Too soft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Kenny
Club Player

Too soft

Tactically obsessed and way too soft. Why are we allowing our guys to get knocked out unchecked? Can someone explain how and why we are dropping off the radar and the Doggies and Geelong are moving ahead in leaps and bounds. We are simply stagnating.

Didnt we put heaps of dosh up to get the best coaching staff available ? Havent we got ruckman now when we didnt in the past?
Arent we now playing with virtually a full list for the first time in years ?

Show me the money !!!!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
suss
Club Player

Tactically obsessed and way too soft. Why are we allowing our guys to get knocked out unchecked? Can someone explain how and why we are dropping off the radar and the Doggies and Geelong are moving ahead in leaps and bounds. We are simply stagnating.

Didnt we put heaps of dosh up to get the best coaching staff available ? Havent we got ruckman now when we didnt in the past?

Show me the money !!!!!
We need to wait a few more rounds until these questions can be answered as there's a chance the Dogs and Cats will be playing each other at the end of September.

At least we won the clearances yesterday and our effort was miles better than last week.

happy feet
Club Player

Lacking physical upper body strength..

is what I observe. We get to the opposition player, lay the tackle and more often than not they get the ball away and then they are off. We need some good old fashioned hard heads at present. Sure, our list has loads of talent but we are getting towelled up in the hardness department. I am old enough to remember Joffa, Burnsie and Jeff Sarau. What I would give to see some hard attack on the ball and the opposition at present. Also, would someone please explain why we stand off players and why we dont mark up close. It is driving me nuts. Baker cannot come back soon enough.

devil saint
Club Player

suss wrote:

Show me the money !!!!!
We need to wait a few more rounds until these questions can be answered as there's a chance the Dogs and Cats will be playing each other at the end of September.

At least we won the clearances yesterday and our effort was miles better than last week.
A bit off the topic, but you're kidding yourself if you think the dogs are that good. They've had a good start but they're beatable. When they played us they had no opposition for three quarters 'cause our players packed up. I'm sure the saints won't make that mistake twice!

Saintlyone
Club Player

skill not kill level

BAker sadly missed but the real issue is skill level. How have we gone backwards so quickly. Some of our mis kicks were laughable and synonymous with the Saints of yester year. I'd be asking what the trainers are doing in this area.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: skill not kill level

Saintlyone wrote:BAker sadly missed but the real issue is skill level. How have we gone backwards so quickly. Some of our mis kicks were laughable and synonymous with the Saints of yester year. I'd be asking what the trainers are doing in this area.
That's a pretty fair point.

:idea:

Hard at it
Club Player

devil saint wrote:
suss wrote:

Show me the money !!!!!

A bit off the topic, but you're kidding yourself if you think the dogs are that good. They've had a good start but they're beatable. When they played us they had no opposition for three quarters 'cause our players packed up. I'm sure the saints won't make that mistake twice!
Agree with this. I dont rate the Bulldogs that high at all, we played like absolute rubbish for 3qtrs and were as unaccountable as i have seen us in a long time. The Bulldogs were on the ropes against the Bombers Friday night and only a limited bench cost the Bombers the 4 points. The dogs will probably make the 8 but will get slammed against the better teams like the Hawks and the Cats

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Too soft

St.Kenny wrote:Tactically obsessed
there might be something to that. football's a simple game and should be kept that way.

get it and kick a goal or move it quickly to a teammate who can. if they've got it then get it back.

St.Kenny
Club Player

Of course its a simple game just ask Leigh Matthews who is staggered by the amounnt of traffic on/off the bench these days ....but then again what would he know? We can ask the visionaries who recruited Lyon and company why we have followed this path over the last year or so at the expense of a team which went in hard and stressed accountability.....they always have an answer

Look at the HAwthorn way of today....am not lookin forward to playin them now we have left that game plan for a more 'nouvoe' one from Sydney.

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
SaintWodonga
Club Player

to me it''s simple. We don't hit enough targets or kick enough goals. When we are up we let the opposition back in by missing so many goals.

Need a real injection of page in the mid feild. and we don't have enough goal kicking mids.

Roo is a star, but if he is to be a super star, he needs to improve his goal kicking and win games off his boot.

I remember Carey being quite all day then bobbing up with a quick 4 or 5 goals when it counted. We need more of this, not just from Roo but Kosi and co need to spend hours at training just getting their goal kicking back to basics.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: skill not kill level

Saintlyone wrote:BAker sadly missed but the real issue is skill level. How have we gone backwards so quickly. Some of our mis kicks were laughable and synonymous with the Saints of yester year. I'd be asking what the trainers are doing in this area.
Yes the real issue is skill level....

It is not so much that we have gone backwards skill wise (though Aussie wasa ahige loss as he was the best kick in our team)...

But rather that the the other teams have gone forward in this regard.

Poor player development and poor recruiting/drafting.

McGough in many ways highlight the misdirection of the Saints over many years.

The Pies get rid of him for despite his ball winning abilities they recognise that the game required better footskills and pace....both of which he was lacking ( and two black marks = not good enough)....and the Saints pick him up.

Is there any wonder that our current list is deficent in this reagrd????

Is there any surprise that RL went out and secured a player like Schneider who has better footskills and ability to snag goals than many already at the Saints???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St.Kenny
Club Player

Is there any surprise that RL went out and secured a player like Schneider who has better footskills and ability to snag goals than many already at the Saints???
And its like yeah ...where are we now with Schneider,. Ccompletely missing the point here by wanting to drag peripheral elements of a previous recruiting campaign. WHY THE F$*@k ARE NOT PLAYIN AS A HARD AT THE BALL TEAM THOUGH WE HAVE AS MUCH INDIVIDUAL TALENT AS MOST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE