Kosi, CJ & Charlie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergsone
SS Life Member

Kosi, CJ & Charlie

Update in how they went yesterday as i missed game,charlie was lucky to get a game IMO,and the other 2 have had their critics of late,yet would be in my 22,also looking at thread yesterday ppl were screaming out whos on farmer ?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Kosi was ok,contributed

CJ was CJ...tries hard,has to be consistantly at his best to get a game for mine though.

Charlie probably be back at Casey this week..

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

looks like x in for charlie

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think X in for CJ.

Possibly Allen in for Gardiner after a 3 goal haul at Casey.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Charlie was shocking... just not up to the grade... shows very little at 2nds level, and plays wearing a skirt whenever he gets a crack at the big time... just shouldnt be played... 2/10

thankfully, X, Allen and McEvoy all played well at te scorps according to reports... All will be a better option, with x the most likely...

CJ busted his guts, as usual, but was very poor IMO.. disposal was the worst its been all year, and was just a headless chook the whole game.. was a step backwards, and i'd run with Armo or even Steven in the final 2 rounds... Eddy is ahead of CJ... 4/10

Kosi was solid... Not a super game, but contirbuted well and busted his ass all over the ground... Several good grabs, including a ripper in defence.. 7/10

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

CJ out; credit to him, he's a battler who's exceeded expectations, but he's not a player you'd want in the finals. X Clarke must come in now. We could also certainly do with Baker; perhaps McQualter (or Eddy) in a like-for-like change.

Kosi did more enough in my book and worked hard.

I thought Charlie did ok; he's a bit of a whipping boy. He took a lot off pressure of Riewoldt, even if he didn't get a lot of it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Legendary
Club Player

Jones played his worst game for 2 months and everyone writes him off.

He IS the sort of player you want in finals - doesn't squib it, goes in hard, does the 1%ers, strong tackler, hard body.

He's been good for us this year and deserves his place in the side.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Thanks for that,while I am at it ,M Gardiner at scorps yesterday?

Sounds like CJ struggled ,shame really admire his efforts

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:He IS the sort of player you want in finals
Can't miss targets in finals.

I wouldn't want to roll the dice by playing CJ against Geelong or any other top eight team when there's better options available.

He gives the ball away like it's a grenade.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Birss BOG in the Scorps..needs a run in the seniors.

JeffDunne

evertonfc wrote:We could also certainly do with Baker; perhaps McQualter (or Eddy) in a like-for-like change.
McQualter? :shock:

He has been one of the hardest at it over the past month or so. Would be nuts to drop him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Kosi started in ruck and around the ground and started well, then faded. Popped up now and again. Wasn't a standout but was reasonable. 15 possessions and a goal. Looked out of his depth against Sandilands but I guess giving away 11 or 12 cms is going to test any ruckman.

CJ was ok. Not sure how much game time he had. 17 possessions. Didn't butcher it. Ran hard. Was ok.

Charlie was ordinary and didn't really offer that much.

Legendary
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
evertonfc wrote:We could also certainly do with Baker; perhaps McQualter (or Eddy) in a like-for-like change.

He has been one of the hardest at it over the past month or so. Would be nuts to drop him.
Agree.

Has done as well as Baker would have done as a tagger IMO and offered some run and decent disposal.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

Agree.

Has done as well as Baker would have done as a tagger IMO and offered some run and decent disposal.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with McQualter but we can't afford more than one genuine tagger in the team.

McQualter has done more than enough to retain his rookie spot (possiblly upgraded) and looks promising for the future.

But we need Baker back in the team if he's fit and ready. Finals are about picking teams to win matches.

That's why we need X & Bakes back. I certainly hope Bakes isn't out for the rest of the year as some have speculated.

JeffDunne

I don't disagree Bakes is a walkup start if he's fit and ready. However I wouldn't be dropping McQualter to bring him in.

Common sense though would have to tell you that Bakes's struggling and quickly running out of time. I'd love to see him back but I don't see it happening.

TBH if he's not ready now I'd be tempted to start his planning for 2009 now.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I don't disagree Bakes is a walkup start if he's fit and ready. However I wouldn't be dropping McQualter to bring him in.

Common sense though would have to tell you that Bakes's struggling and quickly running out of time. I'd love to see him back but I don't see it happening.

TBH if he's not ready now I'd be tempted to start his planning for 2009 now.
There is that possibility that you are right; I am playing the optimistic card and hope there is an answer sooner rather than later.

But I hate having too many defensive players in the team. It killed us in the first half of the year.

I like players who can both ways if need be; Sam Fisher and - increasingly - Sean Dempster, have made themselves relevant this year by showing they are willing to attack. That makes them more than just negators; they are also creators.

