Why we should take Carrol

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintersss
Club Player

Why we should take Carrol

At first I was against taking him, but after thinking about I'm quite keen on it.

1. We will most likely take him with our last pick. Pick 83, therefore we are not really missing out on a kid. The chances of a pick 83 actually making our 22 or close is very unlikely.
2. He showed one year at Melbourne that he was capable of being a solid defender as well as finishing 6th in their best and fairest that year.
3. He generally had to play on the best forwards at Melbourne (with us he'll most likely be playing on the 3rd forward)
4. Good secruity.
5. It won't cost us much, as Melbourne has to pay a chunk of his contract.
6. Seems to be focused and ready. (Got rid of his terrible hair)
7. Why not, theres a chance he'll come good, with little downside if he doesn't.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

8. And the "BOARD" can really show what Hypocrites they really are!!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:8. And the "BOARD" can really show what Hypocrites they really are!!
Still going??

Why would they be hypocritical? Because the need for a player like Caroll may be greater than Cuz?

Too many uninformed opinions for my liking.

Caroll could very well fill the gap left by Penny. And if Goose returns, we'll have more than enough players to step into the midfield IMO.

All of them younger and without the baggage of Cuz...

BJ, Gran, X just to name 3. Even Chips.

On that basis, and in a perfect world, Caroll would be of more value than Cuz. IMO only.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:8. And the "BOARD" can really show what Hypocrites they really are!!
Still going??

Why would they be hypocritical? Because the need for a player like Caroll may be greater than Cuz?

Too many uninformed opinions for my liking.

Caroll could very well fill the gap left by Penny. And if Goose returns, we'll have more than enough players to step into the midfield IMO.

All of them younger and without the baggage of Cuz...

BJ, Gran, X just to name 3. Even Chips.

On that basis, and in a perfect world, Caroll would be of more value than Cuz. IMO only.
b-b-b-bingo

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think you'll find the issue is the inconsistency of the boards "youth policy" as he is not exactly a spring chicken at 28

busso mick
Club Player

9. He will be an asset in fund raising for Movember next year

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I think you'll find the issue is the inconsistency of the boards "youth policy" as he is not exactly a spring chicken at 28
with max staying on it gives gilbert/anyone else more time to get used to playing back against quality players

carroll can be both part of a changing in the guard of such and could even be part of a premiership...dare to dream

i know i'd give him a hug if he won the flag and he assisted...

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Still don't want him.
He is trouble and if the board thinks he fits within the "youth policy'' or whoever, then they're stupider than I thought.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Still don't want him.
He is trouble and if the board thinks he fits within the "youth policy'' or whoever, then they're stupider than I thought.
since when do we have a youth policy???

give me hard sources of fact...

or was this something that was twisted to go against archie and the prepared statement he made abut us not taking bc?

Pilgram
Club Player

i love him coz he's not afraid to throw a punch

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

....... both on and off the field. :x

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I don't want him, and if we take him I'm going to throw a hissy and tear up my membership, and cry, sook and bleat about it for days and demand the board stand down.

Nah, not really... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pilgram
Club Player

ozrulestrace wrote:....... both on and off the field. :x
frustration doesn't win flags .. hardness does.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Carroll will be another raging success story like Matthew Clarke, Steven King, Michael Gardiner and Charlie Gardiner.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I think you'll find the issue is the inconsistency of the boards "youth policy" as he is not exactly a spring chicken at 28
IIRC, the statement mentioned long term list strategic list management... not a youth policy.

Ludricous to connect the 2 decisions. Different players, different roles.

M Clarke = back up only coz Hackland walked.

C Gardiner = had to take him as part of the King trade. Was duly delisted.

M Gardiner = dissapointing, but showed form when fit.

S King = a solid year IIRC.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Red
Club Player

The guy is there as a backup and he's cheap because Melbourne have paid

out the final year of his contract. Makes good sense.

Hawthorn had a youth policy but still picked up Dew.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Red wrote:The guy is there as a backup and he's cheap because Melbourne have paid

out the final year of his contract. Makes good sense.

Hawthorn had a youth policy but still picked up Dew.
Well if that's the case, I'm going to buy a Hawks membership tomorrow... and then tear it up. :lol:

lovedal26
Club Player

I was also at first against it but i think he would be a good back up for max.
I just think if we say we want to go with "youth" then it is very hypocritical for us to pick carroll and not cousin.
But we will just have to wait till saturday to see if we pick him or not.

nick dal santo #26
Pilgram
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
IIRC, the statement mentioned long term list strategic list management... not a youth policy.

Ludricous to connect the 2 decisions. Different players, different roles.

M Clarke = back up only coz Hackland walked.

C Gardiner = had to take him as part of the King trade. Was duly delisted.

M Gardiner = dissapointing, but showed form when fit.

S King = a solid year IIRC.
thanks for saving me the effort WJ42 8-)

S.A Saint
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:Carroll will be another raging success story like Matthew Clarke, Steven King, Michael Gardiner and Charlie Gardiner.
You my friend are an idiot....

King has been a very good contributor this year to our club. Not just on field, he will be a valuable teacher to big mac in his development as a ruckman.

Matthew Clarke was recruited to teach our current ruckman at the time how to be a solid contributor to the team. Not his fault he had to ruck as the whole team got injured that year and he was out no1.

Gardiner played some good games for us this season when he was on the park..

charlie was a bonus package that came with king with pick 90...what more would you want from pick 90

these players that we recruited cost us jack s*** and most have provided usufull service to our club..

if we were to get carol for pick 90 or whatever, and use him as back up in case max went down or any of our current defenders than i would be more than happy with this decision. the guy is 28 and he another 4 years of football left in him

jays
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Carroll will be another raging success story like Matthew Clarke, Steven King, Michael Gardiner and Charlie Gardiner.
You my friend are an idiot....

King has been a very good contributor this year to our club. Not just on field, he will be a valuable teacher to big mac in his development as a ruckman.

Matthew Clarke was recruited to teach our current ruckman at the time how to be a solid contributor to the team. Not his fault he had to ruck as the whole team got injured that year and he was out no1.

Gardiner played some good games for us this season when he was on the park..

charlie was a bonus package that came with king with pick 90...what more would you want from pick 90

these players that we recruited cost us jack s*** and most have provided usufull service to our club..

if we were to get carol for pick 90 or whatever, and use him as back up in case max went down or any of our current defenders than i would be more than happy with this decision. the guy is 28 and he another 4 years of football left in him
right on he is only 28 and pick 90 would be a good pick up

starsign
Club Player

i'm with you on this Sainterss
one year contract see how he goes , nothing really to lose with Carroll
With Cousins though, blind Freddy can tell you we don't know the full story, but as sure as we beat the filth by 1 point in 66, the "youth policy" was merely discreet diplomacy ... a smoke screen if you like to the rest of the footy world, particularly any opposition clubs who may be intrested in him ( let em do trheir own footwork for heavens sake ....this is serious buisness!) And Give the Board some slack you short sighted bods swallowing the youth bit (and some credit I recon too) with the knowledge that they know a hell of a lot more about the saga than we mere mortal fans know at the present time. We may well grow to be very thankful for their decision

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

From discussing Carroll with a few of my mates fom Melbourne they reckon he's fine until he gets on the pyss.
Then he becomes a different person:-
a not very nice person
an agressive person
a belligerent person
a nasty person

(anybody getting flashbacks to a player GT sacked mid-season for similar activities?)

So if we do pick him up I hope our List Management people put him on a contract that allows us to get rid of him should he continue on with this type of behaviour - a 1 strike and you're out type contract.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I reckong the best reason to pick him is so that we can send the forum into meltdown again.

After all, once the BC thing dies down, what else will we do for 4 months?

But just our luck, we'll decide aginst it... once again treating the members with contempt.

Man, those sarcasm pills have got a real kick in them today. :shock:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We shouldn't!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell