Tim Lane at it again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Tim Lane at it again

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/t ... 92519.html

Still trying to get Goddard rubbed out.

Get over it Tim. He's never going to play for Carlton.

Nobody knows where or how Goddard made contact with Mitchell because of Channel 10's incompetence. They only showed two replays.

One from behind Goddard which doesn't show the point of contact but does show Goddard's unclenched hand following through.

The other from behind Mitchell which also doesn't show the point of contact but clearly shows Mitchell's head being crashed into by Brett Renouf's elbow as he goes past. The commentary team were too busy trying to nail Goddard to notice the contact from Renouf despite the multiple replays.

The view that would have either convicted or cleared Goddard was from side on. Less than a second before the incident they cut away from a close up view to a long shot. If you are really interested in the truth, find that footage Tim.

But as you have proven time and time again, with your feeble attempts at putting down our club, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Tribunal's double standards

Tim Lane | September 28, 2008

GRAND final week is a seductive time. This year, there have been two Victorian clubs to talk about for the first time in eight years, the perfect formula of an established champion still at its peak facing a rapidly rising contender, the galaxy of stars and the lingering magic of 1989. So blinding has been the hype that a most extraordinary outcome from the AFL judicial system raised little more than a chuckle.

We come to expect controversy at this time of year, partly because the judicial bar seems to be placed at a different height from week to week. The AFL confirmed again on Thursday that it metes out varying levels of justice according to the stage on which crimes are committed. Grand final misdemeanours, according to the AFL Tribunal chairman, will be judged twice as harshly by the match review process as those committed during the rest of the season.

This is done, in part, to limit the possibility of violent incidents on the game's major showpiece occasion. It is also an understandable means of deterrence, within a football code that has long refused to embrace the order-off rule in a winner-take-all game. One wonders, though, whether there is an unspoken dilution factor for penalties incurred in preliminary finals. These, of course, are the games that determine who will and won't perform on the showpiece day.

How many games would St Kilda's Brendon Goddard have missed had his hit on Hawk Sam Mitchell in the third quarter of last Saturday night's preliminary final occurred yesterday?

Well, it's simple. The match review panel's finding last Monday assessed the offence as being worth 125 points before a 25% discount for an early plea, so Goddard would have drawn 250 points, reduced to 187.5. He would, thus, have incurred a one-week penalty. Not.

Goddard stood toe-to-toe with Mitchell and decked him with a crude, forceful right. Mitchell went down and stayed down for some time. He wasn't quite as dazed as West Coast's Brent Staker during a certain game in Sydney earlier this year, but had it been a boxing match, he wouldn't have required the eight to be mandatory, and he might not have beaten the referee's count. The incident was captured by two Channel Ten's cameras. A replay reveals the blow landing at approximately 13 minutes 40 seconds on the countdown clock, Mitchell still lying senseless at 13:33, and climbing unsteadily to his feet at about 13:30.

I was moved to raise the question during the commentary as to how the football world would have responded had it been Barry Hall who delivered that blow. I'm sure the answer is there would have been uproar. My broadcasting colleague, Robert Walls, took the view that Goddard would be missing a number of matches at the start of next season, while Mike Sheahan, his Monday night partner on Fox Sports' On the Couch, likened the blow to something that might have been delivered on TV Ringside in the early 1970s by Kahu Mahanga. Sheahan also described the AFL match review panel as "the comedy festival".

Obviously, the panel wants every one of its judgements to be respected, yet how is one to remain respectful of this sort of outcome? The panel didn't even get the quarter right, referring in its assessment to the incident having occurred in the fourth quarter. It assessed the impact of the contact as low, yet Mitchell was still groggy at the count of seven and in the act of regaining his feet at 10. The panel also assessed the contact as being to the body and, yes, I suppose it was: to the head of the body.

About 700,000 people watched the game on television. Does the match review panel and the AFL care that so many have been treated as though they are blind? And do they care about the confused, self-interested message they send out to the same public they like to present themselves to as a socially aware and responsible organisation? What if parents were equally opportunistic in the way they apply discipline within their families? What are those who dispense justice for the AFL saying in delivering such lenient outcomes one week, then tougher than normal ones the next, according to circumstances?

Actually, what they are saying is easily understood and perfectly clear. They are telling us that at the pointy end of the season, it's not the rules that count, all that counts is image and marketability.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Lane is a self-righteous little squib because, I suspect (at least in part), his daughter is infinitely more interesting.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Lane is a self-righteous little squib because, I suspect (at least in part), his daughter is infinitely more interesting.
She is way more interesting....at least that's what Melbourne Storm reckon.

just a joke....let's not get too excited

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

but goddard nailed mitchell and how he espcaped a ban (although he did the early plea) is rather interesting...good for us but poor overall

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
hotdish
Club Player

I can't believe the hate for certain journos on this forum.

What he wrote is correct - the tribunal is inconsistent and Goddard got away with murder. Although the vision is inconclusive, Goddard forcefully wacked Mitchell - he could have got 4 weeks easy if the vision was clear...

He's just telling it like it is...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Thinline wrote:Lane is a self-righteous little squib because, I suspect (at least in part), his daughter is infinitely more interesting.
She is way more interesting....at least that's what Melbourne Storm reckon.

just a joke....let's not get too excited
:roll:
why dont u ask Sam herself

my les foote
Club Player

hotdish wrote:I can't believe the hate for certain journos on this forum.

What he wrote is correct - the tribunal is inconsistent and Goddard got away with murder. Although the vision is inconclusive, Goddard forcefully wacked Mitchell - he could have got 4 weeks easy if the vision was clear...

That's the whole point.

The MRP can't convict someone on what might have been seen if the vision was clear.

Channel 10 could have produced the vision, but they failed. And a Channel 10 commentator blames the MRP!

Win it for HIM!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:
hotdish wrote:I can't believe the hate for certain journos on this forum.

That's the whole point.

The MRP can't convict someone on what might have been seen if the vision was clear.

Channel 10 could have produced the vision, but they failed. And a Channel 10 commentator blames the MRP!
Correct MLF.
If there was 'vision' of BJ 'punching' Mitchell and him 'getting off' from the MRP then Lane would have a basisi for his article.
Essentially he is having a go at teh MRP for letting BJ off because there is no vision f the actual incident. He would seem to be criticising the MRP for not 'guessing' what axctually occured rather than going by teh 'evidence' tendered.

I don't recall him writing any critical commentary piece(s) when Baker was given 4 matches without any vision of his incident, so therefore he would seem to be a supporter of convicting players on a 'hunch' in the absence of 'real evidence'.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I think we have enough credits in the bank with the tribunal after blundered decisions in the past to let this one ride. Gehrig, Baker and Kosi (to name a few) must be left scratching their head at times in regards to decisions where other players have gotten off and when they had to serve 1+ weeks for the same indiscretions.

As for Tim Lane, must have been a slow news week for him. Surprising considering it was Grand Final week. Maybe they don't rate him highly enough to cover the Grand Final week so he was left searching for something else to write about...... :D :D

BakesFan
SS Life Member

my les foote wrote: That's the whole point.

True les; but you can bet if a Carlton player ever finds himself in a similar situation, that same Channel 10 commentator would defend him.

Commentators change their opinions like they do their underwear.
A commentator suggesting inconsistentcy by the MRP is the height of hypocrisy.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the tribunal felt they owed us one after the Barry Hall fiasco.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Should Ch 10 think about sacking Dim for highlighting their incompetence? !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Build a brideg people

C.mon..have a look at the footage. BJ got him and was pretty lucky to get away with it. If it had been Mitchell hitting BJ we'd all be screaming that he got to play yesterday.

I agree that the MRP are inconsistant, badly so, but the OP suggestion that Tim Lane singled this out just cos BJ is at Kilda and not his beloved Carlton is just laughable. Sometimes this "any journo how has anything negative to say about St Kilda is scum (and ugly if they happen to be female :roll: is very irritating

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BallBanger
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Build a brideg people

C.mon..have a look at the footage. BJ got him and was pretty lucky to get away with it. If it had been Mitchell hitting BJ we'd all be screaming that he got to play yesterday.

