1966'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsrokk
Club Player

1966'

What were we doin in '66 that we're not doing now?

Comments please...
________
Lolol
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.

mick13
Club Player

Winning.

Mooksy
Club Player

Well life is in colour now.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Coach worked in a job full time (policeman) and coached St. Kilda part-time.....not even part-time, more it was a few evenings a week & on saturdays.

Most players had full-time jobs, or were full time students and fitted their footy around their careers.

All were grounded in reality....... I guess they did it hard?????

saintsrokk
Club Player

loris wrote:Coach worked in a job full time (policeman) and coached St. Kilda part-time.....not even part-time, more it was a few evenings a week & on saturdays.

Most players had full-time jobs, or were full time students and fitted their footy around their careers.

i guess they played more for passion unlike today with media,money ,fame etc.
________
Lolol
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsrokk wrote:
loris wrote:Coach worked in a job full time (policeman) and coached St. Kilda part-time.....not even part-time, more it was a few evenings a week & on saturdays.

Didnt seem to matter to Geelong last year or Hawthorn this year.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Yeah u played Collingwood in the GF. :oops: :cry: :oops:

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

maybe we will win our second flag in 2066, because it is not going to be in the near future that's for sure.

We had our chances....

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I was going through puberty, now I'm an old man.

Training Tuesday and Thursday night after work.

Played every Saturday afternoon (and a few public holidays).

After the game both teams and the umpire got together for a few beers.

Sunday watched World of Sport, with discussion of previous day's games, handball comp, roller cycling, woodchop (an O'Toole always won) and a rundown of the races.

IT WAS SPORT.

Now it is a business and does it really matter as much as it did then?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SteveStevens66
Club Player

saintsrokk wrote:

Forget "playing with passion," "doing it hard," etc. The 1966 team was simply made up of better footballers.

Seriously, if you were going to make up the best composite team from 1966 and today, other than Harvey and Roo, who would you bring in from today's lot to join a real champion team?

Carna Saints!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
saintsrokk wrote:

Forget "playing with passion," "doing it hard," etc. The 1966 team was simply made up of better footballers.

Seriously, if you were going to make up the best composite team from 1966 and today, other than Harvey and Roo, who would you bring in from today's lot to join a real champion team?
honestly, if u plucked the guys from 66 and put them in todays football, they would struggle, due to the simple fact fitness and skill levels have risen alot

but if ur comparing them relatively, then yes, of course they are a long way ahead

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

twas 2 years before I started following footy *sigh*

Hey lets not forget the "Pleasant Sunday mornings" (all male supporters welcome) ;-)

Did anyone here go to those? Were there really strippers and shyteloads of beer as legend would have it?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SteveStevens66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:
saintsrokk wrote:

honestly, if u plucked the guys from 66 and put them in todays football, they would struggle, due to the simple fact fitness and skill levels have risen alot

but if ur comparing them relatively, then yes, of course they are a long way ahead
Of course I'm comparing them relative to their fitness levels. If you didn't do that you could never pick a Team of the Century and any player from before the current era wouldn't stand a chance. So I'm not suggesting those winners in '66 could aerobically keep up with our current crop of losers when it comes to fitness. But pound for pound that '66 side was a far superior team, with evenness, strength and star quality on every line. Oh, and not a soft one among them. Just recall the goal to goal line: Murray, Synman, Stewart, Baldock, Neale.

It is enough to make one weep. And not only because they won the Flag but because they were always big game players and never wilted.

Carna Saints!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

'66 team was balanced in skills, size and toughness across all positions on the ground -as was Geelong's last year, and as are most premiership teams. Once you recruit for that to happen, the rest sort of falls into place and then needs a coach who can motivate and communicate -a straight talker was Jeans. Our team is out of balance in skills, size and toughness due to poor recruiting over the last 5-6 years.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

spert wrote:'66 team was balanced in skills, size and toughness across all positions on the ground -as was Geelong's last year, and as are most premiership teams. Once you recruit for that to happen, the rest sort of falls into place and then needs a coach who can motivate and communicate -a straight talker was Jeans. Our team is out of balance in skills, size and toughness due to poor recruiting over the last 5-6 years.
Spot on. There is no comparison between these two teams. Not only was it perfectly balanced but we had a coach then who played players in the positions best suited to them. And why? He knew how to coach. That's another enormous difference between '66 and '08

Carna Saints!!!
thenumber9

we probably had better players

Halo Halo
Club Player

For a start we were playing in a smaller competition, so we didnt have to win as many games.. We were playing a less athletic game & lastly 'we' were playing 15 years before I was born...

Very jealous of all those who have atleast got to experience one major Victory..

Its all been pre-season glory & main season faliure for me!!

But saying all that I could NEVER support a another team & when we do get that elusive flag its gunna be HUGE!!

bergsone
SS Life Member

66 side also aguy called Ditterich sitting on the sidelines,walk up start today.I was lucky enough to be there in 66,sure you cant compare but probably Harves ,Roo,Hayes this class of player would fit ,as they say ,cream allways rises to the top.

ctqs
Club Player

My dad never followed St Kilda. In fact he never followed league football. He's in his 70s and still prefers local footy. But he's always said Baldock was the best player he's ever seen.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
jill
Club Player

Was there - started going when we were at the junction oval !
The StKilda 66 side were a a Team! - not all champions when compared to some at other clubs - but bled Red,Black&White - no better example is Alan Morrow - barely 6 ft tall he played his heart out for the club - so fitting the ball ended up in his capable hands(Bob Murray said it was Morow he chose to direct his kick to)when the siren went!

ctqs
Club Player

Those blokes have carried the torch for this club for long enough. They've done their bit. It's time the new blokes put their hand up and did their bit.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1966'

saintsrokk wrote:What were we doin in '66 that we're not doing now?

Comments please...

Well were not kicking it out of bounds on the full at every opportunity may be we should try that?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

heard a ex player can't remember his name on grumpy old men one day, can't remember his name (also left the year of the premiership or the year before) a young wingman who thought Jeans was a really bad coach at St Kilda, and couldn't believe how good he became at Hawthorn.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Comments please...
Well we're still kicking points... surely thats a good sign?

kalsaint
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:

Comments please...

Well were not kicking it out of bounds on the full at every opportunity may be we should try that?
and if we did, it got tossed in. Ther were no frees for that sort of thing in those days.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency