Geelong do not need any help....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geelong do not need any help....

So why when the game is in the balance are they getting some big assistance from the umps......the decisions against Cooney and non-decision against Rooke where game changers....

against us the were gifted in the first quarter.......Milne, Hunt and Hayes decisions were shocking....

after they get that help they are hard to stop, because teams get overwhelmed when Geelong hit the front

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geelong do not need any help....

BigMart wrote:So why when the game is in the balance are they getting some big assistance from the umps......the decisions against Cooney and non-decision against Rooke where game changers
i agree. unfortunately the umpires also believe in their invincibility. everything goes your way when you win as often as they do.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the week after the geelong game i had some time off fom work so i was watching a bit of footy from 2004 2005 2006 i noticed a amazing trend
in 2004 when ever the saints played and there was a 50/50 call to be made on a free 9/10 we goit it ... in 2005 west coast had the rub from the maggots .... 2006 it was again Westcoast getting the rub from the umps and strangly the tide had turned in regards to the 50/50 decisions against st kilda !!!! so basically the good teams of each year get the better treatment from the umps

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
yipper
SS Life Member

And their on-ballers can get away with full 360 degree turns when being tackled before they decide to dispose of the ball!! No other team gets that luxury that I can recall. Ablett finally being pinged late in the game - after getting away it earlier.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Play in front - you get the frees.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I know because they're strong in a tackle they get other rules... what a joke get looked after especially stevie johnson and usually chapman... Ablett only got pinged when he did nearly a 540...

timtam
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Play in front - you get the frees.
EXACTLY!!!!!

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:And their on-ballers can get away with full 360 degree turns when being tackled before they decide to dispose of the ball!! No other team gets that luxury that I can recall. Ablett finally being pinged late in the game - after getting away it earlier.
it's something we should look at down the track. you need to take every advantage that the rules allow.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geelong do not need any help....

BigMart wrote:So why when the game is in the balance are they getting some big assistance from the umps......the decisions against Cooney and non-decision against Rooke where game changers....

against us the were gifted in the first quarter.......Milne, Hunt and Hayes decisions were shocking....

after they get that help they are hard to stop, because teams get overwhelmed when Geelong hit the front
I agree Mart...was sreaming the same thing at the box last night[much to my wife and daughters annoyance :roll: ]

....don't gift them charity when they definately don't need it.

Think the decisions you mentioned had dramatic effect.

Just let the players play FFS :x

IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!!! :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Sat 20 Sep 2008 11:42am, edited 2 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
jk23
Club Player

I noticed that the game when we played them , I just thought I was being biased, so I watched them play other teams and yes the get away with alot more than other teams.....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

don't know what people are whingeing about. Any excuse to slag off the umps I guess.
I thought the umpiring was very good last night. They were consistent and clear. The only one that had a real impact was Rooke and Johnson in the last quarter. Should have been a free to Johnson. Apart from that, the umpires were consistent with holding the ball, hardly paid a tiggy touchwood free against a backman spoiling and when the game was really up for grabs in the third and early in the last, they let it go. Good performance.

happy feet
Club Player

Umpires

It is unusual for umpires to change the outcome of the game, although I think that the Umps are a bit intimidated by Geelong. The amount of tackles that should be called "holding the ball" is appalling. Look at the first quarter last night. ON at least 2 occasions G Ablett was tackled and slung around 360 degrees - I though that was an immediate free kick. To his credit he still disposed of the ball well and resulted in a Geelong goal. If it were the Saints being tackled, a certain free kick would have been given.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

It gets back to the umpires seem to run two sets of rules books.
The Weagles have been substituted by Gee-long in terms of holding the ball or even more importantly placing the ball on the ground like a touchdown without making any attempt to handball or kick the ball way.
It's like the umpires are sub-consciously reacting with "this is Geelong, they can't possibly be making a mistake"
Well yes they do make mistakes and they do infringe- just watch for Ling holding onto whoever's jumper in the centre bounces.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A few thoughts on this topic

1.I don't think Geelong are really getting any more latitude than other teams re holding the ball: I think they are great at exploiting an interpretation that has been around for years: that is, if you are held - even for a few seconds - and still manage to make an effective disposal at the end, they rarely blow their whistle. But, if the ball ends up going to ground, even if you dispose of it legally, they call holding the ball All teams exploit this to some extent, it's just that some Geelong players are so strong and so good at standing in a tackle that they are able to exploit it a lot more

