Eljay Connors

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Eljay Connors

From what I saw from the Intra club game and last nights match I would say that of all our young midfielders Eljay is showing the most potential, He looks like he has so much time when he gets the ball and his disposal is pretty spot on. He is also lightning quick and a good size. He IMO will be the surprise packet this year and will get more game time than Steven and Armitage.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think he's still too light for AFL footy, but he definitely showed some good signs. Was very clean under pressure and read the play well.

To be honest I was expecting another Phil Raymond but Eljay definitely has potential.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

He's got that touch class with little deft touches, but I think we wont see much of him this year, and Armo will get a lot more game time than him.

Foz
Club Player

Hey guys, my first post here.

Eljay looks the goods although he's probably a project player being taken as an underage player in 2007 draft. Certainly can put some more beef on so maybe a year or two away physically. Hes potentailly got the X factor that Nick Heyne was recruited for.

In intraclub game, Eljay wasnt afraid of being in the packs but also had sure hands. He has that self assured, baulk and good pace, something not high in previous Saints teams ! Hopefully his disposal stands up. I have visions on him lining up on the wing at Telstra Dome before too long.

I'm sure the club will perservere with Jack Steven (could be the forward line ferret we need before choo's ready) Nick Heyne and dont forget Lynchy. I'd like to see Big Ben replace Gardner too.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Agree.... I was really impressed with the little we saw of Eljay last night...

He looks a naturally skilled footballer... Both Eddy and CJ, and to a lesser extent Geary and Miles, look a little less natural, and it is more through hard work that they succeed to get to the level they are at...

Eljay just seems to have that level of natural talent that so many of us are born without...

mick13
Club Player

He didn't get much of it, but when he did have it. He just looked like he knew what he was doing. Poise, awareness, skill.

Got the mind of an AFL footballer. Now just needs the body of one. :P

Certainly a surprise packet, as not many of us had high hopes. 65kg dude picked at pick 70 or something, I spose if he gets a game you'd be happy with him.

But yeah, after the intra-club and a NAB cup run, who knows. Could be a 10 year player for us.

Oh god, Im getting way ahead of myself here. Oh well, we need some positives amongst the sea of negativity here.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

He looks a naturally skilled footballer...
That's it exactly, he is a natural, that one passage of play in the last qtr where he took possession in the midfield, no fumble no panic despite on coming traffic and shot out a 15 metre handball to a player running at full tilt who didn't have to break stride. That stuff can't be taught, you either have it or you don't.

Batnoe

He could be anything and i like what i saw albeit only played in 1 quarter.

6 handballs, but silky touches, could he be our cult hero??

Simon Templar
Club Player

I was very enthused by what I saw of him too......I'll bet he gets more game time in next few games...!!

I liked the efforts of a few of the other newer guys but Eljay stuck in my mind....looked a good thing !

Go you good things....!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I would put Eljay 3rd behind Armo & Jack ATM

Armo Has been in the system longer, has a more mature body and is an "in & under" type who can give and take a decent hit. Likes going forward too.

Jack From what I have seen is probably going to end up the pick of this bunch. Has all the midfield skills and can go/play forward too

Eljay Is by far the quickest of this group. Will need time to grow into his new "Ripped" body. For mine, he's an old fashioned wingman in the same mould as Joey

!!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Eljay's an easy guy to cheer for, a natural underdog. What I've liked is that in spite of his light frame, he doesn't play scared of being broken in 2. Honestly though, the only moment I've seen that gave me any hope other than pure optomism for him was a passage in the intrasquad where he sidestepped in traffic - very good lateral movement, which made a young Milne very exciting, and makes an untagged Dal so good in packs.

He hasn't really earned comparisons to either though. When he starts racking up numbers in the V, then I'll start to think he may come good, but until then he's a smokey.

Oh, and on the note of his size, he's very similar to ChooChoo, our SS cult sensation. It's always a disadvantage to have a fundamental tool missing, but by itself no single skill/tool will write a player off.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Batnoe

we need to sponsor another player- Remember he has only played 1 VFL game also as he was injured last year, this is his first real year and could be regarded as a first year player

mick13
Club Player

Eljay and Ross. Will hold the 2016 Premiership Cup aloft (with a little help from Roo)

He was picked up underage as well last year, only turned 19 last month. And Jack hasn't even turned 19 yet! I like these underage picks lol.

Batnoe

mick13 wrote:Eljay and Ross. Will hold the 2016 Premiership Cup aloft (with a little help from Roo)

He was picked up underage as well last year, only turned 19 last month. And Jack hasn't even turned 19 yet! I like these underage picks lol.
Maybe the saints were looking for the future then- picking up underage kids knowing the draft was going to be weak in the next few years with the GC coming in.

are you saying that Roo will need to help lifting the cup as Eljay is too skinny to lift it on his own? or Roo will still be around?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
mick13 wrote:Eljay and Ross. Will hold the 2016 Premiership Cup aloft (with a little help from Roo)

Maybe the saints were looking for the future then- picking up underage kids knowing the draft was going to be weak in the next few years with the GC coming in.

are you saying that Roo will need to help lifting the cup as Eljay is too skinny to lift it on his own? or Roo will still be around?
i would love to see eljay get a go in a senior match however i would be afriad for his well-being

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i was at the game...the boy can play

ps spoke to both lenny and maxie

..gave money to them for the bushfires.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bethb7
Club Player

He is still heaps skinny, alot shorter than I thought, but I reakon if he keeps improving at the rate he is deserves a senior game this year, just to see how he goes.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
mick13
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:

Nah I mean Ross and Eljay will need help holding it up. :P

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

He certainly looks the goods. As has been said, just seems a natural.

Spoke to him for a while after the intraclub, seems a really down to earth and impressive young man.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:He just looked like he knew what he was doing. Poise, awareness, skill.
This is exactly what I saw at the first training session the year he was recruited. Like Dal Santo and Raph Clarke, these three blokes look like they were born with a football in their hands.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I thought Jack Steven looked alright in the NAB Cup match.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

What a sharp contrast to the 2008 doom-sayers who reckoned we didn't have any good kids coming through.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:What a sharp contrast to the 2008 doom-sayers who reckoned we didn't have any good kids coming through.
We didn't.

Armitage and Howard were flops, given when they were picked. NO rising star nominations in the past few years other than Gilbert and Raph.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:What a sharp contrast to the 2008 doom-sayers who reckoned we didn't have any good kids coming through.
We didn't.

Armitage and Howard were flops, given when they were picked. NO rising star nominations in the past few years other than Gilbert and Raph.
Oh yes they did. All this bollocks about how we were doomed because none of the kids looked "likely".

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Getting back to Eljay, he impressed me in the little game time he had against the Lions. He has genuine pace. I would put him in front of Jack Steven at the moment.