2009 Team Shaping Up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

azza12
Club Player

the team i would have for round 1 is

Gilbert, Hudghton, Baker
S.Fisher, Maguire, Ray
Montagna, Ball, Dal Santo
X.Clarke, Riewoldt, Eddy
Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider,

King, Gram, Goddard

R.Clarke, Blake, Armitage, Jones

Emegencies:M.Gardiner, Steven, Geary

Dempster out injured[/quote]

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

azza12 wrote:Gilbert, Hudghton, Baker
S.Fisher, Maguire, Ray
X.Clarke, Riewoldt, Eddy

King, Gram, Goddard

No room for Lenny?

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

i think armo will have to show a bit before hes picked

S.A Saint
Club Player

ill go out there and say for the nab cup the team that i would put out there is

Baker, Gilbert, Ray
R.Clarke, Maguire Begly
Heyne, Dal, X. Clarke
Schneider, Allen, Lynch
Eddy, Cahill, Steven

McEvoy, Armo, Gram

Blake, Geary, Stanley, Gwilt, L.Fisher, Jones, Miles and maybe even luke ball for fitness and to get bit of form..i think you are allowed to have 8 on bench or something...

any thoughts

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Everyone will get a run or two in the pre season matches. If we made the final I'd think we'd put our best fit 26 out there.

azza12
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
azza12 wrote:Gilbert, Hudghton, Baker
S.Fisher, Maguire, Ray
X.Clarke, Riewoldt, Eddy

King, Gram, Goddard

No room for Lenny?
sorry how could i forget lenny

new team

Gilbert, Hudghton, Baker
S.Fisher, Maguire, Ray
Gram, Ball, Dal Santo
X.Clarke, Riewoldt, Eddy

King, Hayes, Goddard

R.Clarke, Blake, Armitage, Montagna

ace
Saintsational Legend

The ideal player for full forward is a tall, with a FAST lead, good mark and a straight kick.
His leads create two options, kick it to him if he gets clear, or kick to the forward pocket, one out in the square, because the full forward has taken multiple opponents with him.
Good full forwards are rare but they approach 100 goals in full season.

The ideal player for forward pocket is a very tall, who can do the ruckwork inside 50, with a good leap, good mark and a straight kick.

Koschitzke is close to being that ideal forward pocket but he is far from being the ideal full forward. A goal per game does not make a full forward.

Let's hope one the new recruits has the attributes to make it as a full forward.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 2009:

FB: S.Gilbert - M.Hudghton - S.Baker
HB: F.Ray - M.Maguire - S.Fisher
C: J.Gram - L.Hayes - L.Montagna
HF: T.Lynch - N.Riewoldt - N.Dal Santo
FF: S.Milne - J.Koschitzke - A.Schneider
R: S.King - B.Goddard - L.Ball
I/C: X.Clarke - R.Clarke - C.Begley - D.Armitage
EMG: J.Blake - L.Fisher - M.Gardiner

Changes:
In: S.Baker, F.Ray, M.Maguire, T.Lynch, L.Ball, X.Clarke, C.Begley
Out: J.Blake, C.Jones, R.Harvey, J.Gwilt, A.Fiora, A.McQualter, R.Eddy

Preliminary Final Team 2008:
FB: J.Blake - M.Hudghton - B.Goddard
HB: S.Gilbert - S.Fisher - J.Gram
C: C.Jones - N.Dal Santo - R.Harvey
HF: J.Gwilt - N.Riewoldt - L.Montagna
R: S.King - L.Hayes - A.Fiora
I/C: D.Armitage - A.McQualter - R.Clarke - R.Eddy

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Dont expect Dempster to be out as long as first thought, his recovery is going very well...

ThePunter
Club Player

Ideally our team is

R Clarke Hudghton Gilbert
Gram S Fisher Dempster
Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
X Clarke Riewoldt Schneider
Koschitzke Maguire Milne
King Hayes Ball
Armitage Baker Ray Blake

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:Changes:
To be honest I don't think there's any improvement in there. You're swapping a bunch of fringe players around and replacing Harvey with Ball.

I suppose if we are going to have any success this year it will have to come from players with some experience taking the next step (Armo, Allen, Geary) and moving some class into the midfield (BJ, Gram, X. Clarke).

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

you guys make me laugh. putting beagly and lynch in and havent even seen them play. you all seem to get excited over new players, that we dont even know what their really like.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

eddy and jones wont be so easily disregared by the coaching staff. both highly respected by the coaches.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:you guys make me laugh. putting beagly and lynch in and havent even seen them play. you all seem to get excited over new players, that we dont even know what their really like.
The majority of football fans have seen Begley play at least a few times. He has played almost 30 AFL games you know.

And most people have seen Lynch play a game or two, or even just the youtube videos.

They can both kick, too, which puts them ahead of Eddy and Jones.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

msg there is alot of other sides to footy than just kicking. jones and eddy are not that bad. maybe if you watched some games, you would see how they both have improved. your oppion on jones since he arrived at the club, has been negitive, even before you saw him play. they are both good at putting pressure on the opposition, which we lack, in some players.all teams have their work horses, cant have a team of all stars.have you ever played a game yourself, or are you just a lounge room critic.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Grave doubts that Goose will get up again...too batttered and bruised...even when he did play recently, he looked slow, lost and awkward and gave away so many free kicks in crucial positions.
Would love to be wrong , but I don't include him in my ideal side at all.

Nee!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:Round 1 2009:

FB: S.Gilbert - M.Hudghton - S.Baker
HB: F.Ray - M.Maguire - S.Fisher
C: J.Gram - L.Hayes - L.Montagna
HF: T.Lynch - N.Riewoldt - N.Dal Santo
R: S.King - B.Goddard - L.Ball
I/C: X.Clarke - R.Clarke - C.Begley - D.Armitage
EMG: J.Blake - L.Fisher - M.Gardiner

Changes:
Cant we redraft Harvey as a Mature Rookie - apparently Cousins is asking the Eagles to redraft him as a mature age rookie

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Grave doubts that Goose will get up again...too batttered and bruised...even when he did play recently, he looked slow, lost and awkward and gave away so many free kicks in crucial positions.
Would love to be wrong , but I don't include him in my ideal side at all.
give him a long period to get back into it...he had 6 or so games and it simply wasn't enough

a prime case in nathan brown...it took him 2 seasons to get back into it, a proper pre-season and then he had a good year in 08

and for whats its worth...i think we could play him in the third tall position if match-ups allow

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Ideally our team is

R Clarke Hudghton Gilbert
Gram S Fisher Dempster
Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
X Clarke Riewoldt Schneider
Koschitzke Maguire Milne
King Hayes Ball
Armitage Baker Ray Blake
That's almost the right 22 IMO, although I'm not sure about the positions you have selected them in (but what does it matter?)

FWIW (and my positioning of players is no doubt open to question as well), my ideal team - if all fit - would be

Gilbert Hudghton Baker
Maguire R Clarke S Fisher
Goddard Dal Santo Montagna
Gram Riewoldt X Clarke
Schneider Allen Milne
King Hayes Ball
Kosi Blake Armitage Ray

Emergencies: Dempster Jones Gwilt

I believe that Ross wants to try Allen as a full forward at AFL level in 2009, and I agree with him. Allen has a lot to prove, but I share the view that Kosi is a ruck-forward and not purely a full forward.

I also suspect that Lyon would have Dempster and Jones in his top 22. I personally wouldn't, but it's probably not an argument we would need to have because Dempster is presumably on the long-term injury list and we are surely unlikely to have our top 22 players fit at any time during the season (when did this happen last?).

So I expect to see lots of Jones during 2009, unless and until the likes of Steven and Armitage can prove themselves worthy of being consistently selected ahead of him.

I suspect that, barring another horrendous run with injuries (which can't be ruled out) we shouldn't see too much of Eddy: he workss hard, but I do not see him as having enough in the skills department to make it at AFL level. But I hope I'm wrong.

Will McQualter continue to be selected to play AFL? I'm not sure about this one. IMO he wouldn't need to lift his game too much to become a genuine AFL player. But can he do it?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:you guys make me laugh. putting beagly and lynch in and havent even seen them play. you all seem to get excited over new players, that we dont even know what their really like.
I've seen enough of Begley with the Lions to suggest that he (with further improvement) will be a very solid running small defender. Due to the fact that he is new to the game he has plenty of room for improvement left in him, Jones' doesn't. Also Lyon/recruiters wouldn't likely select a recycled player unless they saw a role for them in the side.

Lynch was included in my team as I see him as a better third tall forward than Allen. Our recruiters also clearly picked Lynch for needs rather than best available therefor we can expect there to be a role for him. He is a good leader so an instant debut is not beyond him.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

People are always trying to find ways to drop Jones. That's nothing new. I thought we were past dropping Blake though. He's our CHB until somebody takes the job away from him. Even then, he's a valuable utility. Maguire has to prove he can play four quarters of footy again before he even thinks about playing CHB again. I doubt he plays on Hall or O'Loughlin first up.

Begley only gets a run straight away if there's injuries. Baker would be in before Begley if healthy, as would Dempster. Lynch would have to really impress to get a game straight off. They liked Steven enough to name him as an emergency in the finals last year. He'd be closer than any of the new guys. But once again, this is a tough lineup to crack.

FB: S. Fisher - Hudghton - R. Clarke
HB: Ray - Blake - Gilbert
C: Gram - Hayes - Dal Santo
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Jones
FF: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: King - Goddard - Ball

IC: Armitage - Baker - X. Clarke - Maguire

Eddy, Gwilt or Mini might get a go if Bakes or Goose aren't ready to go. They might go with Gardiner in round one against Sydney as a spare ruck against a grind-it-out stoppage side. Who knows - they may even give Leigh Fisher another crack at Goodes.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

lyons saw something in birss and c g to. were are they now.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

why did the lions let him go.

undecided
Club Player

ace wrote:The ideal player for full forward is a tall, with a FAST lead, good mark and a straight kick.
His leads create two options, kick it to him if he gets clear, or kick to the forward pocket, one out in the square, because the full forward has taken multiple opponents with him.
Good full forwards are rare but they approach 100 goals in full season.

The ideal player for forward pocket is a very tall, who can do the ruckwork inside 50, with a good leap, good mark and a straight kick.

Koschitzke is close to being that ideal forward pocket but he is far from being the ideal full forward. A goal per game does not make a full forward.

Let's hope one the new recruits has the attributes to make it as a full forward.
i believe the ideal FF u r talking about is Paul Cahill, he has some pace and is very much a lead up player from what i have seen. also has a good set of hands, none of this soccer heading rubbish :lol: . he has been criticized a bit because he only seems to get the ball on the lead tho which i would expect him to do that much anyway, Fraser never did. But people in the club have said he might develop as a CHB, i personally would like to se him as a FF first and if he has no success there give a go down back

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SAINT JUMP wrote:eddy and jones wont be so easily disregared by the coaching staff. both highly respected by the coaches.
That's why we struggle.

Are Eddy & Jones respected for their football ability or their ability to stick to team rules, pressure & run around to Lyon's plan. I love the endeavour of both players but neither have shown a great deal of pure football ability.

Eddy is typical of your modern day recruit... an outstanding runner, can make continual efforts at the ball, throws himself in. Unfortunately playing as a forward he doesn't kick goals.

Jonesy is a real goer but wouldn't get a game at any of the top teams. Our midfield is shallow & drastically needs strengthening.

I like the recruitment of Begley as he may be that small shutdown defender that we have never had. If that gets Gram up the ground & away from being exposed as a defender with no defensive skills then that's great. Gram can be used on a wing to give some run.

I disagree that putting one or two new players in a preferred line up is laughable. We have significant holes that needed to be filled. Lynch, Ray and Begley should be looked at as potentially filling those spots immediately.

My round round team-

B. Begley Hudgton Gilbert
HB. S.Fisher Maguire R.Clarke
C. Gram Hayes Montagna
HF. Dal Santo Riewoldt Lynch
F. Milne Allen Koschitzke
R. King Goddard Ball
I. Armitage Baker Schneider Blake
E. X.Clarke Jones Ray

I couldn't find room for Ray but realistically he'll probably be there. Forward line is a bit big but Lynch plays very mobile and Kosi would spend time as 2nd ruck.

I'm confident that both Goose & Bakes will be there & play significant roles. When I say confident I mean bloody hopeful!