When known..OFFICIAL TEAM(S) HERE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

We are going to need to get goals from where we have not previously found them this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

We are going to need to get goals from where we have not previously found them this year.
Kosi and G would be a good start.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Mini has been listed as an emergency. When was he promoted from the Rookie List?

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

My Matchups:
  • B: Leigh Fisher, Max Hudghton, Jason Gram
    F: Tarkyn Lockyer, Anthony Rocca, Leon Davis
    HB: Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Sean Dempster
    HF: Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Paul Medhurst
    C: Robert Harvey, Shane Birss, Leigh Montagna
    C: Dane Swan, Scott Burns, Scott Pendlebury
    HF: Charlie Gardiner, Justin Koschitzke, Adam Schneider
    HB: Nick Maxwell , Nathan Brown, Ben Johnson
    F: Luke Ball, Fraser Gehrig, Stephen Milne
    B: Heath Shaw, Shane Wakelin, Harry O'Brien
    Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo
    Foll: Cameron Wood, Shane O'Bree, Rhyce Shaw
    I/C: Michael Gardiner, Jason Blake, David Armitage, Raphael Clarke
    I/C: Chris Bryan, Marty Clarke, Sharrod Wellingham, Dale Thomas

Notes:

Leigh Fisher on Lockyer - Fisher generally does his job as a tagger. Will be able to restrict Tarkyn whether he's up forward or in the midfield.

Hudghton on ? - Do we play Max on Rocca, Cloke or Medhurst? Personally I'd prefer him on Medhurst, but do we trust Blake/Dempster on Rocca? Sam Fisher to take the tall who plays further up the ground, which will be Travis.

Why no Geary? - Looking at the matchups makes me frustrated! Davis, Medhurst, Thomas, Lockyer, Didak and Swan all Collingwood players who can play as small forwards. Even with Thomas off the field we are still forced to play the slower Goddard on Didak and the non-defensive Gram on Davis. Geary, while being inexperienced would be able to A) Free up Goddard/Gram my taking one of Davis/Didak, B) Provide run from defence. Our bench doesn't offer much confidence in helping out with the small defence: Armitage is a midfield/forward, Blake was toweled by Thomas last year, Clarke just doesn't have a clear matchup except for Medhurst who would kill him.

So who gets Medhurst? - Best case scenario is that Ross trusts Blake or Dempster to keep Rocca out of the game and frees up Hudghton to take Medhurst. However if that scenario is not possible Dempster looks to be the best option. He has height on his side and is athletically able to keep up with Medhurst. If Blake/Raphael Clarke lines up on Medhust then I wouldn't be surprised to see Paul's Coleman odds fall significantly after the game. The darkhorse would be Sam Fisher who kept Brad Johnson very quiet in our game against the Bulldog's.

Birss to run with Burns - Burns is Collingwood's clearance king and Birss had an encouraging performance against Foley last round. Swan is also a player Birss could be assigned to however Burn's disposal is far more damaging than Swan's.

Luke Ball the defensive forward - Ball has so far being a success up forward this season. His tackling ability is one of the best in the league which adds forward pressure, and he has also proved to be handy goalscorer. He could line up on Heath Shaw, who can be dangerous if left unattended.

Milne set for another big game - Collingwood just don't have a clear opponent for Milne. Rhyce Shaw, Lockyer, Heath Shaw or Johnson could be given the job however R.Shaw will be required further up the ground, Lockyer is far better use in the forward line/midfield, H.Shaw is better as an attacking defender and Johnson just isn't suited to the defensive pressure. Maxwell has been given unusual jobs in the past however Charlie Gardiner looks like he's the stereotype Maxwell opponent. That leaves O'Brien, who has done a reasonable job on players such as Deledio and Farmer this year. However this looks as a big win for Milne who will enjoy using his crumbing ability and speed to catch O'Brien out.

Dal Santo to get the tag? - Collingwood don't have many taggers/run with players to utilise on Dal as other clubs. Rhyce Shaw has done ok this year however compared to previous weeks this should prove to be an easier matchup for Nick.

Telstra Dome Record! - Collingwood has lost 4 of its last 5 Telstra Dome games including all three last season. We havn't lost to Collingwood at the Dome since 2003, the infamous "Capulano" Game.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Snakeman66 wrote:Mini has been listed as an emergency. When was he promoted from the Rookie List?
Just found the link.

McQualter given mini revival

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Def ... wsid=59324

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

That article has no mention of his elevation to the senior list ... just his being selected as a rookie.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:That article has no mention of his elevation to the senior list ... just his being selected as a rookie.
wondered that myself- but maybe it's not that big a deal to get a player listed -IF they find they need him-

although given the game is tomorrow It would need to be an unexpected out to get a call up

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Geary named as an emergency at one point last year even though he was a rookie?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
St DAC wrote:That article has no mention of his elevation to the senior list ... just his being selected as a rookie.
wondered that myself- but maybe it's not that big a deal to get a player listed -IF they find they need him-

although given the game is tomorrow It would need to be an unexpected out to get a call up
My guess is that he is being 'rewarded' for continued goof form at Casey by being named an 'emergency'.

