I expect to be drafted: Cuz

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RoseInOz
Club Player

I expect to be drafted: Cuz

BEN Cousins is looking forward to returning to AFL football despite the tough conditions imposed on him by the AFL Commission

In his first public statement following yesterday's announcement that he could return to the AFL as long as he submitted to extensive drug testing, Cousins said he was expecting to be picked up by an AFL club.

“I am pleased that the AFL Commission yesterday decided to allow me to enter the AFL Draft," Cousins said in a statement released by his management company.

"The conditions imposed on me are very onerous. I am looking forward to being drafted and playing football again, which is my love."

Cousins said he had no doubt he could still play at the highest level

"I have been undertaking a program of rehabilitation which will continue. I know that I am in a fit and healthy condition and able to undertake the rigours of playing AFL football again," Cousins said.

"I am very grateful for the ongoing support I have received from the public and especially from those close to me."

Should Cousins choose to nominate for the 2008 AFL National Draft, the AFL has given him an extension until next Wednesday, November 26, to nominate.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I really hope we can get him.
So was this mornings article in the HS just a beat up?
Or another Nixon beatup?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The only thing that will get in the way of us drafting him is if Brisbane grab him first.

Let's hope he does something to deter them from doing so.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Nixon never says anything without having some sort of motive.

I hope it was in order to scare the Lions off but who knows what he's up to.

A snake in the grass is Ricky.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Nixon never says anything without having some sort of motive.

I hope it was in order to scare the Lions off but who knows what he's up to.

A snake in the grass is Ricky.
IMO a great player manager...

Looks after the player he manages and in turn that lines his pocket and the player

What else is he meant to do?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

So the next step must be for Benny to train with a club.

A bit surprised he didn't mention his intention re: training in his statement.

Q to all: Would you still want to pick up cousins if he doesn't train with us prior to the draft?

Personally, i think he must train with a club (hopefully us) to be picked up.
He's been out for a year, must test him physically before taking the risk on him. And see how he 'fits' with the team.

So when is our next training session? Ben might just be in Saints jumper by the end of the week.

go saints!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:So the next step must be for Benny to train with a club.

A bit surprised he didn't mention his intention re: training in his statement.

Q to all: Would you still want to pick up cousins if he doesn't train with us prior to the draft?

Personally, i think he must train with a club (hopefully us) to be picked up.
He's been out for a year, must test him physically before taking the risk on him. And see how he 'fits' with the team.

So when is our next training session? Ben might just be in Saints jumper by the end of the week.
If BC nominates for the ND no other player in the ND would be training with any club.

So your point maybe moot

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

fair point.

go saints!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

From that list of 'Draft Nominees - Delisted Players' - there are about 12 doing pre-season with clubs :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:From that list of 'Draft Nominees - Delisted Players' - there are about 12 doing pre-season with clubs :shock:

To do that they need permission from the AFL. The AFL has just lifted Cousins ban.......

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thanks ausfatcat.........

I know players need permission to train from the AFL :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 25 Nov 2008 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Langi
Club Player

Hate to say it but if we are going to get cousins i'm afraid we might be forced into using our first round pick ( 13 ) unless the club and nixon can come up with some sort of draft stratergy to keep him from the lions den.!!!!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Langi wrote:Hate to say it but if we are going to get cousins i'm afraid we might be forced into using our first round pick ( 13 ) unless the club and nixon can come up with some sort of draft stratergy to keep him from the lions den.!!!!
hahahaha

What the hell do you base that on cousins wont go until the third round at the earliest

Langi
Club Player

I'm not basing it on anything, in fact I hope your right but I just feel the net is closing in on us.

I so hope we get him but I think we might have to pay with a higher draft pick than we would've wanted, hope I'm wrong.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Langi wrote:Hate to say it but if we are going to get cousins i'm afraid we might be forced into using our first round pick ( 13 ) unless the club and nixon can come up with some sort of draft stratergy to keep him from the lions den.!!!!
That is a ridiculous statement. No club would be stupid enough given his age and risk and use their first round pick on him

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

From The Australian

IF St Kilda decides tonight to pursue Ben Cousins, it will have to agree to do so not only in Saturday's national draft but at a price, it seems, high enough to be sure of thwarting renewed interest from Brisbane in the fallen Brownlow medallist.

A difficult and complex decision for the St Kilda board became more complicated yesterday when it emerged that Brisbane coach Michael Voss flew to Perth on the weekend to speak with Cousins and rekindle interest that was thought to have been killed off by a backlash from sponsors late last week.

Equally, it seems that the Saints are almost certain to pass on the pre-season draft in December, because of salary cap restrictions, which means that the club must take Cousins this Saturday and, conceivably, as early as the fourth round to complete the contentious recruiting deal. A club official confirmed last night that the pre-season draft was "unlikely".

While Cousins is thought to prefer a fresh start with the Saints, Voss, accompanied by Brisbane football manager Graeme Allan, flew to Perth to assure him that the Lions remain interested. If St Kilda decides tonight against recruiting Cousins, the Lions may be the 30-year-old's only hope of a return to the game.

Misgivings from sponsors, an issue that has counted against Cousins elsewhere in the competition, appeared to end the Lions' chase late last week.
Voss is believed to have called Cousins at least three times last Friday to tell him that the Lions were interested, but decided it would be best to travel to Perth to show the club's interest.

"We haven't changed our process," a club official said yesterday. "The board authorised the football department to make its inquiries and those inquiries are continuing. We haven't changed in what we are doing."

Voss said last night he had never been told to abandon the idea of luring Cousins to Brisbane. "I just think the door's not shut," said Voss, who has indicated that he would like to recruit at least one mature player for his first season as a coach. Former Collingwood and Sydney flanker Nick Davis is training with the Lions.

The St Kilda board will meet late this afternoon, at a location away from Moorabbin it hopes to keep secret, to make its final judgment on Cousins, the recovering drug addict who was granted permission to return to the game last week after being deregistered 12 months ago for bringing the game into disrepute.

The magnitude of the decision has led to a change in the way the decision will be reached. A month ago it was planned that the football department, led by coach Ross Lyon and head of football operations Matthew Drain, would make a recommendation to the board.

Instead, the board will be presented tonight with documentation compiled by the pair over the months they have been interviewing, testing and investigating Cousins and the directors will be entrusted with the responsibility.

It was agreed that it would be better if various views did not exist to surface and create the impression of splits or disunity.

The Saints believe that to compete with richer, stronger and better resourced clubs it must be innovative and prepared to take risks.

It is understood that the club has prepared two statements to release tonight, depending on their decision.

Cousins, if he is to be available on Saturday, must nominate by 2pm tomorrow. He had not nominated at 5pm yesterday. He has until December 9 to nominate for the pre-season draft, to be held on December 16.

If the Saints take Cousins on Saturday, they would have a fortnight or so to make adjustments to their existing contracts to accommodate his expected price of up to $250,000 a season.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RE: Australian article.

a fourth round pick in the National Draft IMO is fine....not many "good" players are left at that stage, so little risk.

A $250,000 salary??

I wonder what that is based on?

Pluck-a-Duck science perhaps???

I would see Cousin's salary as having a heavy performance and games played component, with a much lower base than $250K.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
undecided
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:RE: Australian article.

a fourth round pick in the National Draft IMO is fine....not many "good" players are left at that stage, so little risk.

A $250,000 salary??

I wonder what that is based on?

Pluck-a-Duck science perhaps???

I would see Cousin's salary as having a heavy performance and games played component, with a much lower base than $250K.
so he would get like 250k max if he behaves and plays all the games or something like that????