Cousins to announce preferred club tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

On the subject of Tenace

Although we have a King, and a Queen (in JLH), I'd really only want to trade for Tenace if we could also snare Jack from the Swans.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:On the subject of Tenace

Although we have a King, and a Queen (in JLH), I'd really only want to trade for Tenace if we could also snare Jack from the Swans.
Now that's a nice run.... good work MB

casey scorp
Club Player

Judd was out of contract with WCE at the end of 2007. He was always going to Carlton. It was done through a trade arrangment because, otherwise, he would have been at the mercy of the draft. WCE could have held firm, and not done a deal with Carlton but then Judd would have been in the draft and WCE would have got nothing for him. WCE would not have let that happen.

Kerr, on the other hand, is a completely different scenario. His contract still has a year to run. He cannot nominate for the draft. So a better deal can be demanded by WCE. If it all falls through, they've still got Kerr. Not bad compensation for the negotiations failing!

Cousins has to go into the draft. He can nominate his preferred club (as Plugger did when he made his comeback with Sydney). No-one has to respect it (in Plugger's case it would have been a wasted choice by anyone other than Sydney because Plugger wasn't going to move). In Cousin's case, it's likely that he will play wherever he's selected because he wants to get back into AFL.

On Cousins, my initial view was that we don't want him. But I think (hope) he's cleaned up his act, and our midfield which was once the envy of other clubs has stagnated badly - partly because of Ball's long term injury.

I now think it would be great if somehow he found his way to us in the PSD.

timtam
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:Judd was out of contract with WCE at the end of 2007. He was always going to Carlton. It was done through a trade arrangment because, otherwise, he would have been at the mercy of the draft. WCE could have held firm, and not done a deal with Carlton but then Judd would have been in the draft and WCE would have got nothing for him. WCE would not have let that happen.

Kerr, on the other hand, is a completely different scenario. His contract still has a year to run. He cannot nominate for the draft. So a better deal can be demanded by WCE. If it all falls through, they've still got Kerr. Not bad compensation for the negotiations failing!

Cousins has to go into the draft. He can nominate his preferred club (as Plugger did when he made his comeback with Sydney). No-one has to respect it (in Plugger's case it would have been a wasted choice by anyone other than Sydney because Plugger wasn't going to move). In Cousin's case, it's likely that he will play wherever he's selected because he wants to get back into AFL.

On Cousins, my initial view was that we don't want him. But I think (hope) he's cleaned up his act, and our midfield which was once the envy of other clubs has stagnated badly - partly because of Ball's long term injury.

I now think it would be great if somehow he found his way to us in the PSD.
I knew there was something where he basically got to 'call the shots', just couldn't remember what it was. He DID have WCE over a barrel. Even though he would have been at the mercy of the draft, the same scenario I mentioned previously shows that the draft CAN be manipulated. Had he thrown himself into the draft, once again, 15 clubs would not have touched him due to his *cough* strong preference for Carlton. WCE had to deal with Carlton or risk getting nothing. At no stage did I mention he wouldn't play football. That was never going to happen, but have no fear that Judd was never going to go anywhere that he did not want to!

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

It depends on which game we're playing....

With Kane, we'd already be a winner in Blackjack.... 8-)

derby Street
Club Player

Getting back to the original post - Is Benny Cousins advising his preferred club tomorrow or as the Hun stated whether he was going to play next year?

Hate to see people disappointed if the Ch 7 interview doesn't actually say much ! :D

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:

It depends on which game we're playing....

With Kane, we'd already be a winner in Blackjack.... 8-)
Good point. But we'd be losers in terms of contract (bridge, that is)

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Anybody know what time Cousins is due to make the announcement on 7 ?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't know which Club Cousins will announce...

But The Swans pick before the Pies...and the Pies pick before the saints.

so we are at least third in line...and it only takes one pick to get him.

Don't discount the Swans...they love grabiing "instant" ready to play good players.

The swans disavantage will be convincing Cousins to come to Sydney.

But with Cousins in the PSD = cheap pick....if a club thinks they have a shake at the flag in the next couple of years they will grab him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I don't know which Club Cousins will announce...

Don't discount the Swans...they love grabiing "instant" ready to play good players.