I would think that if anyone is to come in as a smaller player then it will be Geary and if a taller player drops out then Ferg will come in.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Slowest team ever picked by StK.....ten players who couldn't beat me over 100....and a further 5 who would just....to borrow a term...FFS

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Slowest team ever picked by StK.....ten players who couldn't beat me over 100....and a further 5 who would just....to borrow a term...FFS
U couldn't beat the slowest guy on our list over 100 sorry mate so don't kid urself

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
yipper
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Slowest team ever picked by StK.....ten players who couldn't beat me over 100....and a further 5 who would just....to borrow a term...FFS
So you've said. Obviously you don't think we'll win - ok.

It looks to me that they are not that quick either - and we've gone the physically stronger bodies in an obvious attempt to address the contested ball situation we failed badly in last game. We do not have a quick list generally - but we do have some mature, bigger bodies on our list. It is a crunch game - not the time to be experimenting with younger, inexperienced players. Max won't play if he is no fit - if he is, he'll play, and we look stronger defensively as a result. Raph will play forward I reckon - just to be err.. different??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Fortunately, we are playing Collingwood who are even slower.

Bono
Club Player

[quote="Solar"][quote="Bono"][quote="Solar"][quote="Bono"]How many more injuries do we need before Raph Clarke can get dropped!?!?[/quote]

get your hand off it.... seriously the amount of crap directed at this player is beyond the pale....
[/quote]

Ever wondered why the crap gets directed at him!?[/quote]

because some people love to have a scape goat and thus only ever see what they want to see.... there were alot worse players against the tigers then raph.... of course this doesn't stop idiots coming on here and suggesting that he's crap :roll:

btw did you notice he set up the first three goals against the tigers and had a very good game. Same can't be said of dal and gram....[/quote]

Did you notice wh kicked the ball to one St Kilda eam mate with two Richmond players hanging off him with 30 seconds to go, one to see the ball turn over and end up with J. Riewoldt having a shot at goal!? He had No 16 on his back and it wasnt John Durnan!

Sam23
SS Life Member

IMO late change

In; Ferguson
Out; Max

Goddard.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:IMO late change

In; Ferguson
Out; Max
I'd be disappointed if that were to happen. We have enough firepower up forward, it's down back where we will struggle. If Max wasn't to come up then Geary must be the replacement.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:
Solar wrote:
Bono wrote:
Solar wrote:
Bono wrote:How many more injuries do we need before Raph Clarke can get dropped!?!?
get your hand off it.... seriously the amount of crap directed at this player is beyond the pale....
Ever wondered why the crap gets directed at him!?
because some people love to have a scape goat and thus only ever see what they want to see.... there were alot worse players against the tigers then raph.... of course this doesn't stop idiots coming on here and suggesting that he's crap :roll:

btw did you notice he set up the first three goals against the tigers and had a very good game. Same can't be said of dal and gram....
Did you notice wh kicked the ball to one St Kilda eam mate with two Richmond players hanging off him with 30 seconds to go, one to see the ball turn over and end up with J. Riewoldt having a shot at goal!? He had No 16 on his back and it wasnt John Durnan!
what the kick down the line, was the percentage play at the time. Didn't notice any free players down the line leading to him....

if thats the worse you can pick out in a 19 posie game you are desperate.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Batnoe

If Raph is injured like the website says, i would expect Ferguson to play

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:
Bono wrote: Ever wondered why the crap gets directed at him!?

btw did you notice he set up the first three goals against the tigers and had a very good game. Same can't be said of dal and gram....
I also thought Raph had a good game. Couple of wonky kicks, few frees against, and the kind of bad luck comedy that I'v come to associate with Raph when he fell over running unnoposed toward 50... he tackled hard, ran hard, and put in some great 2nd and 3rd efforts...

BUT, Dal? Dal had a really good game, and with Hayes and Montagna well held gave the kind of return that we really need from Dal to be successful.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
starsign
Club Player

I'm intrigued by the Kozi/G lineup!
I know a just a few weeks RL was on record as saying he would like to make this a goer, but a lot of work has to happen first!
So do you think they will line up side-byside or will we see Kozi CHF?
I'm fearful of the Pies generating plenty of run out of our forward line, which would counter any advantage we might gain through the rucks

am I being a bit paranoid?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Sam23 wrote:IMO late change

In; Ferguson
Out; Max
I'd be disappointed if that were to happen. We have enough firepower up forward, it's down back where we will struggle. If Max wasn't to come up then Geary must be the replacement.
Agree...you dont play a bloke down back who's been used in the forward line all year by Casey

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Do you think they will line up side-byside or will we see Kozi CHF?
wondered the same thing myself. it is a bit of a problem because kosi is probably better suited as ff rather than chf and fraser doesn't have the legs these days to play anywhere else.

will be interesting to look at the set-up

starsign
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
Sam23 wrote:
IMO late change

In; Ferguson
Out; Max

Agree...you dont play a bloke down back who's been used in the forward line all year by Casey
You'd think that Blake would take Rocca if this did occur, then we would need another defender on the bench Maybe Geary then, unless they revert to Raph , though I was hoping they'd run him up forward for once

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

the players are rarely played in the positions listed and besides most of those positions are now redundant. Charlie plays lead up forward, Kosi would sit 30 metres out and G would be leading FF. We have lined up numerous times this year at a centre bounce with X standing in the traditional CHF position.

footynut
Club Player

What does Matthew Ferguson have to do to get a game???

He is in form and can play forward or back.

Give the poor bloke a chance