Some worrying signs...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Some worrying signs...

I love the excitement, passion and enthusiasm being displayed on this forum by supporters. And who can blame us?

Some are keeping a bit of a lid on it, more so than others.

Yes, we are a genuine chance at winning... and yes, I want us to win...

BUT, what happens if we lose? Will we accept that we were done by a better team?

OR, will there be the usual post-match recriminations with supporters calling for trades, bagging players and the coach?

I for one will hope it's the former.

In the words of the Great Dennis Commetti...

We will go in optimimisticaly... and come out misty-optically?

Let's wait and see...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I doubt the boys will disappoint come sunday.

They'll leave the field having given it everything they have.

I have no doubt.

MACEwasACE
Club Player

If the boys give everything they've got and we're beaten by a better side, then so bit it. We'll all be proud and still in the hunt.

But We'll WIN!!!!!

IF It is to be it is up to me.
StSteven
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:I doubt the boys will disappoint come sunday.

I have no doubt.
I am sure you are right, but they do that regulaly, it is just that the fans don't know what they have been through; exhaustion, injuries, niggles etc.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Let me be the first so we can get it out of the way win, lose or draw.

SACK LYON

BRING BACK GT

DAMN RB

TRADE MILNE, KOSI, DAL, ROO

DELIST BLAKE, RAPH, GWILT, X

Have I missed any?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some worrying signs...

WayneJudson42 wrote:BUT, what happens if we lose? Will we accept that we were done by a better team?
it depends on the circumstances. imo it's been rare for us to be beaten purely on talent. if everyone gives it 100 per cent and we still come up short we won't lose any friends.

but i'd like to see us go down playing a few shots rather than freezing up and meekly submitting to geelong's dominance.

so long as we try to win it. i'll be satisfied.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Let me be the first so we can get it out of the way win, lose or draw.

SACK LYON

BRING BACK GT

DAMN RB

Have I missed any?

ahem.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure I agree with you WayneJudson42.

We finished 4th by a whisker. In other years, it could have been as low as 8th.

I hope we don't hang our hats on the actual ladder position at year's end - but instead break down the performance on it's merits.

Finishing 4th doesn't neccessarily mean Lyon is a great coach and our list is wonderful.

It means exactly the same as if the umpires didn't overrule the goal that Ryder kicked in the 1st quarter and we were playing in an elimination final tomorrow.

Our performance over the next month will tell us a lot. Much more than tha fact that 'we finished 4th'.

St Michele
Club Player

I am feeling the same part of me really wants to win on sunday because of all the press just writing us off but strategically we are better off not winning as if we do Geelong with be really p.....off and then if we meet them in the Grand Final be more challenging to beat but if we lose, we lose face ( again) but because we will be written off when it comes ot the Grand final we will be able to smack it to them.

Maybe I should just be happy either way on sunday.

Michele

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

This must be killing you and the other "sack Lyon" flogs on here :roll:

I can imagine it.

Alternative A - We only got in the four by a whisker - we only won three games in the finals against < insert team here> becauss <insert excuse for opposition team here>. Just because we won the flag doesn't mean Ross Lyon is a good coach.

Alternative B - We only got in the four by a whisker and didn't win the flag, conclusively vindicates our calls for Ross Lyon to be sacked.

Wouldn't just be easier for you lot who wanted Lyon sacked mid year to admit you were wrong?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

no doubt the usuals will come out whinging and whining

ah well

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt.
That's all I'm hoping for also. Anything less would be disappointing. Win or lose we get to fight on another day...but a 2 week break would really do something for us! Settle the nerves, set the mind! Imagine a Prelim! :shock: :P

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

It means exactly the same as if the umpires didn't overrule the goal that Ryder kicked in the 1st quarter and we were playing in an elimination final tomorrow.
You are a deadset flog Rodger, Even if Ryders goal had counted we would have still finished fourth, in fact we had 1 more goal in hand.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I'm not sure I agree with you WayneJudson42.

I hope we don't hang our hats on the actual ladder position at year's end - but instead break down the performance on it's merits.

Finishing 4th doesn't neccessarily mean Lyon is a great coach and our list is wonderful.

