I wish Roo was as good a kick for goal as Buddy....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Franklin does not have a classic style, like Fraser. It will serve him well for a time while he is young and uninjured as his kicking strength makes up for lack of technique. Nick is an example of the ravages of time and injury - as is Kosi - for big men. It remains to be seen how it plays out for Franklin - and he can't kick on his right.

HarveysDeciple

Spinner wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote::shock:

i amazed some of you guys can actually work a computer....

this thread isn't about how many goals Roo/Buddy kick

this thread isn't about how good a player Roo/Buddy are

this thread isn't about which team is better

this thread IS about Buddy NOT being a better set shot for goal than Roo, like soome on here state as fact

Buddy kicked 6 today, 3 from snaps, 2 from set shots (one being in the goal square, the other 20m out) i didn't see his first one

i saw most of the second half, and he missed 4 set shots, ranging from 50m out to 25m out

how many SET SHOTS at goal does he have to miss before some of you people admit that maybe he's not the awesome SET SHOT at goal as you claim

sorry to be harsh, but lets try keep it on topic here people
I like the fact that when he has the ball inside 50, he has a shot.....unlike some others.
again not the point...

Franklin is a gun...but this thread is not about whether he is a good player, or whether the hawks are a good side..

its whether he is a good kick for goal from a set shot, and better then roo.

answer is no.
Well HD, my post was actually relevant to the set shot debate.

I was trying to make the comparison that Roo only shoots from directly in front, very close to goal. And hence by limiting the number of opportunities he creates actually increases the reliability within his kicking.

Franklin shoots from everywhere, and anywhere.

Franklin is a better kick for goal.
yeah and he misses heaps.. and when he does get them 30 out directly in front, you would flip a coin.
The fact he has more shots means he has more shots. It doesn't mean he kicks a higher percentage of them.

Franklins goal accuracy last year was the worst of all the top 15 goal kickers and this year he remains unreliable.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

4.5 tonight......

sorry to flog the dead horse, but i feel it needs to be highlighted or else some people will go around continuing to encourage the myth that Buddy is a better set shot than Roo

would have been interesting to have seen Roo run around for the DT tonight, maybe that could have changed the result.....?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:4.5 tonight......

sorry to flog the dead horse, but i feel it needs to be highlighted or else some people will go around continuing to encourage the myth that Buddy is a better set shot than Roo

would have been interesting to have seen Roo run around for the DT tonight, maybe that could have changed the result.....?
I thought buddy kicked 5 goals???

Pretty good effort in a All Star forward line.

Nonetheless, each and every one was a drop punt from where i was sitting....

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

I thought buddy kicked 5 goals???

Pretty good effort in a All Star forward line.

Nonetheless, each and every one was a drop punt from where i was sitting....
no, only 4

and of course they're drop punts, sailing thru the points......

:roll:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

it's a good point. Very selfish player who is relying on his athletic prowless currently. Will be interesting to see what an injury or two does, especially if it's his hammies or knee.

Have to respect judd in that respect, lost his ability to sprint away yet is so smart at where he positions himself that he pushes off and makes space so well. I'm yet to be totally convinced with buddy.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

To be fair to Buddy, he had two GA last night (one more than he's got for the entire year for Hawthorn). Was sitting with a mate who goes for the Hawks and he was commenting that a game like this could be a really good experience for Franklin, as he spends so much time getting pumped up as one of the best players in the AFL, to be on the field with the other candidates and players who have had that pump up before could really show him what's necessary to be the guy the media builds him up as.

It shows a lot to command 9 shots at goal in that kind of field, regardless of it being such a high scoring game. He set a couple up, he effected a really good chase on Goodes through the middle of the ground.

By kicking 4.5 (2 of the goals and one of the behinds were gimmies too) he also elicits for me more and more memories of a younger Matthew Richardson, capable of winning or losing a game for his team. You'd rather have him than not, but some days the home fans will love him, and some days the opposition ones will.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:it's a good point. Very selfish player who is relying on his athletic prowless currently. Will be interesting to see what an injury or two does, especially if it's his hammies or knee.

Have to respect judd in that respect, lost his ability to sprint away yet is so smart at where he positions himself that he pushes off and makes space so well. I'm yet to be totally convinced with buddy.
Your the one. He is a superstar and if he was playing for us he would be better than Judd, Brown and Pavlich combined.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:it's a good point. Very selfish player who is relying on his athletic prowless currently. Will be interesting to see what an injury or two does, especially if it's his hammies or knee.

Your the one. He is a superstar and if he was playing for us he would be better than Judd, Brown and Pavlich combined.
Thing with Buddy is that if he gets that accuracy sorted out he'd be better than Brown and Pavlich combined anyway... but donning the Saints colours isn't normally a tonic for accuracy, so maybe we should leave elevating him from superstar to best in league to fans of the team he does play for.

- Henry Ford
supersaints
Club Player

Yes it is a myth . I had to pull up Kevin Bartlett , Neil Balme and our ex CEO on the radio last year when they were saying that Buddy was much more accurate than St Nick , I checked the official data and Buddys accuaracy was down around 50% and Nicks around 60% when I rang. They were all sheepish and said they would check with champian data, never heard` another word from the so called experts.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:

Yes it is a myth . I had to pull up Kevin Bartlett , Neil Balme and our ex CEO on the radio last year when they were saying that Buddy was much more accurate than St Nick , I checked the official data and Buddys accuaracy was down around 50% and Nicks around 60% when I rang. They were all sheepish and said they would check with champian data, never heard` another word from the so called experts.....
Its the way Riewoldt kicks the ball for goal.

It's deplorable. Unimpressive and clearly hit and miss.

How can anyone that actually looks at the ball off Riewoldts boot, through the air, and just clear the line defend his kicking?

Its absolutely amazing.

Superstar....But his kicking isn't up there anywhere with the best.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thing with Buddy is that if he gets that accuracy sorted out he'd be better than Brown and Pavlich combined anyway... but donning the Saints colours isn't normally a tonic for accuracy, so maybe we should leave elevating him from superstar to best in league to fans of the team he does play for.
Exactly.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I'm sorry but superstars show this type of form for more then a year. Yes very good player who is in VERY good form but we are only in round 7 FFS. Seriously I thought saints supporters jump on bangwagons, this buddy wagon is choke full.

As I have mentioned, it will be interesting to see how he responds to his first serious injury. Or if the midfield start to struggle.

FQF
In richo I trust

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm sorry but superstars show this type of form for more then a year. Yes very good player who is in VERY good form but we are only in round 7 FFS. Seriously I thought saints supporters jump on bangwagons, this buddy wagon is choke full.

As I have mentioned, it will be interesting to see how he responds to his first serious injury. Or if the midfield start to struggle.
???

What the hell does that have anything to do with it?

Maybe you should just wait for him to play his 250 games. Retire for 10 years. And then make an opinion of his 'abilities' well into his senior coaching career.

Or you can judge him for what he is NOW. And acknowledge that he has the credentials of a superstar.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
supersaints wrote:

How can anyone that actually looks at the ball off Riewoldts boot, through the air, and just clear the line defend his kicking?

Its absolutely amazing.

Take out Reiwoldt's name an insert Franklin's and you've got my view on Buddy. Perhaps add a line about the different technique he applies in different situations.

Thing is, all of the dominant CHF's are in some way short of perfect, but do enough to give us an idea of what the perfect CHF would do... they all occasionally tantalise us with an awesome game or two, without ever quite getting there, and when they're off, we are dissapointed.

I think a lot has to do with the way the game passes the CHF position altogether in most matches. Of the 4 dominant CHFs (Reiwoldt, Pavlich, Brown, and now Franklin), Franklin and Brown generally adapt best to playing close to goal (though Brown has struggled a bit with injury to click with Bradshaw back)... though when given the role, Reiwoldt and Pavlich are more than capable of it. the first 3 are by now known quantities, and we've got more set expectations.

Buddy is younger and newer in his powers if you will, we see numbers like 4.5, 8.6 and think "wow, imagine if he'd kicked straight." Even though to date he's shown no sign of eliminating his bad patches. It why I draw the Richo comparison - we know him for a strong leading, VERY strong marking CHF, but the inability to convert has been his bane.

Buddy can play for another 10 years, and be a superstar for every one of them... it's inevitable that he won't get the class of delivery he does right now for all 10, but with his skills, the question is whether he'll straighten up and be remembered with the Carey's and Breretons, or go on to be another Matthew Richardson, who for all his skills has not been a guy that Richmond's been able to successfully build around (without meaning for a second to blame Richo for the woeful job of building they've done in the latter half of his career).

At the moment, he's no better a kick than Reiwoldt.

- Henry Ford
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why not make a comparison of Buddy with teh best shots at goal.

Is he a better shot at goal from any distance than Fev?
I would think Fev is a better shot than him.

Is he a better shot than plugger from any distance?
My memory and statistics would indicate that even in his short career so far, Buddy is nowhere near Plugger in terms of accuracy.

Is he a better shot at goal from any distance than Lloyd?
I think statistics would give it to Lloyd

I think it is wron to compare Buddy to Roo or other CHF's because he is playing as a FF and not a CHF. Roo, Pav, Lucas, Stewie Loewe, Wayne Carey were all CHFs who occasionly played FF and not FFs who occasionly played CHF (which is what I believe Buddy is)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

???

What the hell does that have anything to do with it?

Maybe you should just wait for him to play his 250 games. Retire for 10 years. And then make an opinion of his 'abilities' well into his senior coaching career.

Or you can judge him for what he is NOW. And acknowledge that he has the credentials of a superstar.
because players at 21 are always looking a little more aerobic then they are when they get a few niggles and start feeling their age. The amount of first or second year SUPERSTARS who go on to struggle is astounding.

Have a look at roo in 2004 compared to roo now. Back then he could run around marking everything. Now he struggles to get away from backman. Was interesting to read that riewoldts standing jump, sprinting speed and running jump where all above buddy's at the draft camp. Just shows you what 7 years does to a player, especially with injury and niggles.

If buddy is still doing this is 5 years time like roo has then I am happy to call him a superstar.

FQF
In richo I trust

yipper
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Its absolutely amazing.

Buddy has a delporable technique - which is why he misses so often. He is still moving the ball around in his hands whilst moving into take his kick!! Comes in on an angle of what? 45 degrees to his target - and kicks across his body. I reckon Roo's technique is ok - particularly on the follow thru, his only blemish is that he drops it from to high onto his boot.

I can assure you the Hawks coaching team don't like his technique and believe he did not receive good coaching in his junior years. He does have a thumping kick on him - but it aint an accurate one.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Spinner wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Its absolutely amazing.

Buddy has a delporable technique - which is why he misses so often. He is still moving the ball around in his hands whilst moving into take his kick!! Comes in on an angle of what? 45 degrees to his target - and kicks across his body. I reckon Roo's technique is ok - particularly on the follow thru, his only blemish is that he drops it from to high onto his boot.

I can assure you the Hawks coaching team don't like his technique and believe he did not receive good coaching in his junior years. He does have a thumping kick on him - but it aint an accurate one.
exactly

nearly all Roo's shots are perfect drop punts, i don't know what kicks you're looking at Spinner

he walks in a straight line at the goals, and the ball goes dead straight off the boot

unlike Buddy, who walks towards the left point post, and hooks the ball across his body, with the ball then swinging thru the air

so i would rate Roo's technique alot better than Buddy's

yipper
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:
yipper wrote:
Spinner wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Its absolutely amazing.

exactly

nearly all Roo's shots are perfect drop punts, i don't know what kicks you're looking at Spinner

he walks in a straight line at the goals, and the ball goes dead straight off the boot

unlike Buddy, who walks towards the left point post, and hooks the ball across his body, with the ball then swinging thru the air

I reckon all the top forwards kick with far better techniques - he just gets a lot more opportunities due to his undoubted talent.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
yipper wrote:
Spinner wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Its absolutely amazing.

exactly

Laughable.

Not having a go but are these 'perfect drop punts' seen live? Or from a TV screen.

Also, do you just disregard all the ones that don't make the distance and come off the side of the boot....

Riewoldt doesn't even want to attempt to have a shot himself. At least Buddy has got confidence in his own ability.

Roo looks to pass if he isn't directly in front of goal....

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Laughable.

Not having a go but are these 'perfect drop punts' seen live? Or from a TV screen.

Also, do you just disregard all the ones that don't make the distance and come off the side of the boot....

Riewoldt doesn't even want to attempt to have a shot himself. At least Buddy has got confidence in his own ability.

see, its blatant untruths like this that really annoy me

also, even Buddy himself knows he has kicking problems, as he says himself he would rather have a shot from 55 than 20 meters out

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:

also, even Buddy himself knows he has kicking problems, as he says himself he would rather have a shot from 55 than 20 meters out
Serious Dudy, Im really starting to believe that you don't actually watch St Kilda play.

My own mother can see that Riewoldt looks to pass at EVERY opportunity. (Well most anyways - Anything not directly in front - but positions in which goalkicker should get)

I understand you feel the need to defend him, but this is just way past the point.

Tell me now so I can stop pressing the point...You really think Riewoldt displays the 'confidence' that should be shown when in front of goal???

Im starting o believe you watch this guy with your eyes closed.

Star - Yes, Athlete - Yes, Spirit - Yes, One of the most dominate players in the league - Yes.

Kicking at goal - Absolutely Not.

HarveysDeciple

just a quick one? so you think franklins run in on a different angle and kick it accross his body with a spear swinging both ways is a good technique?

isn't the bottom line conversion? buddy's kicking is so inconsistant it's not funny.

the bloke is one of the best in the business no doubt as a player, and would be scarily good if he was a half decent kick.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

Serious Dudy, Im really starting to believe that you don't actually watch St Kilda play.

My own mother can see that Riewoldt looks to pass at EVERY opportunity. (Well most anyways - Anything not directly in front - but positions in which goalkicker should get)

I understand you feel the need to defend him, but this is just way past the point.

Tell me now so I can stop pressing the point...You really think Riewoldt displays the 'confidence' that should be shown when in front of goal???

Im starting o believe you watch this guy with your eyes closed.

Star - Yes, Athlete - Yes, Spirit - Yes, One of the most dominate players in the league - Yes.

Kicking at goal - Absolutely Not.
yes he passes off more than Buddy, but he doesn't miss form 35 out, basically directly in front, like Buddy does, repeatedly....

i know you're obviously too proud to admit you were wrong, but your beginning to show some Dermott Brereton qualities.....