Apologies to Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Apologies to Dal

Should be forthcoming from a few supporters (who continually get egg on their faces)....tonight he was FIRST RATE....it isn't always easy with a hard tag....

You do not finish Top 5 in a B&F four years straight if you are lazy...get some F***ing perspective

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Too bloody right.

He had a top game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Against a piss poor team :roll:

4 Bad games in a row, is all relieved by one good performance against a terrible team....

If he can keep this up for the next 10 weeks, then i'll bite my tongue.

Harvey didn't become a champion by playing well against poor teams, and dissapearing against quality teams, it's about consistency, not one-off games.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Good to see Dal play well tonight. But it is only one match needs to continue next week otherwise he will undo the good work tonight.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Your one of the idiots I am talking about....

4 bad games......no, just not four dominant games.....and he isn't the first player to get towelled up by Linga....who is an AA

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Your one of the idiots I am talking about....

4 bad games......no, just not four dominant games.....and he isn't the first player to get towelled up by Linga....who is an AA
Hey we are all allowed to have our own opinions and to be quite honest Dal would probably be the first one to say he has not been playing to his best level so far this year!
And it wasnt just us 'idiots' who thought he needed to lift so did alot of other people!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Well those four 'non-dominant' games, are the sole reason that year after year mediocrity and less then a premiership is accepted.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes but bagging the F*** out of a guy who has been one of the best performed players over a long period after a few 'quiet games' is absurd and surely a joke, or from guys who should keep their opinions to themselves....

And the bloke who believes that I embrace mediocrity, should know that I have posted on here for years, and have howled down many a time for being too critical.....but never of players that have proven themselves...

Saintschampions08
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Yes but bagging the F*** out of a guy who has been one of the best performed players over a long period after a few 'quiet games' is absurd and surely a joke, or from guys who should keep their opinions to themselves....

And the bloke who believes that I embrace mediocrity, should know that I have posted on here for years, and have howled down many a time for being too critical.....but never of players that have proven themselves...
What has he proven?

Sure, he's been in our top 5 or 6 players since '04, in a steadily declining team. So much was expected of him after '04.

Dal showed glimpses of his best, but has never maintained his best for more then 2 games, he hasn't improved since 2004.
He's meant to be playing at his 'peak' (he doesn't have the excuse of injuries that many of our other midfielders do), yet it appears he's not.

I'm not arguing that he's not a good player, he's just not good enough, especially for what is expected of him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

3rd in the Brownlow
and finished High las season (approx 6th)

how good would you like him to be......

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

idiotic :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

On the money ,Mart, but don't expect too much !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:Against a piss poor team :roll:

4 Bad games in a row, is all relieved by one good performance against a terrible team....

If he can keep this up for the next 10 weeks, then i'll bite my tongue.
HA, the guy pretty much plays 5 really good seasons in a row and then has 4 bad games in a row and you lot hang him out to dry.

Gees the word HUMAN springs to mind
Saintschampions08 wrote: Harvey didn't become a champion by playing well against poor teams, and dissapearing against quality teams, it's about consistency, not one-off games

Did anyone say that Dal is a Robert Harvey, players like Harvey don't come around that often. I ask you how many true champions are honestly playing the game at present???
So please stop compearing other players to Harvey, as Harvey is a one in a million.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Tonight's game would have done wonders for Dal's confidence. He was tagged pretty heavily and worked his way through it. He also came back after injuring his shoulder and more than held his own in the last Q and that should shut those up who say he's soft !!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:3rd in the Brownlow

Brownlow voting is pretty irrelevant. Votes given by blokes who have enough on their plate.

B&F is what it is all about.

Dal was good tonight. Dal is always pretty good. I want him to be great. And he can be. He will be.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
karnaby
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:

Well those four 'non-dominant' games, are the sole reason that year after year mediocrity and less then a premiership is accepted.
Simplistic rot Sc08 :!:
Yeah Dal hasn't played that well over the first few games, however your suggestion that he would have to play well for 10 weeks just shows that you have a mind set against him. Ever thought about SUPPORTING our team?

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saint64
Club Player

I don't think Dal has been playing that badly. Its just that we have come to expect so much from him (which he delivered in spades tonight).

vacuous space
SS Life Member

This place is unbelievably hard on Dal Santo. The Essendon crowd around me were jumping out of their seats with joy when he hurt himself in the third quarter. He was killing them tonight. Barely rated a mention in the votes thread.

104 disposals so far this season (32 contested), one disposal clanger. I'd stop short of saying he's been phenomenal, but he's hardly warranted the kind of criticism he's got here.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:The Essendon crowd around me were jumping out of their seats with joy when he hurt himself in the third quarter. He was killing them tonight.
he was best on ground until injured and the fact that all our opponents fear and respect his ability speaks volumes.

the guy is a match-winner if used properly ... which means giving him a licence to create rather than asking him to be some sort of "accountable", defensive robot.

some are way too critical and look for scapegoats when things aren't going well.

i have $100 on dal santo to win the brownlow and i reckon he would have polled two votes tonight despite his injury (he's a proven vote-winner and the umpires love him).

as riewoldt told a press conference recently, "underestimate dal at your own peril."
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 19 Apr 2008 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he's much more dangerous forward of centre than mopping up in the backline
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 19 Apr 2008 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Yes played well last night until injured.

Whilst it is appropriate to acknowledge so has his poor form and in the eyes of many his poor work rate and accountability.....

Football scribes with a lot more nouse than on here were critical of him...

Again good last night ................but needs to really keep working at consistency in relation to

attack on ball

run to receive but more importantly run to assist and defend.....

Gut run when needed etc etc

DAL himself on a number of ocassions has admitted this weakness

Hope just becomes more consistent with the workrate.

Don't need to apologise to any player saints or not if it is honest assesment of some weaknesses................hope they learn from it.

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dal was very good last night.

In previous weeks there had been some calling for him to be dropped....which was silly stuff.

However those that try and deny that Dal had underformed in the previous two weeks and in particular in the dogs mtach have their heds in the sand.

Importnatly is NOT that he was beaten in the Dogs game, for even the best get beaten, bat rather that after quarter time he played a lazy game and often failed to put presure on when it should have been.

Ask yourself this
...are you content for the Saints to continue to play yo yo football where we work very hard in bursts and look dismal at other times????

A large part of the saints going mising at times this year has been lazy football...and dal has been one of the culpits.

dal should bea top 10 in the AFL footballer....last night he played like it. The last two weeks he has not.

One game is only one game. Lets hope that the rest of dal's season is more like last night and less like the Dogs match.

Dal has sublime skills and we all want to see him make the most of them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

It's ridiculous that Harvey is still out there running around like the energizer bunny.

He's fricking 67 and he's still playing footy. Can't believe it.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:3rd in the Brownlow

1st in the brownlow and saints b & f.

1 good game against a bottom 4 side...cough.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and 107 straight games- hasn't missed in 5 years so Hope he comes up ok this week.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107