WEAK AND PATHETIC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

WEAK AND PATHETIC

I'm sorry i am normally one who tries to keep his emotions in check and not post on here until i have reviewed everything but i am so ropeable with the performances this year!
Yeah we won the NAB cup woopdeedoo our performances in the first 4 games have been pitiful. Yes we have won 2 but in both of those we were anything but convincing. We have shown glimpses in all of the games that we can be dangerous but the problem is that we seem to have no ability to play 4 quarters of football. Now i have a real problem with this when we have been told by all and sundry that Lyon would make us more accountable and improve our intensity at the ball. What a joke! The last 2 weeks in particular have been weak insipid and overall lacking heart.
Lyon has had a full season and preseason to get his gameplan and strategy ready for a tilt at actually playing good accountable footy.
Where is the heart, intensity and confidence - do we actually have any! Seems as though Lyon hasn't been able to change the mindset of the players because we have too many passengers and it frustrates me because they may not be the best team but the thing is all i want is 100% effort 100% of the time. I can't actually see this team winning a hell of alot of games in the foreseeable future (god i hope i am wrong) and s***s me to tears because i love this team i bleed red white and black 7 days a week 365 days a year when the win i'm happy as larry when they lose it makes the week go forever. It wouldn't hurt so much if we put in a good effort but i can't even see any silver lining at present because as a team they are weak insipid and absolutely uninspiring!
So Lyon as coach you have the biggest task ahead of you, you have to in the next few weeks turn this football club around, you have to drill it in to the players that less than 100% effort in every game will not be acceptable and they can find themselves in the magoo's because if they have not got a consequence for poor performance then the mediocrity will continue and we will never ever be a threat to anyone!
And i am over mediocrity and hoping i want results and i bloody want them NOW!
End rant
:x

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

7 goal loss with 2 less scoring shots and 2 out on the full from 30m out :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Buckets
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:7 goal loss with 2 less scoring shots and 2 out on the full from 30m out :evil:
Thing is it was game over before we had those scoring shots in the last quarter! Again we should have had them over the barrel at quarter time but again our intensity went south once the cats started to get the ball in the 2nd quarter.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

our intensity did not go, geelong were sensational

we had only 20 players for a quarter and a half

fisher.s was sore , others were obviously carrying soreness

Buckets
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:our intensity did not go, geelong were sensational

we had only 20 players for a quarter and a half

fisher.s was sore , others were obviously carrying soreness
Geelong blew us away in 1 quarter of football and that was all it took! And who was on the bench when they did that? Joey Dal and Hayes all at the same time and in that time i think they kicked 4-5 goals?
Mediocrity will not not get this team into the finals!
If we had players carrying niggles into a game then we should bring in fresh players!

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Sorry but for you to say that the Saints were weak and pathetic today I think you need to rethink that. Geelong played two quarters of football that was as good as you would see anywhere. At least with that opposition we now know where are weaknesses are. Poor disposal was a problem and goal kicking. There are some players who are not quite up to it when the pressure is on. We need to blood a couple more newcomers but only if they deserve it.

kalsaint
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:7 goal loss with 2 less scoring shots and 2 out on the full from 30m out :evil:

If this is your positive hold that thought.

4 goals 7 behinds in the first quarter with super effort is the reason for the reasonablt level scoring shot tally.

Outside of that, flogged in clearances again, kicking all around the ground woeful, players were protected less and less as the game progress by their teammates and the umpiresand Geelong took their foot off the pedal in the last quarter. This could have easily have been 60 points.

We need to play 4 quarters, we need to realise that gut running means all players, all quarters. We have struggled for 5 years against those teams that do this to us. Grant mentioned this on several end of game interviews.
Nothing has changed here and until this does change we wont go further than a prelim final because running means effort.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Buckets
SS Life Member

kalsaint wrote:

4 goals 7 behinds in the first quarter with super effort is the reason for the reasonablt level scoring shot tally.

Outside of that, flogged in clearances again, kicking all around the ground woeful, players were protected less and less as the game progress by their teammates and the umpiresand Geelong took their foot off the pedal in the last quarter. This could have easily have been 60 points.

We need to play 4 quarters, we need to realise that gut running means all players, all quarters. We have struggled for 5 years against those teams that do this to us. Grant mentioned this on several end of game interviews.
Nothing has changed here and until this does change we wont go further than a prelim final because running means effort.

At last someone see's the game for what it was! Roo on AW now saying that they need to work on playing as a team...why cant they do that already what are they lacking to do this?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:

Agree with most of that but we actually smashed the cats in the clearances today. Something like 39 - 21

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i said earlier in the year that the saints players poor goal kicking skills could cost of a premiership chance.....i got poo-pooed....

now i will have to rethink that....

.....they are worse than poor.......i have seen school boy sides who kick better......their skills could cost us a place in the eight...let alone the flag.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

No ticker

Coach with big question marks

Another effort that belongs in the dark old days of the 80's.

Sick of this club breaking our hearts.

jmac101
Club Player

completely agree re goalkicking.

goal kicking i believe lost us this game. it loses us more games than many people seem to think.

geelong just kept slotting the goals, thats wat good sides do. it gives midfileders and defenders such a lift knowing that most of the times they get the ball forward it will be a goal

our guys miss more than they get. you are never confident..it must be so demoralising...

kalsaint
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:
kalsaint wrote:

Agree with most of that but we actually smashed the cats in the clearances today. Something like 39 - 21
I am surprised by that tally given comments by the TV commetators.

At least half of those were in the first quarter. It was in the last 3 quarters that we needed we got done.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

absolutely 100% agree

this week was BEYOND weak and pathetic

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
happy feet
Club Player

Chocolate Soldiers

When the heat gets turned on we melt. :evil:

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

stinger wrote:their skills could cost us a place in the eight...let alone the flag.......
You're a respected and long-term poster on this forum but that would have to be the most stupid thing you have ever typed. Possibly the most stupid thing ever typed on Saintsational...

The sky is falling....

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
stinger wrote:their skills could cost us a place in the eight...let alone the flag.......
You're a respected and long-term poster on this forum but that would have to be the most stupid thing you have ever typed. Possibly the most stupid thing ever typed on Saintsational...

The sky is falling....
f***!!..i agree with him...goals win matches, its that simple. kick 90% of your chances and its a good start.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
At last someone see's the game for what it was! Roo on AW now saying that they need to work on playing as a team...why cant they do that already what are they lacking to do this?
Agree with you Buckets. The signs are not good. Two unimpressive wins and two weak as piss losses. Lack of accountability and lack of guts.
You can try and dress it up any way you like - i.e Geelong were terrific etc - fact is we're nowhere near a top four side and will be hovering around the fringe of the 8 again if this keeps up.
Getting very tired of Riewoldt coming out and making the right noises and the team not delivering on them.
Time to piss off players who aren't going to be part of a genuine premiership push. Esp. Fiora, Blake, Raph, Fraser I'm afraid is past it, Koschitzke - trade bait for mine - am so tired of his "potential". For christ's sake get some young guys into the side.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:

The sky is falling....
f***!!..i agree with him...goals win matches, its that simple. kick 90% of your chances and its a good start.
So you think we won't make the 8?

I guess I just get frustrated because it's clear most people around here have never played footy. Geelong were terrific today and we matched it with them for the best part of the game. I'm as disappointed as anybody, but we are going to smash lesser sides if we can maintain that intensity and improve our pressure skills and conversion. To even suggest we won't make the 8 is bloody ludicrous and negativity of the highest order...

We'll turn it around and all the naysayers will be, like, "I knew this was going to happen!".

The sky is falling...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Koschitzke - trade bait for mine - am so tired of his "potential".
kicked 3 goals, played well in the ruck and repeatedly went hard at the ball.....

i think your comment is very uncalled for, was one of our best today

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

just not phsyical enough, we need to be tackling in numbers more often.

I did notice that we played our best football when we ran and handpassed quickly till we got the pill to 50 then kicked either at the goal or to a forward. Once we stopped and looked to chip we lost any momentim we had.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
st.byron wrote:Koschitzke - trade bait for mine - am so tired of his "potential".
kicked 3 goals, played well in the ruck and repeatedly went hard at the ball.....

i think your comment is very uncalled for, was one of our best today
you're probably right. Am being too reactionary coz I'm so disappointed. Just tired of the 'potential' tag. Is a reasonable player without setting the ground alight. A few too many on here for mine think he walks on water.

noddy

I blame Raph Clarke :roll:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Phew Thanks for that.

Here I am walking from the game thinking we a) played like s***. And b) Even if we played our best, Geelong would have still torn us a new one.

But clearly, you have accounted for todays loss. Saved a lot of work for the coaching panel this week. And think, all that time would have been wasted planning, and trying to fix our failings from the previous week.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:

The sky is falling....
yeah whatever mate.

At least he based his thoughts on details.

I happen to agree with him.

What do you think? Or do you just want to bag him as being "stupid"?

Fess up or shut up!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.