M.Gardiner to Claremont?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

M.Gardiner to Claremont?

from Real footy 4th October:

St Kilda ruckman Michael Gardiner has told Claremont that he would love to finish his playing career with the Tigers.

But the marriage between the injury-prone ruckman and a club desperate to inject some experience into its line-up will remain unarranged until Gardiner's future with the Saints is clarified.

The 29-year-old former West Coast star is out of contract and after just nine matches in two seasons with the Saints, is in danger of being delisted.

A St Kilda spokesman said no decision would be made on Gardiner, who started with Claremont in 1996, until after the club returned from a two-week end-of-season trip.

If Gardiner is delisted, Claremont might have to wait until after AFL trade week and perhaps the pre-season draft before being able to deal with him.

Claremont chief executive Todd Shimmon confirmed the club's interest in Gardiner. "We have always told Gardy that if he wanted to finish his career with Claremont, we would love to have him," Shimmon said.

"His response was that he was a Claremont man, but he didn't know if he was coming back to Perth or staying in Melbourne."

Clubs must lodge their 35-man squads by the end of this month with the national draft to be held on November 29 and the pre-season draft on December 16. Shimmon confirmed that Claremont has also spoken to Melbourne defender Nathan Carroll.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It's a certainty that our ruck stocks will change between now and next season. At least one of Gardiner and Rix won't be around next season (quite likely both). I think WAFL might be MG's level at this stage.

hotdish
Club Player

remboy wrote:It's a certainty that our ruck stocks will change between now and next season. At least one of Gardiner and Rix won't be around next season (quite likely both). I think WAFL might be MG's level at this stage.
Agree. Especially if we get Seaby, leaving King, Seaby, McEvoy as our core rucks [Van Rheenan, McGrath and Haretuku as ruck rookies].

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

You can add Kosi and probably still Blake as players who will provide support. Ross has also said we will draft one ruckman (either trade for Seaby or use a pick in the ND). I think we'll have more than enough.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ross has said we will DRAFT a ruckman...
Letting M.Gardiner go and picking up Seaby would be a joke.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we'll use our first round pick on a ruckman as well

I suspect that Rix will survive on the list for 1 more year as Blake McGrath will be rookie'd and pbly promoted at the end of next year

vacuous space
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:we'll use our first round pick on a ruckman as well
I doubt it. Cordy will go f/s, Nat and Vickery will be gone before we pick. If we take a ruckmen it'll be with a later pick.

I reckon Rix and Gardiner are both gone. They're not going to get games. King, Mac, Blake and Kosi can do the rucking.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im glad we kept him. hes only 29. if he can fix his feet he could still improve. 29 aint old for a ruckman.

we have mcevoy and the rookie kid (khan haretku) coming through. i would not be surprised if we go for a ruckman with one of our 4 draft pics.

S.A Saint
Club Player

would hate for us to use a trade on a ruckman... we have enough cover in that area i reckon with king and kosi our main two during games...if one of them went down during a game the we would have blake as backup...

and then we also have big mac who can come in for next game...

plus those 2 rookie guys we seem to be doing good in that area...our focus in this draft is to use our first and second picks on mids..then a key back and key ff...

i still think that allen might be used as our chb in the future if maguire doesnt come back from injury or isnt able to play that possy....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

yeah i wouldnt use a draft pick on a ruck. better to pick up a mediocre mature ruck if we need one sometime later down the track - a seaby type for instance.

blake and kosi will never be rucks. king only has a year left. and mcevoy and the rookies could be 5 years away...

thats why i said i wouldnt be surprised if we did draft one. but i agree. using a draft on a ruck seems a waste at this stage.

cant help feeling we are falling behind when carlton have a warnock and kreuzer in their ranks... if they use this draft on some spine players... im going to get more worried.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I still feel that Jeff White from Melbourne could be a handy pickup in the PSD.

But as it stands we have only 4 players to choose, unless the Club decides to delist another player.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I still feel that Jeff White from Melbourne could be a handy pickup in the PSD.

But as it stands we have only 4 players to choose, unless the Club decides to delist another player.
so u think it will be 4 kids in the ND + cuz + a few rookies.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I still feel that Jeff White from Melbourne could be a handy pickup in the PSD.

Thats the way I see it...

Unless its 3 kids plus cuz in the ND and when pick another player in the PSD

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Behind Play
Club Player

If Jeff doesn't get picked up, he will play on the Gold Coast with his brother.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Thats the way I see it...

Unless its 3 kids plus cuz in the ND and when pick another player in the PSD
Considering Archie's response to a list question on the Saints Central forum, it wouldn't suprise me if there is at least one more change (de-listing) to our list prior to the National Draft !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Considering Archie's response to a list question on the Saints Central forum, it wouldn't suprise me if there is at least one more change (de-listing) to our list prior to the National Draft !!
I took this comment;
For now we have settled on our list and delisted players.
to mean that there wil be no more changes with the list as is..........

but the rest of his answer I took to mean the exact mix of players from draft and rookie draft and PSD is not settled....
http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... osts&t=437

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote:
I took this comment;

but the rest of his answer I took to mean the exact mix of players from draft and rookie draft and PSD is not settled....
http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... osts&t=437
With that weird Scottish sence of humour of his, he may be deliberately trying to keep us all guessing :roll: :wink: !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: I took this comment;
maybe the key to his comment is
That is maybe until the second list lodgement is conducted on the 14th of this month

Just a thought???

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

If there was to be another delisting and only IF, Jeff White could be a good pick up.

This season he played 15 matches and averaged just over

18 disposals
6 marks
18 Hit Outs a match

That's a pretty good average and could be very handy as a back up to King IMO