not to taint the victory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

not to taint the victory

we have won four in a row...currently 7th...thats it

enjoy the win but perspective please

still 7th

you aint gonna win a flag in 7th

f****** good win though

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Probably not but you've got a huge chance from 4th and that is where I am predicting we will finish. We will go undefeated into the finals now. :D

Milne
Club Player

Adelaide won it from 6th in '97

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Dare to dream.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:Adelaide won it from 6th in '97
5th !!

Batnoe

Lets hope Carlton and Power win!!

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Lets hope Carlton and Power win!!
Every chance of that happening, Swans have been a bit average of late and nearly last chance for the Blues......the Crows are going backwards with a couple of stars out now... crap weather over here in Radelaide today, so it should be an even tussle for Port's 'grand final' lol

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
Goody
Club Player

With no interstate sides in the finals, (maybe Sydney) I reckon you could jag a premiership from as far back as 6th.
If you dont have to travel and only play MCG, Dome or the Cattery :x your chances are heaps better.
If you go in with no injuries and at full steam ahead I dont care where we finish, this year its good to be Victorian :D

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
casey scorp
Club Player

Goody wrote:With no interstate sides in the finals, (maybe Sydney) I reckon you could jag a premiership from as far back as 6th.
If you dont have to travel and only play MCG, Dome or the Cattery :x your chances are heaps better.
If you go in with no injuries and at full steam ahead I dont care where we finish, this year its good to be Victorian :D
Surely there would be no finals matches played at 30,000 capacity Skilled Stadium (at least against a Vic team).

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
5th !!
4th actually.
5th in 98.
West Coast 4th in 92 as well.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: not to taint the victory

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we have won four in a row...currently 7th...thats it

enjoy the win but perspective please

still 7th

f****** good win though
Exactly, won of my proudest nights as a saints supporter but we still have a long ways to go, hopefully this instills the belief into the players that can carry us in good steed for the rest of the season, we know that at our best we can beat anyone, maybe now the players will believe it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

No Darren Jarman won it from 5th!!!

Haha

mick13
Club Player

Zomg, cmon Carlton.

Theis would have to be the most amazing round ever, now we just need port to win their Grand Final and jeebus...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: not to taint the victory

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we have won four in a row...currently 7th...thats it...

Why not? 5th to 8th, makes no difference to the number of finals games you have to play (provided you win, of course). Anywhere in the top 8 will do me, 4th best though.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We had to win one of the Hawthorn or Collingwood games.

EVERY other game we have for the run home we SHOULD....SHOULD win.

If we beat the filth, we will most likely finish fourth or fifth.

I dont know about you, but we are running into some pretty decent form at the right time of year.

Just keep winning.

If I told any of you we would finish that high at the start of the year you would have taken it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
5th !!
We need to finish top 4 IMO. No side has won it from 5th under the current format so we need to win 5 if not 6 games especially with Sydney winning today. If we are to lose won it cannot be against the pies.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Most premiers go through finals with out a loss - if we can do that 4, 5, 6 doesn't matter - all games will be in melbourne (barring possible sydney clash). This year any vic team can win from 6th barring one massive hurdle -geelong!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Most premiers go through finals with out a loss - if we can do that 4, 5, 6 doesn't matter - all games will be in melbourne (barring possible sydney clash). This year any vic team can win from 6th barring one massive hurdle -geelong!
Has any side ever won 4 finals. I am not sure but it sounds very hard to me. Better to at least have a double chance so you can either lose one or only play 3. I dont believe you can win 4 in a row against the best so we need top 4.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

well according to kurt vonnegut only two teams - crows in 98 and the saints in 2008!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:well according to kurt vonnegut only two teams - crows in 98 and the saints in 2008!
Didnt the crows lose by 10 goals to Melbourne in 1998?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

its much more fun driving home listening to positive feedback on the radio instead of the usual 'where to now for the saints'.

much of the start of the season was 'where has the form gone', 'struggling' 'look they have no confidence', 'the window is closing', and 'time to rebuild'

its pretty hard to keep positive through that.

last few weeks we've knocked of a few teams around our place in the ladder, and the comments were basically echoed here 'yeah so we beat carlton, they have a psychological problem with us', yep st kilda will be pushing for a position in the 8, but they aren't real contenders, its a good fillip for the coach and the fans, but they'll be out in the first week'.

now we played one of the most scintillating quarters of the year, and one of the most dominant halves of the year (along with our first quarter against the dogs)

teams now know that once you head st kilda, they won't give up.

teams now konw st kilda is as fit as any side in the competition (lets face it, even folks who enjoyed our run between 04-06, knew that we were fast out of the blocks, but weren't anywhere near as fit as we should be especially after hte crushing in 05)

i must admit, along wiht many others, that midway through the season, i was expecting another depressing run of chippilotto, and low scoring losses with the occassional thrashing, and wins against the rubbish sides.

Im enjoying winning.

who knows about premierships, but at least its more pleasant than the sick gut fealing of wasting a day in the city watching your team get schooled again.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
marksnsparks
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
teams now konw st kilda is as fit as any side in the competition (lets face it, even folks who enjoyed our run between 04-06, knew that we were fast out of the blocks, but weren't anywhere near as fit as we should be especially after hte crushing in 05)
Totally agree Dan, I sat there last night thinking I've never seen a St Kilda team so fit. When you think about the relatively low injury count (touch wood! :shock: ) as well, if we do win a flag it will be Dave Mission as much as anyone who got us there. What a difference he's made!

Back to the thread though, I don't proscribe to the "can't win the flag from out of the top 4 theory". If Sydney taught us anything, it's all about timing your run. An we are massive improvers at a time when some of the top 8 are falling away (Dogs, Hawks, Adelaide, Sydney, Pies up and down, Brisvegas cant play away from Gabba). Of course there are a lot of "if's" before we get there:

if we continue to improve
if we continue to not get injuries
if we continue to gain confidence
if we continue to attack!

but who the hell knows eh?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

9 more wins.

That's all it takes , 9 more wins.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:well according to kurt vonnegut only two teams - crows in 98 and the saints in 2008!
Didnt the crows lose by 10 goals to Melbourne in 1998?
yes they did.

They finished 5th but ended up having a double chance due to that stupid final 8 system prior to the current one.

I'd be rapt if we made the Prelims.

Whilst we got a Geelong-like possessions count on Saturday, we are still well off them, but possibly as good as any other team in the league at the moment.

I just hope we get to play our first final (if we make it!) in Melbourne, and second one in Melbourne if we win.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bloody kurt - on drugs again :oops: