Inspire us Ross….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Inspire us Ross….

Some very famous footage of Ted Whitten has him leaning over his players at ¾ time in his last appearance as captain Coach and he says to his players “I want you to inspire meâ€

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Ask any of the saintsational forum players and they will tell you that barks4eva inspires them right off the inspiration meter.

each and evey one of them are pathalogical liars :wink: !!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:35am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sigh. Listen to Blighty's 'special comments' on TV...he was/is a lunatic! My flatmate, a mad Crows fan, was furious the day we hired him, to which I mused..."Don't worry mate, he'll either make us champions, or we'll make him insane". Didn't take long. Still, when you come to a club several months after claiming they should be shut down (or words to that effect from MB, post-Alves sacking), your agenda is on the table for all to see. He was a greedy, power-hungry weirdo, and he sucked us right in, we should be happy we managed to escape with some good recruits.

Sad to see Sheldon and Alves go though. Was surprised by GT's sacking, but he was predicible.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping/praying that we'd get Blight initially.....then I couldn't wait to see the back of him! Greatest and most passionless cash grabber of all time! His special comments make me want to throw up! Can't stand the bloke these days!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Blights a dill.

His comments are inane not insightful.

"I reckon if he laced his boots to the left on Thursdays......"

Hes read the press about being the eccentric genius and now is trying to live up to it........shame in his prime when he had motivation he could clearly coach - not by the time we dangled 1m in front of him.....he saw a beach house and not much else....

“Yeah….nah””
Saint Mik
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Blights a dill.

His comments are inane not insightful.

"I reckon if he laced his boots to the left on Thursdays......"

Hes read the press about being the eccentric genius and now is trying to live up to it........shame in his prime when he had motivation he could clearly coach - not by the time we dangled 1m in front of him.....he saw a beach house and not much else....
Should of stuck with him until the end of that year at least

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Inspire us Ross….

aussierules0k wrote:
On the note of Coaches... as we know, Alves, Sheldon and GT all took us closer... all were sacked.
So because we sacked coaches that made us more successful we should not sack a coach who has taken us rapidly backwards?
Now that is the st kilda way!

Give Lyon this year - if the team hasn't improved WHY keep him on? (personally i hope we do make finals -we do win a finals game and our confidence improves and we hit 2009 running - if so then keep him for 2009 and watch what unfolds)

He is not here to develop a list. His agenda was success in his term - does anybody really believe he can turn it around next year? If not then why keep him!

Why was Malcolm a poor choice - he had no desire to coach! he imparted no desire on an initially expectant player list! the one honest thing he did at the club got him sacked! Again the st kilda way.
Time for a change!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saints43
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:Ross the boss – as exciting as watching paint dry on a cold, cold day. Could inspire me to buy hot pie on a cold night at the footy. Doesn’t even appear to try to pretend he wants interaction….Inspire gauge 2/10
I think it was Greg Baum (I may be wrong - some journalist) on SEN on the weekend who said that St Kilda wanted a coach who would be steady, no ups & downs. He used the term 'metronomic'.

When the recruitment firm analysed the testing results Ross was that candidate.

It was suggested that they thought the team shouldn't have to be inspired by some external force. And therefore to some degree, I suppose, be subject to that force. It's been discussed here many times. Self starters, self motivators etc.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

at this level of comp the players shouldn need the coach to inspire them it should be just the internal want to be the best they can be that should drive them all these silly rev ups and pump up prove is that the player were not giving 100% to start off with . its like when a team lifts for a players last game ... why the hell not do that every week ? why wait for somthing to happen to give that little extra ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SteveStevens66
Club Player

Blight only has a job as a special comments man because he was a great footballer. It is yet another instance of "jobs for the boys." His "comments" are evidence of his utter stupidity and if decisions were based on merit in the business of AFL, he'd be on a putting green somewhere and never allowed near a microphone. He is a total moron.

Carna Saints!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think the team needs to speak with deeds on the field, but unfortunately, they are speaking a very strange language when they play, and I don't think the coach and team speak the same language.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:at this level of comp the players shouldn need the coach to inspire them it should be just the internal want to be the best they can be that should drive them all these silly rev ups and pump up prove is that the player were not giving 100% to start off with . its like when a team lifts for a players last game ... why the hell not do that every week ? why wait for somthing to happen to give that little extra ??
If you could answer that st_Trav, you'd be a premiership coach by now.

Rixroxruck

Wouldnt cry over Blighty's sacking. We gave him a premiership and a million or so bucks. He's got pretty fond memories of the Saints I bet.

Who am I ? I'm not a tram conductor !
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Interesting thread.

FWIW, I've seen a few coaches over the years first hand. In terms of motivation, Tommy Hafey leads the pack, hands down. You'd run through 20 brick walls for him.

Malcolm Blight was very big on the boot laces thing, believe it or not. In his dossier on how to play AFL and all his rules, boot laces was very high on the agenda. I'd have liked to see him continue just to see what happened, but I knew he'd be gone pretty quickly after Round 14 of that year. Writing was on the wall of the coaches box of that game.

His motivation factor came mainly from his name of being a superstar player and coach.

As for GT, you'd be surprised at his level of ability to motivate. His demeanour and agro meant that you'd want to please him to get on his good side as you knew the bad side meant pergatory for months. But Joffa Burns' comments about him not being able to trust GT probably ring true also. I doubt you ever knew fully where you stood with GT.

Kenny Sheldon was a good players coach also. Well, unless you ask Craig Devonport!!

8-)

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:As for GT, you'd be surprised at his level of ability to motivate. His demeanour and agro meant that you'd want to please him to get on his good side as you knew the bad side meant pergatory for months. But Joffa Burns' comments about him not being able to trust GT probably ring true also. I doubt you ever knew fully where you stood with GT.

Kenny Sheldon was a good players coach also. Well, unless you ask Craig Devonport!!
GT did look to be somewhat of a motivator...he certainly wasn't the 'dead fish' the media liked to make him out to be. However, he was very devisive...live by the sword, die by the sword, eh?

I loved Ken Sheldon, thought he worked wonders with a team that was battling it's way out of the dark past.

I was always interested in what made Stan Alves tick though...he seemed to (outwardly) treat the team like a bunch of kids (not helped by taking 'em to the movies and going swimming), but achieved results. Very stunned by his sacking...can anyone shed some light for me on Stan's coaching efforts at St Kilda?

St_Cave
Club Player

Yeah i think Stan was a bit rough getting dumped after they made the Grand Final. He came and did a cameo coaching session for one of the teams i played for a while back. He seemed a bit disinterested at the time but this was a few years after his coaching days and probably didn't want to be there.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote: Malcolm Blight – I was ready to pull the boots on and run out there to play. Had me believing we’d go from last to 1st in one year and that his Adelaide model would fire us in as contenders. Off the scale on the inspire gauge 11/10
A sad, sad day when we... sacked Malcom Blight.
Idiots. "oh but the golf" I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. He should've been given 3 years at least. GT the social climber was a main instigator in MB's down fall... as I understand the story.... which could be far from the truth.
And it is. GT was pushed into taking on the coaching role by Buttress. Have a listen to audio from the first ever press conference and it's clear Thomas was not expecting to take on the job, whereas Buttress sounds like it had been his plan for some time.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: GT was pushed into taking on the coaching role by Buttress. Have a listen to audio from the first ever press conference and it's clear Thomas was not expecting to take on the job, whereas Buttress sounds like it had been his plan for some time.
Not wanting to turn this into an anti-GT thread (yawn), but who was it around the club (or was it just the media) that labelled GT 'Cornflakes', as he'd been tipped out of Blight's coaching box so many times for pretending he was the coach? He might have been surprised by the timing, but was GT was an innocent pawn with no control over what was happening?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was nicknamed 'Cornflakes' by Patrick Smith... after Butterss said in an article that GT 'ate pressure for breakfast'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
evertonfc wrote: GT was pushed into taking on the coaching role by Buttress. Have a listen to audio from the first ever press conference and it's clear Thomas was not expecting to take on the job, whereas Buttress sounds like it had been his plan for some time.
Not wanting to turn this into an anti-GT thread (yawn), but who was it around the club (or was it just the media) that labelled GT 'Cornflakes', as he'd been tipped out of Blight's coaching box so many times for pretending he was the coach? He might have been surprised by the timing, but was GT was an innocent pawn with no control over what was happening?
It was Patrick Smith but you have the story wrong. It had nothing to do with being tipped out of MB coaching box so many times it was because GT had been tipped out of so many coaching boxes in his time.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
It was Patrick Smith but you have the story wrong. It had nothing to do with being tipped out of MB coaching box so many times it was because GT had been tipped out of so many coaching boxes in his time.
OK...I geddit. Would you say he was a cereal offender then!?!

Like the 'pressure for breakfast' comment. Surely that'd make RL tofu right now, due to his pressure absobsion qualities???

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It would appear that RL "inspired" the players for the Freo game.....the team was noticeably at a higher level against Freo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:It would appear that RL "inspired" the players for the Freo game.....the team was noticeably at a higher level against Freo.
Couldn't have been Lyon, he can do no right remember.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:It would appear that RL "inspired" the players for the Freo game.....the team was noticeably at a higher level against Freo.
Couldn't have been Lyon, he can do no right remember.
higher level?
i musta been watching a reply of a diff game.
we were ok
and freo were shite.

i did like the way Allen presented 8-)
i also like the way mcevoy got hammered by sandilands in the ruck, but tried hard in the second effort dept trying to crumb his own ball.....i can see why we drafted him.
mini is gonna lose his head one day, in and under and chases. 8-)

if that was north or the crows on friday, i would be well chuffed
but it was freo people...
granted they beat north...so hopefully that means anything can happen this week when we play them.