Match Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Zippy wrote: My favourite thing - I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but Ball seemed to be running better and kicking longer - :D
He was sensational. If he's back to his best by September we're going to be a dangerous side.
Luke Ball for Captain (after the AFL send Rooey to the Gold Coast) :wink:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Bally even had one 50 m kick last night. If s that was his first fora few years.

Lets hope that his kicking power and speed return as the year progresses. We desperately need another A Grade mid....which is fully fit Bally can be.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Maguire was the invisible man last night, but will be critical against Tredrea next week. He's the only one strong enough to do a job on him. It's a slow road back for him, so we need to be patient.
the backline looks a lot tighter unit with maguire in it. he didn't have much of the ball last night but appeared to win his position.

did his opponent have much of an impact?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Easily our best performance of the year

Funnily enough even when the Bombers were coming hard at us in the 3rd Qtr...I never felt they could do enough to beat us. In the wash up of that quarter they kicked 6.0 to 2.3.....one less scoring shot. TO beat us with the opportunites they had they'd have had to kick about 23.5 or something and Lloyd was gonna have to contribute more. Neither was ever gonna happen.

We played well enough to win by 80 points. Essendons freakish accuracy and our inability to nail set shot goals meant that we didnt. We wont have 14.5 kicked against us this year but we HAVE to work at nailing goals from 30m out 9/10 ..not 4/10 as we are at the monent

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It is interesting looking at the goal chart in gameday live and seeing that Essendon's accuracy wasn't just great kicking. Of the 14 goals they kicked, just 2 of them were on any real angle. Most of their shots at goal were from straight out in front, whereas the majority of ours are from the pockets.

This is probably the biggest reason for our inaccuracy and our opposition's ridiculous accuracy over the past couple of weeks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:It is interesting looking at the goal chart in gameday live and seeing that Essendon's accuracy wasn't just great kicking. Of the 14 goals they kicked, just 2 of them were on any real angle. Most of their shots at goal were from straight out in front, whereas the majority of ours are from the pockets.

This is probably the biggest reason for our inaccuracy and our opposition's ridiculous accuracy over the past couple of weeks.
Have to disagree...
http://xml.afl.com.au/swf/live_stats.ht ... D=10220501

When you look at the scatter of all scoring shots they are not disimilar...and indeed the Dons kicked the two widest goals in McPhee and Lovett.

6 of the Dons goals were at 45 degrees or greater.

6 of the Saints shots were on mildish angles and from quite close range. These were all bad misses.
The Dons (Lloyd) only missed 1 such shot. This was the real difference...the Saints missed too many easy gettable goals.

Now sure the Don's were unusaully accurate.....but the realy telling point is that the Saints conversion rate of very gettable goals is simply not good enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Easily our best performance of the year

Funnily enough even when the Bombers were coming hard at us in the
I wished I could say the same.

We seem to go into pan mode....

Milney blemished an otherwise outstanding game witha series of crazy hanballs.

Charlie who also hada very good game marked at CHF dead in front though longish out..but wasted it witha poor wide pass toa contest...ditto for Kosi.

the beacon that quarter for me was Banger who as he often does lifted when the saints need it most.

He steadied and ran hard creating opportunities and his 30/40m passes cut the Dons up.

Without Bager's performance in the third quarter I would fear that the Dons could well have scored more heavily than they did.

awesome_days
Club Player

Positives
- We won
- The over 30 brigade
- We dominated the majority of the game (3rd quarter we had more I50's and one less scoring shot, Essendon only hit on counter-attacks - could easily have been an even quarter)
- We sustained high forwards pressure for three quarters
- Midfieldsers amongst the goals

Negatives
- S King injury
- Lost forward pressure in 3rd quarter
- Lack of confidence in front of goal

The last point is the worst:
- Would have been 3 times where we played on inside 20 from goal and were put off the kick, GO BACK AND KICK IT
- Marks around 40-50 where we looked to pass off (GBAKI)
- S Milne, 3rd quarter (GBAKI)
- Dempster - nails one on the run from 50 - 10 rows back. Has a set shot from 50 and passes it (GBAKI)

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

great game in reality we were a dominant side, accurate kicking kept bombers in game

losing king was critical his tap work was sensational, got kicks, in attack and defence, has become one of our most valuable players

dempster was a great stopper

harvey and max extraordinary

baker won't come straight back in, will need a run with casey

c.gardiner important role

ball on the way back

lenny tough as nails, his second and third efforts are brilliant

love the saints, very solid win

not many teams in this day close out an opposition for 4 quarters, the opposition will always get their time with momentum, you just need to be able to stabilise and turn it and we did towards the end of the third quarter

fqf

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
saint64 wrote:
Zippy wrote:dempster are the ones closest to the edge for mine.
I thought Dempster was really good tonight. Much better than last week.
Dempster was VERY good. Did a lot of one percenters too.
I think "a lot of one percenters" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

But I basically agree: he was heaps better this week than last week. But I think that he should always be on the fringes of selection: a bit like Fiora. He's solid at bestl: about on a par with Leigh Fisher and a bit behind Blake IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
savatage wrote:
saint64 wrote:
Zippy wrote:dempster are the ones closest to the edge for mine.
I thought Dempster was really good tonight. Much better than last week.
Dempster was VERY good. Did a lot of one percenters too.
I think "a lot of one percenters" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

But I basically agree: he was heaps better this week than last week. But I think that he should always be on the fringes of selection: a bit like Fiora. He's solid at bestl: about on a par with Leigh Fisher and a bit behind Blake IMO.
I think his disposal and pace are better than both Blake anad Fisher.
I reckon he played a pretty reasonable game last night. I recall him being in the 'right place' on quite a number of ocassions, but I f=don't know enough about him to determine if that was his good play or good luck in being 'dragged there' by his opponent at the time?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Dempster will get better with more game time and he is an excellent kick. Kozi proved last night that he is not a natural ruckman, but is handy as a backup ruck/ forward. Charlie is required in the forward line no doubt, but the forwards need to work on their defensive game. Ball needs to spend most of his time in the forward line. Good to see the midfield pushing into the forward line more.
I'm worried about the form of Gilbert and Gram..Gram should be on a wing or in the forward line, as he is too loose as a backman when he hasn't got the ball.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert I thought was quite good.....

Gram though was poor in his kicking apart from his late pass to Roo in the last quarter.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I still can't comprehend how anyone can actually think that Blake and Jones have anything positive to contribute to an AFL team.

Anyways just some points;

Milne was good when he had the support of the midfield within the forward fifty. It is way to easy for the opposition to bloke out Milne when he is the sole forward fifty crumber. Our players made some really poor decision kicking it centestedly to Milne, which made him look poor at times. Not all of his fault in which it may have looked.

Armitage is so Hodge-like its making me excited! Hard, tough, clearances, goals.

Dempster impressed. Seems like a quicker S Fisher.

Dal Santo gave me a scare. Hope s*** falls on every one of his doubters and critics on here. You are all complete morons, kicking a guy that gets the toughest tag each week.

I loved the scuffle. It was required as Montagna was fightingoff two Essendon blokes. Defending team mates is mandatory.

We can not kick for goal. Period. Especially some of our big star forwards. Its just not good enough.

Brendon Goddards performance on Adam McPhee has been seriously under rated on here and on the media. Not only did he smash McPhee's game, BJ provided us with class and talent with EVERY ONE of his possessions.

Not going out on a limb her but definitely believe Baker, Schneider, M Gardiner, Gehrig and R Clarke (i just do) are part of our best 22. Interesting to see who keeps there spot. Also Interesting, Aaron Hamill on MMM tonight stated (when asked) that the jury is still out on Raph. Believed he needed to start preparing for games like his brother does.

Lloyd is s***. And only ever good in a team with a premiership midfield, who were able to deliver the ball precisely to his chest each and every time when on the lead. One dimensional, and lacking integrity for the game via his diving and cheap shots. Lucas every day the week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I still can't comprehend how anyone can actually think that Blake and Jones have anything positive to contribute to an AFL team.

Milne was good when he had the support of the midfield within the forward fifty. It is way to easy for the opposition to bloke out Milne when he is the sole forward fifty crumber. Our players made some really poor decision kicking it centestedly to Milne, which made him look poor at times. Not all of his fault in which it may have looked.

Armitage is so Hodge-like its making me excited! Hard, tough, clearences, goals.

Dal Santo gave me a scare. Hope s*** falls on every one of his doubters and critics on here. You are all complete morons, kicking a guy that gets the toughest tag each week.

I loved the scuffle. It was required as Montagna was fightingoff two Essendon blokes. Defending team mates is mandatory.

We can not kick for goal. Period. Especially some of our big star forwards. Its just not good enough.

Brendon Goddards performance on Adam McPhee has been seriously under rated on here and on the media. Not only did he smash McPhee's game, BJ provided us with class and talent with EVERY ONE of his possessions.

Not going out on a linb her but definitely believe Baker, Schneider, M Gardiner Gehrig and R Clarke (i just do) are part of our best 22. Interesting to see who keeps there spot. Also Interesting, Aaron Hamill on MMM tonight stated (when asked) that the jury is still out on Raph. Believed he needed to start preparing for games like his brother does.

Lloyd is s***. And only ever good in a team with a premiership midfield who were able to deliver the ball precisely to he chest every time on the lead. One dimension, and lacking integrity for the game via his diving and cheap shots. Lucas every day the week.

McPhee was on Goose in the first half. BJ was beaten by McPhee in the third quarter so not sure what you are on about. Cannot beleive what you said about Milney even though it was all true. Are you actually saing he should hold his spot.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:I still can't comprehend how anyone can actually think that Blake and Jones have anything positive to contribute to an AFL team.

Armitage is so Hodge-like its making me excited! Hard, tough, clearences, goals.

Not going out on a linb her but definitely believe Baker, Schneider, M Gardiner Gehrig and R Clarke (i just do) are part of our best 22. Interesting to see who keeps there spot. Also Interesting, Aaron Hamill on MMM tonight stated (when asked) that the jury is still out on Raph. Believed he needed to start preparing for games like his brother does.

Lloyd is s***. And only ever good in a team with a premiership midfield who were able to deliver the ball precisely to he chest every time on the lead. One dimension, and lacking integrity for the game via his diving and cheap shots. Lucas every day the week.

McPhee was on Goose in the first half. BJ was beaten by McPhee in the third quarter so not sure what you are on about. Cannot beleive what you said about Milney even though it was all true. Are you actually saing he should hold his spot.
Should hold. I still don't think he has the body size to play AFL football, but thats my opinion as a whole. Not strong enough to contest and easily rebounded against. When compared to a player like Schneider, I think it just adds more value if playing though the midfield is an available option.

But on a week to week basis. Kicked two important goals in the last quarter. And the structure of the midfielder deep into our forward line showed how it impacted on our forward fifty pressure. Which Milne shouldn't have to be responsible for. Still shouldn't be leading to create a target unless extremely in position, but a lot of the times our senior players, including Roo kicked it to him from a stationary point which made Milne look awful through no fault of his own.

Thought that kick off the ground in defence was a bit week. Should have bent over and tried to pick it up.

Definitely will hold his spot. RL didn't have too much to say during his interview though....

happy feet
Club Player

Baker

Someone in the Port Adelaide side will be worried about Steven Bakers reuturn. This guy has been missed. Players play taller when he is on the field. A serious tough nut. Could use a few more like him.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote:Positives
- We won
- The over 30 brigade
- We dominated the majority of the game (3rd quarter we had more I50's and one less scoring shot, Essendon only hit on counter-attacks - could easily have been an even quarter)
- We sustained high forwards pressure for three quarters
- Midfieldsers amongst the goals

Negatives
- S King injury
- Lost forward pressure in 3rd quarter
- Lack of confidence in front of goal

The last point is the worst:
- Would have been 3 times where we played on inside 20 from goal and were put off the kick, GO BACK AND KICK IT
- Marks around 40-50 where we looked to pass off (GBAKI)
- S Milne, 3rd quarter (GBAKI)
- Dempster - nails one on the run from 50 - 10 rows back. Has a set shot from 50 and passes it (GBAKI)
agree with the last point there is a lack of confidence in kicking for goal. Maybe it was the saints trying not bto be selfish. but being at the game i nearly cringed every time they kicked for goal.

I was screaming why are you passing the football. kick the damn thing!

gram, reinwoldt, and a few others, have lost confidence in kicking for goal.