Honestly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Aussie Bears
Club Player

Honestly

Rose coloured glasses aside.... Can St Kilda get within 10 goals?

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
Buckets
SS Life Member

Yes. They did the last time they played :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Aussie Bears
Club Player

Damn i hope im wrong, but hey it is St Kilda, why get my hopes up.

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Bears wrote:Damn i hope im wrong, but hey it is St Kilda, why get my hopes up.
at the end of the day it comes down to 22 humans with flaws vs 22 humans with flaws . its all even come sunday . the lead up the last seasons all that means nothing once the boys cross that white line . i know they will be focused and i KNOW we will be it comes down to making the most of our opertunity and making thier opertunitys harder and less frequent. have faith Geelong are but mere men not some kind of mythical creatures we start sunday a 50/50 chance and that all you can ask for

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
kaos theory
Club Player

Rose coloured glasses aside.... Can St Kilda get within 10 goals?
We can do better than that, we can win by 5 goals....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Of course we can, and I am thinking that the decided lack of media attention will suit us just fine!

After tonights game, the channel 7 commentators we're talking about how "buddy" will be the only headache for Mark Thompson....getting a bit ahead of themselves don't you think! :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They must be talking about the prelim, when Geelong play Hawthorn after we beat them on Sunday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Aussie Bears wrote:Damn i hope im wrong, but hey it is St Kilda, why get my hopes up.
at the end of the day it comes down to 22 humans with flaws vs 22 humans with flaws . its all even come sunday . the lead up the last seasons all that means nothing once the boys cross that white line . i know they will be focused and i KNOW we will be it comes down to making the most of our opertunity and making thier opertunitys harder and less frequent. have faith Geelong are but mere men not some kind of mythical creatures we start sunday a 50/50 chance and that all you can ask for
no offence but that is clutching at straws....

humans with flaws eh???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Hey, it's nice to be in it and we have as much chance as anyone apart from the obvious. I have a strange feeling that I don't want to upset the bear and would like to sneak through the other path! I know that is completely wrong, but I feel more confident of just sneaking up and kicking the first 6 in the grandy, then the Cats come back, and then Roo snaps one with 42 seconds to go and we hang on with a huge Max mark in defence.

We are a sniff
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

More chance than the dogs were against Hawthorn last night.

Worst 3rd place side in years.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Well, we did get within 6 or 7 when we were nowhere near our best.

Here's hoping.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
groupie1
Club Player

we won't win this week and won't want to - although geelong more beatable this week than 2 weeks after

we'll lose this week valiantly but without really threatening, then beat Adelaide and the Hawks before springing a surprise in GF.

we are headed for the GF the hard way - win or lose, great way for Banger to go out

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
supersaints
Club Player

I actually think we can beat them......

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:we won't win this week and won't want to - although geelong more beatable this week than 2 weeks after

we'll lose this week valiantly but without really threatening, then beat Adelaide and the Hawks before springing a surprise in GF.

we are headed for the GF the hard way - win or lose, great way for Banger to go out
:roll: :roll:

WE won't want to ............Most ridiculous comment on the forum all year

saint4life
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:More chance than the dogs were against Hawthorn last night.

Worst 3rd place side in years.
I'll back that! The Dogs made the Hawks look magnificent! ....and imo the Hawks were average!

My true and honest, no rose-coloured glasses opinion tell me that we'll beat the Cats tomorrow. If not, we'll go as close as losing by only 3 goals! Losing will set us up to go even harder next time - we'll come around the long way if that's what it'll require. But I honestly think we'll win!

Great article in today's Herald Sun about Nick! :wink:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, I expect to lose tomorrow, so anything better than that is a bonus.

But if we lose, it is how we lose. If we lose like the Bulldogs did last night, I would be disappointed.

If we lose fighting and Geelong get away from us in the last quarter to win by less than 6 goals, I will be happy.

If we win, well I'd be estatic, however hope we don't have to beat them again to win the flag.

I'd rather lose tomorrow, win next week, knock off Buddy's Hawks with Buddy having as much success as he had last time against Max than knock Geelong off in the Grand Final.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Everyone must remember we are a different side now than we were for most of the year. Even though we've had a string of wins we are a far better side than we were even 4 weeks ago.

Our confidence has gone from rock bottom to sky high and we've finally got our structure worked out.

I don't believe we could be any more ready. I think last week was a more important game than just getting the percentage to slot 4th spot.

It allowed us freedom mentally to do all the things like move the ball on quickly and be a more attacking side which we've been a bit scared to do giving us real momentum and high confidence going into tomorrow.

Getting off to a good start will be I think critical for us. When you think about it we are officially the 4th best team in the comp getting there performing with no confidence and no structure and poor skills compared to the team we are now.

Going by the way the Dogs are playing and our last game against the Hawks they don't worry me either.

Forget most of the year up until recently we've evolved into a totally different team.I truly believe the confident team we are now at our best can match and beat Geelong.

I wonder where we would be sitting now if we played the whole season solidly like the other top sides have and didn't give them half the season head start?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes...but there are the if buts I mentioned in another post.

Most Geelong players are playing to their potential.

A number of Saints are not...or have only been doing so late in the season.

If all of our team plays to the maximum of their ability then we are in with a show.

We need:

*Kosi to lift a cog (two big forwards will unsettle the Cats defence.

* X to come straight in and play well....to show that pace and tackling like we know he can do

*Dal to not be Ling's bitch.

*Gwilt to playa good STRONG game using his weight (not necessarily a blinder...but we need some physical prescence up forward)

* Milne and Schneider to continue thie double act (and an in-form Kosi will help to provide opportunities)

* BJ to be our Hodge. I thik BJ post-kne is ready to bloom.
*gram to be on song with pace and run FINISHED off with good kicks.

*Lenny will win lots of bal...but needs to finish well too!

* Raph to continue on with his recent form.

* Mini to come in and limit his opponent...(is it Ablett?)

A few asides that could swing the game our way:

*Roo having a day out where his set shots are ok.
*Kosi having his best game for the year.
*BJ playing a blinder with his precise kicking setting us up.
*Gram in the midfield delivering withering pacey runs that cut throuh the Cat's zones.

Now there is alot of IF's in the above. They need to occur...and they may...or may not.

We are definately in with a show however...but the Cats are derserved favourites and so we need to LIFT to win.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong can't improve. That's as good as they'll be.

We still have a lot of areas to improve upon to reach that critical point of perfect team coordination....i think.

Rose coloured glasses...hmm. After watching the dogs last night i had some fear geelong may totally put us in our place.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:we won't win this week and won't want to - although geelong more beatable this week than 2 weeks after

This what I'd prefer to see. Don't give them a kick in the pants too early as it gives them a chance for redemption. Get them at their most vulnerable ie when they become too cocky and over confident.

Another opportunity awaits!
claystreet
Club Player

I put $50 on the saints to beat the pussies and $50 for the flag. Thats what i consider confidence in a team i have followed since circa 1960. I am also a non gambler normally so its alot of money for me to punt.

Stop the negatives, be positive, i am sure the boys arn't defeated before the 1st bounce unlike like alot of people around here

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Geelong really should be S---ing their pants at least with the hawks and dogs they know where their at.

How do they play us? We're so unpredictable we don't even know what we're going to do but they do know our capabilities and know they are definitely not playing the same St Kilda as last time.

The scary thing about it is who knows how much better we can Improve with good coaching in which I've always believed we've had?

Who knows maybe we've been a bit of a sleeping Giant in the comp that's starting to awaken.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Sat 06 Sep 2008 12:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

timclark27
Club Player

I thought Mark Thompsons comments during the week about our list was very interesting. If you read between the lines I got the impression he wasn't happy that we had 2 of their players with intimate knowledge of their game plans and the way they play finals matches. :wink:

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Scores are level at the moment... :lol:

saintDal
Club Player

If we had Ball and Dempster playing I would feel better going into this game but having said that I still feel we can take things up to the cats.