The Fox Report - 15/9/08

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Fox Report - 15/9/08

Good Evening Saints Fans!!!

Well well well.

Here we are - back where we belong!!

Let's be frank here. Let's put all the usual Saintsational bickering aside for a minute.

Let's get a few things straight....

We have a good list. We have a list capable of winning a flag. A 'top 4 list' if you will.

It's been 'tweaked' with the best recruit our club has seen in a while in Steven King, and topped up with a bloke who I bagged in Schneider - but really, seriously, it's our 'old' list we;ve come to know and love over the past 6 years - they;ve just grown up now!

They're men!

And they've got the ticker now and the mental toughness which I've felt was the one thing lacking for this group.

Not pace. Not youth. Not any of the other rubbish.

Mental toughness - the most important ingredient in football.

A couple of things form Saturday night.....

Did anyone notice Joey's calves with his socks down? Gee whiz, there's a poor pigeon out there frantically looking for it's legs. Look no further - they're down at Moorabbin attached to the torso of No. 11!!

How good was Raph? He's quick! I've lways been a fan, but even I was surprised with his dash. I've said this before, and I stand by it - but pace in football is rarely purely 'leg related'. It's timing and confidence. If you break at the right time and receive the nut at full pace - you look quick.

Pivotal moments - Eddy taking the mark with the flight in the pocket and playing on to centre the ball to Dal. That would not have happened earlier in the year. He would not have taken the risk.

Roo's kicking. See what I mean when I bag him? When he kicks well, he's elite. When he doesn't, he's not.

An interesting thought I had when Kosi dumped Wakelin. Firstly, I was stoked to see such a chronic stager dumped into the turf. But secondly, I actually he'd just made a tough decision easy. I would have dropped him if we got through, based on his first 45 minutes.

However, I think being reported made something click in Kosi's head. Perhaps he thought he was gone and if he was to make a contribution, it simply had to be this week? Whatever it was, he was a different player after half time. Very, very important and did the things we know he can do.

An interesting moment which I think summed Kosi up. It was in the 2nd quarter I think. He took a grab and handballed off to Max on the outer wing. As usual, he just lumbered after disposing of the ball.
Max had to gesture fiercely to him (whilst Max was carrying the ball) to run hard and shepherd. It was like Kosi had been hit with a whip. He suddenly founf an extra 20% and sprinted to protect the ball carrier.

I realised at that point, that effort is a problem for Kosi. Not bravery. Not lack of 'wanting'. But he just doesn't actually go at 110% when he's not in a direct contest.

It was a very interesting moment. Perhaps in his career.

Now, absolute credit to our coaching staff in the back half. Our backline functions like a well oiled maching at times. And Saturday night was one of those times. Don't be fooled by the 'inside 50' stats that Collingwood rolled us in - we actually let teams run the ball forward and effectively give them some 'inside 50s'.

Now there was a very interesting question posed early this year. It was 'which players have improved under Ross Lyon?'. At the time, I honestly could not think of one.

However, let's pose that question now....

I'd say just about every player has improved.

Seriously, I think all have. Consistency is still an issue, but the reality is we're a top 4 side again. We're in a prelim. And Rosco has our good players playing well. They've all improved.

Let's get something clear here - we've beaten every team in the top 10 this year - bar the Bulldogs and the Cats.

That's an awesome effort.

We've come from behind several times this year which has been an achilles heel of ours.

We've improved. The areas we needed to improve in - we have.

I wasn't convinced of anything, until we won a final. If you don't win at least one final - then a 'top 4 finish' isn't a worth a pinch of shiit.

I'm still a fraction concerned about our future. There's still a sense of 'we just fell in to the top 4', and we on'y beat a very young Collingwood last week. And I want to be convinced we're th real deal for years to come.

However right now, we're a top 4 side.

Full credit to everyone involved.

I was wrong about Ross Lyon.

I've always liked him, however I certainly questioned his coaching ability.

He's doing what a coach needs to do. Get your players to play well. Get them to try hard. Make sure they're fit and make sure they play as a team.

I love the Saints.

I love Saintsational.

Can't wait for the Granny!

santazzi
Club Player

Well done Foxy...............confession of a mad sainter......and an excellent repentence.............saints of the heavens will smile on you...and our SAINTS.........

Seriously though, this team of ours are showing a kind of evolution over the last few weeks that I believe they can go all the way...........I remember having a thought about Lyon's game plan and thinking that he was actually be holding back on some special plans to be unleashed on the serious end of the season......I really beleaved this and posted about it awhile ago but as I am technologically challenged (about rogerwa's level) I cannot retrive that statment of mine.................but suffice to say I am very confident...........

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fox Report - 15/9/08

I could pick...but nah...good report
:wink:
rodgerfox wrote:
I realised at that point, that effort is a problem for Kosi. Not bravery. Not lack of 'wanting'. But he just doesn't actually go at 110% when he's not in a direct contest.

!
I agree...I have thought this about Kosi for a while.....

He just in the main seems to cruise around....not quite in full gear (though he has been no lone ranger at the Saints).

You can drwa a parallel with Dal...though Dal has given more throghout the year.

But with both sometimes yoou look at them...and they just are not going flat out. they migh decidea contest is lost...and not bother to compete...or to run that little bit further to shepheard...or laya tackle...or....

Contrast this with CJ..a constant dyamo who will never die wondering.

One the stat they do not measure is PRESSURE..... CJ is always chasing people likea terrier so that even when he does not land the tackle...that the person he is chasing is still under the pump and icks or hanballs poorly. How often have we seen CJ cause a turnover in this way......

Now if Kosi could aquire CJ's application...then wow kosi could just be that player that we long him to be.

Like you post report I thought Kosi lifted...I said he was on angry pills.

If both Kosi and Dal can repeat their performances next week it will goa long way to us rolling the Hawks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post, especially the bit you admitted you were wrong. :D

Seriously though the point you make that were area top four team is indisputable. It is a fact. It doesn't matter what we argue or what we think of the coach or the list or the admin or the bootstudder.

Facts are:

WE ARE A TOP FOUR TEAM.

Doesn't matter how we got there. Doesn't matter if some thought RL couldn't coach and the gameplan was crap. Doesn't matter if others thought it was our list and that we didn't have the cattle. The club and team and coach and players have somehow proven us all wrong.

I had written the team off before the Freo match. Even after winning I still thought it was a forelorn hope to make the finals. I advocated playing the youngsters in a development year.

I was wrong :D :D

And I am so glad I am. I do think that RL has shored up the list with good recruiting and we have some beauties coming through in the reserves.

I dont want to get carried away however the coaching and execution of the gameplan on Saturday night was excellent and could it be that RL has been working toward this and for finals? Sounds trite and silly I know but there are some gameplans suited to finals and some not. RL gameplan is certainly not an attacking one, however it may well stand the test when it matters.

Still if it all comes crashing down on Saturday questions may still be asked.

During the sack Lyon period I asked that Lyon be judged at seasons end. That time is rapidly approaching and I think he may be judged less harshly than anyone thought possible before the Freo game.

We are still in it. We are again top four, we have a fairly healthy list, we have the players, game, coach, and we have Harvs.

GO SAINTERS.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
It's been 'tweaked' with the best recruit our club has seen in a while in Steven King, and topped up with a bloke who I bagged in Schneider - but really, seriously, it's our 'old' list we;ve come to know and love over the past 6 years - they;ve just grown up now!
90% accurate Rodge. Not sure about this one though...

No Penny, Gtrain, Voss, Black, Jones, or Hamill. So not quite the same list. Nice try, though :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

No Penny, Gtrain, Voss, Black, Jones, or Hamill. So not quite the same list. Nice try, though :wink:
I suppose you could add Powell and Thompson to that as well.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Peckett?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I disagree.

How many of those guys played week in, week out from 2003 til now?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Peckett?
Guerra?

Theres ten not there. Almost half the team.

Lance or James??

Legendary
Club Player

If you include Ball, and don't count Schneider and King (recruits), we will have 13 players who have played in a Preliminary Final against the Hawks ...

So 13 blokes who were part of those 04/05 teams ...

Obviously you add in a few guys like Gram, Raph etc. who were at the club at the time but didn't play.

Great experience to have going into a final, but also reflects the youth in our team and the fact that we have a great base for the future ...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

what happened to we are poorly coached being our main issue?

Geezus theyre coming out of the woodwork now....

Nice to have you on board FINALLY......guess for some the penny drops......very slow.

“Yeah….nah””
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Has someone hacked into Dodgy Fox's Saintsational account?

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
my les foote
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:.

Let's get something clear here - we've beaten every team in the top 10 this year - bar the Bulldogs and the Cats.
And the Lions!

And don't forget the aqueducts.

Win it for HIM!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

what happened to we are poorly coached being our main issue?

Geezus theyre coming out of the woodwork now....

Nice to have you on board FINALLY......guess for some the penny drops......very slow.
'On board'?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

or thompson, peckett :D