?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I will never ever boo the boys but one thing that does frustrate me is our absolute refusal to kick to a one on one contest. There were a few occasions when Kosi or Nick were both one out with their direct opponents but we instead kicked to a short or wide option which just gave Sydney the opportunity to drop more back. We should have confidence in these guys to either beat their direct opponent or at the very least bring the ball to ground and then allow our crumbers to feed. Sometimes we just move the ball too slowly
Absolutely agree and we were guilty of it many times on Sat.

Its the folk who want 60m torps down the guts all the time though that get on my nerves :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Obviously a lot of people do not understand the modern game, the angst is palpable when we start switching instead of just bombing it to a 10 on 10 contest :roll:

Hawthorn and Geelong switch the ball, you have to, you need to it's the only way to free up play!

BUT there are times when you do need to kick it long, example on two occasions Sam Fisher had Riewoldt one out in the goal square and instead of kicking it to him and backing him in, he switched play and held things up giving Sydney the time to flood back :shock:

THIS was very annoying and frustrating!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: To all the booers on Sat night

aussierules0k wrote:Firstly a bit of education. The team flooding wants the other team to bomb it in. That's the plan Stan.

By booing our players when they kick across and back waiting for their moment to strike puts them under pressure, pressure they don't need.
The op coaches would love it.

Instead of booing, we should be applauding. After all WE have the ball. THEY are on the defensive.

STOP booing our players and demanding they bomb it in.
Sensational post!

The "Kick it down the guts" idiots don't get it. No idea about how football works.

I love watching a good switch and when it works, it's a very useful attacking tool. I've been a champion of that, and the handball, for a very long time - high percentage plays that enable you unlock a strong opposition.

It is not keepings off. It's looking for an opening to attack. People will learn eventually.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Spinner wrote: I was so impressed with our composer during these times.....
!
Mozart? He was always a Kosi fan.
LOVE IT...!!

But dont you think that was a bit subtle for the majority of posters here?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What we saw in the practice matches was a far cry from the attacking switches of play we saw on Saturday night.

In the praccy matches it was really keepings off. Due to a combination of things (better match conditions, best 22 on the park, better set ups etc) the switches of play were really well executed and very attacking. It opened up the flood with some precision hand and foot passing, and it wa actually very good to watch.

I bemoaned the keepings off handball ring a ring a rosey of the praccy matches, but even against the most dour, defensive, and boring of footy teams, Sydney, we attacked pretty consistantly after qtr time, and actually strangled them.

All in all a pretty entertaining game of football.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im with maddog on this one. How can you tell it wasnt swans people?
Would never boo a StKilda team, hell Im on record as an ardent Rix supporter, and will back any player that pulls on the colours. So find it a bit hypocritical that a few previous posters get upset over this yet stick it to players not blessed with NDS skills.
But ....
I have seen a game since the 90's and I do understand the tactics of holding possession, but what frustrates me is:
-when a stkilda player holds the ball above his head to indicate possession play, you can assume the opposition is about to score a goal.
- the switch play is fine but in order for it to work the cross field pass must a have the second movement going forward. So many times it ends up coming back to where it started.
- the two players left in the back half watch their team mates trot down to the foward 50mt with little regard to their position or working free to get the next possession.
-THEN when there are 34 players in our 50mt arc the ball ends up being bombed in long any way. (this is usually when the oppposition scores with a fast break because we have already switched off)
-we dont seem to be able to move the ball with precision passing to the 30-40mt for a shot on goal.
- Hawks/geelong have no qualms about kicking to 50/50

Seeya
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Hawks/geelong have no qualms about kicking to 50/50
we need to back our chosen key forwards to win a 50/50 contest. if they can't consistently win more than they lose they are probably in the wrong position.

JacksonsGirl
Club Player

I was sitting in the members reserved seating area and the comments were happening in there.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

To all the booers on Sat night

Hate to tell you but since the hawks took out Geelong with the rolling zone switches, chipped around kicks handballs etc. will be around all year.

The good news is when Riewoldt gets back to some quick leads and safe hands, it places us better than teams with slow moving targets.

Shane Crawford pointed out that teams trying to get the rolling zone happening in one season are going to lose as many as they win. We have done our extra defensive apprenticeship and already have a good structure ready to go.

A swans fan mate once told me defensive tactics like flooding are only boring when your on the loosing end. By the end of round one I agree.

We could do with a fast moving small forward like Ross Tungatalum out there to mop up some spills and defend the ball going out.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 2:22am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

You could hear the Saints fans booing in TV.............. Barry Hall that is, loved it and not really like us to do that. :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:Hate to tell you but since the hawks took out Geelong with the rolling zone switches, chipped around kicks handballs etc. will be around all year.

The good news is when Riewoldt gets back to some quick leads and safe hands, it places us better than teams with slow moving targets.

Shane Crawford pointed out that teams trying to get the rolling zone happening in one season are going to lose as many as they win. We have done our extra defensive apprenticeship and already have a good structure ready to go.

A swans fan mate once told me defensive tactics like flooding are only boring when your on the loosing end. By the end of round one I agree.

We could do with a fast moving small forward like Ross Tungatalum out there to mop up some spills and defend the ball going out.
Personally, I find defensive footy is only boring if played by bad teams. The same kind of teams who manage to make attacking football look clumsy.

I can see why those who don't go as often get frustrated - defensive football ends up affecting the skills of both teams, creates slow buildups, and really doesn't work on TV.

However, it's not the Hawks who have created the handball fest we see these days. The West Coast Eagles were setting records for possessions per game handballing through the Sydney on ball flood in '05 and '06. The Cats are much more handball happy than the Hawks - and those are 2 "attacking" teams, whose skills got/get raved about... and even prior to that, while the Lions didn't run in the kind of numbers of those two teams, they did like to put together run using the handball - it made the game about the midfield, and that was a game that the Brisbane Lions used to win more often than lose.

The handball fest is actually offensive strategy to take on the zone. As the switch is the kicking tactic to reduce the number of defenders your players are facing and open space, the group run is to try and generate a numbers advantage with possession - much as the zone is to generate a numbers advantage at the contest.

The zones will be around all year, but don't expect a revolution in '09 (in spite of what we saw in the NAB cup)... what really sets the Hawks gameplan apart is the degree to which all it's parts are integrated. An offensive rush leads to a defensive setup leads to a rebound. Rinse. Repeat. Refine.

The fundamental rebound has been around for a while now. Teams trying to implement an entirely new gameplan are going to find their drilling at least as suspect as any plan itself. Mid ladder teams are going to stop fiddling mid year at the latest and prioritise having everyone marching to the same tune in an effective plan rather than the best possible plan with the team's unity questionable - a zone is only as strong as it's weakest links.

The evolution will only come through as the Melbourne's, West Coast's and Essendon's improve, bringing their own styles up the ladder. Those at the top now will simply continue to tweak. A full change will result in a season like teh Saints 2007 campaign.

That won't stop people booing it though, there will always be those who will insist that the football of the 70s was fundamentally better than that of today.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Loyal
Club Player

or this one in the first quarter:-

"GIVE HIM A TARGET!!!!!!"

.. wait, that was me :(