The Shopping List

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Shopping List

Adelaide:
Graham Johncock – Pro: Small defender which we need, good skills – Con: Attitude, Port will offer more

Brent Reilly – Pro: Victorian, ball winner, potential to step up into an A grade mifielder – Con: 25yo and still yet to make his step

Brisbane:
Troy Selwood – Pro: Better than McQualter, enduranced, cheap! – Con: Average footskills, ballwinner turned into tagger

Carlton:
Brad Fisher – Pro: Third tall up forward, coming off average season(s) – Con: Injury prone until this season

Collingwood:
Chris Egan – Pro: Talented, huge potential, has shown signs, medium forward option, cheap – Cons: Poor work rate/attitude, serious failure in career so far

Ben Johnson – Pro: Small defender, should be cheap, a proven performer – Cons: Out of form, off field links

Alan Didak – Pro: Midfield forward, massive talent, top 5 player – Cons: Expensive, off field issues

Essendon:
Andrew Lovett – Pro: Pace! Has performed in big games, x factor – Cons: More expensive than others? Attitude? Off field issues

Fremantle:
Adam Campbell – Pro: 194cm, good mark, beautiful kick, relatively new to the game – Cons: Might cost Charlie Gardiner’s spot

Geelong:
Kane Tennace – Pro: Pace, out of favour at Geelong – Cons: Isn’t really a top 10 player and doesn’t look to have the potential to become one either

David Wojcinski – Pro: Pace, small defender, could be the unsettled Cat to make way for Chapman – Cons: More expensive than others

Hawthorn:
Tim Boyle – Pro: Third tall in forward line, can go to backline, no gametime at Hawthorn – Cons: Injury prone, inconsistent, Hawthorn impossible to deal with

Melbourne:
Brad Green – Pro: Senior player who can win games, would benefit being in a better side – Cons: 27yo, expensive

North Melbourne:
Daniel Harris – Pro: Solid midfielder who will add to rotations – Cons: Like most at North he isn’t an A grade midfielder

Andrew Swallow – Pro: Tackling midfielder strong at clearances, still young (21/22 yo), will improve – Cons: Injuries, out of form

Corey Jones – Pro: Mid sized forward, out of favour at North Melbourne, will slot in nicely – Cons: Out of form, 27yo

Port Adelaide:
Adam Thomson – Pro: Aggressive, first round draftee, Victorian – Cons: Other Vic clubs already showing interest

Richmond:
Jake King – Pro: Pace, small defender – Cons: Skills, overhyped, injuries

Andrew Raines – Pro: Small defender who should develop into a midfielder, neat player – Cons: Richmond f/s, out of form

Kayne Pettifer – Pro: Mid third tall forward, talented goalkicker, cheap – Cons: Plays for self and not team

Sydney:
Ryan O’Keefe – Pro: Star player, third tall who would perfectly suit St Kilda, Victorian, Ross Lyon trump to perhaps convince him – Cons: Very expensive, 27yo

Jude Bolton – Pro: Solid midfielder, relationship with Lyon, value decline, Sydney looking to rebuild – Cons: Getting on in age, wouldn’t want to lose a draft pick for him (player swap?)

West Coast:
Daniel Kerr – Pro: Star player, would lead midfield division for 5+ years – Cons: Very expensive, off field issues

Mark Seaby – Pro: Huge value decline, backup ruckman/forward, still young in ruckman years – Cons: Backup at best

Western Bulldogs:
Farren Ray – Pro: Solid young midfielder, wants out? – Cons: Western Australian, likely fringe player at St Kilda

Other:
Ben Cousins – Pro: Star player, adds plenty to midfield, cheap(psd) – Cons: Off field issues, Collingwood, old

I tend to like the bolded players for their value. I don't like a lot of these players but they are certainly all worth considering and yes most likely rejecting.

St Kilda need to find a small defender who can rebound. Similar to Dempster who we really missed in the finals. Gilbert is often found out against the small quick forwards.

Someone with pace, who can also use it is a must. We need someone who can be relied to break through zones and hurt the opposition with run.

A third tall would be a high priority I would think. Gwilt, C.Gardiner have shown they aren't completely up for it and Ferguson (who I thought showed a bit) seems to be out of favour at the club.

From us I think Xavier might be in trouble. His contract was meant to be signed earlier in the season (when Gram re-signed I believe) however nothing seems to have happened. Lyon put him on his last chance last season by offering him only a one year contract. I'd be very surprised judging from comments made by the club if Koschitzke or Dal Santo are thrown up for trade.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Good post.

Would definitely have a crack at Thomson from Port, I like what I've seen of him...

Lovett would be brilliant, and Ben Johnson and Cousins would be terrific pickups also. Campbell to take Charlie's spot is a must!

The Saints are coming!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Ben Johnson – Pro: Small defender, should be cheap, a proven performer – Cons: Out of form, off field links
There is no way in hell I want him at St Kilda. He is the laziest player in the AFL, he is very suited to go to Fremantle

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:
There is no way in hell I want him at St Kilda. He is the laziest player in the AFL, he is very suited to go to Fremantle
You're right about his laziness. I was thinking of David Johnson from the Cats. Nuggety small backman....

The Saints are coming!
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Carlton:
Brad Fisher – Pro: Third tall up forward, coming off average season(s) – Con: Injury prone until this season
It was mentioned in The Australian last week that we were talking to him.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Sydney:
Ryan O’Keefe – Pro: Star player, third tall who would perfectly suit St Kilda, Victorian, Ross Lyon trump to perhaps convince him – Cons: Very expensive, 27yo
I used to like O'Keefe, but next year (January) he turns 28...

In the last 2 seasons he has averaged just 1 goal a match and he will be far too expensive for that sort of return IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Red
Club Player

Interesting opinions - Not sure that they are all that informed.[/i]

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Shopping List

SaintBot wrote:
Collingwood: Ben Johnson

Essendon: Andrew Lovett

Fremantle: Adam Campbell
What/who would these clubs want in return?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

I don't think Essendon would want much for Lovett, why should they?

He is lazy
He is injury prone
He has a bad attitude

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Otiman wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

He is lazy
He is injury prone
He has a bad attitude
I totally see your point with Lovett but mabey a change of scenery would do him good?

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Adam Campbell – "194cm, good mark, beautiful kick, relatively new to the game "

I wouldn't have thought Freo were in a position to get rid of 194cm players who can actually play at this level.......

Would be handy if he was any good

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
esaint66
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
Carlton:
It was mentioned in The Australian last week that we were talking to him.

I'd like him to slip into our foward line for next season, he plays for the team and would be great working with Rooey and kosi. He is also a strong mark and an accurate kick.

He is also one of the only players after skinny lappin to wear the long sleeve jumper :wink: :lol:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Otiman wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

He is lazy
He is injury prone
He has a bad attitude
It is hard to rate what clubs would want for their players. I'm convinced Essendon will try and shop Lovett around for a late second rounder/early third but will be disapointed. If we could get him for our third round selection (47) I think that could work in our favour.

Ben Johnson could be similar to King/C.Gardiner last season. After Eddie's attack on his fitness midseason I don't think he is highly regarded at the Lexus Center. A nothing pick for him.

Campbell is impossible to rate. Huge potential which has really started to show in the last few games of this season. He has another season on his contract so Fremantle can chose not to trade him unless a worthy offer comes up. However if the offer doesn't come and the two parties really decide they need to split then Fremantle could also be throwing him away for a nothing pick on the terms that they don't have to pay out his contract.

If we could get some of the players on the list above and still hold onto our first two round picks then I'll be very impressed.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thompson will stay in sa
johncock will go to port i reckon
i think adelaide are sick of some of the things he has done wrong outside.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Of that list, I'd be interested in

Reilly - May cost too much
Didak - Will cost a sh!tload
Lovett - Must target him
Pettifer - Good backup option if we can't land anyone better
O'Keefe - Exactly what our forward line needs. Do EVERYTHING to get him Ross. Give Schneider back if they want
Kerr - Would be an awsome pickup but I don't know what we can give WC
Seaby - He is a quality player. Whenever Cox has been injured Seaby has done a very good job. If he's available, try to get him
Cousins - If we can't land a Didak/Kerr/O'Keefe, then throw all the remaining salary cap room at him

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Of that list, I'd be interested in

Reilly - May cost too much
Didak - Will cost a sh!tload
Lovett - Must target him
Pettifer - Good backup option if we can't land anyone better
O'Keefe - Exactly what our forward line needs. Do EVERYTHING to get him Ross. Give Schneider back if they want
Kerr - Would be an awsome pickup but I don't know what we can give WC
Seaby - He is a quality player. Whenever Cox has been injured Seaby has done a very good job. If he's available, try to get him
Cousins - If we can't land a Didak/Kerr/O'Keefe, then throw all the remaining salary cap room at him
Are we looking at any of these does any one know?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Some excellent picks there Saintbot, on the money as usual.

What is important this year though is trying to keep our top 2 picks this year.

That would mean we will have to throw in players in a package deal or even get rid of a higher rated player.

My main priorities would be
Seaby
Lovett
Cambell

I would trade a 3rd round pick for any of those three, I believe they bring something that we are lacking and like the theory went with King and Schneider last year, while they aren't super players they could make a super improvement to our best 22.

My next targets would be...
Harris
Reilly
Swallow
Selwood

I would only be willing to give a 3rd round pick for these players if there was a sweetener, such as an improvement on another pick, eg. straight swap for 2nd or 4th round picks. Or maybe even a second rounder for Harris and Swallow, but with the midfield trouble the Roos have had this year I doubt they would be willing to go for that...

The following players are quite interesting, because while they all have talent they all have deficiencies, and I doubt we would be able to get them for a 4th round pick...
Boyle
Fisher
C.Jones
Pettifer

I would take any of these for a 4th round pick or a 5th round pick and a fringe player (eg. McQualter)

It would be great to pick up any of Raines, King or Thomson but I don't think they would be worth the price expected.

I think we need to access our list and view what we need and what we have an excess of...
IMO we lack a quality back up ruckman, a third tall forward and a pacey and hardnut midfielder.

What we have excess of is outside runners who don't have too much pace and can come in and out of a game. Also running defenders that don't offer too much defensive accountability.

We may have to give up a big name this year.

Perhaps Dal Santo, Kosi or Montagna.

While Dal Santo has a massive amount of talent he is often found out with a tag, he and Reilly are similar players, if we could get Reilly and a 2nd round draft pick for Dal Santo I would have to take it.

I would also want to trade our 3rd round pick for Lovett but no more, unless it is something we could really afford to lose.

This would give us a turnover of...
IN: B.Reilly, A.Lovett, Pick 28?
OUT: Dal Santo, Pick 47?

We would also now have two second round picks as well as our first which could give us the option of going after Kerr.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Great analyses SaintBot & Armo...

Think Lovett would really be a sensational pick up. Has pace to burn and is blessed with a hell of a lot of skill. Would also contribute to the forward pressure...

Now, I would definitely go after Swallow for a 3rd round pick. Has fallen out of favour this year, but I was impressed with him in 2006 and 2007. Is a genuine hard nut and can win a fair clearance or two...

Montagna is definitely an expendable commodity IMO, as he is easily replaceable, and players like Dal and Kosi in my view can also go for the right price.

The Saints are coming!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Now, I would definitely go after Swallow for a 3rd round pick. Has fallen out of favour this year, but I was impressed with him in 2006 and 2007.
So did Fiora in '07. Doesn't mean much.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:Now, I would definitely go after Swallow for a 3rd round pick. Has fallen out of favour this year, but I was impressed with him in 2006 and 2007.
So did Fiora in '07. Doesn't mean much.
See what you're saying, but to back up my point, Swallow would actually add some depth to the midfield rotations. He led the Kangaroos tackle count last year, and averaged 4.67 tackles a game, and 14 touches a game in his 3 games this year. He's a different sort of player, he knows what a hard ball get is and can win his own footy.

The Saints are coming!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

id go for O'keefe, Having him milne schneider up there in the forward line.... would be a massive bonus and him in the midfield... id defently go for him!!!!

lovett not sure, hmmm who are we going for????? does any one know?

Saints94
SS Life Member

I would love Tim Boyle I would trade our third rd pick for him though.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:id go for O'keefe, Having him milne schneider up there in the forward line.... would be a massive bonus and him in the midfield... id defently go for him!!!!

I would love to have him in the lineup absolutely love him, but he is in Sydney's top 3 players, it would cost at least our 1st round pick to get him, and that is not something I'd be willing to part with for a 27 year old.

And nobody outside the club would know for sure who we are looking for but we can assume our priorities will be a solid mid, a medium forward and a back up ruckman, while we are also in need for a KPB we will probably save that for the draft...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:id go for O'keefe, Having him milne schneider up there in the forward line.... would be a massive bonus and him in the midfield... id defently go for him!!!!

I would love to have him in the lineup absolutely love him, but he is in Sydney's top 3 players, it would cost at least our 1st round pick to get him, and that is not something I'd be willing to part with for a 27 year old.

And nobody outside the club would know for sure who we are looking for but we can assume our priorities will be a solid mid, a medium forward and a back up ruckman, while we are also in need for a KPB we will probably save that for the draft...
I reckon we're definitely going to be gunning for a key backman in the draft...

And who says they're not able to play in their first couple of seasons? Nathan Brown and Harry Taylor would object to that theory...

The Saints are coming!
widereceiver
Club Player

Please not Fisher!!!
We already have enough forwards who are inaccurate.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar