Would Carroll Really be that bad?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pilgram
Club Player

Re: Would Carroll Really be that bad?

vacuous space wrote:
Batnoe wrote:...as a back up backmen [Carroll] surely would bring something.
I just don't understand the need. It's a position we already have a fair bit of depth at. After Hudghton and Blake we have Maguire, Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt and Allen.
sean dempster has reportedly pulled-up well from the knee reco. however how are you supposed to rely on goose?
goose will be good for about another one (1) game then he can retire with 100 and count himself very lucky.
allen is a forward and jimmy gwilt in better there aswell.
why we wouldn't need another backman is beyond me.
NC adds starch in my opinion and has good feet.
melbourne were mad to delist him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

The only 2 "hopefulls" that I'd hang my hat on are:

1- He played for a crap team the last 2 years, with a loser mentality. Maybe in a better team, his attitude will be better.

2- This may be his big wake up call. See Guerra and Pike, to name a coule.

I'd like to think that he'd be considered as a purely back up only. If he makes the team, and we'r playing crap, then we're in trouble. If we play well and he makes the team, then good luck to him.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
makemytime
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:The only 2 "hopefulls" that I'd hang my hat on are:

1- He played for a crap team the last 2 years, with a loser mentality. Maybe in a better team, his attitude will be better.

2- This may be his big wake up call. See Guerra and Pike, to name a coule.

I'd like to think that he'd be considered as a purely back up only. If he makes the team, and we'r playing crap, then we're in trouble. If we play well and he makes the team, then good luck to him.
Either way, if we do consider to take him, he better get his act together. I only saw him play one game of AFL this year, I think it was against a top eight side. He looked comfortable and his disposals was alright. IF he is cheap, i.e. PSD or really really low ND pick, I think the transition would be ok.

GrumpyOne

Two words guys.

Trust Lyon.

Pilgram
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Two words guys.

Trust Lyon.
thats five words

spert
Saintsational Legend

Apart from other things, we won't win a flag unless we get more strength in the backline, and I suppose Carroll is an easy option.

Pilgram
Club Player

spert wrote:Apart from other things, we won't win a flag unless we get more strength in the backline, and I suppose Carroll is an easy option.
too right. he is a ready-made footballer with an attitude problem. whats not to love about him?

GrumpyOne

Pilgram wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Two words guys.

Trust Lyon.
thats five words
The two words start after the first three numnuts :roll: :roll:

Did someone leave the key in the lock again?

Pilgram
Club Player

LOL two words:
grumpy :lol:

aussiejones
Club Player

Arnt we all forgetting his problems with Melb ?

Ok we may get him cheap , but isnt he potentially disruptive ?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Pilgram wrote:why we wouldn't need another backman is beyond me.
I'd be quite happy to add a good key defender to our list. We need good defenders just as we need good players at every position. Nathan Carroll just isn't a good key defender. I'm amazed anyone would argue that point. He's one of the reasons Melbourne were so bad. They looked better when they replaced him with a relatively unknown kid. He's not a capable substitute for Max at all. He's worse than what we already have, so I ask again, what's the point?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Didn't look too bad with the shaved head and face today :P

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Pilgram wrote:why we wouldn't need another backman is beyond me.
I'd be quite happy to add a good key defender to our list. We need good defenders just as we need good players at every position. Nathan Carroll just isn't a good key defender. I'm amazed anyone would argue that point. He's one of the reasons Melbourne were so bad. They looked better when they replaced him with a relatively unknown kid. He's not a capable substitute for Max at all. He's worse than what we already have, so I ask again, what's the point?
You sure you're not confusing his inabilities with Alastair Nicholson? Nicholson was the full-back we used to pray was fit when we played Melbourne. He was eventually delisted and Carroll took his place.

Unfortuantely for Carroll, he was the only player they seemed to have over 190cms in their backline and so had to play on all the opposition's tall forwards at the same time.

Pilgram
Club Player

i reckon he is mental and i love him already.

GO Nathan .. GO you good thing!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:You sure you're not confusing his inabilities with Alastair Nicholson?
I imagine it would be tough to confuse Carroll with anyone. Particularly given he was under the spotlight for conceding so many goals.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:You sure you're not confusing his inabilities with Alastair Nicholson?
I imagine it would be tough to confuse Carroll with anyone. Particularly given he was under the spotlight for conceding so many goals.
I reckon playing full back in the worst team of this century would be the hardest job in football.
The footy keeps coming in to the forward line and everyone is trying to kick the ball to your opponent.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:I reckon playing full back in the worst team of this century would be the hardest job in football.
Good fullbacks on bad teams usually at least limit their opponents output. Carroll was badly beaten by some of the second tier forwards of the league as well as the top ones. Then there's the aforementioned VFL play. I'd be more inclined to believe that he's a misplaced third tall like Joel Bowden or Bret Thornton than a good fullback struggling because of lack of support.

On the upside, I don't think he could have walked into a better situation short of Hawthorn calling. I still find it a strange move from our end though.

Saintersss
Club Player

^ Exactly. (2 posts up) You'd think he would concede a few goals seeing as the other team would deliver the ball to his forward so many times...

At first i was completly against Carrol coming to the Saints, but i've changed my mind and i'm thinking it might not be too bad. Its not like he's gonna cost to much and so why not take the risk.

Legendary
Club Player

In 2006, Carroll also conceeded one of the fewest number of goals of any full-back and was in contention for AA selection. He had a great year.

More than capable player in a decent team IMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps a lot of his problems stem from boredom?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Well, at least he's had a haircut. Good sign IMO. Let's see how serious he is about a 2nd chance.

In Ross I trust :D

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:In 2006, Carroll also conceeded one of the fewest number of goals of any full-back and was in contention for AA selection. He had a great year.
In 06, Hudghton conceded the fewest goals followed by Scarlett and Rutten. Carroll was nowhere close. He had a good first half, but a woeful second half.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Well, at least he's had a haircut. Good sign IMO. Let's see how serious he is about a 2nd chance.

In Ross I trust :D
and a shave. Maybe the attitude is gone as well

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

At best, he will become a relibale defender with more ticker than Penny ever had.

As far as his personal life goes... if you forgive Cuz, then you forgive Caroll.

You cannot be selective about which soapbox you stand upon.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

For those who haven't seen the new Carroll