saints pitch for cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Picking up a bloke in the PSD is not like we're sacrificing our future FFS.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Who said 'sacrificing"?

It's showing the recruiting philosophy.

There could be a 22yo in the PSD who might give us 10 years. Why go with a 30yo who has a huge potential downside.

I admit that he also may have an upside and the 22yo may have the downside.

I just have a philosophy that you don't recruit blokes who are short term fixes.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:comeon boys, get him!
if the filth get him :@:@:@
we will regret it.
and so will he

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Didak will be happy though.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Who said 'sacrificing"?

It's showing the recruiting philosophy.

There could be a 22yo in the PSD who might give us 10 years. Why go with a 30yo who has a huge potential downside.

I admit that he also may have an upside and the 22yo may have the downside.

I just have a philosophy that you don't recruit blokes who are short term fixes.
I see your point and I have flipped and flopped on this issue. The conclusion I came to is that if he doesn't cost us a whole heap we will probably get a couple of good years from him and the catch for me is that he can probable teach our guys a few things - especially the young guys. No cracks about his off field nonsense required....but in terms of hardness at the ball and what is required to be an elite midfielder - he could do us good.

I don't think it is purely a "what will he deliver on game day" decision.

JeffDunne

SENsaintsational wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Listening to Burkie on SEN it's pretty clear we're making a big play for him.

Sounded pretty confident too.
Glad to see we still have our eyes on building for the future.
You can take Ross out of Sydney but you can't take the Sydney out of Ross.

Actually that expression takes on a whole new meaning when Sydney's the place in question . . . but let's not go there (even if it's an explanation for Ross' funny walk)

What was this thread about again? :?
Last edited by JeffDunne on Thu 09 Oct 2008 12:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

What? another premiership player and brownlow medalist in our team?

How terrible... :roll: :roll: :roll:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Happy to be proved wrong if he's with us next year.

I just don't want to see him on the sidelines with repetitive hamstrings because he hasn't played footy for 18mths.

Off field - I'd rather have Robert Harvey teaching our young blokes about hardness at the ball than Ben Cousins.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Picking up Cousins with either a 5th round pick in the National Draft or with our pick in the PSD doesn't necessarily mean we're "topping up" or ditching our youth policy. Chances are anyone else available would not give much service to the club anyway. Cousins has the potential to be an A grade player for at least the next 2-3 seasons. He keeps himself super fit - has everyone forgotten how hard he used to run?

Everyone deserves a second chance, and as Saint Mik pointed out, the most likely method of rehabilitation for Cousins would be in the footy club environment - and I'd like to see it be our club that ends up with him.

The Saints are coming!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Happy to be proved wrong if he's with us next year.

I just don't want to see him on the sidelines with repetitive hamstrings because he hasn't played footy for 18mths.

Off field - I'd rather have Robert Harvey teaching our young blokes about hardness at the ball than Ben Cousins.
Maybe - but Harvey won't and probably shouldn't coach at the saints next year. The breather will do him good and bring him back knowing more. But that's may be another topic.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Picking up Cousins with either a 5th round pick in the National Draft or with our pick in the PSD doesn't necessarily mean we're "topping up" or ditching our youth policy. Chances are anyone else available would not give much service to the club anyway. Cousins has the potential to be an A grade player for at least the next 2-3 seasons. He keeps himself super fit - has everyone forgotten how hard he used to run?

Everyone deserves a second chance, and as Saint Mik pointed out, the most likely method of rehabilitation for Cousins would be in the footy club environment - and I'd like to see it be our club that ends up with him.
I hear you.

I don't care about any rehabilitation issues. My concerns are football related only.

I haven't forgotten how hard he used to run either. I haven't forgotten how hard Robert Harvey used to run.

But BC hasn't done it for 18mths. Long time out of the game.

JeffDunne

Is it really that much of a risk?

We don't know the terms the AFL are going to place on Ben but I can bet they'll be strict.

If he does stuff up it's him and not the club that will wear the bad press. He'll be seen to have let down the club that gave him a second chance.

I've had enough of waiting.

Sign Cousins, trade picks for O'Keefe, trade the whole f***ing draft if need be but plug the holes and let's go for broke.

Salary cap?

No problems. Explain to the senior players we're making an all out assault on the flag. Renegotiate terms so they're not losing out long term (or sell them a cheaper contract if their manager sucks).

Just get it done. Now or never.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

article really didn't say much

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Is it really that much of a risk?

We don't know the terms the AFL are going to place on Ben but I can bet they'll be strict.

If he does stuff up it's him and not the club that will wear the bad press. He'll be seen to have let down the club that gave him a second chance.

I've had enough of waiting.

Sign Cousins, trade picks for O'Keefe, trade the whole f***ing draft if need be but plug the holes and let's go for broke.

Salary cap?

No problems. Explain to the senior players we're making an all out assault on the flag. Renegotiate terms so they're not losing out long term (or sell them a cheaper contract if their manager sucks).

Just get it done. Now or never.
so we are expected to cut down on tpp's to accomodate for other new players because we feel like making an assual on a flag???

what the the blue hell have we been doing for the past 4 years??

not losing out in the long term???what happens if we don't win a flag???

then said star player doesn't have a flag and is light on the pocket compared to what he signed on for and also what he is worth on he open market

your post is funny

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
JeffDunne

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so we are expected to cut down on tpp's to accomodate for other new players because we feel like making an assual on a flag???
We are expected to manage our cap.

Hawthorn are miles ahead of us atm and they're talking about signing O'Keefe.
Shuffling deck chairs.
You keep going.
then said star player doesn't have a flag and is light on the pocket compared to what he signed on for and also what he is worth on he open market
Huh?

R-e-n-e-g-o-t-i-a-t-e.

It's not that hard to say.

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

SENsational, from a purely football perspective, the possible recruiting of Ben Cousins would be very much akin to the risks Hawthorn faced recruiting Stuart Dew.

He won't last 5 years or 100 games, but he has not already proved his worth to the Hawks?

go saints!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Having spoken to many important people about the issue, I am happy to confirm it's my official standpoint that the club must make a play for Ben Cousins.

Thank you to everyone who was involved in these discussions. It was a lengthy and occasionaly exhaustive process, but I believe the decision is an excellent one, and I now encourage the club to act on this/these recommendations.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 09 Oct 2008 12:37pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Legendary
Club Player

You're looking at it the wrong way.

The question is how can we improve our list from 2008 for next year?

If in 2009 Ben Cousins takes Matthew Ferguson or Fraser Gehrig's place on the list, will our list have improved?

Yup, by a fair bit IMO.

Go get him Saints!

Good people don't make good footballers. But good footballers make premierships.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so we are expected to cut down on tpp's to accomodate for other new players because we feel like making an assual on a flag???
We are expected to manage our cap.

Hawthorn are miles ahead of us atm and they're talking about signing O'Keefe.
Shuffling deck chairs.
You keep going.
Huh?

R-e-n-e-g-o-t-i-a-t-e.

It's not that hard to say.
you really are bloody clueless

hawthorn are in the position they are in due to either back ended or front loaded contracts and the fact that their touted high picks become elite player in the last year or so

we on the other hand didn't manage too well i.e. giving kosi all the tea in china...

how many clubs r-e-n-e-g-o-t-i-a-t-e (as you put it, the last time i checked i can read words without -'s in the but thank you, point made know i understand...no really thank you) on the basis of 'oh we are going to give it our all this time around go for it'???

no fail, that reason for r-e-n-e-g-o-t-i-ation is not valid at all

all teams at the top look to be going for it

thank fcuk you are not in any kind of position of power

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I do not want him, I pray to see him in Black and White next year...
But if he does come here, i think we should all put it behind us and support him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
JeffDunne

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:you really are bloody clueless
Who are you to be calling anyone "clueless"?

I'm not the person with "Saints Premiers 2008" as my username. :oops:

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, lets do everything we can to get Benno and O keefe

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:you really are bloody clueless
Who are you to be calling anyone "clueless"?

I'm not the person with "Saints Premiers 2008" as my username. :oops:
wow is that the best you can do???

so my username on an internet forum defines my clueless-ness??

so you couldnt really get into my reply to you completely proving you as lacking intelligence so you pay out my username???

no really...you have outdone yourself

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:Yeah, lets do everything we can to get Benno and O keefe
and
Seaby
and
Warnock
and
Harris
and
McIntosh
and
Ray
and
Jones
and
Schultz
and
Prismall
and
Boyle
and
Taylor
and
Varcoe
and
Green
and
Jamar

Have I missed any?

But do we have enough drafte picks and/or players to delist to accomodat all these future Saints champions?

JeffDunne

I couldn't get "into" your reply because it was complete nonsense laced with insults.

Now you're crying like a toddler beacuse I made a fairly tongue-in-check reply?

Seriously dude . . . your username doesn't indicate you're clueless, but the crap you post to the right of it certainly does.

Here's another word for you to look up . . . s-a-r-c-a-s-m.

Once you've got a grip on that, go back and read my post again. :idea:
Last edited by JeffDunne on Thu 09 Oct 2008 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.