CJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CJ

Another good game. Worked his but off...gained lots of ball and laid 5tackles.

Also unlike some....played all 4 quarters.

Also his disposal tonight while not perfect was far far more effective than say Luke Ball's.

CJ EASILY gets the most improved player award so far this year....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes he played very well at HF.

Has a spot atm, and will keep it...

gooner
Club Player

Yet he still has an almost uncanny ability to kick the ball straight up in the air 35m so that it lands 2m from where he kicked it.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Shaggy
Club Player

Despite faults CJ has more than earned his spot in the team.

He will be long term in our team.

Lets hope he gets a premiership along the way :D .

battye
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:Yet he still has an almost uncanny ability to kick the ball straight up in the air 35m so that it lands 2m from where he kicked it.
That was funny. But his disposal has improved. Hit someone on the chest inside 50 at one point if I recall, fantastic kick.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Hard at it
Club Player

Re: CJ

saintsRrising wrote:Another good game. Worked his but off...gained lots of ball and laid 5tackles.

Also unlike some....played all 4 quarters.

Also his disposal tonight while not perfect was far far more effective than say Luke Ball's.

CJ EASILY gets the most improved player award so far this year....
It will be killing MSG, but dont expect him to ever admit he may have been wrong. He will still have him as one of the few that need to be dropped for the Carlton game in 2 weeks

Huzzad
Club Player

Actually been supporting CJ since last season and proud to see him do well. Watched him very closely last few weeks and he has really hit his targets lately. Havn't seen him miss too many at all lately. Kicking with much more poise and accuracy now. No less than anyone else on the field I should think.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
saint-stu
Club Player

Big fan of Jonesy. I love his enthusiasm and effort.

His fierce tackling reminds me of Sammy Hamill.

I agree his disposal is improving this year which is great to see.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hard at it wrote:It will be killing MSG, but dont expect him to ever admit he may have been wrong. He will still have him as one of the few that need to be dropped for the Carlton game in 2 weeks
He has improved a lot since last season and is probably deserving of a spot in our team right now (which is no great achievement). I'm not denying that. He's got a good tank and works hard to run into space to receive the ball. And yes, he did kick one very good pass to Kosi in the first quarter.

But I just don't see how he could be a contributor to a premiership side. He has too many weaknesses to hold a spot in a team that can have full confidence to run forward and believe that their team mates will win a contest/dispose correctly like Brisbane of 01-03 and Geelong of recent times. When he gets the ball in a contested situation he simply fires out a panic handball to no one and when he takes a mark he has to stop and wait for a team mate to run into space.

He's kicking has been bit like Rix's ruck work over the past couple of years, in that one simple good thing that is expected of any AFL player is praised to ridiculous proportions. When Rix had an effective hitout, the blind optimism gang would come on here and talk about how much he's improving and that he has a crack, so he's going to play 100 games. Jones manages a couple of decent kicks per game and he's playing great footy.

However he's not alone at the moment in regards to wasting the ball. Ball, Eddy, Gilbert and Blake are all kicking horribly at the moment.

Huzzad
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
Hard at it wrote:It will be killing MSG, but dont expect him to ever admit he may have been wrong. He will still have him as one of the few that need to be dropped for the Carlton game in 2 weeks
He has improved a lot since last season and is probably deserving of a spot in our team right now (which is no great achievement). I'm not denying that. He's got a good tank and works hard to run into space to receive the ball. And yes, he did kick one very good pass to Kosi in the first quarter.

But I just don't see how he could be a contributor to a premiership side. He has too many weaknesses to hold a spot in a team that can have full confidence to run forward and believe that their team mates will win a contest/dispose correctly like Brisbane of 01-03 and Geelong of recent times. When he gets the ball in a contested situation he simply fires out a panic handball to no one and when he takes a mark he has to stop and wait for a team mate to run into space.

He's kicking has been bit like Rix's ruck work over the past couple of years, in that one simple good thing that is expected of any AFL player is praised to ridiculous proportions. When Rix had an effective hitout, the blind optimism gang would come on here and talk about how much he's improving and that he has a crack, so he's going to play 100 games. Jones manages a couple of decent kicks per game and he's playing great footy.

However he's not alone at the moment in regards to wasting the ball. Ball, Eddy, Gilbert and Blake are all kicking horribly at the moment.
Sorry MSG have to disagree with you there. While he is not perfect, he has done well this year. I've been at a couple of games this year and watched him play at the ground and his kicking has been spot on. One or two wayward, but never a major hiccup. Sure he has not been great, but in the times I have seen him he has done very well. I'd hate to be holed as a member of the blind optimism gang, but credit where it is due. CJ has earned a spot on the team and his improvement continues to grow. Considering it is only his 2nd year in AFL, I am sure he still has areas which will be addressed. But I am quite content with him as a player right now and RL was right to have faith in him. I would not call him the next Harvey, nor next Luke Ball for the matter, but he has been playing well and have complete faith in his accuracy.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Beekay
SS Life Member

Some people are forgetting that he is only in his second season of AFL football.

Give the lad a break. Not many second year players are even getting a game.

He has a lot of improvement and as soon as he can adjust to the pace and pressure of AFL football (which doesn't happen over night FFS!), he will start to play better football.

Just like most second year players!!!!!!!!!

midas_touch
Club Player

CJ is definitely our most improved player of the year. You have to admire his tireless work rate, plus he adds some pace to the side. His kicking has also improved, and knows where to find and get the ball. Should be a 100+ game player.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

he has improved from last year, but he is 24 or so.

he was terrible last year.

this year he's better.

perhaps an andrew thompson late developer?

good one if he turns out.

I am still not convinced he's in our best 22, but who knows :)

GL CJ, from one of your biggest critics

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I doubted him a bit last year but now I think he's earnt his spot.
Well done CJ.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:perhaps an andrew thompson late developer?
I definitely see some similarities between CJ and Thommo, and not just coming into the game as a mature recruit. The way CJ attacks the ball, and applies pressure is very similar to the way Thommo used to play.

NoMore
Club Player

He may try hard, but lets be honest he can't kick at top speed he has no left foot and his disposal on hir right fot is less than average. Did anyone listen to Brian Taylor on Triple M.

Catagorised CJ as Lucky to have played.

And i agree. Although may be in our team with injuries

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:And i agree. Although may be in our team with injuries
Could be dropped for X, but that would be extremely unlucky for him, especially if X doesn't show top form at Casey first.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

From his 9 games he has played this year he is averaging:

17.3 - Disposals Per Game
8.7 - Kicks Per Game
8.7 - Handballs Per Game
3.0 - Tackles Per Game

He has definitely improved from last year and is now becoming more consistent.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Could be dropped for X, but that would be extremely unlucky for him, especially if X doesn't show top form at Casey first.
No way known he will be dropped at present - despite what tha fat bufoon Taylor thinks.

He gives us that rare commodity in our side - RUN AND CARRY and an ability to break lines. Id like to see him AND x in the side......I think that settles the "slow" theory.

Id leave out Mqualter for X long before Jones.

“Yeah….nah””
rexy
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
Spot on though, has Xs spot at the moment and X should be made to earn it back IMO. Kicking of Jones under preassure is ordinary but he gets it and gets it going forward. Prefer him to Schneider at the moment and Schneider is much more skilled.

Maybe this year?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Id leave out Mqualter for X long before Jones.
True, but what about Hayes, Baker, Schneider, X? It's hard to piece together a 22 at the moment. We have youth performing well, and experience coming back from injury - how do you assess the risk and rewards?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Teflon wrote:Id leave out Mqualter for X long before Jones.
True, but what about Hayes, Baker, Schneider, X? It's hard to piece together a 22 at the moment. We have youth performing well, and experience coming back from injury - how do you assess the risk and rewards?
Based on what weve seen so far this year and our need to go forward over the next few years Id assess like this:

Baker - IMO struggled prior to injury. Looks to have lost a yard. Doesnt win enough of his own ball yet could no longer stop a Judd/Ablett (which was his strength). In my view hes worth a shot up fwd for some much needed fwd pressure.........but regardless he needs to come back via 2's.

Scheider - has upside is 23 BUT has disapointed with his accountability, attack on the footy for mine. Comes back via 2's.

Hayes - see you as soon as youd like.

X - Adds so much run to our side is very important but again his seconbd injury set back and hes been out for a while....so 2's for him.

To be honest Id prolly only make a couple of changes.

Mqualter out - Birrs In(can run with AND kick a goal)
C Gardiner out - Hayes in.

Not sure what to do about M Gardiner.

“Yeah….nah””