LYON is the dumbest and least inspiring coach in AFL….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

From my observations Gwilt would have scored highly as a player with a stack of touches tonight (Anyone got the stats??) If true, THAT is alarming!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:How many times have i heard some fans declare we were going backwards in 2006 - it's a very simplistic statement based on no real investigation of the year as it unfolded.

Shocking injuries
11 six day breaks
7 interstate games
afl rule change costs us 2 points
we missed top 4 by %
then to top it off - away to brisbane rnd 22 and 6 days later playing a final where we lost our whole bench to injury and still led at 3/4 time.

The boys played with great strength and pride in 2006 - then the team were shattered by GT sacking and i don't think many of them have been the same (playing wise) since!

No GT v RL debate needed - it's irrelevant - but don't warp history to support a point.
Dude, the OP brought up GT and how wonderful life was back then.

We had worse injuries last year. Bottom line was we had a crack with the team we had. We missed out, and now other teams are moving past us at a rapid rate. Now, we are paying the price IMHO.

The Brooks and Watts trades will haunt us for years to come...

If u want to compare, look back at who we beat and where they were at relative to today... Tiges, Blues, Hawks, Dogs, Bombers... All crap back then. Different comp these days.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I'll also take issue with"the players lost heart when they sacked GT" line.

How come players like Harves and Lenny continue to deliver despite who's coaching? Even Roo, who is close to GT is a pro and keeps performing.

Seriously, if some players are sooking after 2 years, then they should have the balls to stick their hands up and ask to be traded, not suck their fat paypackets out of the club FFS.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
lefty
Club Player

The sooner Ross Lyon is gone the better we will be. Been saying it for a while now, in a way, wish we lost against Hawks.

He talks about its "all about the young kids".
Well, Ross... Geary, Eddy, McQualter

These guys are simply not good enough.

When you could be playing...
Birrs, Armatige, Leigh Fisher, X Clarke, Charlie Gardiner, Baker

Its been an on-going battle since 07. The gamestyle does NOT work, its been 2 years on un-inspiring crap. Stop/start kicking chips down the wing, and when we go forward, its ONLY to Roo. If he gets injured, the team is totally stuffed, you cant rely on one player Ross :roll:

Then when its a turn over, its everyone flood back. When we get a turn over, we look up and do not know where to kick to. When this happens, this is where the mistakes/turn overs are occuring, because the players have no idea what to do. Its impossible for a forward to flood down the ground, then sprint up the ground and kick goals. Hence the 3 goals in a half of football.

Ross took over a prime team, was suppose to deliver a flag, I dont think so. Whilst some hated GT, he actually made us real contenders in the 04-06 years, not pretenders like we are now. Ross has a better list than GT had, and the players actually have alot of games/experience under their belt, yet Ross has managed to make us ultra craptacular.

Grant was right, whats the point of a big ruckman if hes not mobile? King not only tapped it to the opposition so many times, he didnt even make a contribution around the ground. Blake did alot more than King had done all night in his short time in the middle and offered alot more.

We simply do not deserve to finish top 8, we would not even get anywhere.

Ross can deny whatever he wants, but the facts are all there. You can see the players do not "feel" like playing to win, nor for each other. Theres no spirit in them, they dont believe in themselves nor their coach, this is where GT was different. He consistantly talked about metal strength/toughness. Loosing him was like taking away the glue that holds it together, but some expects (R.Walls) think it was necessary, we made the wrong choice, geelong didnt, now look at them. Thanks Butters.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

lefty wrote:The sooner Ross Lyon is gone the better we will be. Been saying it for a while now, in a way, wish we lost against Hawks.

Its been an on-going battle since 07. The gamestyle does NOT work, its been 2 years on un-inspiring crap. Stop/start kicking chips down the wing, and when we go forward, its ONLY to Roo. If he gets injured, the team is totally stuffed, you cant rely on one player Ross :roll:

Then when its a turn over, its everyone flood back. When we get a turn over, we look up and do not know where to kick to. When this happens, this is where the mistakes/turn overs are occuring, because the players have no idea what to do. Its impossible for a forward to flood down the ground, then sprint up the ground and kick goals. Hence the 3 goals in a half of football.

Ross took over a prime team, was suppose to deliver a flag, I dont think so. Whilst some hated GT, he actually made us real contenders in the 04-06 years, not pretenders like we are now. Ross has a better list than GT had, and the players actually have alot of games/experience under their belt, yet Ross has managed to make us ultra craptacular.

