Choose . Losing Grand Final or not at all.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Choose . Losing Grand Final or not at all.

Ok lets be realistic unless Bartel,Ablett,Johnson,Milburn and a couple of others pull hamstrings at training we have almost no chance of beating them.

I believe we are able to beat anyone else to get to the Grand Final but Geelong already with a Flag under their belt I'm sure will handle the big day mentally far better than us on top of everything else.

So in saying that I was just wondering how everyone thought (as I love hypotheticals) .

If you knew we had NO chance of winning (which in this case it's not too far off ) would you rather have the thrill and occasion of the big day
playing in a losing Grand Final and take pain and suffering of a loss or not make it at all?

If you went for the second option but want to keep winning from here, subconsiously your almost leaning to option one.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Would much rather being in the Grand Final as a contender, then leaving this year as an also ran

The other bonus to that is we will KNOW it is Harves last game before the event

But in a two horse race anything can happen

Believe or FREAKING burn!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I would love to just make it and see harvey in a grand final as his last game.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
StSteven
Club Player

If we make the GF it means we have won 2 finals. I would take that for many reasons, experience etc etc.

Going out in straight sets is the worry I have. Demoralizing.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Would much rather being in the Grand Final as a contender, then leaving this year as an also ran

The other bonus to that is we will KNOW it is Harves last game before the event

But in a two horse race anything can happen

Believe or FREAKING burn!
No I'm asking if you knew we we're going to lose but you answered it anyway and I'm with you I'd rather see us lose in a Grand Final and go through the pain and suffering.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy just beating the Pies and getting them out of contention!

I also hate the Hawks! Arrogant, cocky SOB's!! So I hope we beat them also!

I'd be happy enough to make it to a GF! Maybe it'll pump down rain and change the conditions a little??? Who knows?

Got to keep rolling along! :wink:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

It would depend on how much we lost by... if it's 100+ point humiliation then no, if a gallant effort we could build on then yes.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no offence...but i find it a silly question.

yeah they are good
yeah they look unbeatable
but who woulda thought the filth would have walloped them by 86 points??

if theres a 1% chance of beating them on the day.........ill take the 1%

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

To make the Gf and only to loose id take anyday over going out without a wimper.

Before Im 85
rexy
SS Life Member

no contest
go as far as you can

Maybe this year?
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:no offence...but i find it a silly question.

yeah they are good
yeah they look unbeatable
but who woulda thought the filth would have walloped them by 86 points??

if theres a 1% chance of beating them on the day.........ill take the 1%
The question is if hypothetically you knew we would lose would you rather see us in a losing Grand Final than not all.

After yesterdays outcome things go around in your head as they do and I thought still scarred not getting over 1997, this is almost a certain loss for whoever maybe even a belting.

Would we be better off letting someone else take on the high chance of a possible humiliation?

How would we all be and do we want to go through it or not and how would it affect us well after( especially us yearning for so long)?

I decided I would rather carry it with 97 and watch us lose even if a crystal ball showed me now a definate loss.

oh when
Club Player

My philosophy is quite simple - you can't win a GF if you're not in it. I've always said it's worse to lose a Prelim. b/c you don't get a crack at the flag and gf week when your club is in it is magic.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Does Runner Up get a big novelty cheque too?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well ill never be in the position to KNOW that we are going to lose...
(F***..i thought we would win this week :?)

unless i bump into michael j fox, the doc and their trusty sidekick mutt einstein.

but i can see your point......ok, if i KNEW i was gonna get walloped like port did last year, i have to say id rather not see that.
and if i KNEW that id have one almighty bet on the TAB... win, and id be paying ten grand for a corporate box so a few of us on here could watch the cats get done by someone else, and get blind as bats and eat top notch nosh

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

As long as it's not by 119 points, i'd rather be there come that final day in September :lol:

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Trust me I know the feeling having been there in 1977 (x2), 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002-2003.

I guess as I was a lot older with the 2002-2003 it was harder to digest. Especially 2003 where I thought the Brions were very beatable, having a few injuries and the like and they just came out and blew the game out right from the start.

So my point is, yes it's great to get there and soak up the festivities and atmosphere leading up to GF day. Dealing with the loss is indescribable. :(

St Michele
Club Player

I may be a bit positive but I have not given up yet and I want us to be there.

If we had actually been accurate in our goal kicking ( something we can and should have improved through the year), not given away stupid free kicks in front of the goals ( 4 I think) we could have been in the hunt yesterday. THe big difference other than that I noticed was when someone kicks the ball to be marked we stand back and wait for it to come to us, Geelong however are always moving and always looking for ways to get between the ball and the opposition players that makes a huge difference.

I truely believe if we concentrate on these things we do have a chance to win the grand final (in my very humble opinion)

Michele

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Michele wrote:The big difference other than that I noticed was when someone kicks the ball to be marked we stand back and wait for it to come to us, Geelong however are always moving and always looking for ways to get between the ball and the opposition players that makes a huge difference.
This has been our problem all year - not just from kick ins - Geelong handball 5 metres infront of the player - and if he doesn't get there it is his fault - we hand ball to where the player is now - he has to stop and then start again. Receiving the ball at full tilt makes a team look quick - starting your run from a standing start makes you look slow - same as delivery into the forward line - Roo takes it either at his feet or at the top of his arc - it should be on his chest 5 metres from where he starts his lead - look at the delivery to Buddy - and the way it came into Geelong yesterday.

Winmar
Club Player

I was thinking about this question today. I think it'd be worth making it and losing, as disappointing as it would obviously be.