Are there any consequences?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Are there any consequences?

At the beginning of the year we had many on here claim that the best part about the upcoming season would be that with this amazing wealth of riches that we gained through trading and drafting that these players would be pushing hard for selection and that this would make the Senior players more accountable!

The question that i want to know is how many bad individual performances should be allowed by our players before they are dropped to play in the VFL? Hell Terry Wallet dropped Bowden and one would say it had an effect on the team... just slighty.

Yes i know that the players already playing for Casey may not be the be all and end all, however, just because of this point does it mean that players who put in consistently bad performances get away with it? Because there are a few players that seem to need a fair kick up the arse and this may just be the way to do it!

And to be totally honest i think that some of our younger players Armo, Macca, Stevens etc...could benefit more from player in the Senior team rather than for Casey. Hell how many players from this years draft have already played for the 1st's? A few i would suggest, why the hell can't we do the same?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Buckets
SS Life Member

So we don't drop players for 'bad games'?

Suprising no one can answer a simple question.

Are we really happy with mediocre performances?

Buckets
SS Life Member

Bump^^^

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

really, really good post Buckets...I'm am 100% with you.

Lyon, just like GT in the past, doesn't like to react harshly to defeat, banking on sticking with the structure that doesn't work.

Given our depth that you correctly pointed out, and given that we are playing an inexperienced Essendon, surely this week is a good time to unleash some youthful vigour and run.

Issue the challenge to people like Armo to perform or be out on their ear fairly quickly, and don't be frightened to drop a "name" player.

Great opportunity, timing is right IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jill
Club Player

Would rather have enthusiastic , inexperienced kids out there than someone like Fiora - has not performed well this season,including NAB Cup. We all talked about our depth pre-season, - well the match committee has to bite the bullet - drop poor performers & promote those doing well - take away the "comfort zone" of senior players. However I'm NOT advocating dropping after 1 poor game, look at consistency.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Saintspremiers i think the main issue is when there is talk especially on here of dropping a 'named player' all hell breaks loose because we cant afford to do that! Yet we continually harp on about why we don't see the young guys.
We are not playing at our best that's for sure. Let's change things up a bit and become a bit less more predictable, perhaps breathe some life into the team that desperately needs it at the moment.
And as you said set them a challenge, but don't stop there set every member of the playing group the challenge because i doubt they could all genuinely tell us that they have put 100% effort into all of their games this year!

Buckets
SS Life Member

jill wrote:Would rather have enthusiastic , inexperienced kids out there than someone like Fiora - has not performed well this season,including NAB Cup. We all talked about our depth pre-season, - well the match committee has to bite the bullet - drop poor performers & promote those doing well - take away the "comfort zone" of senior players. However I'm NOT advocating dropping after 1 poor game, look at consistency.
Exactly! There are some players who have not had the best season to date yet instead of dropping them we have people arguing that give them time they will get back to their best! How long do we have to wait...isn't this just giving into mediocrity we wait and wait and wait....when will we actually see results? Give some of the younger players who impressed us during the preseason you never know they could actually surprise alot of people! Time to take a chance and not allow ourselves to get stuck in mediocrity!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

but joel bowden does not really add anything to their side at best anyway

he gets cheap kicks by being really free and never having an opponent...he doesnt go into contests or anything tough

do we have someone like that to drop???

i dont think so...our senior members of the team have roles and do them well...it is just a matter of the first few weeks or so we really haven't played anywhere near full potential

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Buckets
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:but joel bowden does not really add anything to their side at best anyway

he gets cheap kicks by being really free and never having an opponent...he doesnt go into contests or anything tough

do we have someone like that to drop???

i dont think so...our senior members of the team have roles and do them well...it is just a matter of the first few weeks or so we really haven't played anywhere near full potential
Ok...so just say that we somehow manage to lose the next two games, do we still say that we are waiting for them to fulfill their potential? I'm not asking for a complete overhaul it may take one or two changes to shake the boys up but i honestly believe that if there is nothing done to show there is a consequence then there will be no improvement! I dont want mediocre performances and i honestly hope that the team and coach dont either. But something needs to happen!