BenMcvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

BenMcvoy

Hi all I have read a bit here though I was away OS for the 07 draft so missed the hype on prospective players... dug up this article on BenMcvoy...

http://www.aflinsider.net/ben-mcevoy-is ... the-draft/

Kreuzer is playing in the first 18, any thoughts on when this guy will be playing in our firsts?

Any info on his form, has he lived upto hype, the article certainly seems to rate him back then...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

kruezer plays for Carlton, they had cameron cloke playing in the ruck (still is I think) we have Gardy, Rix, Kosi and king before him, ruckmen generally take a longer time to develope, so no need to panic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From WOM www.westofmoorabbin.com

Pick No 9 Ben McEvoy Murray Bushrangers
200.2cm, 94.6kg,

DOB: 11/7/89 (ruck/fwd)

From Dederang/Mt Beauty FC and an AIS/AFL Academy graduate. Ben has been on AFL recruiters radar for a while and has had good form this year. He was one of Country's best performers during the champs playing in the ruck and up forward. He looks to have good endurance and moves around the ground well but he is not blessed with a lot of pace. His ruckwork is pretty good, he can read the play and he can take a good contested mark. He is the type of ruckman that can ruck for a good portion of the match.

Comments:

Ross Lyon said it wasn't about for needs, it was about the best player, and they (St Kilda recruiters John Peake and John Beveridge) felt that at pick 9 he was the best player.
John Peake said Ben is a well co-ordinated good endurance runner who can develop as a St Kilda ruckman in time.
Matt Burgan said that the Saints were desperate to get a long-term ruckman.

AND written pre-draft

Ben McEvoy - 199cm, 90kg-Murray Bushrangers. (Ruck, fwd) He has been on the radar for a while and has had good form this year. He was one of Country's best performers during the champs playing in the ruck and up forward. He looks to have good endurance and moves around the ground well but he is not blessed with a lot of pace. His ruckwork is pretty good and he can read the play. His kicking skills are very good and he can take a good contested mark. He is the type of ruckman that can ruck for a good portion of the match. Where he goes in the draft will be interesting.
Pick 10 to 30

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

And..

McEvoy thrilled to stay in Victoria
Ben McEvoy continued the production line of Murray Bushrangers to be drafted in the top 10 when he was snapped up St Kilda in Saturday's AFL draft. After speaking to 10 clubs in the lead-up, McEvoy became a Saint when coach Ross Lyon and the club's recruiting staff used selection No.9 to lure the big-man to Moorabbin. Ironically, Fraser Gehrig's father, Graham, was one of the first people to congratulate him after his son was re-drafted by the club on the same day. "I'm absolutely stoked," McEvoy said. "To join the Saints and stay in Melbourne is great. Anything can happen in the draft and it's a relief things have worked out this well. I couldn't be happier" ... Lyon said the Saints went for the best available player. "Coming into the draft we had Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven and Eljay Connors high on our priority list, so we've walked away, in simple terms, with the players we wanted to get," Lyon said. McEvoy won the inaugural John Byrne Medal winner for the Murray Bushrangers best and fairest player this year after a stand-out season in the under-18 TAC Cup. He captained Victoria Country at the under-18 championships and again earned All-Australian honours in what was an outstanding year.
More Brett Kphlhagen/BorderMail/26Nov07
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 01 May 2008 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

and for a video..

Meet Ben McEvoy

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/46740

Club Player

excited to see him play... has anyone seen him play at Casey? nab? (again been away in asia)

bob__71
Club Player

saw him in tassie on the weekend....he looked to be good...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:kruezer plays for Carlton, they had cameron cloke playing in the ruck (still is I think) we have Gardy, Rix, Kosi and king before him, ruckmen generally take a longer time to develope, so no need to panic.
If Gardiner isn't available this week I would be disappointed if McEvoy doesn't get a game ahead of Rix. McEvoy would have been smashed by Lade and Brogan, but he could hold his own as a backup ruckman against Pattison and also provides us with another forward option.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:kruezer plays for Carlton, they had cameron cloke playing in the ruck (still is I think) we have Gardy, Rix, Kosi and king before him, ruckmen generally take a longer time to develope, so no need to panic.
If Gardiner isn't available this week I would be disappointed if McEvoy doesn't get a game ahead of Rix. McEvoy would have been smashed by Lade and Brogan, but he could hold his own as a backup ruckman against Pattison and also provides us with another forward option.

Well if he was going to get a game this year, this would be a good one for him.

Club Player

bob__71 wrote:saw him in tassie on the weekend....he looked to be good...
I just read all the Casey match reports, he looks to be starting to feature and
show promise

Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Well if he was going to get a game this year, this would be a good one for him.
If anything as a saints supporter I need fresh enthusiasm, armo and now ben... i just want to see enthusiasm... if armo get dropped im going to loose it big time

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:and for a video..

Meet Ben McEvoy

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/46740
seems a good type of bloke. level-headed and with half a brain. he's been impressive at casey and should get a run sooner rather than later.

The Peanut
Club Player

Ben McEvoy tapping for clearance strategy training this week - Hutcho supervising

jill
Club Player

Give him a go! Would rather see young ,enthusiastic player out there than Rix. Coach should give him his chance and tell him to just go out there and enjoy and learn from the experience.

starsign
Club Player

agreed, and whats wrong with bringing him in addition if Gardner is OK
He's not going to get a look in when Gardner and King are both back

Then wouldn't need to ruck Blake,( who may get a run on Richo), and it would leave Kozi down forward for the majority of the game as well

a great opportunity to blood him IMHO

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i clearly think give this kid a go,

while king is out.... what for another week or 2,

Bring in gardy let mcevoy learn off gardy cant hurt... then we can play kosi up forward also bring in Gehrig n schneids

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:i clearly think give this kid a go,

while king is out.... what for another week or 2,

Bring in gardy let mcevoy learn off gardy cant hurt... then we can play kosi up forward also bring in Gehrig n schneids
3 talls in who are the 3 talls out or should we get slower and even less mobile.

starsign
Club Player

no to Gehrig!

Dempster Max Baker
BJ Chips Blake (Richo)
Gram Joey Schniderman
X Roo NDS
Milne Kozi Ball

M Gardner Hayes Harves

INT McEvoy Armo ( Mid) R clarke ( forw/mid ) L Fisher (back /tag)

In M Gardner McEvoy Schnieder R clarke
Out Rix C Gardner Birss McGuire

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:no to Gehrig!

Dempster Max Baker
BJ Chips Blake (Richo)
Gram Joey Schniderman
X Roo NDS
Milne Kozi Ball

M Gardner Hayes Harves

INT McEvoy Armo ( Mid) R clarke ( forw/mid ) L Fisher (back /tag)

In M Gardner McEvoy Schnieder R clarke
Out Rix C Gardner Birss McGuire
& u pick Clarke over G....And u drop charlie why

starsign
Club Player

Raph comes in as a forward replacing Charlie who needs to be dropped on his SA performance
G doesn't get a guernsey as With McEvoy in Kozi can do the job at FF
G too suss after Scarletts jaunts, arthritis, and no goals for Casy, even though he has got a good record against the Tigers, we gotta live in The NOW and also think about tomorrow

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Raph comes in as a forward replacing Charlie who needs to be dropped on his SA performance
G doesn't get a guernsey as With McEvoy in Kozi can do the job at FF
G too suss after Scarletts jaunts, arthritis, and no goals for Casy, even though he has got a good record against the Tigers, we gotta live in The NOW and also think about tomorrow

Charlie who needs to be dropped on his SA performance

well we should drop half the team on that comment

starsign
Club Player

Charlie who needs to be dropped on his SA performance

well we should drop half the team on that comment

agreed but its a no brainer cos we havent got half a team to replace them with

you will however notice i dropped McGuire who has virtually left us one man short in deffence since his return ,and Max has had to try and cover his man as well as Gooses

Also Rix and Birss
all 4 IMHO were seriously lacking in application and deserved Anzac Medals for going missing in action

iceman
Club Player

Ben McEvoy again impressed being the sole ruckman in the side, and having rucking duties for most of the day. He is showing maturity well beyond his age and is a big future prospect for St. Kilda.

Ben McEvoy had his work cut out when Michael Rix withdrew late from the game, the young kid didn't dissapoint showing signs of what he is capable of, he was well assisted by Alex Silvagni, who not only was playing down back, but providing a chop out for McEvoy when required, adding some more grunt and and run through our midfield.

Michael Rix's work rate was second to none, rucking for most of the evening allowing Ben McEvoy to be used up forward as well

while Michael Rix was working tirelessly in the ruck allowing Ben McEvoy to drift forward and take a couple of strong pack marks.
http://www.scorpions.com.au/match-reports/season-2008/

Just a couple I could find from the Scorpions Match Reports.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's just hope RL is not as slow as GT when it comes to blooding new talent, or should I say trying new talent when old/current talent is not working.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sack Ross

Rix is great big piece of lead that should be sack along with Ross

Join the March, Sack Ross