Asisstant coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Asisstant coaches

Started to think about asisstant coaches yesterday. Think Rock has done a reasonable job with the midfield, accountable and hard and willing to work back, more likely to have a shot when they are within distance also.

Dont think Silvagni has had much impact on the backline, not done badly but not done wonders either. Thought Jason Cripps was doing just as good a job if not better prior to the coaching changes.

Jon Barker needs to be replaced, Fwd line has not functioned well for 2 years, possibility to either look from within (Hammil Gherig) recruit from elsewhere (Neitz Lynch Riccuito) or move Silvagni to looking after the Fwds and ask Cripps back?

Maybe this year?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lets get Hamill in for Barker.What does Barker know that Hamill doesn't????

Another opportunity awaits!
rexy
SS Life Member

Ross Lyon

Maybe this year?
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

You could of had the Pope coaching and we still would've lost.

Our biggest problem with our fwd line is that we lack a 2nd key fwd now that G has retired, ffs.

Doesn't matter who the fwd coach is. IMO.

Hawks: Franklin, Roughie, Williams

Cats: Mooney, Johnson, Lonergan etc

Us? Roo, Milne

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Superboot
SS Life Member

We have next to no forward structure on a good day.

None whatsoever on a bad day.

Midfielders run through the middle look up, and what do they see?

Well who knows, but it certainly isn't movement.

No wonder decision making and disposal are poor.

Art Vandelay
Club Player

Agree that Barker needs to be moved on, but in fairness we just don't have that many options for a second forward. The fact that Charlie Gardiner is running around in our forward line shows you where we are as a club. You can't make chocolate out of sh!t.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Art Vandelay wrote:Agree that Barker needs to be moved on, but in fairness we just don't have that many options for a second forward. The fact that Charlie Gardiner is running around in our forward line shows you where we are as a club. You can't make chocolate out of sh!t.
I like that Art!

Another opportunity awaits!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Art Vandelay wrote:Agree that Barker needs to be moved on, but in fairness we just don't have that many options for a second forward. The fact that Charlie Gardiner is running around in our forward line shows you where we are as a club. You can't make chocolate out of sh!t.
Too true. Let's be honest... we could have had Roo, and Fev yesterday, and with the crap delivery... we still would have lost.

It all starts from the mids.

Bombers had in in 2000
Lions had it
WCE had it
Swans choked the life out of WCE (the exception)
Now the Cats have it.
Hawks are developing it

We had it in 04 and 05... but not any more.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
supersaints
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:You could of had the Pope coaching and we still would've lost.

Our biggest problem with our fwd line is that we lack a 2nd key fwd now that G has retired, ffs.

Doesn't matter who the fwd coach is. IMO.

Hawks: Franklin, Roughie, Williams

Cats: Mooney, Johnson, Lonergan etc

Us? Roo, Milne
ive heard the Pope has a job already

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Asisstant coaches

rexy wrote:Started to think about asisstant coaches yesterday. Think Rock has done a reasonable job with the midfield, accountable and hard and willing to work back, more likely to have a shot when they are within distance also.

Dont think Silvagni has had much impact on the backline, not done badly but not done wonders either. Thought Jason Cripps was doing just as good a job if not better prior to the coaching changes.

Jon Barker needs to be replaced, Fwd line has not functioned well for 2 years, possibility to either look from within (Hammil Gherig) recruit from elsewhere (Neitz Lynch Riccuito) or move Silvagni to looking after the Fwds and ask Cripps back?
Tend to disagree a bit...

It's not Barker's fault if the delivery into the forward 50 is crap and at times predicable. There have been many times that the ball is kicked into the forward 50, only to have it turned over by poor disposal.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

When StKilda lined up on the forward line at the start of the 2nd quarter,
Mark McLure on 774 said,have a look at StKilda's forward line,that setup would not scare any defence in the league.......

We are lacking..big time....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Stands to reason then why Allen isn't in the team????

Some say that Allen hasn't shown form with Casey or is too inconsistent and therefore should not be picked - yet by my reckoning wouldn't he will develop a lot quicker in the senior team than languishing with Casey - he is the type of young marking forward that we are screaming out for to be developed

Case point - look at Jack Reiwoldt - was taken into the Richmond senior line up halfway during the season and has not looked back - he started slowly but as the weeks have passed he has grown in confidence and seems likely to step up again

Allen had a decent pre-season and if given time he looked likely that he would step up this season - unfortunately the complete opposite has happened - he hasn't been given the chance and while others the same age in other teams are thriving and learning their trade in a senior AFL team he gets to play with 2nd rate footballers

For someone who was picked in the All-Australian U18 team I am slightly puzzled as to why we haven't preserved with him in the senior side

No-one ever stars from day one and sure players need be given the time to develop in the VFL however considering our lack of tall marking forwards at this current time Allen needs to be drafted into senior side and left there - at least next season anyway!!!!!!!!

Same goes with Armo and McEvoy!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Schillaci
Club Player

Art Vandelay wrote:You can't make chocolate out of sh!t.

That gave me a laugh...haven't heard that one before....means the same as the one I commonly use "You can't polish a turd"

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I usually say you cant turn a turd into a polly waffle.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
rexy wrote:Started to think about asisstant coaches yesterday. Think Rock has done a reasonable job with the midfield, accountable and hard and willing to work back, more likely to have a shot when they are within distance also.

Tend to disagree a bit...

It's not Barker's fault if the delivery into the forward 50 is crap and at times predicable. There have been many times that the ball is kicked into the forward 50, only to have it turned over by poor disposal.
Tend to agree. Nothing wrong with the forward structure when delivery is good. But we still need a 2nd key fwd.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon our defence has been OK this year

Cant use yesterday as an example..bloody hell with Bartel, Corey, Ling and Ablett screaming through the midfield the way they were, the Kokoda boys complete with Fuzzy Wuzzys woldnt have turned the tide

Sam Fisher is now an elite defender. Max has turned back the clock..BJ, Grammy, (until unleashed in the midfield) Gilbo etc have had good seasons. We've mopped up speculative bombs as well as anyone I reckon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Halo Halo
Club Player

rexy wrote: Jon Barker needs to be replaced, Fwd line has not functioned well for 2 years, possibility to either look from within (Hammil Gherig) recruit from elsewhere (Neitz Lynch Riccuito) or move Silvagni to looking after the Fwds and ask Cripps back?
I have been accused of being too Johnny Barker friendly on here, infact i've been called Jon Barker on this forum, & I will continue to stand up for the guy!! I fail to see how you could take shot at Barker when two of his forwards have kicked 50+ goals this season, plus we have the likes of Schneider, Birss, Gardiner etc who have also been successful in the foward line, ohh & the team finished fourth on the ladder, which could have only happened because we kicked enough goals to win & inturn score enough % to do so..

I rate Johnny Barker - reckon the bloke is doing okay with the cattle he has to work with..