Coburg v Scorps: Discuss Here !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I was there and didn't think Dal did enough to come back (would be lucky). Milney showed enough but we are playing in the Gold Coast and he obviously doesn't travel well. All in all I would be upset to see Dal back after that game. However, I aint Ross Lyon and as a supporter need to back his judgement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
I wouldnt be writing off the opinions on here so quickly . Everyone from this Forum who went today Im sure wanted Dal to play a blinder. To a man (or woman) they said he was very quiet
Im sure the know it all Plugger66 will type his usual wise crack by your usage of the word Everyone.
I mightnt know much but I will trust my wife over someone who is washedup.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If you recall last season when Andrew Thompson got dropped to the Scorpions he had 40 possessions. No doubt he was tagged also. I was'nt at the game, but from what I read here I am disappointed in Dal Santo's effort.

Zippy
Club Player

milney044 wrote: Dal's opponent was extremely annoying and in my opinion held Dal illegally all game. Dal didn't have much impact but i'm giving him credit for not smacking his opponent in the face, he deserved another 5 frees. But it's unfortunate to note that he couldn't break a tag at this level however it must be noted that being the star he is, he would have been targeted all game and there are no ball's or lenny's out there to divide the attention.
The tagger was definitely under clear instructions to monster Dal any way he could, but he got away with it. That's actually a sign of a good tagger, being able to push the rules to the edge. I still have fond memories of Baker grappling, holding and sometimes half-nelsoning Judd without getting pinged . . .

Does anyone know who he was? Short guy with red hair, wore guernsey no. 2.

cheers,

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Washedup
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Washedup wrote:
I wouldnt be writing off the opinions on here so quickly . Everyone from this Forum who went today Im sure wanted Dal to play a blinder. To a man (or woman) they said he was very quiet
Im sure the know it all Plugger66 will type his usual wise crack by your usage of the word Everyone.
I mightnt know much but I will trust my wife over someone who is washedup.
You got that bit right

NoMore
Club Player

Went all the way out there to Coburg ( It is F*#king miles away)

Thought Milney had a real crack but Dal was poor even though he was tagged hard.

Milney did some real team things and was even trying to help Dal by putting some good blocks on.

Casey play a really good brand of footy and are a good team to watch.

Probably thought Birss was the best of the saints players with Milney and R Clarke looking good also

L Fisher looks to be finished. Really struggled

Would thing Dal is unlikely to get back in

Washedup
Club Player

NoMore wrote:Went all the way out there to Coburg ( It is F*#king miles away)

Thought Milney had a real crack but Dal was poor even though he was tagged hard.

Milney did some real team things and was even trying to help Dal by putting some good blocks on.

Probably thought Birss was the best of the saints players with Milney and R Clarke looking good also

Looks as though that list of 3 is getting larger plugger66

NoMore
Club Player

on't get into me though Plugger i absolutely love Dal. Nothing better than watching him waltz through a pack and hit roo on the chest but was lazy today

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

thanks Zippy and others

I am a big wrap for Dal and really don't know what to make of this :(, i find it hard to reconsile the Dal Santo I've seen with the one thats being described but reputable sources.

I do beileve he is a class player and a team player normally and this doesn't sound like the Dal I've been watching for the past few years.

Anyway hope to see him back in the seniors playing GOOD FOOTBALL sooner rather than later

cheers

Dan

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
NoMore wrote:Went all the way out there to Coburg ( It is F*#king miles away)

Looks as though that list of 3 is getting larger plugger66
Have I ever said he got alot of the ball. No. But please tell me what RL wanted him to do today as that will have more bearing on anything. I await your answer as I dont know what he had to do but your obviously do.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon made it clear in an interview.
He requires Dal Santo to run HARD with the ball and run HARD without the ball.

It does not take much brain power to realise that if you trott around so that your hair does not get messed up and don't want to break into a sweat then you won't break a tag.

If Dal Santo is not prepared to run HARD enough to break a tag at VFL level then he can come and play for my local kindergarten backyard leftovers.
They don't run hard either.
Last edited by ace on Sun 22 Jun 2008 7:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
NoMore
Club Player

Not sure what RL wanted him to do but from what i saw he layed one really hard tackle for the day and at one point got his hand dirty on the cricket pitch and spent 5 minutes cleaning it on the ground

Backwards Fast
Club Player

NoMore wrote:Not sure what RL wanted him to do but from what i saw he layed one really hard tackle for the day and at one point got his hand dirty on the cricket pitch and spent 5 minutes cleaning it on the ground
And some of you people want to bring this guy back in. Maybe plugger and the dud can enlighten us as to whether that was part of the RL instructions (keeping his hands clean) Sounds as though he passed with flying colours

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dal should never have been dropped in the first place, but he was, which should be the kick up the bum he needed to come back into the firsts this week

anyone who says he's not one of the best players at the club, and that we aren't a better team with him in, are clearly dillusional

we need to win next week, and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to do so, and that means Dal and Milne in the firsts

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
NoMore
Club Player

think what is more important than Dal is that at least at Casey the players are taught to play fast high scoring footy.

Also Birss was tough as nails and R Clarke looked really good. Thought he was far classier than Dal

Saints43
Club Player

NoMore wrote:think what is more important than Dal is that at least at Casey the players are taught to play fast high scoring footy.

Also Birss was tough as nails and R Clarke looked really good. Thought he was far classier than Dal
I can't believe that Birss was dropped before NDS. Before a few players.

What is the plan? Birss is a good ruuner, attacks the footy, can kick a goal, has beaten opponents
Last edited by Saints43 on Sun 22 Jun 2008 7:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Given Rix's great VFL form the last few weeks, should he come in for McEvoy for the all important Kangaroos game?

Extremely tough decision. McEvoy could be a liability if he struggles to get hitouts, but we want to "get games into him".

I think that with Ben, it's body size and strength that are his limitations so perhaps get him to work on that whilst playing VFL, and let Rix at em.
Last edited by Otiman on Sun 22 Jun 2008 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo must be brough back, we are already carrying players who just aren't up to it...I say we tell Dal to throw accountability out the window, the best defense is a good offense, if he can rack up 30 touches he will do more than enough to counter his opponent...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Zippy
Club Player

ace wrote:Ross Lyon made it clear in an interview.
He requires Dal Santo to run HARD with the ball and run HARD without the ball.
Then he probably won't be back. A lot of slow jogging up and down the centreline, not much hard running. A shame - we need him.

And Dan, I'm just as big a wrap for Dal Santo as you are. Good form or bad, I want him in the side, and for him to be dropped was very surprising to me.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
ace
Saintsational Legend

Some footballers are not too smart.

If the coach says he wants you to play with clean hands, he is actually telling you he does not want you to fumble the ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
silvertop

I was at the match and wasn't disappointed with Dal's effort. He looked like he wanted to get involved and do all the right things, but didn't have the confidence in himself to back it up. Seemed lost out there a lot of the time. Sad to see. And as for Dal cleaning the mud from his hand, he got it kicked trying to smother.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

silvertop wrote:Seemed lost out there a lot of the time. Sad to see.
Sounds like a guy that been put in a team full of guys he hasn't played with before. Perhaps there was a lack of respect from both ends there.

NoMore
Club Player

silvertop wrote:I was at the match and wasn't disappointed with Dal's effort. He looked like he wanted to get involved and do all the right things, but didn't have the confidence in himself to back it up. Seemed lost out there a lot of the time. Sad to see. And as for Dal cleaning the mud from his hand, he got it kicked trying to smother.
Your right he did look lost. He didn't know where to run or what to do. Looked like a man playing in a system he didn't know.

He should have know though because they play the way we used to. Win the contested, run hard, kick long and either mark or crumb.

By the way the time i saw him cleaning his hand was not from a smother it was just coz it was dirty. Maybe he did it twice

RH35
Club Player

hotdish wrote:Did Fergo or X play?

How did Howard do?

Edit: looking at the VFL sportingpulse results page the following played:

L Fisher
Raph
Howard
Birss
Milne
Rix
Fiora
Haretuku (first senior VFL game?)
Steven
Miles

any thoughts about the above? Interested to see how Miles looks...
ok you may want to ask the guys who weren't there because those guys seem to know better but here goes.

Howard was very good. Is coming along well. Not many tricks but clean hands and all the athletic gifts required
L Fisher is serviceable but limited. Raph is very good at this level but there is more time and less focus at Casey. Not sure he is competitive enough to make it. Birss was excellent but no speed or power. He's not going to improve from here. Milne was good but he still turned it over alarmingly 3 times for 2 goals. Rix was sensational, BOG by a mile. Fiora gets it heaps at Casey but his cards are marked. Haretuku is raw and talented but a long, long was off. Steven will be a star. Always going full speed when the ball is in his area, to tackle or win the ball. Puts on heaps of pressure, reads it well and has good vision. Miles is a big athletic talent and played well on Pettifer and then loose back. He is only 185cm which is his biggest problem.

NoMore
Club Player

RH35 wrote:
hotdish wrote:Did Fergo or X play?

How did Howard do?

Edit: looking at the VFL sportingpulse results page the following played:

L Fisher
Raph
Howard
Birss
Milne
Rix
Fiora
Haretuku (first senior VFL game?)
Steven
Miles

any thoughts about the above? Interested to see how Miles looks...
ok you may want to ask the guys who weren't there because those guys seem to know better but here goes.

Howard was very good. Is coming along well. Not many tricks but clean hands and all the athletic gifts required
L Fisher is serviceable but limited. Raph is very good at this level but there is more time and less focus at Casey. Not sure he is competitive enough to make it. Birss was excellent but no speed or power. He's not going to improve from here. Milne was good but he still turned it over alarmingly 3 times for 2 goals. Rix was sensational, BOG by a mile. Fiora gets it heaps at Casey but his cards are marked. Haretuku is raw and talented but a long, long was off. Steven will be a star. Always going full speed when the ball is in his area, to tackle or win the ball. Puts on heaps of pressure, reads it well and has good vision. Miles is a big athletic talent and played well on Pettifer and then loose back. He is only 185cm which is his biggest problem.
Thought Haretuku did a couple of really good things and looked like he is going to be a player. Its been a while since i have watched The Case so i'm not sure about a few of the players.

Takes you a while to get used to the srtupid high numbers.

Also think that they use R Clarke much better at this level which is a reason he does a little better. Needs to be eased into AFL a bit. Not given a big forward every week.

Agree on Rix. Copped a heavey hit where he looked dazed but soldiered on to be BOG. And kicked 2 or 3 aswell. Not sure but i think he basically rucked all game