Our performance over the next month will tell us a lot. Much more than tha fact that 'we finished 4th'.
I agree. Have posted this on another thread. Sunday is the big test IMO, re players and coaches. But we'll hav eplenty of time to review this after the finals.

The context of this thread was more about people getting carried away about Sunday.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Let me be the first so we can get it out of the way win, lose or draw.

SACK LYON

BRING BACK GT

DAMN RB

Have I missed any?

ahem.

I can see this pic ending up on the dart board of the Elsternwick Park Advocate :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St. Luke wrote:

I have no doubt.
That's all I'm hoping for also. Anything less would be disappointing. Win or lose we get to fight on another day...but a 2 week break would really do something for us! Settle the nerves, set the mind! Imagine a Prelim! :shock: :P
:lol: It's bad enough for 1 week on this forum... imagine 2 weeks? Everyone's nerves would be shot. :lol:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:

I have no doubt.
:lol: It's bad enough for 1 week on this forum... imagine 2 weeks? Everyone's nerves would be shot. :lol:
:lol: I'm rooted after the last few days...I'm in a bit of a state atm hehehe

I'm frightened to see what I'll be like come Sunday morning! :roll: 8-) :P

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
You are a deadset flog Rodger, Even if Ryders goal had counted we would have still finished fourth, in fact we had 1 more goal in hand.
I assumed it was obvious that I was merely pointing out that our top 4 finish could have gone either way.

Clearly it wasn't that obvious. To some.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
:lol: I'm rooted after the last few days...I'm in a bit of a state atm hehehe

I'm frightened to see what I'll be like come Sunday morning! :roll: 8-) :P

Point 1 .................Lucky you :roll: :oops: :wink: !!

Point 2.................Nerve medicine will be served from 12.45 Sunday at the Cricketers Arms :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: !!

markp
Saintsational Legend

IMO finishing 4th counts for finishing 4th.

Well done Saints.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

Well done Saints.
So you'd make major decisions at year's end based solely on that?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm taking a very low key approach this week.

I think Geelong are a much better team than St Kilda. The ladder position after 22 weeks shows that.

Having said that, i don't believe Geelong are unbeatable, but i really don't think St Kilda can beat them twice. We can beat them, but i'd much rather we beat them in 4 weeks time, rather than this Sunday.

I think our premiership hopes are much better if we have an honourable loss on sunday, without any major injuries or tribunal problems, than if we were to show Geelong up and pull off an upset.

If we were to beat them, i would be over the moon, but i would be hoping like hell that someone else beats them before the Grand Final so we didn't have to play them again, because I don't think we can get them on a bad day twice in a month.

I'll be there cheering my lungs out for our boys, but I certainly won't be slitting any wrists if we lose.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

Well done Saints.
On the list or the coach?

I'd say it means RL has done enough to keep the wolves away from his door, and gone a long way to ensuring a contract extension next year.

Of course performance in the finals will count for much too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Lyon has in his bag of tricks.... I'm tipping it's more than just belief clouds.

Persuader
Club Player

Have you seen the ladder that shows us as the second best performed team in the last half of the year?
We'll take it up to them - Dempster is a big loss. No Ball. Rooey a bit proppy I feel. It will be tough to win but I do think we're tough enough to get the ball.
Whether we'll have the composure to kick the goals we need....
Where there's hope, there's life.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

Well done Saints.
On the list or the coach?

I'd say it means RL has done enough to keep the wolves away from his door, and gone a long way to ensuring a contract extension next year.

Of course performance in the finals will count for much too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Lyon has in his bag of tricks.... I'm tipping it's more than just belief clouds.

That's what I disagree with.

The fact that we 'finished 4th' shouldn't really be a factor.

As I said, we made it by a whisker. I'd say personally, that the review at year's end should be the same whether we snuck into 4th or finished 8th.

We beat Essendon well after having a very good second half of the year.

If we beat Essendon by 2 goals less, would that change? No.

All I'm saying is that ladder positions shouldn't be a factor when reviewing footy departments.

If North won - does that make our season any worse? If Collingwood won, ditto?

We still performed the same.