I agree that the MRP are inconsistant, badly so, but the OP suggestion that Tim Lane singled this out just cos BJ is at Kilda and not his beloved Carlton is just laughable. Sometimes this "any journo how has anything negative to say about St Kilda is scum (and ugly if they happen to be female :roll: is very irritating
Where was tim when baker got seven for blocking?
Where was tim when baker got three for attemted striking?
etc etc etc

hotdish
Club Player

my les foote wrote: The MRP can't convict someone on what might have been seen if the vision was clear.
S Baker and Farmer lol

my les foote
Club Player

hotdish wrote:
my les foote wrote: The MRP can't convict someone on what might have been seen if the vision was clear.
S Baker and Farmer lol
That wasn't the MRP.

Win it for HIM!
my les foote
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Build a brideg people

Maybe you can point out at what time in this youtube clip you actually see the contact.

There obviously is contact, but we don't see what part of Goddard makes contact with what part of Mitchell.

Tim Lane NEVER has anything positive to say about the Saints. He has gone on record to say he feels uncomfortable that the Saints are doing better than the Blues. That was a few years ago now. He still feels the need to scratch that itch every now and again.

Win it for HIM!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we all know that lane is a saint hating areshole......like the rest of his mates down at scummer land.....

look at this piece of nonsense from the article.....

"About 700,000 people watched the game on television. Does the match review panel and the AFL care that so many have been treated as though they are blind? And do they care about the confused, self-interested message they send out to the same public they like to present themselves to as a socially aware and responsible organisation? What if parents were equally opportunistic in the way they apply discipline within their families? What are those who dispense justice for the AFL saying in delivering such lenient outcomes one week, then tougher than normal ones the next, according to circumstances?'

i watched the tape..........several times...the incident was replayed from at least two different angles.......i didn't see goddard connect with mitchell....now i'm sure he did...but just where....god only knows...nor was mithell dazed..as far as i could see.....bj wiped te silly smirk from his face..but that's about all........looks worse in the youtube clip than it actually was....in the close up, mitchell just looks........well..... normal....

one day i hope to run into the prick....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Have I missed it?
How was Tim Lane's article this morning in The Age lambasting the MRP decision to clear Sam Mitchell?

JeffDunne

Tim Lane has a point re: Goddard, but like most AFL journo's he'd too caught up in his own bias and self-importance to report what the real story is (or to even identify it)

The MRP is not an independent review panel - it's simply yet another tool the AFL uses to manipulate perceptions and results.

Had St Kilda won, the Goddard incident would have been big news and you can bet your left knacker the AFL would have ensured a suspension (those of you with a left knacker). That's not to suggest an anti-St Kilda or pro-Geelong conspiracy (although the umpiring on Saturday has me rethinking that one), but rather the AFL's PR machine kicking into gear.

It's why he wasn't suspended.

The AFL had no interest in highlighting negatives in their biggest week.

Football supporters are being conned and people like Tim Lane make it so much easier for the AFL to keep doing the conning.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Just on Tim Lane, I think it's all a bit historical with him.

I heard him say some time ago that when he was in primary school in Tassie, he was the only one the class that didn't barrack for the Saints.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="my les foote"]
Maybe you can point out at what time in this youtube clip you actually see the contact.

There obviously is contact, but we don't see what part of Goddard makes contact with what part of Mitchell.[/quote]

I have downloaded this clip using "keepvid" and played back in Quicktime Player so I can freeze each frame.

In both camera angles the view is obscured. Unless Mitchell says he ..... or Goddard says I ..............., there is no useable evidence.

I remember Fraser Gehrig being reported by the umpire for striking Gavin Wanganeen and Wankers going down for a 10 count.

The commentators had Gehrig hung drawn and quartered. Only problem was a different replay angle showed Gehrig missing Wankers head by a foot.

Wankers had given yet another Oscar and goal winning performance so it never went to the tribunal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08