Did we shoot ourselves in the foot with Tassie ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Did we shoot ourselves in the foot with Tassie ?

With all the current media talk on how we made a mistake giving away Tassie I've been thinking of the pros and cons.

Hawthorn think it has been a great move by them to take up where we left off.
They say they have 6000 members from Tassie alone.
But is Tassie just another major sponsor ?
If there is a Tassie side i would think most would jump from hawthorn to the new Tassie side.

We never seemed to play well down there and the negative effect on the year's ladder position outweighs the dollar gain from a sponsor that we could gain staying in Melbourne.

I'm not sure the Tassie government's sponsorship has a lot to do with Hawthorn's success this year.

From what I've heard on the radio this week the Hawks are rubbing our noses in it over this.

Thoughts anyone ?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Massive mistake....by a short-sighted board...

StK are the most supported club in Tas, our attendences outweighed Hawthorn.

We were more concerned about short term wins, rather than long term benefits...they are quite rightfully laughing......

what would have been better, is showing some mental toughness and learning how to win away from home....finals are NOT played at our HG.

To think most ignorant Saintsational forumites were loving it when we dumped tassie :roll:

GrumpyOne

BigMart wrote:....finals are NOT played at our HG.
Could be..... but definately will not be played in Tassie.

There was no advantage to us in playing in Tassie, and there still isn't.

Tas Govt was never going to sponsor two teams.

Hawk fans have been on the p1ss..... take no notice. Talking bullsh1t.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm sort of thinking along the same lines as you grumpyone.

So what have actually thrown away considering all thoughts.
Some extra membership
Possibly extra dollars from the Tassie govt compared to Jeld Wen but maybe not. Not sure on the dollar comparison there.
Experience playing away from home.Not sure exactly how beneficial that is

Hawthorn's recent success hasn't really come from the Tassie link. That was a work in progress over years. Many of the extra members jumping on would have been purely from the onfield success I believe.

It's curious to know whether we have made a mistake as I'd hope for future opportunities we have the foresight to grab the chances when we can.

I think Hawthorn's gloating about the Tassie connection is more just a way for them to keep the Tassie Government happy with their decision to sponsor them rather than a tangible contribution to the flag.

GrumpyOne

howlinwolf wrote:I'm sort of thinking along the same lines as you grumpyone.

So what have actually thrown away considering all thoughts.
Some extra membership
Possibly extra dollars from the Tassie govt compared to Jeld Wen but maybe not. Not sure on the dollar comparison there.
Experience playing away from home.Not sure exactly how beneficial that is

Hawthorn's recent success hasn't really come from the Tassie link. That was a work in progress over years. Many of the extra members jumping on would have been purely from the onfield success I believe.

It's curious to know whether we have made a mistake as I'd hope for future opportunities we have the foresight to grab the chances when we can.

I think Hawthorn's gloating about the Tassie connection is more just a way for them to keep the Tassie Government happy with their decision to sponsor them rather than a tangible contribution to the flag.
No way have we made a mistake Howlin.

We are far better off sourcing the Mornington Peninsula than Tassie any day.

Political sponsorships are just that.... political.

Sooner or later some Pollie down Tassie will whinge about the $$$$ going to a football club and not for homeless trees or similar, and there goes the sponsorship.

Hawks euphoria is purely about winning the premiership.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

As I said in another thread, hind sight is a wonderful thing. Everyone was screeming we get out of Tassie, so no use complaining about it now. But I agree with the other thread, making the peninusula our area is the way to go. And don't forget Tassie still want their own team not Hawthorn.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our main tie with Tassie and always will be, is the great Saints who came from there.

Baldock, Stewart, Howell, Bingley, and that is just the 66 Premisership team.
At present we have Roo, who is a Tasmanian who spent a few years in Queensland.
I would like to see us continue this tie. There are a few Tassy kids worth picking up this year. Mitch Robinso, Aaron Cornelius, Bart McCulloch, Tom Allwright, and Liam Jones, son of former Saint, Bob.

bob__71
Club Player

Tassie got ditched because Melbourne supporters are more important than any of the other supporters in Australia.

People who support StKilda from other parts of the nation dont count.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:evil:

santazzi
Club Player

Yes we did!!!!! I expressed my profound displeasure on this forum then as I do now...............We did not win a lot because the AFL kept on setting us up againest our boggy teams like Port and Dockers at York Park....................

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

bob__71 wrote:Tassie got ditched because Melbourne supporters are more important than any of the other supporters in Australia.

People who support StKilda from other parts of the nation dont count.
Thats a bit harsh. If you ignore interstate people you do the club out of alot of money.

I think you would find most people that live interstate want ST Kilda's home to be in Melbourne. Thats not to say if we can get the opportunity to see an extra game we wouldn't like it.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What do u reckon?

I don't think so

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did we shoot ourselves in the foot with Tassie ?

howlinwolf wrote:With all the current media talk on how we made a mistake giving away Tassie I've been thinking of the pros and cons.

Hawthorn think it has been a great move by them to take up where we left off.
They say they have 6000 members from Tassie alone.
But is Tassie just another major sponsor ?
If there is a Tassie side i would think most would jump from hawthorn to the new Tassie side.

We never seemed to play well down there and the negative effect on the year's ladder position outweighs the dollar gain from a sponsor that we could gain staying in Melbourne.

I'm not sure the Tassie government's sponsorship has a lot to do with Hawthorn's success this year.

From what I've heard on the radio this week the Hawks are rubbing our noses in it over this.

Thoughts anyone ?
Absolutely not.

11 home games should mean 11 home games.