But with Cousins in the PSD = cheap pick....if a club thinks they have a shake at the flag in the next couple of years they will grab him.
I just reckon with a player like Cousins no one is going to take a punt because I think he will make it pretty obvious who he will play with. I know it is only one pick but there are hardly any examples of players going to clubs that the player didnt want to go to.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

alstar wrote:The club also needs to take into account what we require to go that extra step.
We need a sesoned mid-fielder who can break the lines.
Ben Cousins ticks all thse boxes plus hes won a premiership!
michael voss has 3 premierships, doesn't mean he's going to be playing next season.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I just reckon with a player like Cousins no one is going to take a punt because I think he will make it pretty obvious who he will play with. I know it is only one pick but there are hardly any examples of players going to clubs that the player didnt want to go to.
You may be right..but Nick Stevens is a Blue and not a Pie.

But who knows....maybe Cousins is announcing his Club of Choice because he knows that others could pick him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

who is on what in WA,??????
West Coast assistant coach Peter Sumich has made the extraordinary claim that both he and coach John Worsfold would ask the club's board to allow disgraced AFL champion Ben Cousins back at the Eagles should the players push for the former skipper's return. >>>
Sumich admitted there was probably "no chance" West Coast's board would allow Cousins to return but said he would love to see the 238-game veteran finish his career at the Eagles.

"It has been discussed at our club . . . and myself and John would have Ben back at the club," Sumich told 6PR's Footy on the Road panel audience.
http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/sumi ... -4o61.html
_______________________________----
found it interesting that Woosha was quite denigrating to MG when he played over there during the year
BUT they are ready to forgive and forget for benny?????
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 27 Sep 2008 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:who is on what in WA,??????
West Coast assistant coach Peter Sumich has made the extraordinary claim that both he and coach John Worsfold would ask the club's board to allow disgraced AFL champion Ben Cousins back at the Eagles should the players push for the former skipper's return. >>>
Sumich admitted there was probably "no chance" West Coast's board would allow Cousins to return but said he would love to see the 238-game veteran finish his career at the Eagles.

"It has been discussed at our club . . . and myself and John would have Ben back at the club," Sumich told 6PR's Footy on the Road panel audience.

found it interesting that Woosha was quieet denigrating to MG when he played over there during the year
BUT they are ready to forgive and forget for benny?????
Hope so.

Let them have him. They deserve him.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Because he's not cronically injured

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I think Ben has already said (or it has been announced) that Ben wanted to come to Melbourne to return to footy.

Dont think playing for Sydney counts...

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Can we read anything into the fact he is announcing his preferred club on Channel 7 tomorrow? Surely if he was going to the Pies he would be announcing it on channel 9.
Channel 7 out-bidded Channel 9 for the announcement.
And the announcement will be delayed by an hour then have ad breaks every 3o seconds just like their broadcast.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Any idea what time the announcement will be on?

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

n1ck wrote:Any idea what time the announcement will be on?
Since it is on 7 it will be 15 minutes after the scheduled time.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Pies pick before the Swans. Finished lower on the ladder and knocked out at the same stage.

But I don't think anyone will take a gamble on Cousins unless he is 100% committed to playing for them.

uncle joe
Club Player

He will be 31 ( ? ) next year , hasn't had any footy for 2 seasons and has had huge personal problems . Which means to me that he won't be the player he was by a long shot . Also if he nominats a club and is taken by someboy else , Will the same motivation to play at his best all the time be there ?? If he nominates us , fine , but don't expect him to be as good as he was in the past . If he wants to go somewhere else , forget him !

sax
Club Player

It's unlikely he'll announce any club today.
Read this.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Segment on the future of BC9 coming up on ch7 after the break.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

no decision
not registered

His doco will gain momentum as he delays till al the boxes ticekd and the book is published :roll:
part two hamish- now now don't be precious.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

*Has enjoyed his time away from the game

*Feels that integrating himself back into the workforce is a big part of overcoming addiction

*Would have liked to stay a one club player, but knew that WCE had to move on - as did he

*Hasnt had the opportunity yet to hold concrete talks with any club yet, still has to go through all the processes set by the AFL

Is speaking very well, open and honest - no more smugness or arrogance. Very impressive so far, IMO.