!! despite his opponent destrying us. However Blakes form and endeavour has been ok in the other matches.

Dal. Thrown up by some. Will not happen. Hpefullyaan eyeball session with the coach is all he needs to refocus.

Geary Two good first games and then wilted under pressurea bit in the Dogs game, but was still fair. Has nly played 3 games and hada big upside. But maybe will be rested to gibve anothera chance?

Possible Ins:

CJ. Reportedly was very good for Casey. His pace and aggression at the ball would be warmly welcomed, his haphazrd kicking less so but this year his disposal has greatly imroved.

Armo. Unfortunately was suspended for 1 wek and did not play for Casey. However this season to date he has shon promising signs...and as a mid he does seem to know how to kick a goal. may not be first 22 at present, but he if played the H&A season maybe by finals time he could be that extra midfielder we sorely need???

Birrs... No star , but Mr Squiggle is a steady run with player that also wins his own ball...and who also knows how to kick a goal.

Ferg. BOG for Casey...but missed most of the pre-season. A swap for raph...or should Ferg have to stringa few more games together first?

Goose. Is now running out games for Casey, but reports indicate his form has not yet been as good as it needs to be. Would seem premature to bring him back for the Cats game.

M Gardiner.
If available he will play. So Mr Misson what do you think????

C Gardiner impressive pre-season...but the 3 Tall forward structure sems to have squeezed him out. Wll he get a run against his old team?

Dempster. After missing the preseason Dempster is now back and playing. But his current form is unknown. Capable of replacing raph in defence or perforimninga run with tagging role. Is also according to Swans Foruma good long and penetrating kick.

Discussion

I would be surprised if there were a large number of changes. M Gardiner is a certain one if declared available.

Raph would surprise if retained.

Other alterations could be decided by RL's strategy for the game. For example how many run with tags does he want to go with and the midfield structure and rotation?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 09 Apr 2008 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

You leeft out dempster that was touted by a few journo's

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:You leeft out dempster that was touted by a few journo's
:oops: :oops: I meant to include him as he is in the mix..and I even created a string to just ask how he was going at Casey.

I have edited him above now.

Thanks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

seems reading another post that gwilt has had 2 decent games for scorps ...

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i wouldnt drop gehrig,

id drop Blake,
fiora
raph
Gilbert(maybe)?
L Fisher

Bring in

CJ
Gardiner,M&C
armo
Gwilt/Fergo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ins Dempter, C gardiner, CJ

Outs Geary, Clarke, Probably Fisher

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Ins Dempter, C gardiner, CJ

thats who i would bring in, id expect M.gardiner to come back as well,

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:

Based on?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Milne has been kicking goals and Fiora has been adding a bit of run and skill to the midfield, They're doing their jobs so surely won't be dropped.

Raph and Blake have been ordainry but are two of Lyon's favourites. Gilbert is probably close to them as well.

Leigh Fisher started the season in superb form and is our best tagging option until Baker returns.

Jarryn Geary should be played IMO, but after a quiet game against the Bulldogs I think he'll be omitted for Jones.

Charlie Gardiner deserved more than one game to prove himself and should get another go. Michael Gardiner is a certainty if fit, but just about any little twinge will see him miss a couple of weeks with his history. Clint Jones apparently has been playing well for Casey and Lyon likes him, so he's a very strong chance.

In: Jones, C.Gardiner
Out: Geary, R.Clarke

If Michael Gardiner is fit then he takes Charlie's spot.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:

Based on?
what that if michael is fit id expect him to come in,

well if he is he will come in,

But id think CJ would get a chance

but i say that Charlie should get a go atleast one more chance against his old club...

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

I'm surprised by how much faith people in here put in Gilbert......for me he would be the first one to go, he showed some flashes last year but this year has been every bit as bad as Raph and I don't think he has the same underlying natural ability.

I think he shone in a bad team last year but this year he should be squeezed out. Who cares if we replace him with a smaller player.....he doesn't beat tall forwards anyway.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Wollongong_saint wrote:I'm surprised by how much faith people in here put in Gilbert......for me he would be the first one to go, he showed some flashes last year but this year has been every bit as bad as Raph and I don't think he has the same underlying natural ability.

I think he shone in a bad team last year but this year he should be squeezed out. Who cares if we replace him with a smaller player.....he doesn't beat tall forwards anyway.
we could replace him with Fergo

or give armo a run

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Wollongong_saint wrote:I'm surprised by how much faith people in here put in Gilbert......for me he would be the first one to go, he showed some flashes last year but this year has been every bit as bad as Raph and I don't think he has the same underlying natural ability.

What a joke... Gilbo has been given specific defensive jobs last year, insted of the license to free wheel like he did last year... Sure he isnt getting as many possies and breaking the lines, but heis playing a more accountable game and will benefit from this greatly in the medium to long term..

The calls for Gilbs omission are ridiculous.. The guy is a serious talent, and is one of the few who puts in 110% every week..

For mine, I would play Gilb alot more in the midfield and let his tenaciousness and arkwardness add another dimension to our faltering engine room.. His year this year has been promising to say the least, and he was good last week against the dogs..

In saying that, my changes this week would be-

Out: Raph (big fan, needs a spell), Blake, Geary
Ins: M. Gards, Dempster, Armo...

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

What a joke... Gilbo has been given specific defensive jobs last year, insted of the license to free wheel like he did last year... Sure he isnt getting as many possies and breaking the lines, but heis playing a more accountable game and will benefit from this greatly in the medium to long term..

The calls for Gilbs omission are ridiculous.. The guy is a serious talent, and is one of the few who puts in 110% every week..

For mine, I would play Gilb alot more in the midfield and let his tenaciousness and arkwardness add another dimension to our faltering engine room.. His year this year has been promising to say the least, and he was good last week against the dogs..

In saying that, my changes this week would be-

Out: Raph (big fan, needs a spell), Blake, Geary
Ins: M. Gards, Dempster, Armo...
my ins would be
CJ,C.gardiner, M Gardiner & armo

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Got to admit I'm torn, and the decision comes down to where Lyone believes the players heads are at... after a loss where the team was turned around to the tune of 75 points in 3 quarters, there are 2 approaches I can see:

1) Send a message that anything less than 100% commitment to the cause is not enough, and that was not good enough. To really make a message like that stick, you can't put it on the fring players... dropping Raph, or Blake, or even Gilbert doesn't deeply affect the fabric of the team. You'd need to drop someone who is viewed as a gamebreaker and isn't didn't. A Dal, a Kosi, a Gram would send that message. Do that as part of wholesale changes (i.e. bringing in Armitage, CJ, C Gardiner at the same time) and everyone will know that nobody's safe.

2) Send a message that it was an abberation, but keep the faith - this is the chance for redemption. As few changes as possible.

Since Raph was an emergency inclusion, if M Gardiner is good to go, that's an easy in/out. I think having C Gardiner would be useful to in providing a road to the F50 rather than bombing from centre...

but if it were me, I'd be leaning towards #2. "No changes" is something we haven't often seen on the Saints selection sheet in the last couple of years... lets see what effect they have

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

what time tonight does the team get chosen,

i suspect,

ins will be

c.gardiner,m gardiner & CJ

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:what time tonight does the team get chosen,

i suspect,

ins will be

my ins would be

or give armo a run

but i say that Charlie should get a go atleast one more chance against his old club...

i wouldnt drop gehrig,

id drop Blake,
fiora
raph
Gilbert(maybe)?
L Fisher

Bring in

CJ
Gardiner,M&C
armo
Gwilt/Fergo
said it enough? :roll:

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:what time tonight does the team get chosen,

i suspect,

ins will be

my ins would be

or give armo a run

i wouldnt drop gehrig,

id drop Blake,
fiora
raph
Gilbert(maybe)?
L Fisher

Bring in

CJ
Gardiner,M&C
armo
Gwilt/Fergo
said it enough? :roll:
Nope

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I' bring in Dempster and Goose and drop Raph and Geary.

I' bring in Dempster and Goose and drop Raph and Geary

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

How prophetic Plugger66! :wink:

Sure you don't have a hotline to Moorabin? That rivals Get Smart. :D

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.