2009 Draw Released

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

A terrible fixture

as previously mentioned.

saint4life
Cro
Club Player

saintDal wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:If you cant get to games live, you had better get Foxtel. Only 10 games on free to air and 12 on Foxtel this year.
Throw in the game clashes with Freo/Eagles for us in Perth and we'll probably only see 5/6 games next year :x
That is the most annoying thing, eh. At least in the days of Fox Footy we would get our game on Fox instead of the local pricks.

Not like all the Sunday games either, how I wish part of this draw is wrong. :/

I was hoping we'd play in Melbourne on my birthday so I'd go over to Melbourne for it, but we're playing in Sydney. :/

On the Ball
Club Player

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2008 3:18pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
We also play five interstate teams in the first five rounds,
nine Sunday matches
and I think only one Friday night match.
and only one match at the MCG

Thanks to all those who sh1t-canned me yesterday when I put this up!!

And thanks to the wise ones who realise that I do know what I am talking about!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Pathetic draw in terms of off-field revenue & gate takings?

We don't host ONE friday night game - two of them interstate, and one of them is Carlton's home game.

\What's with us becoming the new twilight bitches of the AFL?

Really poor effort by the AFL, and for them to have the balls to come out and say the fixture is "as fair and equitable" as possible is a load of crap when you consider some of the favours that other teams (i.e. Carlton, Collingwood) get.

Not happy - Westaway & his board MUST direct some STERN complaints to the AFL, and make their voices heard. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Saints are coming!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

From a personal standpoint I quite like it. I've got an RDO every second week, so I can hit the turps every second Sunday and watch the mighty Sainters. And you can't really blame the AFL for taking marquee games away from us with some of the crap footy we've dished up over the last two seasons. Entertaining footy for the average viewer it ain't. The AFL has to protect its brand as well, and if we play the H&A fixture like we have the last two seasons, I can't really blame them.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

How come it's recorded as TD?
I thought TD gone and ES for Etihad Stadium, they've paid all of this money and even the AFL went for tradition

chook23
Saintsational Legend

So many theme rounds

load of crap

now including a "GREEN" round

no night games that weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

[quote="ozrulestrace"]How come it's recorded as TD?
I thought TD gone and ES for Etihad Stadium, they've paid all of this money and even the AFL went for tradition[/quote

Etihad naming right not till March next year

saint4life
Saints94
SS Life Member

The pies always get a gift from the A.F.L fixture wise, what does Eddie do

give Andrew a head :?

mcadam05
Club Player

WOW! the AFL really must want us too become the next Fitzroy this draw is total C#$% if Westway and the board can make us a profit next yr with a draw like this they have my vote for life

bozza1980
Club Player

Shocking draw.

Not really designed for Saints fans to get to games, more designed to boost the prestige of Foxtel's games on Sunday night.

2 Friday night games in Adelaide, which means if you don't make the trip over which will be difficult if you work full time it won't be on live in Melbourne due to Channel 7's decision to never shift Friday night football. Did I mention the fact they are 21 days apart.

2 x Saturday afternoon home games

1 x Friday night home game, in fact only 3 Friday night games for the season, fine reward for finishing 4th last year and 3 times in the last 5 years.

Play the defending premiers in Launceston.

5 x Sunday night twilight games

6 x 6 day turnarounds

1 x Game at the MCG

6 x interstate trips

Not too mention the bloody Monday night game

On the positive we play 13 games at the Dome, our "Home" game at Carrara in theory should be a win considering it is against Melbourne. My counting could be off but we only play 3 top 8 sides from this season twice.

I understand why we are playing so many Sunday twilight games as it is a sweetener for Foxtel but it is an annoying time to go to the footy, I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Oh well good thing we agreed to play the home game on the Gold Coast, what would the AFL have done had they not been doing us a favour?? :roll:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I think the fixture is great.

Geelong once. Hawthorn once. Collingwood once.

No trip to the Gabba. One trip to Perth (and a game we should win)

Melbourne, West Coast and Essendon twice.

Two games in Adelaide within 3 weeks is good. You'd rather play at the same venue in quick succession than say Brisbane then Perth.

And i play on Saturday's so looks like I'll only miss one game in Melbourne!

More Friday nights would be nice though.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:
On the positive we play 13 games at the Dome, our "Home" game at Carrara in theory should be a win considering it is against Melbourne. My counting could be off but we only play 3 top 8 sides from this season twice.
15 games at the dome.

HarveysDeciple

Beno88 wrote:I think the fixture is great.

Geelong once. Hawthorn once. Collingwood once.

No trip to the Gabba. One trip to Perth (and a game we should win)

Melbourne, West Coast and Essendon twice.

Two games in Adelaide within 3 weeks is good. You'd rather play at the same venue in quick succession than say Brisbane then Perth.

And i play on Saturday's so looks like I'll only miss one game in Melbourne!

More Friday nights would be nice though.
spot on....in terms of making the finals its a great draw. Yeah it's pretty crap corporate wise, but it gives us a top chance to gain some momentum.

Juggernaut
Club Player

This draw has just about cost the saints my membership
If I dont' go to games against interstate teams (Really who want to go watch freo play) I don't go to twilight games and I don't go to away games that leaves me with the opportunity to go to 3 games next year even then some are on a sunday and makes it questionable to be able to go

that with free to air games on TV amounting to bugger all I thinking is it any bother next year at all.
Just so angry at the moment - Saints for rolling over for the AFL and the AFL for shafting us.

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

A positive spin

Less games on Free To Air will entice more fans to get to the games. Equals more attendance which equals more gate keepings....

Yes we have a lot of Sunday games but five of them (that's half) are Sunday twilight in Melbourne - 4:40PM, surely all junior footy is finished by then?

I'm not sure where all the complaining is coming from. i think this draw is the best we've had for a while.

No Freo away. No Brisbane away. Only one versus Collingwood and Hawthorn and Geelong (bogey sides of late)

EDIT - moved to this topic rather than start a new one.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

For us on field, I'd have to say it's probably the best draw i've seen in many many years....

It seems that people are complaining because of their OWN circumstances.... :roll:

But as far as us making the finals, this draw is brilliant!!! :D :D

Kate
Club Player

Positive spin is a load of crap.

Even I have to question the value of my membership. Anyone with primary aged kids is on the outer in a big way.

I have no possible access to Foxtel.

I love my footy and I am devistated.

bigmicka
Club Player

To all complaining about Friday night games. Or good Free to air TV slots. Saying that it is bad because we made 4th position last year. It means nothing. We have played crap football over the last couple of years. Make our game look good and we will get the great slots.

Like last year I will not be buying a membership. Mainly due to the percentage that goes into the AFL coffers. If you are like me remember to still give to the club in another capacity. Sponsor a player, make a donation, Just do something.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
Rice Paper
Club Player

bigmicka wrote:To all complaining about Friday night games. Or good Free to air TV slots. Saying that it is bad because we made 4th position last year. It means nothing. We have played crap football over the last couple of years. Make our game look good and we will get the great slots.

Like last year I will not be buying a membership. Mainly due to the percentage that goes into the AFL coffers. If you are like me remember to still give to the club in another capacity. Sponsor a player, make a donation, Just do something.

mic
All Saints membership money goes to the club, the only money that goes to the AFL is when you are a AFL member, then you nominate a club and money goes to the club.

bigmicka
Club Player

Rice Paper wrote:
bigmicka wrote:To all complaining about Friday night games. Or good Free to air TV slots. Saying that it is bad because we made 4th position last year. It means nothing. We have played crap football over the last couple of years. Make our game look good and we will get the great slots.

mic
All Saints membership money goes to the club, the only money that goes to the AFL is when you are a AFL member, then you nominate a club and money goes to the club.
I can remember having this conversation with someone a couple of years ago. I don't think this is the case. Some of the money still ends up with the A.F.L. Happy to stand corrected. Thats why I donate to the club instead.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

mic
If that is how the afl fixture!!!!!!

Play good open footy and win no games does not mean you get great slots...

saint4life
GrumpyOne

chook23 wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:How come it's recorded as TD?
I thought TD gone and ES for Etihad Stadium, they've paid all of this money and even the AFL went for tradition[/quote

Etihad naming right not till March next year
Also.... believe it or not..... the AFL didn't know about the change in sponsorship. :roll:

bozza1980
Club Player

PLUGGER14 wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:
15 games at the dome.
I knew school was a waste of time I can't even count.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I think it's pretty good... minimal travel, 15 games at Docklands and a bye/training drill at the G in round 22....