McQualter in (again) - didnt we sack him lat year!?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bono
Club Player

McQualter in (again) - didnt we sack him lat year!?

How embarrasing that he is seen to be in our best 25 at the moment!

About time McEvoy got a game as well!

Still no explanation as to why Armitage got dropped last week, but t least he's back in.

Fiora out again.

Love the consistency!!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

about time that minnie got a game!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:about time that minnie got a game!
why though???

are there any reasons apart from wanting to see a new face in the team for the sake of it?

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
why though???

are there any reasons apart from wanting to see a new face in the team for the sake of it?
the main reason i want to see minnie get a game as well as fergo, and gwilt is because they gave something to the team each other time they were out there, give them a go , some of who i just named will get delisted,

To the top
SS Life Member

He MAY make a difference to a Fourth Division side in the EDFL, but at AFL level he would have needed to grow 10 extra legs.

And that is based (also) on his disclosed form in the televised game Casey played a couple of weeks back.

The very fact that we are still rolling this type of player into our AFL squad says it all!

Does not have necessary skills of pace, evasion and sure ball handling to carry his body size onto an AFL Oval.

McEvoy yes.

The remainder of the "Ins", sorry!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
why though???

the main reason i want to see minnie get a game as well as fergo, and gwilt is because they gave something to the team each other time they were out there, give them a go , some of who i just named will get delisted,
right....minnie has done nothing

fergo i think might be coming good but hasnt shown diddly

and gwilt is played out of position constantly and its hard to show what he really has when he is on the last line of defence

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:He MAY make a difference to a Fourth Division side in the EDFL, but at AFL level he would have needed to grow 10 extra legs.

And that is based (also) on his disclosed form in the televised game Casey played a couple of weeks back.

The very fact that we are still rolling this type of player into our AFL squad says it all!

Does not have necessary skills of pace, evasion and sure ball handling to carry his body size onto an AFL Oval.

McEvoy yes.

The remainder of the "Ins", sorry!
armos a fair inclusion and with us lacking hardness dropping fifi fiora for Gwilt i dont have a problem with either as for mini well its make or break for him really isnt it perform now that youve got your shot or enjoy playting in the VFL

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
MadSaintFan
Club Player

would love to see Gwilt given a shot on a HFF in place of C. Gardiner.
McQualter given a chance to play midfield without tagging.
Ferg a shot in the frwd line to add some pressure and marking power.

Geary/Armitage should not be dropped again this year unless extreme poor form. From what Iv seen from Geary he is a player for the future.

will be interesting to see the final team. Cant see McEvoy getting a game to be honest which dissapoints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:would love to see Gwilt given a shot on a HFF in place of C. Gardiner.
McQualter given a chance to play midfield without tagging.
Ferg a shot in the frwd line to add some pressure and marking power.

Geary/Armitage should not be dropped again this year unless extreme poor form. From what Iv seen from Geary he is a player for the future.

will be interesting to see the final team. Cant see McEvoy getting a game to be honest which dissapoints.
That means 6 on the bench are getting a game. Only 4 can.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would be nice to delist players KNOWING that they won't make it rather than keep them on the list for years, watch their good form in the ressies and delist them without giving them much of a chance

e.g. Murray, Brooks, McGough, Watts to name a few

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Good work guys, insteed of congratulating the guy for coming back the hard way people take pot shots without ANY real knowledge.

Mini was struggling last year, after lyon tried to turn him into a tagger. It got to a stage where his confidence was so far down he struggled at VFL level.

Got delisted but given a lifeline through the rookie list. You have to remember that this guy was a very gifted under 18's player, so it was a decient risk to take him on the rookie list.

The fact that he has been in the top 3 for the scorpions consistantly this year saw him selected for the VFL victorian rep team and elevated off the rookie list. He has been getting alot of hardball gets, using the ball very well and kicking lots of goals when he pushed forward. Obviously he has improved in his attack on the ball and gut running because he makes it to more contests then alot of AFL listed players in the VFL.

Congrats to mini, I hope he brings his good form to the seniors. Full marks for taking the delisting on the chin and working your way back onto the list. To those who question this selection need to get their head out of the sand and relise that consistant form for the seconds will get you selected in the first, it's not rocket science people!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bergsone
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:Good work guys, insteed of congratulating the guy for coming back the hard way people take pot shots without ANY real knowledge.

Mini was struggling last year, after lyon tried to turn him into a tagger. It got to a stage where his confidence was so far down he struggled at VFL level.

Got delisted but given a lifeline through the rookie list. You have to remember that this guy was a very gifted under 18's player, so it was a decient risk to take him on the rookie list.

The fact that he has been in the top 3 for the scorpions consistantly this year saw him selected for the VFL victorian rep team and elevated off the rookie list. He has been getting alot of hardball gets, using the ball very well and kicking lots of goals when he pushed forward. Obviously he has improved in his attack on the ball and gut running because he makes it to more contests then alot of AFL listed players in the VFL.

Congrats to mini, I hope he brings his good form to the seniors. Full marks for taking the delisting on the chin and working your way back onto the list. To those who question this selection need to get their head out of the sand and relise that consistant form for the seconds will get you selected in the first, it's not rocket science people!
got to agree with that.Well done to the lad,got my doubts whether he will make it .but cant knock the guys effort

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agree..well said solar..more whinging ninnies on here by the hour

Just on the "soft" tag, perhaps the players RL had in the chute as being soft HAVE been left in the side, with the rocket still ringing in their ears??

This isnt the EDFL fourths, a lot more goes into planning a starting 22 in AFL than just "drop the soft blokes"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iceman
Club Player

aah i love it when a player gets a spray for not being good enough etc. etc.

The reason McQualter is in this week is because he forced his way into the side with outstanding for for the Casey Scorpions, something quite a few players in the saints side have struggled to do. has been the subject of some heavy tags in recent weeks, and i find it funny how people comment on him being 'out of form' based on the ABC coverage a couple of weeks ago.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:more whinging ninnies on here by the hour
I don't think ANYONE on here could honestly say they never come on here and whinge,in your own way your quite good at it......

:lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Agree..well said solar..more whinging ninnies on here by the hour

Just on the "soft" tag, perhaps the players RL had in the chute as being soft HAVE been left in the side, with the rocket still ringing in their ears??

This isnt the EDFL fourths, a lot more goes into planning a starting 22 in AFL than just "drop the soft blokes"
Well quite obviously this is what has happend.

But why not drop the softies as punishment?

A fair few sides do this.....sure, you may not be bringing in tonnes of quality to replace them, but what happens next week if the soft ones don't perform against the Dees?

Do you really believe Lyon has the inclanation to drop a few "name" players in one hit?

Hasn't been much evidence of this to date in his 31 games at the helm...

Time will tell.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ratismeat
Club Player

I've got to agree with Solar on this one, it should be exciting and earn mini some respect that he has worked so hard to have another shot at AFL level. If he gets a spot on Sunday we can be certain he'll be one of the guys who gives everything. If mini's everything turns out to be not that much, well it was a gamble can't be worse than some. Good luck Mini.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I truly hope Mini has a David Rodan type improvement & prove many of us wrong.

Personally I rate him as a very ordinary AFL footballer who has shown no indication he will add anything to the club. I would have loved to see Rob Eddy get promoted as at least he athletic & has not already had a chance. Mini has 8 weeks on the list to do something positive.

I don't mind seeing Ferguson & Gwilt considered as they have at least show indications they have an outside chance.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good luck Mini-- give it your best shot Plus a bit.

:roll: with the way some on here are dropping players and never playing them again there wont be a team out there in a few weeks. :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:Good luck Mini-- give it your best shot Plus a bit.

:roll: with the way some on here are dropping players and never playing them again there wont be a team out there in a few weeks. :roll:
Can we start with Jason 'my ticker weighs a' Gram?

Halo Halo
Club Player

Re: McQualter in (again) - didnt we sack him lat year!?

Bono wrote:How embarrasing that he is seen to be in our best 25 at the moment!
F*** off!!

Give the guy a go!!

ttufc7
Club Player

As someone who has had a bit to do with mini I would like to congratulate him on working his way back into the team (If he is in the final team!)

After all the bleating this week about softness mini is one guy who I know definatly has a bit of mongrel about him. Give the bloke a chance he has hardly had a chance to show his wares since he arrived at the club. Im sure if he does get the chance he will grab it with both hands.

If he is given a decent run and fails knowing it may be his last chance to prove himself then maybe all you armchair experts can light your lynching torches.

jill
Club Player

Mini has earnt his place - time for others to do so too eg Gram!

Zippy
Club Player

I've always liked Mini - thought he was great when I first saw him. At the risk of damaging my 'peerless' reputation for talent-spotting, I think this could be the start of his return to form as a premier inside midfielder.

I'm not over-optimistic much.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
ThomasR
Club Player

Zippy wrote:premier inside midfielder
We've got enough of them. Give us some outside wide running receivers.

But well done to Mini all the same, great effort and obviously a talented kid, here's hoping he makes it on the big stage.