Lets get serious about these 3 players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just like Geelong a couple of years earlier, some of those young Hawks players out there last Saturday were all just finding their over the last couple of years, similar to Eddy, Armo, Allen, Gwilt, Raph, McEvoy and McQ. We need to build around a core of young players and the future will look a lot brighter. We just need to recruit a couple more strong bodies with a bit of leg speed.

NoMore
Club Player

i am sick of people defending Mini. He is a first round pick and has delivered nothing. He is a tagger who doesn't really stop all that well. And i doubt going on recent form he even knows what a football looks like. Surely in 120 mins of AFL u could accidently stumble across the ball a few times. Not Mini he is a 1 dimensional PLODDER.

As for Eddy can't really see an upside to him at all. Unskilled, Slow, Poor Mark and a bad kick for goal. Don't really know whether he reads the play all that well either.

Look i liked Fiora but i have finally fallen into line with everyone else. Delist him. surely if all the members put in $10 we can delist him.

I also think we are wasting our time with Rix, Ferguson, Howard, Gardener(who is no better than swarze in fact may actually be worse), Attard is hopeless. And i am not sure about whether jarryd allen will make it.

Can't believe Armo wasn't given more time in the midfield considering next year we will be desparete for at least one more mid with harvey retiring. Lyon needed to start blooding midfielders.

For yet another year Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Harvey and Montagna have carried a midfield that lacks depth through shear hard work. Any idiot could see we need extra mids.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

NoMore wrote:i am sick of people defending Mini. He is a first round pick and has delivered nothing. He is a tagger who doesn't really stop all that well. And i doubt going on recent form he even knows what a football looks like. Surely in 120 mins of AFL u could accidently stumble across the ball a few times. Not Mini he is a 1 dimensional PLODDER.

As for Eddy can't really see an upside to him at all. Unskilled, Slow, Poor Mark and a bad kick for goal. Don't really know whether he reads the play all that well either.

Look i liked Fiora but i have finally fallen into line with everyone else. Delist him. surely if all the members put in $10 we can delist him.

I also think we are wasting our time with Rix, Ferguson, Howard, Gardener(who is no better than swarze in fact may actually be worse), Attard is hopeless. And i am not sure about whether jarryd allen will make it.

Can't believe Armo wasn't given more time in the midfield considering next year we will be desparete for at least one more mid with harvey retiring. Lyon needed to start blooding midfielders.

For yet another year Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Harvey and Montagna have carried a midfield that lacks depth through shear hard work. Any idiot could see we need extra mids.
Spot on!

However knowing this WHY OH WHY would we recruit Ben Mcevoy, when there was a Palmer or Rioli available...

Our Recruiting is killing Any chance we have of contending.

Red
Club Player

Steph, the problem with Eddy and the marking contest, but the guy who

kicked so high and slow and Eddy had to stand under it.

Eddy did nothing wrong, he didn't pull out of the contest, what more was

he to do.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Eddy - young guy, will learn the toughness to stay on his feet - I think they see a future B Goddard. Definitely keep.
Goddard is a great player because of his phenomenal long kicking, ability to read the play, his imposing frame and his strong overhead marking. Eddy has none of those features.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:
NoMore wrote:i am sick of people defending Mini. He is a first round pick and has delivered nothing. He is a tagger who doesn't really stop all that well. And i doubt going on recent form he even knows what a football looks like. Surely in 120 mins of AFL u could accidently stumble across the ball a few times. Not Mini he is a 1 dimensional PLODDER.

Spot on!

However knowing this WHY OH WHY would we recruit Ben Mcevoy, when there was a Palmer or Rioli available...

Our Recruiting is killing Any chance we have of contending.
Errrrrr... coz we didn't have any reasonable ruckmen? :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

its time to go.......fizzy
no good.

eddy....keep.
ok skills arent ablett like but skills can be developed, give him another year and let him find a spot and work on those skills.

mini....hmmm, have to say more gone than keep
seems to be a tagger and thats it
had a good chance now, tough call but...gone

um yeah we took big ben because we had no ruck depth, and when u have hayes, ball, joey, BJ, dal...youd think u could get away with not recruiting a mid.
right call to get a ruckman.....at that time

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

my basic rule is dont trade or delist anyone under 23.

but x, fizzer, kosi, l fischer and m gardner are in big trouble.

we also need a ruckman really badly so cross our fingers for mcevoy.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:It's a disgrace that Fiora is still at the club. Absolutely astonishing....
Agreed. Why he came in for the game on Saturday I'll never know... Don't know what Birssy did to get so far out of favour?

The Saints are coming!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:It's a disgrace that Fiora is still at the club. Absolutely astonishing....
Agreed. Why he came in for the game on Saturday I'll never know... Don't know what Birssy did to get so far out of favour?
he is in contract for 2009 so he cant be delisted. :roll: :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

s*** :evil:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:he is in contract for 2009 so he cant be delisted. :roll: :roll:
Can be delisted but we still have to pay out his contract, which still counts in the salary cap.

rama35
Club Player

Re: Lets get serious about these 3 players

steph wrote:Eddy, Mini and Fiora

Unfortunately, we can't win preliminary finals, with these 3 in the team

Regarding Mini and Eddy, the kids bust their guts, they run hard, they follow instructions and give it their all. But at the end of the day, they just aren't up to it.

The hawks and the cats don't have players in their side as bad as these guys.

Fiora: couldn't believe he was playing a prelim final, particularly after his performance for the scorps last week. We were actually joking about it before the game and then our nightmare came true. The hawks totally bullied us, and are far more aggressive at both the player and the ball. Fiora doesnt have an aggressive bone in his body.

Decisions have to be made. Fiora and Mini MUST be delisted. Eddy will probably be persisted with cos he's first yr. However, he's definitely not going to make it.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, they have been triers and battlers all yr. I'm fed up with triers. we need winners.
Think Eddy has some ability but the other two should go,fiora has disapointed me for a long time.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

We have alot of tenacious players, and not enough talented players... You need tenacity as an addative, not as the main weapon...

Mini, Eddy, CJ, Attard are all good tryers, but lack big time in the talent stakes, and this is much harder to develop...

When we have the ball, all our payers have to be able to hurt the opposition... None of these guys do this often enough, if at all... The only exception is possibly CJ, as he has great pace and can run and carry... Doesnt happen much though...

As for Fiora... My god, when will we be put out of our misery... Just get rid of him once and for all...

I cannot belive he was selected for the prelim final after his obnoxious action in the Scorpions loss the week before, when he threw the ball in his opponants head after the final siren... Just a losers mentality..

steph
Club Player

Red wrote:Steph, the problem with Eddy and the marking contest, but the guy who

kicked so high and slow and Eddy had to stand under it.

Eddy did nothing wrong, he didn't pull out of the contest, what more was

he to do.

jump off one foot for a start. he looked like a cheerleader jumping off both feet, arms totally outstretched not even having his hands in the right position to mark the ball. just show us you have ONE ounce of skill and something to develop. we lack class big time. eddy falls into this category. therefore he is of no use.

rexy
SS Life Member

Personally think that Eddy is is on the verge of a break through game. He runs hard and to the right spots, sticks tackles and never gives up. A couple of marks stick and a couple of goals sail through in the same match and I think we could see a shot of confidence that will make him a good player.

Maybe this year?
Megamaguire
Club Player

"We need to get better at identifying junior talent&quo

I Agree.
This is one vital area the football dept. or recruiting dept. (?) can work @
The neglect of absent investment under Butters may be coming home to roost. Look everywhere and find some class youngsters please!

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
axcellence
Club Player

Fiora has been Lyon's lucky charm... he was brought in against Sydney in 2005 prelim.

So... he has been brought in again at prelim stage against hawthorn....

Truly a quality player who delivers in big games.

JohnE
Club Player

FFS give the young blokes some time! Flick Fiora, but maybe Mini was just doing what RL wanted him to do? Concentrate on the shut-down and not worry about getting possessions, who knows? Development takes time...

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Nice to see a female supporter taking the hard line on players.

Usually it's, "awww I love Fizz he's so cute, he tries his guts out and he signed my guernsey and was so sweet I love him awwww"

Badlands
Club Player

I have to say I agree with Steph on this one. If anything I would have gone further. And Steph is spot on when she says it's nowt to do with effort or determination, simply a matter of ability. I look at a number of our guys coming through and really wonder whether they are going to make it.

Disappointing as Saturday night was, and I can assure you I'm not talking through my kick, but I commented to some of my hawks mates this week not to get too carried away about their chances on the weekend based on sat night's result because we had at minimum seven people in our starting line-up on saturday who in my opinon really are borderline as to whether they are up to AFL standard let alone finals standard (Fiora, Eddy, Jones, Gilbert, McQualter, Gwilt and Armitage).

Granted some of these guys are very young and deserve to be given more time. But not all of them. I don't want to be accused of hating on our guys because im not. I respect them all for their efforts. But i do think it is testament to our core group of players that we were able to get so far with a list featuring a number of players who really are yet to prove themselves at AFL level.

I for one am gravely concerned about our immediate future. I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, much as it saddens me to say it. Will be intrigued to see what we do in the off season.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
ctqs
Club Player

Mini and Eddy wouldn't be playing if Bakes and Dempster were fit. Eddy is a kid and still developing. He's done well. Mini has been there a little while now and has already dodged one bullet. Fiora is "built" like a rouge elephant but doesn't play that way. He needs to go. I can't understand why Birss wasn't in. Was he carrying an injury?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
saints11
Club Player

Eddy is a great tackler so we should keep him

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Eddy, as I have said before (possibly in this thread) will put some muscle on over summer, and this will allow him to win a lot more contested ball, 1 on 1. He is good in a pack situation, but 1 on 1 he is outbodied far too easily, especially in marking contests.

Has it between the ears, but not in the body (yet). Geary is in the same boat. Both will be a part of St. Kilda for years to come.

NoMore
Club Player

People keep saying eddy runs to the right spots. Where is the proof of this. It certainly isn't in his many quality possesions.

Mini and Eddy are both talentless hacks which is sad because from all reports Mini was an extremely talented junior who has had the talent sapped out of him at AFL level.

But they both continue to get full games mean while guys that actually show a bit of promise like Armo and Birss languish in the 2nds for most of the year.

It has me beat.

By the way the rumours coming out of St Kilda already suggest the club regrets its choice of McEnvoy. Which means we wasted a good quality pick. Mind you anytime u pick a ruckmen in the first round there is a good chance u have wasted a pickl. Ruckmen don't mature till they are mid to late 20's so how do u know how good they will be at 18. Complete waste.

Should take best available not take the best available that suits us.

Rioli would have looked good alongside Milne, Schnieder and Roo