Gwilt and Mini

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt and Mini

Happy to see them play good games last night. McQualter was tough at it and was vital with his attack on the ball after Lenny went down.

Jimmy Gwilt has taken the mantle of crowd scapegoat because Raph is not there and was continually bagged by the crowd last night, but after watching the replay (hard to do but I did do it) he played a pretty good game.

He is being played out of position in the backs and like Raph is more of a HFF, however he freed up Gram and wasn't bad mopping up down back.

two players who have been around for a while and have never really shown much, and while we cant build a premiership tilt around these type of players, they at least played probably there best games for us last night.

I know I will be called a Lyon lover but good on the coach for keeping Gwilt in and letting him have a few games to see if he is AFL material or is filling up a spot on the list.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Gwilt get a chance to play a more attacking role if we are going to persist with him. I was speaking to a guy last week who said he saw Gwilt play the year before we drafted him and he was a gun. The difference being that he played on the wing (and that he was playing in a lesser comp).

karnaby
Club Player

Re: Gwilt and Mini

joffaboy wrote:Happy to see them play good games last night. McQualter was tough at it and was vital with his attack on the ball after Lenny went down.

Jimmy Gwilt has taken the mantle of crowd scapegoat because Raph is not there and was continually bagged by the crowd last night, but after watching the replay (hard to do but I did do it) he played a pretty good game.

He is being played out of position in the backs and like Raph is more of a HFF, however he freed up Gram and wasn't bad mopping up down back.

two players who have been around for a while and have never really shown much, and while we cant build a premiership tilt around these type of players, they at least played probably there best games for us last night.

I know I will be called a Lyon lover but good on the coach for keeping Gwilt in and letting him have a few games to see if he is AFL material or is filling up a spot on the list.
I agree with pretty much all of the above & I completely agree with the last sentence. I think that RL HAS to give our "borderline" players a fair chance over a number of consecutive games. To expect players, who in all fairness would not be rated (FWTW :roll: ) in our best 22, to come straight in to the team and be anything more than servicable when most of those around them are poor is very unfair.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
taz
Club Player

Gwilt showed skill and judgement last night

I was impressed. promising
Thought McQ was a fair. Seems to have bulked up a bit, but was trying to get in and under

gooner
Club Player

Gwilt's best game since Adelaide.
Thought he showed composure under pressure (more so than Raph) and could be an option down back to let Gilbert go forward.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Russman
Club Player

I was impressed with Gwilt last night.
When you compare last night's game to the way Raph has played earlier this season , Gwilt appears a lot futher ahead.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
aussiejones
Club Player

Lets face it we are not finals material.

So , play as many of the group as possible Gwilt, McQualter etc etc .
Consecutive games so they can show what they have to give .
Also play them in their natural positions rather than the square peg in a round hole just because it suits an injury caused vacancy.

Let RL find out IF they are just making up the numbers .....before a cleanout at end of year.

steph
Club Player

i'm not sold on gwilt

he has a beautiful left foot, but sometimes i think he just gets lazy. you must hit your targets on the chest, particularly when playing in the backline!

for mine, he is in the 50-50 basket, could go either way. i hope he can produce, but he needs to lift his intensity levels.

assuming from RL's press conference that he will get a game next week, as he stated it was the best game he has had for us.

saintjake
Club Player

yeah, ive loved gwilt since the adelaide game.
but he frustrates ya a bit dont you reckon.
like, i beleive if he plays all the games till the end of the season, he will show some pretty nice skills.
and we will keep him.

but yeah theres something about him that im not sure of

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Gwilt did some very important things last night & was stilled bagged unmercifully by some supporters near me. When Tarrant marked uncontested in the last quarter everyone went nuts at Gwilt but he was trying to cover Mark Johnson as well & got caught in no man's land.

Mini tackled hard & showed great endeavour. Happy to see these two getting a chance & do quite well.

Personally when Raph is ready he needs to get another chance too. He needs to play on the wing & drift forward & not be the 3rd tall defender.

Sam23
SS Life Member

LYON LOVER!!!

burn the lyon lover!!!

:roll:

Goddard.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if the season ended tomorrow id say

delistings

fiora
raph
l fisher
blake

trade
kosi

retirements
r harvey
fraser

thats only 7 person list turn-over. not too bad. couple of rookies and 4 or 5 draft picks.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 21 Jun 2008 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Con, you are going to keep Fraser?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Con, you are going to keep Fraser?

forgot about him

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Wow, I actually thought Gwilt was a spectator for a large deal of the game, he would always stand still and watch the ball before he realised his man had gotten away from him, he was lucky we were against Fremantle and not a decent team or his man would have had a field day...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Gwilt thinks way too slowly, he is not a natural footballer. Couldnt believe the decision he made in the 2nd quarter when they had 2 loose players at forward 50 and he decided to try and cover the guy running toward the boundary instead of the guy standing almost directly in front of goal with a clear run in. Goddard absolutely baked him after that.