For arguments sake - Riewoldt and the Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Re: For argument's sake

B W and R all over wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
the shadow wrote:If we don't trade, the AFL will find a way to take him from us.
What do you base this on? :?
Tony Lockett.
We didn't want to trade him, but the AFL made every effort to ensure that we did.
We DID want to trade him and he wanted to leave.

Collingwood and Richmond should be the supporters pissed off about Lockett.

Collingwood's admin baulked and the AFL made sure the offer Sydney made was second to none.

Had the AFL not been doing Sydney's bidding we still would have lost him but it would probably have been Richmond where he ended up.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Roo just needs to be played correctly, and we'd never even entertain the idea of letting him go.

Before I waffle on, why do we think draft picks will be any good? How many No. 1 picks are premiership players? How many No. 1 picks will it take before Carlton are any good ey?

Anyway, I heard an interview with J Brown the other night and the question was asked about his form. Stats relating to his goal kicking were produced to suggest he's struggling.

Brown said that now that Bradshaw was back, his role was different. He was playing the CHF role, not FF anymore. Hence his goal kicking stats.

This is why when people talk about Franklin, Pavlich, Hall and Brown ahead of Roo I get annoyed. He plays a different position to them.

He doesn't get 'cheap kicks' up on the wing. He gets posession for his team exactly where his position on the ground should. CHF.

If he played deep as a FF, I have no doubt he'd be kicking 80-90 goals a year. But until our coaches get our forward line working properly, and our mids provide more carry, he needs to play this stupid hybrid type role of FF/CHF which confuses him and the rest of the team.

We're not getting the best out of him at the moment.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Tony Lockett.
We didn't want to trade him, but the AFL made every effort to ensure that we did.
This is complete crap. Lockett wanted to go to Sydney to get away from all the garbage that was surrounding him in Melbourne (including the greyhound breeding scandal he was involved in). Collingwood also made a huge offer but HIS preference was Sydney. The AFL had nothing to do with it. Fair dinkum some of the conspiracy theorists on here!! Maybe Demitriou was the second recruiter behind the grassy knoll!!!
I think you'll find he wanted to stay, but the Swans put an enormous offer (largely AFL funded) to him that he couldn't refuse.

If he had to move, it would have been to a Melbourne club because he hated flying.

I've heard Stan Alves say that Lockett met him in his office and was actually in tears because he did not want to leave the club - but could not ignore the unbelievably huge amount of money that was being offered.

Since the Swans were an absolute basket case at the time and couldn't get a home crowd of more than 8000, where do you suppose the money came from that enabled them to recruit Lockett and Paul Roos in the space of months?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
congorozides
Club Player

id take a number 1 pick for him.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Tony Lockett.
This is complete crap. Lockett wanted to go to Sydney to get away from all the garbage that was surrounding him in Melbourne (including the greyhound breeding scandal he was involved in). Collingwood also made a huge offer but HIS preference was Sydney. The AFL had nothing to do with it. Fair dinkum some of the conspiracy theorists on here!! Maybe Demitriou was the second recruiter behind the grassy knoll!!!
I think you'll find he wanted to stay, but the Swans put an enormous offer (largely AFL funded) to him that he couldn't refuse.

If he had to move, it would have been to a Melbourne club because he hated flying.

I've heard Stan Alves say that Lockett met him in his office and was actually in tears because he did not want to leave the club - but could not ignore the unbelievably huge amount of money that was being offered.

Since the Swans were an absolute basket case at the time and couldn't get a home crowd of more than 8000, where do you suppose the money came from that enabled them to recruit Lockett and Paul Roos in the space of months?
Pretty much exactly what happened.

Turkey's account of events goes something like this:

Locket was offered the captaincy and what was then a club-record contract to stay, as well as all the time off he required to overcome what was, at the time, a very bad back injury.

Lockett looked at the deal, and said "It's not even half of what they've offered", shook hands with those present and walked out.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

and he went on to have a very good career with sydney.

it nearly all unravelled when the AFL sponsored freo club made a similar offer to Loewe to cross over too, after 2 outstanding years as FF.

at the time carlton had also made an offer for harvey, and apparently it was one in all in, one out, all out, for a few of the stars.

I think freo ended up with peter mann as no one wanted to join them.

the amount loewe was offered would have been an AFL record at the time (remember they offered 500k p/a for fabian francis >< which they never honored after being found to have breached the salary cap significantly)

I dont blame lockett, football is their job, but I rejoice at the harvey's and the loewes and the burkes and hopefully the Reiwoldts and Hayes who stayed and fought.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

Lockett didn't leave because of money.

We could have matched Sydney's offer and he'd still have left.

His preference was to go to either Collingwood or Richmond, but Sydney's offer was too good to refuse. Had Syndey not come up with the offer he still would have left.

Crying because he wanted to stay?

That's funny. :lol:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The question is will he want to go. Firstly let me state - I would be against trading him unless he or his manager approach the Club.

In that circumstance then we should entertain a deal. Quite frankly we will be in that no-mans land on the premiership table by then - not good enough to be in the top 4 or premiership contention - not crap enough to bottom out and get some good kids.

If we can get say 2 - 3 first rounders for him, this will have 2 effects.
Immediate effect - we will bottom out with the loss of one of our key players = more early draft picks for the next couple of years. Longer term effect 2 years after he leaves - our early picks gained in the inital Reiwoldt deal will begin to bloom and we will start the climb back up the ladder and only a year or 2 away from being top 4 team.

History repeating- St kilda model of the early 00's - the current Hawthorn model.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Lennon
Club Player

gazrat wrote:trade him at the end of this year
May I ask why?

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:Lockett didn't leave because of money.

We could have matched Sydney's offer and he'd still have left.

His preference was to go to either Collingwood or Richmond, but Sydney's offer was too good to refuse. Had Syndey not come up with the offer he still would have left.

Crying because he wanted to stay?

That's funny. :lol:
But you didn't answer my last question - where did the Swans get the money to recruit Plugger and Roos? (And for that matter Barassi as coach)

They didn't have a cracker to their name after Edelsten left.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Roo should retire a Saint and we should do everything possible to ensure that happens.

I can't believe this is even being discussed.
Well that's all well and good in theory, but with the AFL hell-bent on making sure GC and WS both win a flag within 5 to 7 years of formation there will be bugger all chance for us to rebuild in a few years.

I fear unless we are really shrewd with our trading, we will be a bottom four side in 3 years time as our top players age and slow down even further.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well I think we have the players now, its a matter of getting them to play together instead of individuals.

beekays post on another thread hit the nail on the head.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
asiu

if he wants to go .....the sooner we shift him off the better imo

bargain hard , make our adjustments now (09), get the 'no roo' era started

a year out of the game is good for us when we play gold coast as well

no positives hanging on with roo if we know he's moving on

sort it out and move forward

but if he wants to stay ....bewdy & ripper rita...lets get on with it

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Roo is a 1 club player if u ask me a true champion and if he leaves i think he will live to regreat it.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
danners
Club Player

i would prefer armitage than any draft pick. even number one.

he has wat it takes to be a great footballer and i can see him captaining our club in the future

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

and1showtime_23@msn.com wrote:i would prefer armitage than any draft pick. even number one.

he has wat it takes to be a great footballer and i can see him captaining our club in the future
Agree 100%, the kid has what it takes, his interviews in the media suggest a future captain.

Before Im 85
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

if he wants to stay, which im sure he does.

and i have all faith in ROO,

im sure he will be a one team player play 300 games for the club premiership player,!

but this way we have to shut the rumours up, and sign him to a long term contract (passed 2010 )

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Roo should retire a Saint and we should do everything possible to ensure that happens.

I can't believe this is even being discussed.
I agree Jeff. Bizarre discussing speculative football topics on a football fan forum. Not sure what the worlds coming to..... :shock:

Im staying indoors tomorrow - meteorite shower - suggest you do likewise.

chicken little out.

“Yeah….nah””