I really do cringe at the thought Leigh Fisher and Jayden Attard finding their way back into the team; you could play 22 negators, but you'd still lose.

So I hope Baker comes back and wins the #1 tagging role; maybe McQualter, at a stretch, could become a #2 tagger who plays on a small forward.

But if Baker doesn't return than McQualter would hold his spot.

Legendary
Club Player

Baker won't return ... 2 games at AFL level this year and he hasn't played footy at any level for a month ... he would need 2-3 games in the VFL to get match fitness.

So unless its for the grand final, then we won't be seeing him again unfortunately.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

32 has been sensational, thoroughly proven me wrong

yesterday he went to farmer after quarter time and kept him nealy kickless after farmer 13 odd possessions in the first quarter

he is also getting confident enough to start running off his opponent

Baker (god love him) has not played a good game for over a year, I suspect he is no chance to get back in for the finals even if he played for casey this weekend (doubtful), you are not going to risk him with such a limited prep.

Charlie given limited opportunities was ok, took 2 strong marks

it is hard to tell from the tv how he is getting used.

I suspect he is played as a bit of a decoy lead up player playing high from the flank and hopefully dragging one of roo's double teamers away from him

I would say give him another chance

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

this thread should be prefixed by
Who actually managed to see the game?

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:this thread should be prefixed by
Who actually managed to see the game?
Funny...I saw bugger all of the game, but the 4 or so times I crept away from the drinks I was at to look at the big screen in the front bar, I saw CJ doing something. He may (as has been stated) have been running around like a headless chook, but he does apply physical pressure and make opportunities (if he'd nailed that goal in the second quarter, he'd have been a legend today)...surely you'd have to leave a guy like that in the team, knowing that when he does make the best of the opportunities he creates, it benefits the team greatly? E.g. the Buddy tackle was a classic!

He reminds me of Hamill in that he never back off and has a physical presence...OK, it's not as big a physical presence as Sammy! Hamill didn't always rack up the stats, but you were always glad to see him there, smashing into people, backing into packs, charging at the ball, because it set an example for the rest of the team...to some degree, that's what CJ adds IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

McQualter

Playa good game and shut down Farmer. A couple of times was slow to react when gaining the ball, but aprt from that was good.

A FIT and in-form Baker may well be better than Mini.

However Baker did not even play on the weekend, and when he has played of late he has struggled due to his knee.

McQualter since his recall also basically has not put a foot wrong and I would imagine has done everything the coach as asked of him. While perhaps not being as good as Baker at his best, Baker is along way off that, and so McQualter is an able replacement.

With Baker having played so little football, even if his dodgey kneee stops flairing McQualyer may be the safer beet as is match practiced, in form and is fit.

Could you play both if available? Well if you wanted one to shut a down a small forward and one to tag a midfielder then yes.

CJ
Was quiet in the first quarter with 0 possessions. Was he on the bench or just where the ball wasn't? On TV could not tell.

some of the game he was in the back pocket.

His other 3 quarters were good., though his kicking at goal was poor twice. One was an easy run in goal (mind you he had just run down about 3/4 of the ground bouncing the ball to get there!!!!) and the othera snap which was blocked.

Kosi

Played a solid game. Took some nice marks. In the ruck against Sandlinads he was ok. should have one more goal as was held just in front of goal but the umps missed the hold.

Charlie

Was ok, but a bit quiet. Was not bad, was not good.

I would have no problems if he was retained, but a fit and in-form X-man may squeeze him out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:McQualter

CJ
Was quiet in the first quarter with 0 possessions. Was he on the bench or just where the ball wasn't? On TV could not tell.

some of the game he was in the back pocket.

His other 3 quarters were good., though his kicking at goal was poor twice. One was an easy run in goal (mind you he had just run down about 3/4 of the ground bouncing the ball to get there!!!!) and the othera snap which was blocked.
Exactly, he did all the hard work... just didnt finish. You should have heard the immediate tirade from MSG on the game thread.

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

CJ did not hit a target by foot yesterday......zero

He missed two easy goals - one from 3m out...

He has had a good season compared to others, and has taken X's spot as a defensive HFF.......

Question - who would you rather with the ball in their hands 80 meters out from goal...

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:CJ did not hit a target by foot yesterday......zero

He missed two easy goals - one from 3m out...

He has had a good season compared to others, and has taken X's spot as a defensive HFF.......

Question - who would you rather with the ball in their hands 80 meters out from goal...
In 2008 ...CJ

Seeya
saintjake
Club Player

id rather birss then x.
birss had 40 touches,
and was hsi usual hard
in and under self.