Grant was right, whats the point of a big ruckman if hes not mobile? King not only tapped it to the opposition so many times, he didnt even make a contribution around the ground. Blake did alot more than King had done all night in his short time in the middle and offered alot more.

Ross can deny whatever he wants, but the facts are all there. You can see the players do not "feel" like playing to win, nor for each other. Theres no spirit in them, they dont believe in themselves nor their coach, this is where GT was different. He consistantly talked about metal strength/toughness. Loosing him was like taking away the glue that holds it together, but some expects (R.Walls) think it was necessary, we made the wrong choice, geelong didnt, now look at them. Thanks Butters.
X and Bakes not fit :roll:

Leigh Fisher average player

Armo and Charlie not up to AFL level. :roll:

Better list? Let me see now...

Gtrain - gawn
Harvey - gawn
Lenny - older
Powell - gawn
Peckett - gawn
Thommo - gawn
Aussie - gawn
Hammill - gawn
Goose -injured
Black - gawn
Voss - gawn

Now tell me how we have replaced that talent, and how RL inherited a better team? Then I'll take you seriously. :roll:

Batnoe

WayneJudson42 wrote:
lefty wrote:The sooner Ross Lyon is gone the better we will be. Been saying it for a while now, in a way, wish we lost against Hawks.

X and Bakes not fit :roll:

Leigh Fisher average player

Armo and Charlie not up to AFL level. :roll:

Better list? Let me see now...

Gtrain - gawn
Harvey - gawn
Lenny - older
Powell - gawn
Peckett - gawn
Thommo - gawn
Aussie - gawn
Hammill - gawn
Goose -injured
Black - gawn
Voss - gawn

Now tell me how we have replaced that talent, and how RL inherited a better team? Then I'll take you seriously. :roll:
agree, If GT actually wanted Rookie players we could have a lot more depth ready for AFL footy...

Foley, Cox, Davey- all players off rookie list in the same time GT didnt believe in rookie list!

At least Ross is playing the rookies, if it means they are better than the kids in the draft then we are drafting the wrong players

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Apparently, we couldn't afford them due to his paycheck and overseas trips :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Im pretty sure that GT had rookies. They juist werent the right ones. Not sure he picked them though. These threads become stupid. When we win all the Gt lovers say he set us up with the list the haters say it was RL coaching and when we lose it was Gt fault for bad drafting or RL cannot coach.

Batnoe

so spending all this extra money on overseas trips (half out of players own wages) then we should be the best, what did it prove?

Geelong havent gone anywhere and their skills and fitness is the best!

It all comes down to salary cap, so we had no spare money to pay 22k to a rookie for 1 year to see if he had talent to build?

instead we pick up a kid called Dicketts, Chris Oliver and others that were just names for the sake of picking them up

Red
Club Player

We got killed in the ruck tonight. Not sure that is Lyon's fault.

We haven't got any ruckmen because apparently they are dinosaurs.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Im pretty sure that GT had rookies. They juist werent the right ones. Not sure he picked them though. These threads become stupid. When we win all the Gt lovers say he set us up with the list the haters say it was RL coaching and when we lose it was Gt fault for bad drafting or RL cannot coach.
The cycle is neverending! :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Batnoe"]so spending all this extra money on overseas trips (half out of players own wages) then we should be the best, what did it prove?

It all comes down to salary cap, so we had no spare money to pay 22k to a rookie for 1 year to see if he had talent to build?

instead we pick up a kid called Dicketts, Chris Oliver and others that were just names for the sake of picking them up[/quote

Did GT draft them?

Batnoe

plugger66 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:so spending all this extra money on overseas trips (half out of players own wages) then we should be the best, what did it prove?

instead we pick up a kid called Dicketts, Chris Oliver and others that were just names for the sake of picking them up[/quote

Did GT draft them?

He said we didnt have the money to get them...and not to spend money on improving their skills so he never took it serioulsy

this is our down fall today as we are playing catch up

Marty Clarke- Pies rookie has been playing well for a while and only played our game for 2 years...

Now imagine what we could have done spending some money on some Aussies with good training that have played for 10 years!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:so spending all this extra money on overseas trips (half out of players own wages) then we should be the best, what did it prove?

Did GT draft them?

He said we didnt have the money to get them...and not to spend money on improving their skills so he never took it serioulsy

this is our down fall today as we are playing catch up

Marty Clarke- Pies rookie has been playing well for a while and only played our game for 2 years...

Now imagine what we could have done spending some money on some Aussies with good training that have played for 10 years!!!
Yep its GT fault.

jays
Club Player

no heart thats it

dont blame the coach its the players they simpley dont want to win!!!!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:The Brooks and Watts trades will haunt us for years to come...
You'd think we were the only team to make mistakes on draft day. Collingwood spent first round picks on Richard Cole, Billy Morrison and Chris Egan. They also traded one for Woewoedin. They didn't have a decent first round pick in between Didak and Thomas. Reid and Wood didn't play tonight. Collingwood had a sum total of four first round picks from the last decade in their lineup, St Kilda had six - eight if you count Fiora and Gram. Trotter and Hay didn't kill the Roos. Power, Walsh and Faulkner didn't kill the Dogs. So why make such a big deal about two lousy picks by the Saints? It looks like somebody making excuses to me. Bad picks didn't haunt the Pies tonight, so why do they haunt us?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Im pretty sure that GT had rookies. They juist werent the right ones. Not sure he picked them though. These threads become stupid. When we win all the Gt lovers say he set us up with the list the haters say it was RL coaching and when we lose it was Gt fault for bad drafting or RL cannot coach.
Dude, I agree. But thesed silly comments that our list is better than it was back then? Come on.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:The Brooks and Watts trades will haunt us for years to come...
You'd think we were the only team to make mistakes on draft day. Collingwood spent first round picks on Richard Cole, Billy Morrison and Chris Egan. They also traded one for Woewoedin. They didn't have a decent first round pick in between Didak and Thomas. Reid and Wood didn't play tonight. Collingwood had a sum total of four first round picks from the last decade in their lineup, St Kilda had six - eight if you count Fiora and Gram. Trotter and Hay didn't kill the Roos. Power, Walsh and Faulkner didn't kill the Dogs. So why make such a big deal about two lousy picks by the Saints? It looks like somebody making excuses to me. Bad picks didn't haunt the Pies tonight, so why do they haunt us?
Who's making excuses? Don't care about other clubs TBH. Just stating that they will haunt us in the conext of where we are heading and how other teams are improving.

Not saying that we lost because of that. Please view my opinion in the full context of my post :D

"Bottom line was we had a crack with the team we had. We missed out, and now other teams are moving past us at a rapid rate. Now, we are paying the price IMHO."

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

ROSS LYONS STYLE OF PLAY IS SO NEGITIVE THAT THE PLAYERS GET LOST TRYING TO PLAY HIS STYLE , that they are concentrating so much on stopping thier direct opponent and not trying to win the ball for themselves and for the team. As a result no confidence in each other is resulting and more importantly their is NO quick play on football that can cut opposistions to pieces like GEELONG. GET UP WITH the modern game ROSS AND GET out of the boring NEGATIVE PAST.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ok found it....I agree....RL stinks.

Tonight was embarrassing.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

QUOTE of week...

choowy wrote:
Stop coaching for the opposition start coaching for yourself, with the cattle we possess.
QUOTE of the week CHOOWY I agree LYON is so pre-occupied with trying to shut down the opposition he has overlooked that the best form of defence is offence.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintly_safes
Club Player

I really dont know where we go from here ..Ross has them playing a game that is unattractive to watch , frustrating for the players & supporters alike & we cannot sustain it for 4 quarters. Our list is over rated but when on song can be more than competetive as they have shown in a couple of games. Are we not fit enough ?Not mentally strong enough?Is the coach not capable of motivating them?Is the expectation of success too overwhelming?Is it the game plan ? Are we just not good enough?The players definately dont appear to enjoy playing Ross's style of game, but if we didn't would we get flogged instead of beaten?Would really like to know what you guys think coz i'm confused.

oh when
Club Player

We do not help ourselves because we miss too many goals that other sides seem to be able to nail with relative ease.

Saints43
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Dude, I agree. But thesed silly comments that our list is better than it was back then? Come on.
The list is better than the performances being extracted from it.

Have a look at the players selected against the opposition we have played.

This is not a problem that has raised it's head in the last three weeks. This has been going on for forty one home and away rounds.

The club have to make a decision on the coach and the list. They have to back one or the other. Sign RL up for an extra two years - end of 2011 - or start a rebuild now.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I agree with all those who want Lyon sacked.

How dare he get us to the finals in his second year AND win a preseason in the same year.

I mean after all the great messiah couldn't do that until his fourth season as coach.

To get us to the finals flies in the face of most Lyon haters embracing mediocrity culture.

Who know he may even bring some success to the club.

Cabbages :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)