2. I thought the Rooke incident was extremely unfortunate for the Dogs coming at the spot on the field where it happened and at the point of the game when it did. But I didn't call a free for it when I was watching the game: surely it was only a borderline free at best

3. In the game I watched last night (and I can only conclude that they must have broadcast a different game down here), Geelong played by far the cleaner footy. The Bullies - as surely any side will have to do to beat the Cats ATM - scrambled in defence thoughout the match: pushing, chopping, blocking players running towards contests, etc. I thought the umpires were, on the whole, pretty lenient about this. To me, they played some frees they mightn't have done, and let go some they might've played

But, on the whole, I thought the Bullies got a far better run that we did 2 weeks ago. If we get no worse tonight, we won't have much to complain about IMO

And the Bullies had the game in their hands towards the end of the third quarter and squandered chance after chance. No point blaming the umpyies for that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the Cats get a good run because they are always first in for the ball.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon the Cats get a good run because they are always first in for the ball.
you would say that, umpire!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I reckon the Cats get a good run because they are always first in for the ball.
Now that is playing the man. My free 20 out dead in front.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Now that is playing the man. My free 20 out dead in front.
:D

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Brian Lake - a fullback - was the Dogs best. That speaks volumes.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

was watching last weeks game and still can't get over some of the dumb decisions by the umpire. How does shouting "now now now" consistute 3 warnings and calling a 50 metre penalty as the ball was in the air. Got to love it when the players have that shock look on their face.

Anyway the dogs have no one to blame but themselves. But I did love the look on abletts face when he was finally pinged for being slung 360.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I am convinced after watching last nights game and our game against the Cats 2 weeks ago that the umpires pay them free kicks because of the high profile names they have. The media have built these cats up so much that every body knows who they are (except Varcoe) so now the umpires will give them a free kick based on perceived status in the game and not on whether a free is warranted. Little known players from the doggies and ourselves will struggle to get Free's against the cats with the current batch of clowns with whistles.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:A few thoughts on this topic

1.I don't think Geelong are really getting any more latitude than other teams re holding the ball: I think they are great at exploiting an interpretation that has been around for years: that is, if you are held - even for a few seconds - and still manage to make an effective disposal at the end, they rarely blow their whistle. But, if the ball ends up going to ground, even if you dispose of it legally, they call holding the ball All teams exploit this to some extent, it's just that some Geelong players are so strong and so good at standing in a tackle that they are able to exploit it a lot more

2. I thought the Rooke incident was extremely unfortunate for the Dogs coming at the spot on the field where it happened and at the point of the game when it did. But I didn't call a free for it when I was watching the game: surely it was only a borderline free at best

3. In the game I watched last night (and I can only conclude that they must have broadcast a different game down here), Geelong played by far the cleaner footy. The Bullies - as surely any side will have to do to beat the Cats ATM - scrambled in defence thoughout the match: pushing, chopping, blocking players running towards contests, etc. I thought the umpires were, on the whole, pretty lenient about this. To me, they played some frees they mightn't have done, and let go some they might've played

But, on the whole, I thought the Bullies got a far better run that we did 2 weeks ago. If we get no worse tonight, we won't have much to complain about IMO

And the Bullies had the game in their hands towards the end of the third quarter and squandered chance after chance. No point blaming the umpires for that.
That post is far, far too logical for this forum, m.b.

You are hereby suspended for one week.... unless you're prepared to close one eye and start talking sense. :wink:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
..... In the game I watched last night ........Geelong played by far the cleaner footy.........
But, on the whole, I thought the Bullies got a far better run (with the umpires) that we did 2 weeks ago......
Coudn't agree more, I thought the W Bulldogs had a few soft frees in front of goal - it's just that they missed :shock:

Their supporters boo all the time, and squeal for every decision

Hold your ground :shock:
kalsaint
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:I know because they're strong in a tackle they get other rules... what a joke get looked after especially stevie johnson and usually chapman... Ablett only got pinged when he did nearly a 540...
And amazing he still vented his displeasure with the umps decision. The umpire should have given 50m.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency