2006 draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral2
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:spiral2 i was just comparing him to other players in the draft which have had exactly the same opportunities and have showed more than him. i hope he turns out the best out of all of them but i just don't see that happening.

he has performed very well throughout casey this year but could not make our forward line with it not functioning properly. it is good to show form in the seconds but when we are lacking forward options and he is not getting selected there is something wrong.
fair enough, you may be right but too early to call IMO.

don't forget that he was injured for a good portion of 2007, which limited his experience compared to some of the others listed, had a limited preseason (I think), is a KPP (slower development than mids), didn't play in a bottom 4 side (so harder to break into senior side) and was selected to play in a prelim final

give him a couple more years and then judge him

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It's a shame we didn't have Brisbane's recruiting staff in 2006, then we could have had Albert Proud, Chris Schmidt, James Hawksley, Matt Tyler & Sam Sheldon.
Or maybe Carlton could have put us onto Shaun Hampson, Shaun Grigg, Mark Austin, Joe Anderson & Clint Benjamin.
Fremantle obviously knew something when they selected Slayton Collard, Brock O'Brien & Calib Mourish.
And if only we'd picked Daniel O'Keefe, Daniel Currie, Peter Faulks and Jesse White before the Swans we'd have won the flag this year.
Drafting is a lottery. No matter how much preparation you do or much knowledge you have of a certain player nobody knows how good an 18 year old will be in 10 years. The only certainty is that the more picks you use the greater your chances of selecting a good 'un somewhere along the line.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway.....2006 was JB's last year.

From the 2007 draft we have been in new hands....with the new guy getting his second draft coming up.

I reckon he did ok with his first batch...though unfortunately his rookies went down with injury.

We should know about his call next year in taking the bottom age Steven...but he looks the goods.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

remboy wrote: Drafting is a lottery. No matter how much preparation you do or much knowledge you have of a certain player nobody knows how good an 18 year old will be in 10 years. The only certainty is that the more picks you use the greater your chances of selecting a good 'un somewhere along the line.
Exactly. everything after the second round is pretty much pure luck or you have been hiding the talent away in the bush somewhere.
The main difference I think between the really good talent spotters and the rest. Is getting your head out of the spreadsheets of AIS fitness reports, and seeing the grunt, determination and attitude of the individual on the field.
Of the "smokeys" mentioned, Sweeney and Gwilt...
1 had the record on the board, talent to be the next Milne.
the other had the determination to make it at AFL level.

Seeya
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Who is to say it's not the draft, but the lack of development structures in place at clubs like Freo.