Time for a few home truths

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Time for a few home truths

Anyway you look at it we are a disappointing side with only a very small hope of improvement next year.

Our younger players at the moment and understand they are young are average at best compared to other improving sides like Carlton.

One of our best players this year is retiring and we may have the most overated big man in the AFL in Kosi.

This is obviously a negative post but it is time we took off our rose coloured glasses and look where we are at.

We have many average players such as Geary, Eddy, Gwilt, Fiora, Gilbert and one or two others. Yes we beat the Hawks but since then when we had a chance our form has been disgusting. No other way to put it.

Big decisions next season. Kosi must at least be looked at as a trade and even though I love Dal he must also be lookedf at and from what I understand is very unhappy at the moment due to that dropping.

Yes we will bag the club tonight and then by Thursday think we can beat Freo but lets face it we cannot beat them next week and may struggle to even win another game. I feel sick with tonights performance.

Something For Kate
Club Player

Yeah but we're still in the eight. You're so mean. THe boys are trying their hardest. They were just really sad banger was retiring.

Jesus - Protect me from Your followers ....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Something For Kate wrote:Yeah but we're still in the eight. You're so mean. THe boys are trying their hardest. They were just really sad banger was retiring.
How exciting.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Plugger66 you have exactly summed up my feelings right now .

I am peeved.

I am shattered.

I have had enough.

Saints you need to lift your performance. Most of you are paid are shed load to perform week in week out.....not when it suits.

I am more than just disappointed. Sir Robert tried and tried....very few others did.

Is this where we are at?

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
matrix
Saintsational Legend

how the hell does a troll get to 113 posts?

we might get over the line for harvs last game....if we are lucky
im quite disappointed in not beating a undermanned pies side

Batnoe

i agree Plugger

i dotn care if our team is trying, we have had 4th to take and we havent, it seems as though we dont want it

Cain Ackland or Tim Elliott would show more heart than we have shown

i agree, both Kosi and Dal should be looked at for trade, get some players that want to play for the club

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Matrix, it's so common for a side with its back against the wall to get up and win.

Why is it always the week we play them.

I know we should be able to beat Collingwood anyway, but adversity is a great motivator.

2009 was agony,
Saintschampions08
Club Player

7 Players with < 10 disposals.

3 of them are meant to be our 'young guns'.

Something For Kate
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:how the hell does a troll get to 113 posts?

we might get over the line for harvs last game....if we are lucky
im quite disappointed in not beating a undermanned pies side
I've been on here for 3 years muppet. How about you. I hurt too. I just know that sometimes things just don't go your way. If we can win one more final for Harvs and they include that on the testimonial DVD for him I'll be happy. It's just not our year this year.

Jesus - Protect me from Your followers ....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Something For Kate wrote:Yeah but we're still in the eight. You're so mean. THe boys are trying their hardest. They were just really sad banger was retiring.
i mean.....come on.
they are emotionally soft?....that's why they lost...because they are all sad?

good god
it was staring me in the face

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Aweful...I've just seen a worse loss than the '97 GF.

It's like watching a murderer get off, because the star witness didn't have the balls to put their statement forward. WHEN ARE WE GONNA GROW SOME BALLS. One and a half quarters of effort ain't enough, we made an ordinary side look fantastic, played them into form (as per usual), then let them walk all over us.

Puss.

We're gonna get the flogging of a lifetime next week (which was why this win was so important), 50/50 against Adelaide, probably the same against the Dons. I'm made as hell I'm gonna have to pick which opposition team to back during the finals, and the disgusting thing is that it'll probably be the Blues!!!

Now I've vented that, glad Gwilt and Schnieds stood up tonight, and BJ is back to his best, but far to many passengers...sickened me to see smug Filth players going nuts singing their song.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Now I've vented that, glad Gwilt and Schnieds stood up tonight, and BJ is back to his best, but far to many passengers...sickened me to see smug Filth players going nuts singing their song.
Gwilt?!?!

got towelled up by a first gamer and had about 3-4 goals kicked on him in the first half alone!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
On the Bench
Club Player

The 15's side that I couch seem to have more heart, not a great spread of talent, but at least all 20 of them try.

2009 was agony,
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
degruch wrote:Now I've vented that, glad Gwilt and Schnieds stood up tonight, and BJ is back to his best, but far to many passengers...sickened me to see smug Filth players going nuts singing their song.
Gwilt?!?!

got towelled up by a first gamer and had about 3-4 goals kicked on him in the first half alone!
Got plenty of the ball and his disposal was vastly improved. At least he was an improvement...how many players did you see improve tonight???

Saintschampions08
Club Player

degruch wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Gwilt?!?!

Got plenty of the ball and his disposal was vastly improved. At least he was an improvement...how many players did you see improve tonight???
Yeah he improved.

On a scale of 100, he went from about 10 to 12. :roll:

kaos theory
Club Player

We have developed almost NOTHING out of young players over last 5 years of football.

From 2004 we thought we were close to a flag, and since then we have gradually slipped beind everyone else, incementally, each year....

The rot set in for the development of young talent, when our top draft picks dried up....which was back in 2004.

- We didn't use rookies for 3 years,
- we had poor program to spot/find talent, and
- we had a poor program for developing players.

Its got better over the last 1.5 yrs, but needs to improve further still.

We are now seeing the sad realization of 4 to 5 years of poor efforts...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
degruch wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Gwilt?!?!

Yeah he improved.

On a scale of 100, he went from about 10 to 12. :roll:
Glad you agree.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Got plenty of the ball and his disposal was vastly improved. At least he was an improvement...how many players did you see improve tonight???
His second half was ok (particularly at HF), but in the first half his direct opponent must have taken at least 8 marks. Was left behind time after time on leads and made no contest when he did keep up.

strauchanie
Club Player

i agree plugger, the question is, what can the club do? we'll probably be stuck in this position for a few years due to the new teams coming in :( :(

bigred
Saintsational Legend

very small hope of improvement next year.
Dont know where you came to that conclusion.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintschampions08
Club Player

bigred wrote:
Based on this years form, it's hard not to improve...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
bigred wrote:
Based on this years form, it's hard not to improve...
1999 to 2000...it can get a lot worse. Gulp.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Who is coming though to improve and we also lose one of our best players. Tell me why we will improve?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

tell me why we wont?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
backit
Club Player

I have said it before and I will say it again we are not a team moving forward we are going backwards at a great rate of knots and do not look like moving in a forward direction with what we have overall.

People have been saying we need a Geelong type review, yes we do but we need it to start at the top with the coach and his panel. At the moment the players do not play to his plan or lack of plan because what he has tried to instil in our players is negativity not a positive game plan which allows attacking, free flowing take risks, play on style that Geelong has and does with success.

I watched our players be second to the ball tonite against a team that by all accounts we should have given a lesson to.

We have no mental or physical toughness. We`are prepared to come second in all contests at the moment and it is only something that has started under the stewardship of Ross Lyon and his assistants.

We don't need to have a player clean out per say, we will have changes through retirements, fringe players not likely to stay on (ie Ferguson, L Fisher, Howard, Fiora, Rix etc) so we will have possibly 8-10 vacancies on our list.

If the club cannot see that we need to look at the football department closely then we will be again amongst the also rans next year and for a few years after.

Remember Geelong were in our position, made minimal changes to their list, got some hardness, some second string players stepped up, drafted a good youngster (Selwood) and now look where they are at. We can replicate it if the club is serious. (I Don't like to compare us to Geelong but they are the yardstick that we need to measure up to and take over from).

Whether you think I am right or wrong, where we are at the moment is not where I want us at and I am sure 30,000 other members don't or there will be a lot less members next year.