Replacement for Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Replacement for Kosi

As it seems Kosi will take the one week rap for hitting that brown and gold prima donna, who should come in in his place.

Do we bring in McEvoy, essentailly doing Kosi's job at the Scorpions ruckman forward, good picture of him in the Herald SUn this morning taking a good mark.

Or do we bring in M Gardiner taking into account the play against old team incentive.

It has to be one of these two.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Replacement for Kosi

i'm not sure mcevoy's there yet, but plugger or someone else who watches the scorpians would have a better idea.

i'd bring in gardiner as ruck/forward and give bj a run at ff. otherwise we run the risk of having only riewoldt as a forward marking option.

esaint66
SS Life Member

I would bring in Ferguson or C. Gardiner, a shorter foward but can still take marks and have a bit of run.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think MG is a good replacement for Kosi as Kosi doesnt really ruck and MG is no good at all up forward. Even though we dont need 3 talls forward I think we need 2 so Allen may be given a shot or even Ferg or Charlie but I dont think any of them did much on Sunday. So my answer to who should replace him is left in RL hands. He is better form than me.

Raven
Club Player

You'd think the obvious option would be M. Gardiner as a second ruck option and another tall around the ground. I wouldn't particularly like to see McEvoy up against the likes of Cox in the ruck so I'd say he most likely won't be the one.

Personally I think it should be someone who can replace Kosi in kicking goals if need be. Blake was great in the ruck on Saturday so they might just stick with him as a ruck backup and bring in another forward like Charlie or Allen to give our mids another target besides Riewoldt.

But, it's all based on form in the Scorps really, which admittedly I'm not up to speed on.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm prepared to be howled down but just for this game C. Gardiner could be the choice.

Reasons being..

The vast expanse of Subi requires us to have fast players with a decent engine. Not slower players such as MG.

Glass is out which means their height in defense is comprimised and we can get away with a running marking forward like C. Gardiner who would relish space.

King played great on Saturday night and Blake is pumped,has a big engine and could run with Cox for periods. He actually might make him accountable.

Batnoe

Would love to see Fergy get another go... This could may well be his last year as his age is older than the other guys. so if his body is fit give him a run, he has shown promise but we cant have another player that only plays 2 games a season on the list even though he is capable

Give him a run!

gooner
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Would love to see Fergy get another go... This could may well be his last year as his age is older than the other guys. so if his body is fit give him a run, he has shown promise but we cant have another player that only plays 2 games a season on the list even though he is capable

Give him a run!
Totally agree. I really think he is up to it. He is a strong mark and deserves another chance.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The fact we are struggling to come up with a viable option to replace Kosi shows how bare the cupboard is in certain positions,i'm sure that will be looked at come Trade/Draft time.......

I'm not sure about Allen yet,fair enough he needs time at AFL level but he doesn't really do enough at VFL level either,i hope he starts showing something next year,whatever level they play him at.......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Gardiner's workrate impressed me - he leads hard, he runs hard, he can take the heat of Riewoldt and as we saw against Sydney, he can prove quite the focal point if needbe.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see M Gardiner get a run just so we could hear the WC supporters boo him like he left them and not the other way round.

Apart from that I am with everton and think C.Gardiner should get a run. I like his endevour and think he can add something to the forward line. And who knows the morons in the west may see the name Gardiner and boo him anyhow :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Perfect opportunity to bring M. Gardiner in against his old mob.

Can use Sam Fisher, BJ, or Blake up forward, as we will match up well on their forwards.

Don't see anyone coming into the side other than M. Gardiner, Geary and Birss. And I can't see who would come out of the side for Geary or Birss.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Birss maybe to provide abit more run across HF, otherwise id love to see Gardiner, M named on Thursday.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Has Michael Gardiner played against his old club yet? Did he play last year over there when we won Harvey's 350th?

rexy
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Has Michael Gardiner played against his old club yet? Did he play last year over there when we won Harvey's 350th?
Didnt think he played at all last year? I would seriously consider resting King, IMO we cant afford him to get injured from all the running required A-at Subi and B-playing on Cox. I would bring in Gardiner and McEvoy for Kosi and King. Play McEvoy in the goal square and set him a target for tackles and forward preassure. I would start Blake in the ruck on cox and ruck Gardiner against there second ruck. We should then A-blunt Coxs influence around the ground, B-win the ruck when they have the second stringer in, C-have a better understanding of McEvoys potential and D-have options if this whole plan goes pear shaped.

Another option could be to rotate the ruckman through FF so for Eg. Gardiner is in the ruck against Cox, Blake is in the centre to tag Cox and BJ starts loose on the back line. After the bounce Gardiner runs forward, Blake takes over in the ruck around the ground and BJ comes into the middle?

Maybe this year?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There are lots of options (now not as good as Kosi, but if Dal was out suspended would you expect to get an equal replacement??) :

* McEvoy... a similar type to Kosi. Not quite ready,,,,but a game coud be good for him. I think Cox would slaughter him in the ruck though.

* Allen..more mobile than Ben.

* Charlie....has performed adequately this year.. more mobile but not as good a mark. Still on the wide open spaces out west he could go ok. If glass plays he should take him and try and run him ragged to exploit his injury.

Justin Koschitzke and Charlie Gardiner Stats this year

111 Career Games 59

197cm Height 190cm
98kg Weight 90kg
14 2008 Games 8
7.1 Kicks Per Game 8.0
3.8 Handballs Per Game 4.0
10.9 Disposals Per Game 12.0
6.3 Marks Per Game 5.0
1.7 Goals Per Game 0.9
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0.2
2.2 Tackles Per Game 2.0
5.9 Hitouts Per Game 0
1.9 Inside 50s Per Game 1.9
0.7 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
2.4 Goals Contributed Per Game 1.1
0.8 Frees For Per Game 1.1
1.4 Frees Against Per Game 0.6

* Move BJ to the forward line

* Play Gardi there (my least favoured option...but maybe an option to have King and Gardi push forwarda lot when rucking).

* Ferg

If Kosi had not been suspebded I would have expected only the one change. kosi being out could mean that say Gardi and Charlie/allen come in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

A Gardiner will come in.

I would think of the Michael variety rather than the Charlie one.

We need the ruck options against Cox.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I would think if fit Gardi will come in for Kosi and wouldn't be surprised if Chuck or Woody come in for Fiona.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Seems a lot on the WC boards think that Cox will miss with a foot injury and Seaby will be the main ruck for the day ...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see Ferg get another chance as a forward. He played one decent game (which could've been a great game if he kicked straight) up forward and was then moved back into defence where he always struggled.

That said, I think it's time to bring Gards back and we're struggling for players to drop. Fiora is the easy target, but he was ok on Saturday and he is well suited to Subi. Kosi and Fiora out for Gardiner and Ferguson takes away a bit of mobility.

Will have to just wait and see.

Viking3
Club Player

My option, for what it's worth.
Bring in both M. Gardiner and McEvoy. Drop Fiora.
Play Gardiner in ruck with King and McEvoy as the marking forward. He's tall and takes a good grab. Not the best defence in the world and Glass apparently to miss.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Viking3 wrote:My option, for what it's worth.
Play Gardiner in ruck with King and McEvoy as the marking forward. He's tall and takes a good grab. Not the best defence in the world and Glass apparently to miss.
agree with this...

whilst subi is a bigger ground, and we need the run, there are now alot of players we can rotate through the guts, and we can afford to go in big and test WC's depleted backline..

I'd play BigMac forward and take the forward 50 ruck contests, with Gards and King alternating around the ground..

Would not, under any circumstances bring in Charlie Gardiner... McEvoy as a permanant forward has far more upside..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Viking3 wrote:My option, for what it's worth.
agree with this...

whilst subi is a bigger ground, and we need the run, there are now alot of players we can rotate through the guts, and we can afford to go in big and test WC's depleted backline..

I'd play BigMac forward and take the forward 50 ruck contests, with Gards and King alternating around the ground..

Would not, under any circumstances bring in Charlie Gardiner... McEvoy as a permanant forward has far more upside..
Did you go to the Scorps game against Willy. He was terible in the ruck and up forward. Ddint do a great deal again last week so doubt he could do any better in a higher grade of footy. Also the last thing we need is 2 slow players in. MG will probably play but I doubt McEvoy is any chance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

M Gardner in surely.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

the Couch said,
that he may not be ready with his injury