stories about when you have met saints players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintnat
Club Player

stories about when you have met saints players

the boys are so nice and take time out for the fans it is great to see.

i would like to hear stories about when people met heroes and what happened.

i would say our nicest player is dal he is always nice to me and my friends and will get a photo and sign our stuff at like every training i go to.

who are your favorite saints, post it here

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Sean Dempster
Was on the way to his car oneday at training was the only photo i didnt get, was really happy to sign and have a photo with me Thought he was going to be a bit uphimself was he was really nice

Not a player but ross lyon, before a game had a 15 min chat to me and a few mates,

Robert harvey, shy but really nice would sign anything u wanted,

Steven King, one of the nicest players you can meet.

Pilgram
Club Player

i like so think nick is nice and he's like really hot aswell.
i mean wow like i met him at the train station once and he was like sOo nice and stuff. :lol:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Harves

My son-in-law was here from the US via Holland for a home game at TD – Harves came out doing his walk of the ground about 2 hours before the game.

After all his signings with the kids I asked for a photo with the son-in-law, to which he obliged then spoke with him for about ten minutes about where he’s from, what he does etc.

LOL the s-i-l has his Saints scarf on in the latest snowing photo’s I received from Rotterdam the other day and has the Harves photo in a frame in his bookshelf.

X

Went out of his way to ring my mobile and speak to the daughter of the girl I was seeing at the time about him being her indigenous hero (a school assignment). We had sent an email to the club outlining the request and left my mobile number.

Next home game we called him over and he posed (while initially warming up) for photo’s and was in no hurry to get back to the group as he chatted to the kids. He is a real quality young man.

These are the things that make the Saints so great.

GrumpyOne

Stewart Loewe.

Met him at a Cranny Community Carnival Day.

Was there with a bunch of disabled kids.... paid them a lot of attention and was in no way patronising to them. Nothing was too much trouble.... absolute gentleman. The kids were made to feel 10 feet tall.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

most of the boys a preety good when it comes to dealing with the fans .. i think G Train was the best especially with the little kids always would bend down to greet them on their level he is just an out and out top bloke ... i tend to not go up to the more popular blokes when they come to perth functions cause i cant really be bothered waiting in line with all the girls who que up to speak to Dal or Roo i rather have a longer chat with guys like BJ Maxy ect .. Milney is also really good with the fans and suprisingly i found Schnider to be a top bloke (i dunno i had the preconcived feeling he would be a bit stuck up for some reason)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
HarveysDeciple

Baker's a ripper with the kids.

So was Hamill.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: i found Schnider to be a top bloke (i dunno i had the preconcived feeling he would be a bit stuck up for some reason)
same feeling i had but he was actually really nice.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Baker's a ripper with the kids.
yeah a few years ago. at a family fun day it was all over and i went over for a photo autograph etc,
and he said i really should get back to the Team meeting but they Can wait. How are ya , etc
was really nice

Peter Everritt, was a utter pig.
Barry Hall was great when he was younger
Last edited by Ralphy on Tue 25 Nov 2008 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Stewart Loewe.

Met him at a Cranny Community Carnival Day.

Was there with a bunch of disabled kids.... paid them a lot of attention and was in no way patronising to them. Nothing was too much trouble.... absolute gentleman. The kids were made to feel 10 feet tall.
i gotta agree Buckets was great as a kid i saw him in the departure lounge at melb airport (at the time i wasnt a saints supporter ) and i remember my dad pointing him out to me so i went over and must of bugged him for 30 mins asking him all kinds of questions and he was really great most people would of told me to bugger off but he was happy to keep on talking to me ... from that point on i was hooked to the saints !! and Buckets was my fav. so much so if he had ended up going to freo theres a chance i may have been a purple turd today

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

happy feet
Club Player

Dinner with the players

My sister and my dad were invited to a private dinner with the players as some sort of fund raiser, a couple of years ago. In attendance was Lenny Hayes, Stephen Baker and Troy Schwarze. My sisters and Dad ( who is in his 80's and used to work for the Club) were all very impressed with this trio. Lenny was very good, but Troy Schwarze was particularly attentive to my old Dad who has trouble with his vision. They were all very interested in the star players of the old days, particularly the 50's and the 60's who were club legends and Dad, who went to every home game, saw them all. They made him feel very special.

saintm
Club Player

So was Hamill.
Aaron's own little girl looked very cute in Sunday's paper - although I'm not so sure that the article which accompanied the photo counted as newsworthy!! :roll:
Last edited by saintm on Tue 25 Nov 2008 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Best story I can think of was getting a hug from Milney as the players boarded the bus after the Qual win in Adelaide in 05. Special night

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:

So was Hamill.
Aaron's own little girl looked very cute in Sunday's paper - although I'm not so sure the article counted as newsworthy!! :roll:
i actually didnt find Sammy that easy to talk to he to me seemed as if he genuinely couldnt be bothered listening to the fans he just wanted to sign and go (that being said when i met him we had just lost another game at subi )

Duggie1
Club Player

Oh you youngsters!
The most recent players I have met and spoken to were Buckets at the Ainslie FC in Canberra and Cuz at Moorabbin.
In the post war years Colin Williamson was a close neighbour for years and after retirement coached the local club for which I played. He captained the club for a year or two. At that time I was asked by the coach (Fred Froude) to sit with him in the 'box' on the boundary to get snaps of the players in action.
In summer I played cricket with Ken Walker a great CHB, and a ruckman whos e name I forget.
Sorry about the nostalgia. :lol: :lol:

Always a Saint
PLUGGER14
Club Player

Duggie1 wrote:Oh you youngsters!
The most recent players I have met and spoken to were Buckets at the Ainslie FC in Canberra and Cuz at Moorabbin.
In the post war years Colin Williamson was a close neighbour for years and after retirement coached the local club for which I played. He captained the club for a year or two. At that time I was asked by the coach (Fred Froude) to sit with him in the 'box' on the boundary to get snaps of the players in action.
In summer I played cricket with Ken Walker a great CHB, and a ruckman whos e name I forget.
Sorry about the nostalgia. :lol: :lol:
I'll jump on the nostalgia train...Jeff Sauru did our bathroom back in the day. Spent more time talking to us kids about footy than installing the shower! 2 day job took 3!

Saints94
SS Life Member

I met stephen milne at the Mathoura caravan park it was in 2006.... top bloke

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

If we are going down the nostalgia path...
I went to Southmoor PS during the 70's,
would think nothing of Gary Colling jumping the fence to help out with footy training. Mike Patterson put in a show every now and then as well.
Have photos of Barry Breen and Big Carl Ditterich messing about on the grass of Moorabbin at a family day.
Jimmy O'Dea was our garbo for a while, and was always happy cheery guy given the load of crap he would have copped from "fans"
Barry Lawrance, had the scariest cold steel eyes, but was a really nice quietly spoken bloke.
Later on I bumped into Jesalenko at the Mooloolaba surf club and had a beer. Didnt much like his days at the Saints, very frustrated.
Trevor Barker and Simon O'Donnell at sports nights were very good value.

Seeya
MACEwasACE
Club Player

Remember when I was in the cheer squad back in the Moorabbinn days and we had a game of indoor cricket in the visitors change rooms with Joffa, Burnsie and Barks. GReat days. Great blokes

IF It is to be it is up to me.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Michael Gardiner :shock:
One time at a training session as I was walking out I happened to walk past him and he said hello and we had about a 10 minute chat.
I was quite surprised because that was the first time I've seen a footy player go out of their way to initate communication with a fan, this was shortly after he arrived at the club so I had a pre-conceived thought that he would be a seedy, arrogant prick but he was a fantastic bloke to me.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintDal
Club Player

We had Nicky Winmar attend one of our U/13's games where he later awarded the best player a pair of Saints socks.

It was pretty good of him because I think he was still playing at the time. Especially as we were 2 hours from Perth it was pretty exciting having him watch us play.

saints_forever
Club Player

i have two

while driving too that saints carol thing a couple of years back was in the car with my dad turned my head and saw in the car next to me kosi and x.. i started waving to them they waved back and we spoke for abit.. i stupidly asked ' are u going to the carol thing' his response nah im going shopping lol.. saw him again at the carols and he remembered me and told all the boys about it quite funny

next one is when i was with my mates to saints training late last year.. i had a day off school and we went to see them train suprisingly there were only about 5 people there to watch them train.. afterwards went to get a couple of autographs and was talking to dally and hes like 'shouldnt u be at school' then milney who was sitting next to me said 'what are u her father' and then dally replied ' i'm just looking out for her' lol

loving nick dal santo
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

ex coaches count?

Spoke at length to Tim Watson at one of those TD familairization meetings at StK town hall, Even allowing for him having to turn on the charm for the fans he was amazingly candid, telling us of his plans to turn BBBBBH into a defender and stories of his Ess days. Seemed genuinely dissapointed he had to go.

Years later had cause to deal with his sister, whos a nurse at a hospital my Dad was in Likewise a very very pleasant and professional person so I guess its a family trait.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Duggie1
Club Player

Is there anybody who can join me about the days at Junction Oval? :lol:

Always a Saint
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Michael Gardiner :shock:
One time at a training session as I was walking out I happened to walk past him and he said hello and we had about a 10 minute chat.
I was quite surprised because that was the first time I've seen a footy player go out of their way to initate communication with a fan, this was shortly after he arrived at the club so I had a pre-conceived thought that he would be a seedy, arrogant prick but he was a fantastic bloke to me.
same here and this was before he had played a game- actually quite a quiet guy.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107